Apple promoting iPhone 4 in four new FaceTime ads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

Was I the only one expecting the woman to take off her clothes in the last commercial?

LOL

"are you alone.."

"you know that thing we've been working on recently.."
  • Reply 22 of 70
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mate, trust me, you're definitely not.

In any FaceTime ad, past, present or future, anything that involves a reasonably attractive woman of legal age of consent... I expect (or at least imagine) some nudity to happen.

That should be the fifth ad. Stunning SoCal girl talking to bf at say, Yale or something. ".... I miss you. Let me show you how much (pause ...girl blows big kiss). Now handsome, aren't you glad we got the phones?"

At AZ State or UCSB the english would be too painful to bear.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

Was I the only one expecting the woman to take off her clothes in the last commercial?

I was expecting them all to (well, maybe not the grandad).

I don't really like these ads. The original one with the Apple staff seemed a lot more genuine. When you see the aged eyes of Scott Forstall looking into the camera talking about his daughter, it conveyed a sense of why some of them builds these products. They see a need to use these products in their everyday lives.

But in that ad, you also get the less genuine elements like Greg Joswiak with the rimless glasses and caricature expressions to maintain some false ideal perceptions. Jonny Ive with his pretentious designer way of talking.

When you have actors in these shots, it loses the whole genuine appeal. It's like when Microsoft have shots of a family event with one black, asian, hispanic, caucasian person or mixed race or when they have a perfect family of 4 in their middle-class minimalist living room playing games together in front of the big TV.

I'd say even the 'When you're smiling' iPhone ad was better than these. I don't think they're terrible and they certainly would appeal to some but the reality just isn't there. When is a teenage daughter going to get a $700 phone same as her dad instead of a $20 webcam? When is a grandad going to get a smartphone instead of a $10 no-contract phone off Amazon, not to mention how the guy finds an open wifi connection in a hospital. Even a man and wife having an iPhone 4 each seems a bit of a stretch.

Once you narrow down the odds of people who own an iPhone 4 each, who have access to wifi at the same time to make a call, who aren't a dysfunctional family and actually want to talk to each other, it's gonna be like 6 people using this thing including Steve and Jonny.

As for the Droid people, their claim won't be about aliens at all but simply that they can do the same thing and over 3G using Fring or maybe Skype - they have front facing cameras too. They will also rightly claim people have been doing this for years, like with a Sony Ericsson k800i from 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP19WoVBeU4
  • Reply 24 of 70
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

reminiscent of the oriental tearjerker spot Apple created and debuted at WWDC.

Nice ads, but... Oriental? WTF?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

When you have actors in these shots, it loses the whole genuine appeal. It's like when Microsoft have shots of a family event with one black, asian, hispanic, caucasian person or mixed race or when they have a perfect family of 4 in their middle-class minimalist living room playing games together in front of the big TV.

I think that what's critical is that they're not passing these off as real, candidly shot moments. Everyone knows they've been scripted and filmed. They're meant to be emotive, which they are. We're all familiar with these situations, or if we're not we can empathize. My father wants to get an iPhone 4 so that we can talk when I leave home and start my job. It's a common pattern.

Quote:

When is a teenage daughter going to get a $700 phone same as her dad instead of a $20 webcam? When is a grandad going to get a smartphone instead of a $10 no-contract phone off Amazon, not to mention how the guy finds an open wifi connection in a hospital. Even a man and wife having an iPhone 4 each seems a bit of a stretch.

I'm not sure that a couple both having an iPhone when they're already sharing a family plan is that strange. If they didn't before, Facetime seems like it would likely push them over the edge. I also don't know where your $700 number is coming from ? why would they buy the phones unlocked?

Boyfriend to girlfriend is a big sell. Skype video calling is really popular among friends and couples and being able to remove yourself from the computer is big. It's not hard to find WiFi and eventually it'll be on 3G. I think the reasoning is that grandparents would buy an iPhone 4 -in order to- talk with their grandchildren, not that they would just happen to have one already. That kind of thing is a really strong sell. Also, I can't corroborate this, but I've read that free WiFi is becoming more and more common in hospitals, particularly newer ones. Expectations are different these days.

Quote:

As for the Droid people, their claim won't be about aliens at all but simply that they can do the same thing and over 3G using Fring or maybe Skype - they have front facing cameras too. They will also rightly claim people have been doing this for years

What the iPhone 4 will have on its side is ubiquity and zero setup. You'll know which of your closest friends and family members have iPhone 4s since these are the people you'll want to be talking with the most. Soon, once it comes to other phones, it'll be even bigger.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

LOL

"are you alone.."

"you know that thing we've been working on recently.."

That should have ended with her showing some of the completed pottery they've been working on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

That should be the fifth ad. Stunning SoCal girl talking to bf at say, Yale or something. ".... I miss you. Let me show you how much (pause ...girl blows big kiss). Now handsome, aren't you glad we got the phones?"

At AZ State or UCSB the english would be too painful to bear.

• Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

I don't really like these ads. The original one with the Apple staff seemed a lot more genuine. When you see the aged eyes of Scott Forstall looking into the camera talking about his daughter, it conveyed a sense of why some of them builds these products. They see a need to use these products in their everyday lives.

But in that ad, you also get the less genuine elements like Greg Joswiak with the rimless glasses and caricature expressions to maintain some false ideal perceptions. Jonny Ive with his pretentious designer way of talking.

F* me the more I see the iPhone4 videos, Greg and Jonny look like, really, really high. Jonny particularly, maybe it's the lighting or just him, he seems like he's in another world. That explains the antenna design, probably.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    jurajjuraj Posts: 8member
    [QUOTE=Marvin;1672265]

I don't really like these ads.

That's fine with me and no discussion about that from my side.

Overall, your post left me with the intent to give you a big hug and say: Hey, the world might seem so bad (feel free to replace bad with another adjective), but it isn't!

Come on...
  • Reply 28 of 70
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If you stop the commercial BEFORE the punchline they'd be great and genuine. It just gets too scripted each time they wrap it up with the punchline. It just kills the magic every time.

... especially the last one.. and the baby one.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

If you stop the commercial BEFORE the punchline they'd be great and genuine. It just gets too scripted each time they wrap it up with the punchline. It just kills the magic every time.

... especially the last one.. and the baby one.

Yeah that would be quite avant garde[?] actually, if you had to mentally "fill-in" the last line.

Sadly, for the average American audience, that could be asking too much.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Really like the way you present all 4 commercials in an iPad friendly way we can view each one easily. I agree with the most positive comments above.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Just a bit too sappy for my tastes.

How about something more... pratical?

As an eg - Daughter calling dad for help on a project she is working on?

Although I have not used FaceTime, have you noticed how steady the user is holding the phone in these videos? To me it really sticks out. I presume real life use is not that steady?
  • Reply 32 of 70
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"or presenting a creepy woman muttering about esoteric features"

I though she was cute. Not beautiful, just cute. She just had a bad director.

Wait! what? Girl? I thought that was Macaulay Culkin.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    ... but I'm sure it will work with the intended customer; indeed. I would do something like the keynote video about the product, but with customers talking about the product.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Luckily they are on wifi. If they were on 3G they would drop the call because three of the four off camera subjects are holding the phone incorrectly...
  • Reply 35 of 70
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    This is lame
  • Reply 36 of 70
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

not to mention how the guy finds an open wifi connection in a hospital.

Every hospital of more than moderate size I've been to recently has had public wifi. One of the big drivers for the change has been that Doctors want to use their own laptop computers/mobile devices for research. You don't want them using their home pc's on your internal network so you allow them access to a public wifi with encryption. If they need access to hospital systems they authenticate in through the firewall.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Very mart commercials.

However, there is something fundamentally skewed when making use of such pure emotions and human experiences in order to sell a product in such a convincing, cathartic manner: pregnancy, hearing impaired soldier separated from his loved ones, a daughters graduation( all in the first commercial). Not that it's a new concept, just sort of unnerving. We are living in a very emotional age and Apple is expertly playing that hand.

Apple is also selling Facetime as if it were a practical application, which they would have to, but the reality is that it's going to be a while, and most likely only when the networks allow the functionality, that it becomes ubiquitous and useful in the ways that they present it.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 41member
    One of the hallmarks of Apple is that they focus on benefits rather than features. That's right out of the Marketing 101 textbook, but so many companies fail to embrace that. I like that Apple focuses on what technology can DO FOR PEOPLE (or what it allows them to do), rather than simply focusing on what the technology can do.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

However, there is something fundamentally skewed when making use of such pure emotions and human experiences in order to sell a product in such a convincing, cathartic manner: pregnancy, hearing impaired soldier separated from his loved ones, a daughters graduation( all in the first commercial). Not that it's a new concept, just sort of unnerving. We are living in a very emotional age and Apple is expertly playing that hand.

Where have you been for the last 100 years?

Lots of advertisers have done this for ages - it's just that some are a lot more subtle.

There are several ways to advertise:

- Educate consumer

- Humor

- Appeal to greed

- Appeal to emotions

The latter is not at all uncommon, just the theme changes. A few years ago, the appeal was often to patriotism. Appeal to family ties tends to show up in every generation. How about those McDonald's commercials at Christmas every year. Some of them STILL make me cry.

Apple's not doing anything new here or breaking any original ground. They're just attempting to do something routine better than anyone else. Whether they pull it off remains to be seen. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new ads campaign for iPhone 4 have shifted from "there's an app for that," to a message targeting a specific new app: FaceTime.

Great ads.

But has anybody seen, The Story Behind the Apps video. Well worth the 5 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../5/kTcpa_KCSBY

And for all of us who are proud of our Apple relationships, check out the library of 28 videos now available.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Apple#g/u