The official WAG forum for new iMacs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, let the games begin!

When will the new models be released?

How many cores?

Who really GAFRA about BluRay capabilities?

Can I use the display as a mirror to aid in adjusting my tie?

Why not have ports on the front, for those of us with no fashion sense?

Why won't it have an eSATA port?

Only serious replies, please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I'm sure Apple will make it unibody and as thin/small as possible, so you can continue to pay top dollar for a C2D and integrated graphics...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Harsh, but true.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'm sure Apple will make it unibody and as thin/small as possible, so you can continue to pay top dollar for a C2D and integrated graphics...

No sh*t.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Okay, let the games begin!

When will the new models be released?

When they are ready.

Seriously when Apple is rushed to deliver something is when things really get screwed up. IOS is a perfectly good example here, people complain about the hardware, that is iPhone 4 but fail to see just how bad iOS is right now. There are other examples however I see the current iOS release as pretty bad.

So Apple needs to take it's time with the iMac and do a solid update.

Quote:

How many cores?

4 in the base model, six or eight in the high end models.

Quote:

Who really GAFRA about BluRay capabilities?

Can I use the display as a mirror to aid in adjusting my tie?

Those screens are glossy because they work better for most people.

Quote:

Why not have ports on the front, for those of us with no fashion sense?

That is a good question! However I don't see it as a fashion problem, rather the designers just need to work harder to integrate front mounted ports. Apple is simply lazy here. At least with the Mini you can sit the unit on your desk front to the rear.

Quote:

Why won't it have an eSATA port?

eSATA is a stupid idea that is to limited in function to use as an external port. If Apple really wanted to push technology forward they would slot in LightPeak which has a future and real speed. Considering the state of CPU and GPU hardware that might be the only way to generate technical excitement.

Quote:

Only serious replies, please.

IMac is still one of the best values on the market so I dnt understand all the hand twisting.

The lack of good Apple rumors this year is a little strange. I havethis feeling we will be seeing a major overhaul of Apples desktop lines in the coming weeks.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 15
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The lack of good Apple rumors this year is a little strange. I havethis feeling we will be seeing a major overhaul of Apples desktop lines in the coming weeks.

Dave

YOU have hit on the reason that I started this thread. Normally, several folks would be climbing the walls by now in anticipation of new iMac models. After all, it's been 9 months since the current models hit the market. The fact that we don't see the same level of anticipation might well be attributed to the higher level of satisfaction that the current model enjoys. Not that new models wouldn't be welcomed, but more along the lines of this one is so good that there's no particular hurry.

Personally, I have no complaints concerning my 2008 24" iMac, it was a huge upgrade from my older G5 iMac, for what I do (photograpy). I think iMacs have arrived, and I'm going to replace an old G4 Quicksilver with the next iMac release. I love the glossy display, and I reserve the right to tweak those who denigrate it!

The rest of the post was just more tweaking!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

YOU have hit on the reason that I started this thread. Normally, several folks would be climbing the walls by now in anticipation of new iMac models. After all, it's been 9 months since the current models hit the market. The fact that we don't see the same level of anticipation might well be attributed to the higher level of satisfaction that the current model enjoys. Not that new models wouldn't be welcomed, but more along the lines of this one is so good that there's no particular hurry.

I think the issue is more along the lines that there isn't a lot of new technology out there to make a significant upgrade. Thus it is hard to speculate about new XYZ chip if there is little new on the market. About the only thing that could be updated significantly is the GPU and possibly building in LightPeak.

Something like LightPeak could be a reason for the delayed rev. Frankly though I'm not sure how major of an overhaul LightPeak is. I'm not even sure if this is PCI Express tech or something integrated closer to memory.

Quote:

Personally, I have no complaints concerning my 2008 24" iMac, it was a huge upgrade from my older G5 iMac, for what I do (photograpy). I think iMacs have arrived, and I'm going to replace an old G4 Quicksilver with the next iMac release. I love the glossy display, and I reserve the right to tweak those who denigrate it!

The last round of iMac revs really made for a machine that is an excelllent value. That likely makes a rev today more difficult.

Quote:

The rest of the post was just more tweaking!

Apple is still in good shape with the iMac, but like I said it is very strange that zero rumors have issued forth. It is almost as if Apple turned off the rumors spigot.

In any event I somewhat prefer it this way. Atleast in the sense that Apple takes the time to get the hardware update correct. It's pretty obvious that iOS and iPhone 4 where rushed to meet a debut date. That is not what we need as customers.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 15
    >When will the new models be released?

I don't think we have long to wait.

According to Apple Australia's availability guide,

There is no new stock available of any current iMac model,

and no shipping date.

It seems that they still have some stock for their own stores,

but once that depletes.....
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidOverdose View Post

>When will the new models be released?

I don't think we have long to wait.

The iMac has exceeded the average number of days between updates. This means update anytime now but it could also go for September.

I am expecting only incremental updates this time with more significant ones next year.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    With the holidays in July/August I expect September.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

With the holidays in July/August I expect September.

What August holidays? BTW, the only July holiday, the 4th, is long gone. Maybe you forgot, there IS a holiday in September, although I cannot fathom what holidays have to do with any of this.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

What August holidays? BTW, the only July holiday, the 4th, is long gone. Maybe you forgot, there IS a holiday in September, although I cannot fathom what holidays have to do with any of this.

He probably means that summer is a period of relatively low consumption for electronic equipment due to the fact most people leave for vacation. I don't know if this happens in the US too but it is true for Europe. Obviously this can affect the schedule of a company about the release of new products.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

He probably means that summer is a period of relatively low consumption for electronic equipment due to the fact most people leave for vacation. I don't know if this happens in the US too but it is true for Europe. Obviously this can affect the schedule of a company about the release of new products.

And the fact the every model of iPhone has been released in this same "holiday" time frame means what?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

And the fact the every model of iPhone has been released in this same "holiday" time frame means what?

Was that in July-August or June? Anyway, you pay much less for an iPhone than for an iMac and you put it to good use while you are on vacation. The iMac is not going to leave home.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Summer holidays just aren't congested like the are in Europe. Instead of everybody taking off at the same time holidays are taken to support personal interests.

Given the state of Intel hardware suitable for iMacs Apple could wait a bit longer for Sandy Bridge. Or they could do a minor update real soon now. There are considerable rumors about Intel moving Sandy Bridge forward so there is hope at least for the low end. Otherwise we are talking minor bumps.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Was that in July-August or June? Anyway, you pay much less for an iPhone than for an iMac and you put it to good use while you are on vacation. The iMac is not going to leave home.

June, but, here in the US, Summer vacation time is June-July-August for folks with families because that's when the schools are closed, and kids aren't tied down to attendance. OTOH, many folks (mostly those without kids) avoid vacationing during that time to simply avoid the crowds that must be dealt with at many vacation locations. Not, that I think it makes a whit of difference as to when Apple will release products. This is also the same time frame for Apple educational deals, which will end in September. So, it is a time of increased sales, at least to those that qualify for them. "Buy a new Mac and get an iPod free" is a very strong sales incentive.