Apple promoting iPhone 4 in four new FaceTime ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synotic View Post

Nice ads, but... Oriental? WTF?.

I know. These occidentals say the darndest things, sometimes.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Although I have not used FaceTime, have you noticed how steady the user is holding the phone in these videos? To me it really sticks out. I presume real life use is not that steady?

It is remarkably steady in actual use. That's perhaps what the gyroscope is for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Luckily they are on wifi. If they were on 3G they would drop the call because three of the four off camera subjects are holding the phone incorrectly...

Facetime only works on wifi.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

Was I the only one expecting the woman to take off her clothes in the last commercial?

I totally was. Might have seen some Bollywood pron.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was expecting them all to (well, maybe not the grandad).

I don't really like these ads. The original one with the Apple staff seemed a lot more genuine. When you see the aged eyes of Scott Forstall looking into the camera talking about his daughter, it conveyed a sense of why some of them builds these products. They see a need to use these products in their everyday lives.

But in that ad, you also get the less genuine elements like Greg Joswiak with the rimless glasses and caricature expressions to maintain some false ideal perceptions. Jonny Ive with his pretentious designer way of talking.

When you have actors in these shots, it loses the whole genuine appeal. It's like when Microsoft have shots of a family event with one black, asian, hispanic, caucasian person or mixed race or when they have a perfect family of 4 in their middle-class minimalist living room playing games together in front of the big TV.

I'd say even the 'When you're smiling' iPhone ad was better than these. I don't think they're terrible and they certainly would appeal to some but the reality just isn't there. When is a teenage daughter going to get a $700 phone same as her dad instead of a $20 webcam? When is a grandad going to get a smartphone instead of a $10 no-contract phone off Amazon, not to mention how the guy finds an open wifi connection in a hospital. Even a man and wife having an iPhone 4 each seems a bit of a stretch.

Once you narrow down the odds of people who own an iPhone 4 each, who have access to wifi at the same time to make a call, who aren't a dysfunctional family and actually want to talk to each other, it's gonna be like 6 people using this thing including Steve and Jonny.

As for the Droid people, their claim won't be about aliens at all but simply that they can do the same thing and over 3G using Fring or maybe Skype - they have front facing cameras too. They will also rightly claim people have been doing this for years, like with a Sony Ericsson k800i from 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP19WoVBeU4

There you are, a brain the size of a planet... [sight]

You have my sympathy. Really.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Quote:

Was I the only one expecting the woman to take off her clothes in the last commercial?

Nope. But then I remembered this was an Apple commercial.

Maybe some other time...
  • Reply 46 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Just a bit too sappy for my tastes.

How about something more... pratical?

As an eg - Daughter calling dad for help on a project she is working on?

Although I have not used FaceTime, have you noticed how steady the user is holding the phone in these videos? To me it really sticks out. I presume real life use is not that steady?

The in-phone videos in the iPhone 4 launch ads were really shaky. These ads have simulated shots showing the video being much, much more stable than they would be in real life, IMO.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is remarkably steady in actual use. That's perhaps what the gyroscope is for...

Ah, interesting... I thought they looked really shaky in the iPhone4 launch videos.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    glgbnafglgbnaf Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new ads campaign for iPhone 4 have shifted from "there's an app for that," to a message targeting a specific new app: FaceTime.

A series of four new spots present family members using FaceTime to interact in series of warmly sentimental circumstances reminiscent of the oriental tearjerker spot Apple created and debuted at WWDC.

The new ads present a daughter shy about her braces being coaxed into a smile by her father, a son showing his father his new granddaughter, a girl showing off her new haircut to her boyfriend, and a woman breaking the news to her husband that she's pregnant.

The new spots demonstrate Apple's marketing savvy, as each spot tugs a customers' heartstrings, rather than simply bragging about hardware specs by comparing smartphones to some kind of an alien invasion (as Verizon's odd Droid ads), or presenting a creepy woman muttering about esoteric features (as Palm did with its bizarre Pre commercials).

Ya I found that strange I'm thinking of sprints htc evo and sell my iPhone 4???
  • Reply 49 of 70
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new spots demonstrate Apple's marketing savvy, as each spot tugs a customers' heartstrings, rather than simply bragging about hardware specs by comparing smartphones to some kind of an alien invasion (as Verizon's odd Droid ads), or presenting a creepy woman muttering about esoteric features (as Palm did with its bizarre Pre commercials).

They do. Bragging about hardware design has once allowed for ``retarded blogosphere ' ' and stock manipulators being able to completely mess and spoil the launch of the most interesting Apple product.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    jarinajarina Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Agreed. I don?t see myself using FaceTime much, as I have rarely used it on my Mac with iChat A/V, Skype or other apps, but they sure make me want to.

Oddly enough I thought I wouldnt' either. But once I got the phone I keep finding reasons to use it. It's great!
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Apple did a great job showing how FaceTime can be used to enhance your life. I like how they go for emotions over tech specs. The new iPhone is a device that is surrounded by emotions and I'm happy to see they brought that into their ad campaign.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:

• Reply 53 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

One of the hallmarks of Apple is that they focus on benefits rather than features. That's right out of the Marketing 101 textbook, but so many companies fail to embrace that. I like that Apple focuses on what technology can DO FOR PEOPLE (or what it allows them to do), rather than simply focusing on what the technology can do.

Well, I think that's actually the key to Apple's success, that they do that in their product development as well as in their marketing. It's also why technology fetishists often just don't get it.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amex View Post

So what?

i love the droid ads. i hate these. it's creepy. it's extra creepy that they're all about screwing and having babies. what the hell? dude, that's NOT why i bought the phone.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I like how there are three scenes to watch in each one. There's the main screen of the iPhone, the little screen on the face of the iPhone, and the background behind the iPhone. All three are alive.

Really don't like the baby one, though. Too much play up. And, "do you got a minute?" That sounds so forced...
  • Reply 56 of 70
    I find the ads to be horrible and an example of the de-evolution of society. Unless these people are in extreme situations forcing them to be apart for extended periods of time, revealing that you are pregnant or helping your daughter overcome her shyness about her new braces over the phone is horrible to me.

In the meantime, my Core i7 2.66GHZ 15" MacBook Pro continues to be no faster than my old black cased MacBook 2.4GHZ Core2Duo in daily and pro photo editing use.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Really don't like the baby one, though. Too much play up. And, "do you got a minute?" That sounds so forced...

Agreed. I thought the pregnancy one was the weakest. The others were good, but "Meet Her" was really great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I find the ads to be horrible and an example of the de-evolution of society. Unless these people are in extreme situations forcing them to be apart for extended periods of time, revealing that you are pregnant or helping your daughter overcome her shyness about her new braces over the phone is horrible to me.

Pregnancy, I can understand... But you think a father should only help his daughter overcome her shyness about her new braces in person? Or that parents should fly their newborn over to each of its grandparents? Might be bad for the newborn. Before, you'd just mail photos. This just seems to me much more personal and interactive and the complete opposite of the de-evolution of society.

Also, your "extreme situations" might be much more common than you might think. If a father's working long hours to support his family and is rarely home, being able to video chat with his daughter might not be a bad thing. Before, you'd have to do it on your work laptop which might not be very private. Now you can just take a video call and step into a hallway or something and still use your work's WiFi.

I think it'll encourage people to connect more by providing more ways to communicate, but in a way that's more personal than audio-only calls, text messaging, IM and e-mail. I think that's a good thing. If you want to support your de-evolution of society platform, you should probably find something else to argue against — like the sluggishness of your computer. What do you take photos of anyway? I hope they're not as negative as your views .
  • Reply 58 of 70
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Any time a fandroid starts yapping about how he can customize the crap out of his Android phone's wallpaper or home screen, just tell him this: "It's not what you can do to your phone. It's what your phone can do for you."

And in this case, what the Android phone "can do for you" is be customizable to the user's liking. And sometimes it is all about what I can do to my phone. Being able to be customized with additional functions (some requiring root, some free from the Market) means that even in the shadow of newer devices like the Incredible or X, my Droid can still keep up.

After all, I purchased the phone to suit my needs, not make my needs suit the phone.

Quote:

You can follow that up with "So who's really the Android? You or your phone?"

Considering that my phone's the one taking orders from me, my phone's the Android.

Quote:

And any time a fandroid spouts screen size specs, or raves about how great AMOLED looks by candlelight, or slides out an archaic hardware keyboard, just ask him "Does 'Droid do' anything to actually make your life better?"

Actually, it does make my life better. Especially how well integrated Google's services are with Android. Do something online and it appears on my phone moments later. Name something the iPhone does and there's an equivalent on Android. It may not be as beautified as on the iOS, but the functionality is there.

But on topic, I do appreciate the commercials. Hopefully it'll boost the use of video chat across all platforms in the US.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    gvissergvisser Posts: 5member
    All of the actors are brunettes!

There are no blonds or redheads in these Apple ads.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is a certain presupposition in these ads that facetme is ubiquitous and that people are using it daily as the actors don't seem at all amazed by the new technology. That is the main message. People have been using Apple video calls since forever, well since last week at least, so what is your problem? You should get with the program.

Good. That's what you're supposed to get out of it.