Consumer Reports changes stance, cannot recommend Apple's iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 241 of 406
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not as dramatic as the loss of bars appears to show.

I agree the software update will probably alleviate that gross perception but it will do nothing to fix the actual attenuation, which is much worse than for other phones including previous iPhones (3Gs at least).
  • Reply 242 of 406
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

They can also issue a software fix, which is what they told us they are going to do.

And the point of your reply?

You said...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

This is a non issue. The only "problem" is the bar display, which is going to be improved in a software update real soon now.

I would hardly say that that software fix is going to fix the "problem". A bumper or coating would be required. Software alone is not enough.

Its software... not voodoo.
  • Reply 243 of 406
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Tape and bumpers are not the answer people. Seriously.

They need to apply a coating to the antennas. It would be clear but enough to stop the issue from happening. Unfortunately, that would involve a recall, or at the very least a trip to the Apple store and a Genius to swap out the antennas with coated ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Um, I've still yet to meet anyone demonstrating that this is a 'problem'.

Again...

"Doc... it hurts when I do this."

"Then don't do that".

Move your GD finger a millimeter.

The antenna design is still a vast improvement for those not trying to get in on a phony class action.

I'm afraid you are wrong,

My wife has the 16GB iPhone 4 and I have the 32GB iPhone 4, and we both have the problem,..

the signal bars are up and down like a yoyo, 3G speeds also vary,.. we both now have cases on the phones and still the signal dances up and down,.. and you say there is not a problem,..

Our previous 3GS models did not have these issues period,..

I think its time for everyone to get real!!

wake up and smell the coffee,...
  • Reply 244 of 406
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I agree the software update will probably alleviate that gross perception but it will do nothing to fix the actual attenuation, which is much worse than for other phones including previous iPhones (3Gs at least).

Yet, it's reported by many that the reception is much better. It seems that the improved reception from the external antenna and the drop from holding it are pretty much a wash.

The signal loss from bridging the seam is a completely separate issue that, based on data from all reports, only occurs on some phones.
  • Reply 245 of 406
    nbcbubbanbcbubba Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

No issues here. For those that have issues, return it. - Get whatever flavour of droid that takes your fancy. just STFU and get on with life.

Spend your time doing something about the gulf spill. Contact your reps in congress, put your fat mouth to work for something worthwhile!

Bravo sir. Well said!!
  • Reply 246 of 406
    OH NO, is apple going to go belly up now?
  • Reply 247 of 406
    Quote:

Yet, it's reported by many that the reception is much better. It seems that the improved reception from the external antenna and the drop from holding it are pretty much a wash.

Not a wash in my experience.

Quote:

The signal loss from bridging the seam is a completely separate issue that, based on data from all reports, only occurs on some phones.

I don't know where you get that. Who has replaced their iPhone 4 and no longer seen the issue in the same (low-moderate signal) location where it occurred with the previous iPhone 4?
  • Reply 248 of 406
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I don't know where you get that. Who has replaced their iPhone 4 and no longer seen the issue in the same (low-moderate signal) location where it occurred with the previous iPhone 4?

There have been reports in these forums that with 2 iP4s at the same location it occurs with one and not the other. There have also been similar reports elsewhere.
  • Reply 249 of 406
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

I can understand why you are having such a hard time believing this MIGHT just be true. Your iphone 4 is probably working fine for you? That is great for you. If people are to believe you that yours is working fine when you say it is, why is it such a stretch for you to believe others when they tell you theirs is not working properly? How many iPhone 4's will it take, before I can get one that does work, is my question. Mine has been returned twice and I'm on iPhone 4 number three. All three will drop a call when picked up with two fingers anywhere on the sides. I love Apple products and have 10 currently, which is why I will not give up. I believe will improve upon this problem and refuse to believe that this is all we can expect. They have always done pretty well in the past about making things right, so let's hope they stand behind these too. They announced today that they will exchange 2008 Time Capsules within the given range of affected serial numbers, and how much more important is the iPhone line to the company than the Time Capsule line.

Dude or Dudette -- Do you "get" that Apple's business has gone up 30 fold is a SHORT AMOUNT of TIME in a DOWN ECONOMY?

What company out there has had the SALES GROWTH that can MATCH or BEAT Apple?

What do you want? Perfection with Growth? Growth comes AT A COST TO ALL, including YOU AND ME. But we are talking millions upon millions of new customers every 90 days, do you get that? This kind of explosive growth is unprecedented.

BTW - My "old" 3GS just sold on ebay for $340... How many "devices" have you bought over the years can boast a 100% resale value over 12 months, USED????

You are looking for excuses. You are right. I am happy customer that is "reacting" to people like you that want Apple to somehow "come clean" that all iphone 4's are defective. They shouldn't because in my case, the iphone 4 performs as advertised, get it?

I mean you would have a leg to stand on, just one, if you "couldn't return your phone" for a refund or exchange, you can.

My 3GS was SWAPPED out two months ago because the volume buttons stopped working, should I have made HELL on forums like this and demand a recall? I simply went to an Apple store and they swapped it out NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Try doing this with your DRIOD or any other phone and see how "the competition" stands by it's products.

You have no case on Apple betraying it's customers. It isn't perfect at handling EXPLOSIVE growth, guilty as charged. And guess what, you have NOTHING to compare their growth to, nothing. It's unprecedented.
  • Reply 250 of 406
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i sold my 16 GB iPhone 4 on eBay for a cool $800. let that guy deal with the death grip issue. it is real and it is a pain in the a$$.

going back to my google N1 for awhile.

I guess this proves there are enough idiots out there to keep eBay in business. Why would anyone but an idiot spend $800 when they can get one for $200. Plus, I'm curious how you did this without paying AT&T for voiding your contract?

Can you send me the buyer's email? I have some really good deals I would like to offer him/her.
  • Reply 251 of 406
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I guess this proves there are enough idiots out there to keep eBay in business. Why would anyone but an idiot spend $800 when they can get one for $200. Plus, I'm curious how you did this without paying AT&T for voiding your contract?

Can you send me the buyer's email? I have some really good deals I would like to offer him/her.

They could be teiing the truth.

I saw the iPhone 4G on CL for as much as $1200 the first couple of days after it was released.
  • Reply 252 of 406
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Not Applicable...

'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' describes you.
  • Reply 253 of 406
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

And this is if Consumer Reports is really like it was 20 years - A REAL NOT FOR PROFIT business.

I recently signed up to see their "product reviews" of items we all need and care about and they were LAME.

I learn way more from forums like this FOR FREE than their SUBSCRIPTION FEES for a small limited information source.

What's funny is that they FLIP FLOPPED on this issue. I call that UNRELIABLE and UNTRUSTWORTHTY by all accounts.

Well if you want details about 'how' something works, or for specific issues, yes internet is best. But in terms of 'is something a pervasive problem'; or comparing something like 'braking performance' to other vehicles etc etc etc, do you really think a couple dozen or so users blah-blah-ing on a website is more scientific? Look how long this thread is because there is not that many 'well known' scientific tests of this issue.

That said, even if this is not a 'pervasive' issue, then at a minimum Apple may have a perception issue (with a couple million sold, its hard to argue this point). Old saying- perception is reality. Perhaps Apple can wait this out, we shall see.
  • Reply 254 of 406
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themv21 View Post

i guess duct tape does fix everything and should i still get an iphone because i need one before schools starts

That is why the CR report is bogus. If he just wanted to be a comedian, holding up a roll of duct tape, I don't trust him as a scientist. I have tested the phone myself, and yes the bars went down, however the calls do not drop here in my test lab. I do agree, the design is foolish. How it ever made it through quality control is beyond logic.

Even if Apple is able to fix it 99.9% with whatever method they decide to implement, that will not stop the lawyers. Right now a small number of customers are having occasional problems with reception, but a large number of competitors and media companies are enjoying the the hell out of this.

I think Apple will learn a valuable lesson here about why it is always better to be honest and not such a good idea to be a snob.
  • Reply 255 of 406
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Me too. In a few weeks, we will be able to buy unlocked iPhone 4's from Apple in Canada. If that fantasy buyer paid $800 for a locked phone, imagine how much more they'd pay for an Apple unlocked phone. Hell, even if they only pay me $800 US, I imagine I will still be turning a nice profit.

I think I will go in an buy a dozen. When my wife asks, I will explain that there are are people in the US willing to pay hundreds of dollars over ticket price. It's true. I read it in the internet,
  • Reply 256 of 406
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Um, they aren't idiots, those phones are OFF CONTRACT. I just sold my 3GS from last year on ebay for $340. What fools.

Gee maybe there are people that "trust" the iphone. How bout that.
  • Reply 257 of 406
    Quote:

There have been reports in these forums that with 2 iP4s at the same location it occurs with one and not the other. There have also been similar reports elsewhere.

That's the first I've heard of that happening and, at least from my perspective, it's indirect, but I'll keep an extra eye out for the direct reports.
  • Reply 258 of 406
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    No signal SJ is "no issue"? Not any more.
  • Reply 259 of 406
    crossuabcrossuab Posts: 14member
    I did experience reception lost when holding it in my left hand. I wasn't even trying to duplicate results. I'm right handed, but I hold my iphone in my left hand when typing on the screen. Getting a $15 rubber case from BestBuy solved the problem. I refused to pay $30 for the bumpers Apple was selling.
  • Reply 260 of 406
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

OH NO, is apple going to go belly up now?

Doubt It - but with each bite of this Apple, things are tasting increasingly less sweet to many consumers... as reported.