Apple promoting iPhone 4 in four new FaceTime ads

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I find the ads to be horrible and an example of the de-evolution of society. Unless these people are in extreme situations forcing them to be apart for extended periods of time, revealing that you are pregnant or helping your daughter overcome her shyness about her new braces over the phone is horrible to me. .

Really? So in your world, no one has ever been deployed overseas and have to stay for months at a time? Maybe the wife should never tell him she's pregnant until he's back in the US. Maybe the baby will even be born by then. Surprise!

And people never have to travel on business? You can't imagine a father being out of town on business on the day his daughter gets braces?

Must be nice to live in a Ward and June Cleaver world.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    I beta-tested Face Time for 5 whole years*. Never did I feel the urge or necessity to use it. Not once!

The Face Time ads are creating a need where there wasn't one. So they are in essence selling us something we don't need. If that isn't wasteful I don't know what is.

* actually it was video-calling on my Samsung. However, the point is: I could do it, yet I never felt compelled to.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I beta-tested Face Time for 5 whole years*. Never did I feel the urge or necessity to use it. Not once!

The Face Time ads are creating a need where there wasn't one. So they are in essence selling us something we don't need. If that isn't wasteful I don't know what is.

* actually it was video-calling on my Samsung. However, the point is: I could do it, yet I never felt compelled to.

That's nice. So if you don't need it, it's useless. When did you become God Emperor?
  • Reply 64 of 70
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What is interesting is that the main user is your 18-35 year old male in all the ads. They do all centre around being in a relationship, 3 of which involve children. This main user, or protagonist, I would say, is NEVER SHOWN. Which in other words, puts the viewer, and target audience of 18-35 males, as the protagonist.

I had the same thought. These ads are aimed at men, who are all using the phone to look at their cute girlfriends, daughters or wives (in three out of the four ads someone said "you're beautiful" or "you're cute" explicitly). But this has still got to have more appeal to women than those Droid ads that seem to be targeted solely at 24-year old gamers.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Yeah, before the iPhone, people didn't have any need for touchscreen-based smartphones either. How dare Apple make an old technology useful enough for people to want to use!
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's nice. So if you don't need it, it's useless. When did you become God Emperor?

When I became a customer and made Jobs c.s. rich.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I had the same thought. These ads are aimed at men, who are all using the phone to look at their cute girlfriends, daughters or wives (in three out of the four ads someone said "you're beautiful" or "you're cute" explicitly). But this has still got to have more appeal to women than those Droid ads that seem to be targeted solely at 24-year old gamers.

With respect, I think you are looking at it the wrong way. It has been my experience that generally women like to talk more than men. Every woman likes to be told that they are beautiful. When you combine the two it is subliminally offering to women "Hey, if you have one of these you will have a more loving relationship with someone" (of course this can extend to all gender preferences). The interaction will be so much better than a phone call as you can see more body language, which ladies are often better at picking up than men.

This is not aimed at "Hey, can you pick up some milk on your way home" situations.

Of course this is just my opinion.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

With respect, I think you are looking at it the wrong way. It has been my experience that generally women like to talk more than men. Every woman likes to be told that they are beautiful. When you combine the two it is subliminally offering to women "Hey, if you have one of these you will have a more loving relationship with someone" (of course this can extend to all gender preferences). The interaction will be so much better than a phone call as you can see more body language, which ladies are often better at picking up than men.

This is not aimed at "Hey, can you pick up some milk on your way home" situations.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Oh hell, I just realised these ads will also make women want to get the iPhone4 so they can get ever more attention from their dad/ boyfriend/ husband !!!

"Honey, why aren't you wearing that shirt I gave you?"

"Honey, where did you put that big teddy bear I put in a totally obnoxious and emasculating place in your apartment?"

"Honey, you don't seem happy to see me..."

"Honey, those don't look like my underwear on your sofa."
  • Reply 69 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gvisser View Post

All of the actors are brunettes!

There are no blonds or redheads in these Apple ads.

The blondes wouldn't know how to use the phone, and the redheads would already have taken their top off by the time FaceTime connects.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oh hell, I just realised these ads will also make women want to get the iPhone4 so they can get ever more attention from their dad/ boyfriend/ husband !!!

"Honey, why aren't you wearing that shirt I gave you?"

"Honey, where did you put that big teddy bear I put in a totally obnoxious and emasculating place in your apartment?"

"Honey, you don't seem happy to see me..."

"Honey, those don't look like my underwear on your sofa."

Haha! Classic!

Good you have identified the problem. Now we need a solution. I wonder if there is an app for that?