Consumer Reports changes stance, cannot recommend Apple's iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 321 of 406
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Just an update on my situation. I have an iPhone 4 and have been having the reception issues at home. I just picked up my free 3G MicroCell from AT&T (I got a letter in the mail over the weekend).

My "death grip" problems are now over. I got 5 bars in most of my house before, but could quickly kill off the bars by doing the death grip. Now, I get 5 bars EVERYWHERE in the house and using the death grip results in no loss of bars.

I can now receive a phone call when holding the phone in the death grip instead of it going straight to voicemail. I can also make calls out when using the death grip.

I must say, I'm impressed.
  • Reply 321 of 406
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The last item is what gets me. Does everyone know it's ok to be mad at Apple about this?

Calm down. It's just a cellphone.

As you are aware, Apple knows about the issue and has announced that they will issue an update to fix it.
  • Reply 323 of 406
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I can join a class action lawsuit that their report has caused material damage to the price of the stock I own. In order to "defend" themselves they would need to make all the information available from their "tests".

And frankly, I don't care what the "point" of the duct tape bit was. It demonstrates a serious lack of professionalism when it comes to releasing a report that can impact the sales of millions of phones.

So... what you're saying is you'd like to sue a magazine because they can't recommend a product they've reviewed? Are you saying that people should sue every product reviewer that gives a bad review of a product, even though they're entitled to their own opinion under the constitution?

OMG! TEHY SAYZ THE IPHONES R BAD! I'LL SUE THEIR ASS!

I realize I'm feeding a troll, but Joe, you should at least be creative in your rants. Its not fun otherwise.
  • Reply 324 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The solution is simple: Apple should add the finish to the antenna in the production process. Once they start getting to the shelves, Apple & AT&T should allow users to replace theirs with these new fixed ones. The old ones get sent to a factory where they are sent through a disassembly process (which wouldn't even need to be that complicated) and the phone's antenna gets the new coat. The phones are then sold 25% off as refurbs online (random #, I dont know what they should cost).

Just use a Bumper or any one of the other cases available for the iPhone.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 325 of 406
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Um, I've still yet to meet anyone demonstrating that this is a 'problem'.

Again...

"Doc... it hurts when I do this."

"Then don't do that".

Move your GD finger a millimeter.

The antenna design is still a vast improvement for those not trying to get in on a phony class action.

How about:

"Doc... it hurts when I breathe."

"Then don't breathe".

All LCD monitors display some color shifting when viewed from different angles. But how would you like it if a company made a monitor that displays the worst color shifting when viewed straight on? And then they tell customers that it's normal for monitors to color shift at different angles, so the solution is simply to not look straight at the monitor, but instead look at it from 60 degrees off center.

How about a car which pulls to the side when the steering wheel is completely centered? Then the car company tells the customer to simply keep the steering wheel turned 90 degrees when driving straight ahead.
  • Reply 326 of 406
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s an inexpensive work around for the Bumper, but it’s not a fix (it’s a workaround) and it likely comes with much more expensive costs if they did that. Specifically, even more lawsuits, but this time not just from customers but from case makers who feel they can’t sell a case as easily as before it all iPhones come with a free case.

1) You know his AI alias, use it. It makes you sound immature and it’s grounds from being banned.

2) No iPhone 4 had a case when I did my testing. Do you really think that the extensive testing I’ve mentioned in multiple posts that if it had a case I wouldn’t have once thought to remove it? Seriously?! I’ve mentioned using fingers and salt water, various pieces of metal!

solipsism, you said you tested your iPhone 4 at a cafe with someone else there that had one. Yours you say didn't drop any bars and his did. When you tried his iPhone 4 you say his iPhone 4 dropped bars and when he tested your iPhone 4 it didn't drop any bars. I can believe that that would happen if yours had a case on it and his didn't, otherwise, no I find it very hard to believe. Perhaps you just didn't want to admit it because you wanted get back at those you considered trolls, but in all the testing I have seen all iPhone 4's behave the same way under the same circumstances.

annoyingmouse has called me a troll in just about every post he/she has replied to of mine amongst other insults. Annoyingmouse it is.
  • Reply 327 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Just an update on my situation. I have an iPhone 4 and have been having the reception issues at home. I just picked up my free 3G MicroCell from AT&T (I got a letter in the mail over the weekend).

My "death grip" problems are now over. I got 5 bars in most of my house before, but could quickly kill off the bars by doing the death grip. Now, I get 5 bars EVERYWHERE in the house and using the death grip results in no loss of bars.

I can now receive a phone call when holding the phone in the death grip instead of it going straight to voicemail. I can also make calls out when using the death grip.

I must say, I'm impressed.

The reason you're experience is like that is in how the iPhone is reporting your signal strength. In short, the bars are useless. Five bars of strength have a signal range of about 40db, whereas the remaining 4 bars have an interval of around 13db. If you're on the "high" end of that 40db at 5 bars, the death grip will only drop about 20-25db of signal but keep you in the range of 5 bars, meaning you can still make calls. If you're on the "low" end of that 40db, the death grip may drop your signal below the threshold and thus, go from 5 to 0 very quickly.

In other words, its not surprising the MicroCell made a difference - you had poor reception in your home to begin with. Had the iPhone been properly reporting your signal strength, you would have seen an average of 1 or 2 bars to start with, not 5.

Apple's in for a world of hurt, because their next software update is going to expose just how terrible AT&T's reception is for a lot of people. People are going to think their "fix" actually broke their phones, and blood will flow in the streets. At least now people will know why their calls keep getting dropped.
  • Reply 328 of 406
    Quote:

Frankly, if CR doesn't come out with a LOT more detail about this report, I for one would be willing to join a class action lawsuit against them to acquire and publish that info.

On what grounds? How were you injured?
  • Reply 329 of 406
    Quote:

I can join a class action lawsuit that their report has caused material damage to the price of the stock I own.

That sounds pretty far fetched. Got any examples of a successful suit in these circumstances?
  • Reply 330 of 406
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

The reason you're experience is like that is in how the iPhone is reporting your signal strength. In short, the bars are useless. Five bars of strength have a signal range of about 40db, whereas the remaining 4 bars have an interval of around 13db. If you're on the "high" end of that 40db at 5 bars, the death grip will only drop about 20-25db of signal but keep you in the range of 5 bars, meaning you can still make calls. If you're on the "low" end of that 40db, the death grip may drop your signal below the threshold and thus, go from 5 to 0 very quickly.

In other words, its not surprising the MicroCell made a difference - you had poor reception in your home to begin with. Had the iPhone been properly reporting your signal strength, you would have seen an average of 1 or 2 bars to start with, not 5.

Apple's in for a world of hurt, because their next software update is going to expose just how terrible AT&T's reception is for a lot of people. People are going to think their "fix" actually broke their phones, and blood will flow in the streets. At least now people will know why their calls keep getting dropped.

Well, my wife's iPhone 3GS with iOS4 doesn't have any of the reception issues that my iPhone 4 had.

When doing the death grip on her phone, I could never get it to drop calls or seriously deteriorate internet speeds -- something that would easily happen with my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 331 of 406
    Quote:

Well, my wife's iPhone 3GS with iOS4 doesn't have any of the reception issues that my iPhone 4 had.

When doing the death grip on her phone, I could never get it to drop calls or seriously deteriorate internet speeds -- something that would easily happen with my iPhone 4.

That's why I'm in no hurry to replace my 3GS just yet . I mean, that white iPhone 4 looks sexy, but until Apple fully cops to this problem and does the right thing for their customers (*hint: One free bumper case to every iPhone 4 owner*), I just can't feel comfortable making that purchase and extending my ties to AT&T for another two years. Apple has to earn my business - they don't inherit it.
  • Reply 332 of 406
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

Exactly, and by the way you deserved that fix from ATT, shame Apple hasn't been so helpful.
  • Reply 333 of 406
    kyle172kyle172 Posts: 64member
    Consumer reports main audience I've always thought is for people who either don't know what they are buying or barley enough/no nothing at all. I doubt one reviewer, Who considers duct tape to be a effective fix for it's products. Would convince me to not to buy the iPhone 4. This is just another one of Consumer Reports PR campaigns to get readers.
  • Reply 334 of 406
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism, you said you tested your iPhone 4 at a cafe with someone else there that had one. Yours you say didn't drop any bars and his did. When you tried his iPhone 4 you say his iPhone 4 dropped bars and when he tested your iPhone 4 it didn't drop any bars. I can believe that that would happen if yours had a case on it and his didn't, otherwise, no I find it very hard to believe. Perhaps you just didn't want to admit it because you wanted get back at those you considered trolls, but in all the testing I have seen all iPhone 4's behave the same way under the same circumstances.

annoyingmouse has called me a troll in just about every post he/she has replied to of mine amongst other insults. Annoyingmouse it is.

Oh, you're just annoyed because I showed you for a fool with your wild conspiracy theory about the 3G dialog at the WWDC, which turned out to be nothing but an indication that the phone wasn't activated.

But now, you're flat out calling solipsism a liar. We've seen that you yourself have little regard for the truth, but I think the evidence of his veracity points in the opposite direction. If you aren't a troll, I don't know what a troll is.
  • Reply 335 of 406
    So, how many testers participated in this testing? One, two, or how many? Since everybody has different electrical resistance value, the signal attenuation will be different for each person touching the antenna gap.
  • Reply 336 of 406
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

So... what you're saying is you'd like to sue a magazine because they can't recommend a product they've reviewed? Are you saying that people should sue every product reviewer that gives a bad review of a product, even though they're entitled to their own opinion under the constitution?

And and are you saying that Consumer Reports gets a free pass to say anything they like without publishing the test data to back it up, the stock market equivalent of shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, and owners of the stock in question have no recourse to demand to see that test data?

The "report" says that the loss of connection only occurs "if you're in an area with a weak signal". How weak exactly? They don't say. All they say is that 20 decibles is the amount of "drop" when touching the "gap".

And while it says other phones it tested didn't have "the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4", that statement needs to be clarified, because as it stands it's patently untrue. ANY phone in a weak signal area that has its antenna covered can drop a call.

There's also the issue of IMPROVED signal that many owners are reporting. So there needs to be a serious reporting of how good the phone is versus the other phones when the antenna isn't covered. If it's markedly better, then that's an argument FOR the antenna.
  • Reply 337 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

This is just another one of Consumer Reports PR campaigns to get readers.

What are some of their others?
  • Reply 338 of 406
    Quote:

And and are you saying that Consumer Reports gets a free pass to say anything they like without publishing the test data to back it up, the stock market equivalent of shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, and owners of the stock in question have no recourse to demand to see that test data?

I believe that is correct. AFAIK, the stockholders are not the proper party in interest to bring such a suit.
  • Reply 339 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zeb View Post

Had my iphone 4 since day 1 release day.. Never had a problem with reception

Ditto. And I normally hold it in my left hand, the "wrong" way. On occassion, it will drop a bar or two, but most of the time, it remains at 5 bars, even when bridging the gap between the two antennas on the left side. Nothing in my experience so far justifies CR's harsh position.

Flame away, haters.
  • Reply 340 of 406
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

So are we now trying to discredit CR and NBC?

I don't think it's possible to discredit NBC news any more than they do themselves.

I'm not sure about CR. This story about the iPhone is troubling. I didn't read the actual CR article so I don't know if they apologized to their readers for jumping on the iPhone 4 bandwagon in the first place. It's for sure I will take what CR says with a bit of skepticism in the future.