Apple deletes discussion threads about Consumer Reports and iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Numerous threads pertaining to Consumer Reports' testing of the iPhone 4, which found reception issues, were removed from Apple's official online forums Monday.

Nonprofit consumer advocacy group Consumer Reports said Monday morning that it could not recommend the iPhone 4 due to reception issues that are a result of the design of Apple's latest handset. As first noted by TUAW, numerous threads about the news were started on Apple's official online forums, but were quickly deleted by moderators.

While at least six threads were deleted, some were saved in caches and can still be viewed. The report noted that Apple has been known to delete threads that may be unflattering toward its products from the official online discussion forums.

"Sadly, this isn't the first time we've heard about Apple deleting discussion board threads on topics which are unflattering to Apple's products. It's closer to the fiftieth time," author TJ Luoma wrote. "In fact, we've heard so many reports about this happening that it seems safe to call this standard operating procedure for Apple's discussion boards. That's not to say that there are no negative threads on the discussion boards, but the ones that are there are the ones that Apple's moderators have decided to leave active."

Earlier this month, Consumer reports initially reported that it did not experience signal issues with the iPhone 4, and it found no reason not to buy the handset. But on Monday, the organization did a 180-degree turn, and advised customers not to buy the handset.

The updated conclusion was reached after the nonprofit tested three iPhone 4 handsets inside a controlled radio frequency isolation chambers. The test found that other phones, including the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre, did not experience the same signal-related issues of the iPhone 4.

Apple has said that any mobile phone experiences reception issues when held improperly. It has also said that users can use any case that covers the metal exterior band of the phone, which also acts as its antennas, with a case to prevent conduction through the user's skin.

Earlier this month, Apple revealed that the iPhone 4 calculates bars of signal strength incorrectly, and a software fix is expected to be delivered in the coming weeks. Apple's iOS allots nearly 40 percent of its total possible reception levels to five bars, from -51dB to -91 dB. But the distance from four bars to one bar of reception is much less, from -91dB to -113dB. But that issue is unrelated to hardware, which is where Consumer Reports found fault with the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 171
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Wow, this ain't lookin' good.
  • Reply 2 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    How Low Can They Go?

It's time to 'Apple-Up' and right the situation, not close their eyes in avoidance.

Hint: It's Not Going Away!
  • Reply 3 of 171
    OK.....censor the Apps, fine. Censor me, see you later.
  • Reply 4 of 171
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    They are deleting the standalone threads that aren't asking for support.

They've had a thread since june 23, 2010:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

It's called: Serious antenna problem!

Are you sure they are CENSORING everything??

Is Appleinsider just posting articles based on TUAW articles that just repeat what someone sent to them in an email??
  • Reply 5 of 171
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
  • Reply 6 of 171
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I found an active thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

Hopefully some actual 'Apple support reps' will chime in soon... It's all over the news tonight as well.
  • Reply 7 of 171
    wdw1234wdw1234 Posts: 5member
    ...........you know the ones...3 or 4 dots under their user name. They always, spending the last two years or so earning their two or three dots, begin their reply with "Welcome to the Apple Discussions!"....a very spooky salutation.

These guys are deadly. Don't cross them... they're nutty.
  • Reply 8 of 171
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Apple has every right to delete threads pointing to the obviously biased consumer reports article. The article cites results from tests that in no way mimic real life situations. No one who actually owns an iPhone experiences these symptoms. Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or an android plant.
  • Reply 9 of 171
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Some very heavyweights are seriously influencing the "Consumer Reports" management.

Such a 180 degrees change of opinion is just ridiculous. Especially when the first opinion was clearly explained that all phones do this to various degrees. Moreover numerous YouTube videos show that the bar drops do not even degrade the voice quality of calls and Apple explained that it is a software issue that they plan to fix.

These heavyweights can push against Apple but it's not gonna work because most everyone has the iPhone and can judge for themselves. They've also had 30 days to return it and have chosen not to do so because it's an awesome mobile phone.

Consumer Report's flip flop only proves to me that they can be bought and their reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

The next iOS update will fix this issue and the world won't need consumer reports to filp flop again since they have been bought and paid for.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 10 of 171
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I don't understand why people think they can put anything on Apple's Discussion boards. Their Apple's forums. Of course they're going to be biased about what's on THEIR own forums. Duh!
  • Reply 11 of 171
    ...And the news isn't much better.

Notwithstanding the fact that it has not even been released in Australia yet, it does seem the media is beginning to warn the public of this.

Courier Mail - Consumer Reports Wont Recomment iPhone 4.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the release in Australia.
  • Reply 12 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Good.

Consumer Report is flip-flopping, praising the iPhone one minute, then dismissing it, then doing some sleight-of-hand back-pedaling. There's no need to entertain any of that. Apple has every right to delete that nonsense from their own boards.
  • Reply 13 of 171
    Do I smell tantrum?
  • Reply 14 of 171
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Apple has every right to delete threads pointing to the obviously biased consumer reports article. The article cites results from tests that in no way mimic real life situations. No one who actually owns an iPhone experiences these symptoms. Anyone who says otherwise is either a troll or an android plant.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Some very heavyweights are seriously influencing the "Consumer Reports" management.

Ok, you guys forgot your /sarcasm tag or you are creeping me out.

Wait. There is a simpler explanation: The real world that I inhabit must be the parallel universe!
  • Reply 15 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I don't understand why people think they can put anything on Apple's Discussion boards. Their Apple's forums. Of course they're going to be biased about what's on THEIR own forums. Duh!

Not to mention they are SUPPORT forums. Irrelevant posts get deleted from there everyday.
  • Reply 16 of 171
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    This is turning into a PR nightmare. If Apple wouldn't have jumped into the stupidity of denial mode to begin with, this would not be a big deal. If they would have simply said "we'll look into the reports" instead of making all the stupid remarks they've made, and offer free bumpers to any iPhone 4 owner who wants one, there would be no PR problem. Way to screw up the biggest product launch in their history.

The reality is, there is a problem, but it's also easily fixed. Apple just needs to pull their heads out of the sand and get to it already. The external side of the antennas need a non-conductive coating applied. That's it! Dang it, get it done already! Sheesh.
  • Reply 17 of 171
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous threads pertaining to Consumer Reports' testing of the iPhone 4, which found reception issues, were been removed from Apple's official online forums Monday.

They were off-topic on a support forum. The moderators did the right thing.
  • Reply 18 of 171
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Good.

Consumer Report is flip-flopping, praising the iPhone one minute, then dismissing it, then doing some sleight-of-hand back-pedaling. There's no need to entertain any of that. Apple has every right to delete that nonsense from their own boards.

The initial report was a preliminary report and had not underwent any extensive testing. Are you seriously doubting the integrity of Consumer Reports or are you disagreeing with anything negative about Apple? If that is the case then you should also consider dismissing all of their reviews of Apple products in which they've always been rated best in class.
  • Reply 19 of 171
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

They've also had 30 days to return it and have chosen not to do so because it's an awesome mobile phone.

Consumer Report's flip flop only proves to me that they can be bought and their reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

The next iOS update will fix this issue and the world won't need consumer reports to filp flop again since they have been bought and paid for.

Time will tell.

Stupidity should be painful. I switched from Verizon, which has impecable reception and got the iPhone 4 through AT&T. I paid an early termination fee, because I expected Apple to know how to make a phone by their 4th Generation, and have found that they made a world-class screw-up. Fortunately, I have discovered a work-around on the antenna issue - turn off the 3G and stick with EDGE and you get about ~10-12 dB better reception.

But, your statement about returning the iPhone is deeply flawed. First off, there is a 10% re-stocking fee - then if I leave AT&T I get a $325 fee for breaking the contract. So, my out of pocket fee is ~$400; not including the $100 I paid AT&T and the $200 I paid for my defective iPhone (and yes, an antenna that shorts out when you touch the phone is a defective product).

So, you obviusly think I should just suck it up, and quietly put up with this feces - ain't happening. You apparently don't have a dog in this fight - so as a person who does have the flawed, defective and partially functional iPhone 4 - please allow me to tell you to STFU. When you pony out your money, and you sign your contract like the rest of us - then you may open your trap and your mouth and your opinion will have merit. Right now, you are nothing but a contemptous fanboi.

You DO NOT fix a hardware defect, with a software patch. A noob would know this. Adjusting the bars so only 2 bars are shown when you have the phone on the table instead of 5 - BFD. I still drop the call if I touch my phone. Here's a news flash ... this is a cell phone that also plays games. It is not a game machine that sometimes makes phone calls too. See the difference? One functional is essential, one is frivilous - figure it out.

Consumer Reports screwed the pooch when they published a technical review without bothering to actually look at data. They pulled a hypothisis from a dark and unsanatary place - and have effectively soiled their magazines technical reputation by stating a flat out lie as the truth. Personally, I wonder how many iPhones that 'mistake' sold - and I wouldn't mind seeing CR get a multi-million dollar fine for their endorsement.

If you are going to open your mouth and make a statement - you had DAMN well better know what the frack you are talking about. CR couldn't be bothered with gathering facts, and that should cost them - it should cost them dearly. I have an idea there are some carboard boxes being filled with desktop belongings as we speak.

I'm angry, I have a dog in this fight; I have a sizeable investment and a 2yr contract that was made on a 'Good Faith' belief that Apple wasn't deliberately committing fraud. It certainly appears that way, doesn't it? Thus far, there is no ETA on the 'patch', and Apple is dodging the facts. Not so much as a "we are looking into this". Just sitting down and ignoring the problem - just like they have done since 2008 with their Time Capsule.

This is not the sort of behaviour would would expect from any reputable company. Apple, you wanted the world's attention - you have it now .... this should be your finest hour - you are making yourself look very, very bad on the international scene. Integrity means something - customers demand it.
  • Reply 20 of 171
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Are you kidding? I demonstrated it to both the Apple store guys and the ATT store guys before returning it for a refund. Denial anyone?