Blu-ray chairman disagrees with Apple chief's assessment of format

Comments

• Reply 61 of 218
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Can someone nail SJ down on a date for download dominance? That might help us along our journey. Can he provide links from universal, warner, disney, sony, lions gate, et al with confirmation? Can he also provide assurance that they'll come together on a DRM-free distribution model and pricing structure?

Serously, he's talking about a wish. No one has the timeline for building the network infra or the consumer adoption. If it did exist today, who here wouldn't be bitching about the insane price or the network provider chosen by the exalted one?
  • Reply 62 of 218
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Personally, I think that the true replacement for DVD is Flash sticks -- reusable, stable and cheap.

what's not to like?
  • Reply 63 of 218
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Yes, Steve Jobs, BluRay licensing costs are "too high" for you, but you're more than happy to raise prices for everyone else.

Blimey hypocrite.

your right, it is BS.

Apple has record profits, high margins and god forbid they actually develop a computer with

1- Blu-Ray

2- HDMI output (with mini Displayport also) for computers like laptops so when on road, you can do HD on external monitors. hell Mac Mini has both, why not a MBP?

Jobs excuses are lame, Apple is rolling in the cash. They could make this tech optional and even pass along the costs to consumers. god forbid they actually give the consumers who want it a choice.

the end result is clear, Apple is stonewalling Blu-Ray for protection of the ITunes movie store. Never mind that many consumers of Apple products own or rent BD content. We don't need apple to manipulate this to protect their corporate agenda. this is bordering on anti-trust.
  • Reply 64 of 218
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Personally, I think that the true replacement for DVD is Flash sticks -- reusable, stable and cheap.

what's not to like?

Duplication on Blu-ray disc physical media <= $0.25 US for 50GB. It's the content that costs. Expected post-box office sales is part of what finances the original motion picture. What's a 32GB flash drive run these days?
  • Reply 65 of 218
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Excuse me but you seem to be the idiot. You apparently know nothing about Apple or else you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. Apple is famous for NOT raising prices while at the same time improving the features and functions of the newest model (faster processors, more memory, speedier graphics, higher resolution screens) WITHOUT raising the price = providing even greater value! The other key factor about blu-ray is that the movies sold on these disks are ridiculously expensive! A ripoff by the studios. The benefit of watching blu-ray content on a smaller computer screen is minimal and not even worth arguing about. Its a large screen format.

The recent Mac Mini release would say you are wrong.
  • Reply 66 of 218
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

what's not to like?

Well the price of them is high, and they are poor quality
  • Reply 67 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fusion View Post

If it weren't for DRM and greedy license models, you could walk into a store with your 8GB thumb drive and load up on any rental movie you want in any "industry approved" format available. Well I spose you might need 32GB if your going the exact format of blu ray. Think about it:

- Environmental impact of all those optical media ELIMINATED

- Cost of new formats greatly decreased since the political license-technology war is moot

- New formats solidified much more quickly due to lack of aforementioned politics

- Stupid, bulky DVD packaging gone forever

- Convenience of loading (and UNLOADING, since it's easy to load) new movies via whatever medium you choose

But OH NOeeessss people might copy it. One day there will be no DRM. In the meantime, the consumer (and often the artist) continues to get slammed. I can't even copy music I made to my friends cause my damn iPod won't let me. Those who copy will continue to copy, with greater ease every day. Those who purchase will continue to purchase, with a small atrophy of those who only buy because they weren't savvy enough to copy. You can't stop the inevitable. You can only criminalize your customer base. Good luck DRM!

8 GB? I have to assume you are trying to be funny as that is nowhere near enough for BR
  • Reply 68 of 218
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fusion View Post

If it weren't for DRM and greedy license models, you could walk into a store with your 8GB thumb drive and load up on any rental movie you want in any "industry approved" format available. Well I spose you might need 32GB if your going the exact format of blu ray. Think about it:

I can think of no better way to spend an afternoon than at a movie kiosk waiting two hours for my 40GB movie to finish copying to a USB thumbdrive, only to get home and discover that the file is corrupt or incompatible with my device.
  • Reply 69 of 218
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

what's not to like?

They don't play all my old DVD's along with the current Blu-ray disc like my Blu-ray player does.
  • Reply 70 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I've never seen a Blu-Ray movie. I'm sure they look great but how great and at what price? I really enjoy DVDs on my computer. My 23" DVI connected screen at 1900 X 1080 plays those discs great. How much sharper can a video be? If I knew someone with a Blu-Ray screen I'd ask them to show me the same movie in Blu-Ray and DVD. I'd go rent the same movie in DVD format if they didn't have it just so I could see the difference.

Be sure you're viewing these images at 100% on your 1920x1080 display to get the full effect: This is DVD, and this is Blu-Ray. If you saw the world the way DVD looks, the optometrist would give you corrective lenses. Regarding cost, the DVD will run you $19.99 and the Blu-Ray will run you...$19.99. You're flushing money down the toilet if you're still buying DVDs when you can get 6x the picture quality for usually the same price.
  • Reply 71 of 218
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Excuse me but you seem to be the idiot. You apparently know nothing about Apple or else you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. Apple is famous for NOT raising prices while at the same time improving the features and functions of the newest model (faster processors, more memory, speedier graphics, higher resolution screens) WITHOUT raising the price = providing even greater value!

Huh, last time I have checked Apple did rise its price on every new iteration of the Mac Mini, by no less than $100 each time. It started at $499 in 2005 and is now at $699. I wonder who seem to be an "idiot" now: insulting others while being wrong.
  • Reply 72 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Be sure you're viewing these images at 100% on your 1920x1080 display to get the full effect: This is DVD, and this is Blu-Ray. If you saw the world the way DVD looks, the optometrist would give you corrective lenses. Regarding cost, the DVD will run you $19.99 and the Blu-Ray will run you...$19.99. You're flushing money down the toilet if you're still buying DVDs when you can get 6x the picture quality for usually the same price.

very good point.
  • Reply 73 of 218
    Quote:

Regarding cost, the DVD will run you $19.99 and the Blu-Ray will run you...$19.99. You're flushing money down the toilet if you're still buying DVDs when you can get 6x the picture quality for usually the same price.

Not a flame - a sincere question. Where are you finding Blu-Ray for the same cost? Everywhere I look (Best Buy, Cost Co), the store is charging $5 to $6 more for the Blu-Ray.

I'd gladly buy the Blu-Ray version if it was the same price. Blu-ray is definitely better quality than the HD my cable company provides. Avatar looked great, too bad the movie itself was crap.
  • Reply 74 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Not a flame - a sincere question. Where are you finding Blu-Ray for the same cost? Everywhere I look (Best Buy, Cost Co), the store is charging $5 to $6 more for the Blu-Ray.

I'd gladly buy the Blu-Ray version if it was the same price. Blu-ray is definitely better quality than the HD my cable company provides. Avatar looked great, too bad the movie itself was crap.

Amazon dot com, in this case. The blu-ray's aren't always cheaper, mind you, but so long as the DVD isn't a bare-bones single disc they're either the same price or within a couple bucks of eachother.
  • Reply 75 of 218
    How does Apple make their optical drives?

Minimalist slot drives.

How have you seen already existing Blu-Ray drives?

Complicated trays with doors.

Maybe it's not so far-fetched that they would have to redesign or get the licensing to comply with their trademark disc drive style. A combination of design and licensing problems?
  • Reply 76 of 218
    legiolegio Posts: 1member
    I have bought almost 200 BD films since early 2007. I see them on a projector on a 107'' screen or sometimes on my pc 30'' 2560x1600 monitor.

The picture quality is awesome and the sound is even better.

I would never go back to dvd quality except sometimes for movie rentals when I find no alternative. I rent out of convenience but I find the quality to give a lacking experience. And 720p with lacking audio isn't good enough for me, I'll take it as an alternative any day but not as my main movie experience.

Last week my old PS3 broke down. If I could I would have replaced it with the new macmini (running xbmc on OSX), however its 13 year old technology and I was forced to buy a new PS3 instead.

Another thing is that I would like to author my home videos from my HD cam into own BD discs with Apple I can't enjoy them on my computer.

I really like my apple MBP but I do feel Steve and Apple setting iTunes profit over my need as a consumer and that makes me sad, I dont want my mac saga to discontinue.
  • Reply 77 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphoniac View Post

How does Apple make their optical drives?

Minimalist slot drives.

How have you seen already existing Blu-Ray drives?

Complicated trays with doors.

Maybe it's not so far-fetched that they would have to redesign or get the licensing to comply with their trademark disc drive style. A combination of design and licensing problems?

If it were a technical issue, Steve or Apple would have said so. Instead, he's suggesting that blu-ray is like an audio format that never took off (blu-ray has the same adoption rate as DVD did), and that we don't need it anyway because we can all watch free HD movies from Hulu whoever we'd like. Steve is living in a fantasy world.
  • Reply 78 of 218
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Thank you soooo much for posting that. I could always tell the difference between a 480p movie trailer and the 720p movie trailer downloads on my 13" macbook. Now that I have a 1440p capable 27" iMac I'd love Blu-Ray to up their resolution but make no mistake I can certainly tell the difference between crappy dvd quality and the beauty that is bluray, on any size screen. I can stream all my video content to my iphone and even on my 3GS iPhone I could tell the difference between an avi 480p quality video file and an MKV 720p file. The difference in clarity is just way to obvious. I don't understand people who are so geeked about downloading/streaming. It is a horrible experience for the most part. I once decided to try out the HD content on my PS3 and it took forever to download, and then I only had 24hrs to watch it. I would have rather gotten in the car and driven to the video store. The biggest problem with streaming, at least here in the USA is bandwidth as many have pointed out already. I was just watching Iron Eagle on netflix, and while the quality was pretty crappy to begin with, it gets to the last 15 minutes of the movie and rebuffered to an even crappier quality. things were so pixelated you couldn't see peoples faces. I hate being subjugated to the capabilities of my internet connection. then there is the issue with availability. As another mentioned, try finding six movies available in HD that have ever been in a movie theater. As for the cost of BluRay, I can already walk into a Best Buy and find popular titles for 9.99 and all of them were major films released in actual movie theaters. This far into DVD's existence they were still selling for a lot more than that. I actually work at a Best Buy and the BD's have been getting so cheap that I get a better deal buying the ones on sale than using my employee discount. Maybe when we have affordable internet speeds in the 200MB/s range, and content is available in the quality of BR and at the same time as BR content, then maybe I might see some purpose in streaming/downloading, but till then there is no substitute for BR and Apple should support it. IF sub $800 Dell's/Sony's can support it then certainly Apple should be able to find a way.
  • Reply 79 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Can someone nail SJ down on a date for download dominance? That might help us along our journey. Can he provide links from universal, warner, disney, sony, lions gate, et al with confirmation? Can he also provide assurance that they'll come together on a DRM-free distribution model and pricing structure?

Serously, he's talking about a wish. No one has the timeline for building the network infra or the consumer adoption. If it did exist today, who here wouldn't be bitching about the insane price or the network provider chosen by the exalted one?

Exactly. At this juncture it's a pipedream. The day when I can come home on a Tuesday and stream any of that week's new releases in true HD for a low monthly rate is a long, long ways off. Physical media is the only space where movies are avaible on release day, with perfect picture and sound, and will remain available indefinitely. The digital space is a mess of HD-lite movies for blu-ray prices, movies available only in SD, movies available only to rent, movies available only for 90 days, and movies not available at all. And thats only if you have the bandwidth, which most of the population does not.
  • Reply 80 of 218
    scalpelscalpel Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well you can enjoy waiting a minute for the disc to load, I mean, for the disc to make sure you haven't "modified" your BD player, or update the firmware on your player to pointlessly patch the keys on it or be able to play the latest BS Java protection, or be forced to watch all the promos.

The rest of us will open up a file and be on our way

I like that and in fact, I have ripped my dvd's for personal use and encoded them with Handbrake: double-click and I'm away.

I was referring to the legitimacy of the Pirate Bay. With more and more people exploring this avenue of obtaining their entertainment, the people who believe in actually paying for it will have to pay more. That sucks.

And taking things to extremes, if *all* people start downloading movies from the Pirate Bay and other leech sites, there will be no reason for movie makers to invest their money in making said movies.