Consumer Reports changes stance, cannot recommend Apple's iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 381 of 406
    sapgurusapguru Posts: 7member
    Hi

we live in Switzerland, altough the iPhone 4 is not officially available here, we drove quickly over to France and bought a couple of iPhone 4. We came back and tested them really hard... espescially we tested this reception issue and we have no issues here.

We use Swisscom in Switzerland, that's the largest Operator and there are no dropped calls, no signal loss, nothing ! We use to touch it around the antenna, we even touched it with our tongue ! nothing... it works, no issues here...

We think you have a problem with the operator, in Switzerland there is absolutely no signal issues and dropped calls, nothing!

Greeting

G
  • Reply 382 of 406
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Consumer Reports revealed on Monday that it cannot recommend the iPhone 4, even though the handset scored higher than its competitors in categories not related to reception. The just-released smartphone ratings concluded that the iPhone 4 has the "sharpest display and best video camera" seen on any mobile phone, along with improved battery life and new features like a forward-facing camera.

"But Apple needs to come up with a permanent -- and free -- fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4," they wrote."

And I suppose that Apple will wait one year, until next June, before they fix the iPhone antenna for the next model because "Apple cannot be wrong".

Given the price of an iPhone 4, ~ $700, and its production cost below $200, one would believe that Apple would recall the iPhone 4 to offer free replacements with a new model variant which would include a second antenna like the upcoming Droid Phone. But "Apple cannot be wrong".

• Reply 383 of 406
    sapgurusapguru Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

And I suppose that Apple will wait one year, until next June, before they fix the iPhone antenna for the next model because "Apple cannot be wrong".

Given the price of an iPhone 4, ~ $700, and its production cost below $200, one would believe that Apple would recall the iPhone 4 to offer free replacements with a new model variant which would include a second antenna like the upcoming Droid Phone. But "Apple cannot be wrong".

you're right, Apple isn't wrong ! did you read my post just before yours ? Again, in Europe no problem! And believe me we've got the same iPhones 4 as you have.. We tested them on 2 operators now (Swisscom AND Orange), no issues here ! This is BS ! You're problem must be the operator. Friends in France and UK say the same thing, no problem in Europe.. so why the hell should Apple redesign the iPhone like a crapy Android phone ? I believe that the operators infrastructure in the US is absolutely not state of the art anymore..

It works, Apple is right believe me.. we're very happy here with iPhone 4, believe me if there where an issue that would be all over the news here in Europe!
  • Reply 384 of 406
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapguru View Post

you're right, Apple isn't wrong ! did you read my post just before yours ? Again, in Europe no problem! And believe me we've got the same iPhones 4 as you have.. We tested them on 2 operators now (Swisscom AND Orange), no issues here ! This is BS ! You're problem must be the operator. Friends in France and UK say the same thing, no problem in Europe.. so why the hell should Apple redesign the iPhone like a crapy Android phone ? I believe that the operators infrastructure in the US is absolutely not state of the art anymore..

It works, Apple is right believe me.. we're very happy here with iPhone 4, believe me if there where an issue that would be all over the news here in Europe!

See that's what I have been wondering. In the UK and other parts of Europe, none of this crazy antenna hype... What is going on? So confusing.
  • Reply 385 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

See that's the thing, I was at an Apple store and could not reproduce it with any of the phones there.

In that case, I have a faulty phone?
  • Reply 386 of 406
    Quote:

My iPhone 4 is on the Orange network here in the UK, I can quite readily dissolve the signal to nothing and searching simply by shorting the antennas with my finger. So this isn't BS as you kindly put it, go get somebody with sweaty digits or lick your finger and try again.

BS indeed!
  • Reply 387 of 406
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Haven't read all the posts-- just a few of the first and a few of the last.

Forgive me if this has already been posted:

Consumer Reports: "By the Way, the iPhone 4 is Also the Best Smartphone on the Market"

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...on-the-market/

Fits with what many of us have been saying. It is a great device. the best iPhone yet and among the best smartphone available. But, it has a serious issue. Is it a deal breaker issue? Not to me, but I fully understand CR suggesting it is a reason they cannot recommend it.
  • Reply 388 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Maybe because now iPhone users on AT&T will almost never have full signal indicator. I'm guessing sooner or later competition will use that to make some extra fun out of AT&T.

Sure, but again, it is as suggested by AT&T themselves. If they suggest it, they either know the ramifications or they are in self imposed ignorance. In either case, any problems caused for AT&T by using AT&T's own algorithm is completely self imposed by AT&T.
  • Reply 389 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Used as directed there is nothing wrong with iPhone 4.

1) Can you link to the directions in the user manual that state how to hold your phone?

2) Do you not see even a minor issue with a phone that needs to provide instructions on how to hold it?

3) Most people tend to use the phones in various positions and in various circumstances. Other than making sure the speaker is close to an ear and the mic is close to the mouth, people tend to consciously and unconsciously change their grasp during a call.

If your toilet for some reason required you to sit with your left leg held in the air, your right leg gently braced on the floor and both hands grasping the bowl in order to function correctly, would you say "Used as directed there is nothing wrong" with your toilet?
  • Reply 390 of 406
    Quote:

That's one of the problems with this discussion. No one is saying the need to make it an Android. That is just a stupid comment. People are saying, Apple needs to acknowledge and correct the problem.
  • Reply 391 of 406
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess you haven't followed how the phenomenon seems to require being in a low-moderate signal area. Five bars unheld could mean you're in a strong signal area. If the bars only drop to 3 or 4 when the antenna gap is bridged for 20-30 seconds, then you're almost certainly in a strong signal area.

You're right.. I haven't followed the procedure involving a multitude of negative environmental situations in order to make the antenna fail.

I bet if I flood the streets with water and oil I can make a 4WD fail miserably.

Again...my iPhone 4G owning friends have zero problems with their devices. I've also used their phones to replicate the YouTube videos. No luck in making calls drop.

Although I guess I could use a house key and cover both antennas to make the antenna fail just like the videos. Because we always cover the antennas with our house keys when making a call.
  • Reply 392 of 406
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

People expect advert perfection and when they hold a gorgeous phone that doesn't do everything they dreamed it would . People scream murder.

Exactly. It does everything perfectly, except make bacon and eggs in the morning. And people scream murder instead of just buying a Bumper.
  • Reply 393 of 406
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At the end of the day, this is the fundamental point of this whole debacle I cannot yet accept. Maybe if I see the phone in person and am so amazed, then, I could accept it.

It's halfway through 2010, how can there be a "proper way to hold a mobile phone"??? I mean, unless you're talking about holding it upside down and then complaining "oh, the other party can't hear me".

This whole "you're holding it wrong" concept is preposterous.

That's not a personal attack on you, I'm just saying, phone + hand = use of mobile phone. How could this have gone wrong in the design of the iPhone4?

You know, it's getting quite tiresome that you've posted dozens and dozens of times complaining about how terrible Apple is because of the iPhone - yet you don't own one and have never even seen one in person (see above).

That appears to be 1/2 of the problem. People who don't have any clue what they're talking abuot are cluttering the discussion with their whining. How about sticking to something you can speak knowledgeably about?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Right off the bat, it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about. The production cost of the iPhone is not below $200. Someone estimated that the components cost under $200. Even if that estimate is correct (and there's no way of knowing unless you have access to Apple's purchasing docs), that leaves out all the production costs, R&D, overheads, marketing, support, warranty costs, etc.

It's also not even relevant. If I could make a product that only cost me $5 to manufacture, but people are willing to pay me $500 for it, why is my manufacturing cost any of your business? I set a price and you choose to buy it or not to buy it. It's that simple.
  • Reply 394 of 406
    For me the bumper completely fixed the reception issue. I definitely would never stand up for apple and dislike just about everything apple does (itunes, no flash, steve jobs is god etc.) But the iphone death grip is really blown out of proportion. Yes it's a design flaw, how many design flaw has windows or mac os had over the years? Whats the answer? DONT USE THEM. Use something that works better for you. People are acting like apple came to their house and put a gun to their head and said you have to buy this phone and keep it forever. Just use a case or take it back. The phone sucks with out a case anyway, its edges are really uncomfortable for any period of time.

It's a design flaw. But it's a small one that can be solved. Theres sites giving away free rubber cases to fix the issue. Just use a case and enjoy the phone because all though apple sucks at just about everything (IMHO), they've made a fantastic mobile device that actually gets really good reception once theres a case around it.

Just my .02 I'd rather complain about the phone not having flash on it (the complete internet as apple markets it) because theres no simple fix for that other then these jailbreak solutions that are starting to pop up.
  • Reply 395 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You know, it's getting quite tiresome that you've posted dozens and dozens of times complaining about how terrible Apple is because of the iPhone - yet you don't own one and have never even seen one in person (see above).

That appears to be 1/2 of the problem. People who don't have any clue what they're talking abuot are cluttering the discussion with their whining. How about sticking to something you can speak knowledgeably about?

Firstly, the dozens and dozens of time are new posts in response to this, *ongoing* debate. Again, it is sad that some of us that have been Apple advocates in many ways, and previously very much accused of being fanbois, now stand accused of being trolls.

I have made responses related to the topics being discussed, I haven't blatantly started new threads, nor gone on way-off rants.

Do we need to own every model of every Apple product to comment, give opinions, and so on? I don't think so. The research, news, opinions, findings, are all out there for us to discuss, regardless of how much Apple stock or how many iPhones we own.

Name in my posts how I don't have any clue about what I'm talking about? Because I don't have a degree in radio antenna engineering? If I did have an iPhone4 that worked, then you might say I'm not knowledgeable about iPhone4s that don't work, and vice versa.

Some of us are here to comment on and discuss Apple's processes, procedures and the general goings-on of things. Just because some of us are "whining" about things we feel are unsatisfactory, doesn't make our views any less worthy than those that say everything's fine. This is a news site forum, not a iPhone Support forum.
  • Reply 396 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

That's part of the problem - tech has crossed the chasm regarding smart phones and most of the people talking about them have no clue.

People expect advert perfection and when they hold a gorgeous phone that doesn't do everything they dreamed it would . People scream murder.

I'm just intrigued at the possibility of whether it can or cannot perform some basic functions, eg. making a phone call. I'm just wondering what the situation is. Can it or can it not perform as a phone, we know about the rest, and it's great, and all that.
  • Reply 397 of 406
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I'm just intrigued at the possibility of whether it can or cannot perform some basic functions, eg. making a phone call. I'm just wondering what the situation is. Can it or can it not perform as a phone, we know about the rest, and it's great, and all that.

Intrigued about what? Sure there are folks that are getting dropped calls but there are also plenty of folks that don't. Are you saying that those of us not having these day to day problems making calls on the iPhone 4 are lying or outliers? Or are only the negative reports "intriguing"?

You're just "wondering"? Really? I call BS on your protestations of innocent questioning. It's just a phone...a nice phone but that's all. Nothing all that intriguing about it to natter on about it incessantly.

I would understand if you OWNED an iPhone 4 and was pissed it was dropping calls all the time but that isn't the case.
  • Reply 398 of 406
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Intrigued about what? Sure there are folks that are getting dropped calls but there are also plenty of folks that don't. Are you saying that those of us not having these day to day problems making calls on the iPhone 4 are lying or outliers? Or are only the negative reports "intriguing"?

You're just "wondering"? Really? I call BS on your protestations of innocent questioning. It's just a phone...a nice phone but that's all. Nothing all that intriguing about it to natter on about it incessantly.

I would understand if you OWNED an iPhone 4 and was pissed it was dropping calls all the time but that isn't the case.

Ah well, AppleInsider used to be a fun place to post and discuss. Maybe I'll stop nattering on about it incessantly, perhaps when AppleInsider stops posting articles about it?

Actually, scratch that, I'm done with the negativity I'm getting. Yeah, it's just a phone. This is not worth even arguing about.

But if you all think there won't be comments continuing to criticize or at worst just try and dissect the issue, good luck with that.
  • Reply 399 of 406
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It's halfway through 2010, how can there be a "proper way to hold a mobile phone"??? I mean, unless you're talking about holding it upside down and then complaining "oh, the other party can't hear me".

This whole "you're holding it wrong" concept is preposterous.

Preposterous or not, this has been an issue with every cellphone. Documentation and stickers saying where you shouldn?t hold it have been around long before the iPhone so why only focus on this ONLY with the iPhone 4? The only concern is an excessive drop in dB from a touch, not a hold.

This whole issue has been thrown out of proportion and those with a balanced and real issue have been mostly ignored as the trolls have destroyed any legitimate argument they may have. Honestly, anyone who is waiting for iPhone 5 before buying is simply ignoring this as the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the best smartphone on the market.

Note that the iPhone 5 will sell even more units and it?s likely any little issue will seem even more pronounced next year.

Quote:

Of course it can. CR gives it a better rating for call voice quality than any other phone tested.

When it gets to you, why not give it a try. Have you ever spent this much time on any phone before buying it? The whole thing is absurd: if you have a problem you can?t live with return it, if it works for you keep it. No CE will ever be issue free for everyone. Apple is not perfect, Foxxconn workers are not perfect, and all iPhones are not perfect.
  • Reply 400 of 406
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

See that's what I have been wondering. In the UK and other parts of Europe, none of this crazy antenna hype... What is going on? So confusing.

That's because an average European only talk 150 minutes a month (300 minutes when counting receiving calls) vs. Americans talking about 800-900 minutes a month.

When you spend 3x more voice minutes a month --- you are going to notice drop calls a lot more.