Rumors of smaller Apple iPad models with OLED screens persist

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Despite the high cost of OLED displays and Apple's continued support of LCD screens with IPS technology, rumors of a next-generation iPad with an OLED screen continue to resurface.

Taiwanese trade publication DigiTimes reported on Tuesday that its sources within overseas component makers indicated that Apple plans to launch a second-generation iPad as soon as the fourth quarter of 2010. The new hardware would reportedly use 5.6-inch and 7-inch OLED displays, with Compal Electronics in the running to supply Apple.

The new models would be in addition to Apple's successful 9.7-inch iPad, which would receive "some minor changes," the report said. The smaller 5.6-inch and 7-inch iPad models would "mainly target the e-book reader market, separating them from the 9.7-inch model, which mainly targets multimedia entertainment," the report said.

It noted that costs of OLED panels are expected to drop, as Samsung Electronics and LG Display have been devoting resources into the development of panels. "With Apple's brand image and high average selling price (ASP, Apple should have no problem adopting OLED panels, which have higher price than standard panels, into its devices," the report said.

DigiTimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo responded to the rumors and noted that Samsung cannot currently meet capacity for OLED displays on its own handsets, making it unlikely they would be able to supply Apple by the fourth quarter of 2010. In addition, Compal is "unlikely" to pursue orders with Apple, because its manufacturing gross margins are much less than what is offered by others.

Rumors of an OLED display on the iPad were around long before Apple even formally announced the device. They have continued to resurface since, with DigiTimes also reporting in April that Apple could adopt OLED displays for its second-generation iPad. At the time, the Taiwanese publication also reported the rumors, but simultaneously cast doubt on them through the analysis of Kuo.

The current iPad LCD screen uses IPS, or in-plane switching, technology. It was developed by Hitachi in 1996, and offers improved viewing angles and color reproductions on screens.

Last November, DigiTimes incorrectly said that Apple would offer an OLED version of the iPad at a cost of at least $2,000 at retail, due to the high cost of such displays. A 9.7-inch OLED display currently costs about $500, or the same price as an entire 16GB Wi-Fi iPad.

In April, an analysis of the parts included in the iPad found the current model's LCD screen with IPS technology to be the most expensive component, at an estimated $95. In all, the $499 iPad was said to cost $260 in components.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    that sounds like it would be a waste of time to produce (IMO, we already have the iPod touch guys!). If anything i could see a larger version of the iPad, not smaller.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    No way. But a fun rumor, though.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    I hope it is a phony rumor -- the current IPS LCD screen is bad enough in natural light. The last thing we want is a screen that will downright disappear in sunlight. Apple needs to be going in the opposite direction towards less glare and better performance in natural light.

No OLED ever, please!!!
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Based on Apples App store model, another screen size doesnt make sense unless it has a weird resolution.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

No OLED ever, please!!!

That's forward thinking of you.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The current high prices likely have more to do with the recovery of R&D expenses and trying to capitalize on consumer interest. There is nothing about an OLED screen that makes them inherently expensive, in the long run they should be cheaper. In any event if you are a big enough customer even the pricing of upper end IPS tech can become competitive. In this regards Apple could get more reasonable pricing.

In any event I'm hoping for such an iPad/Touch device when the new iApods come out in September / October. That is if Apple doesn't go anal about the design. One thing it needs to have is a wide screen ratio that is HD or wider. E-Book reading is of course one use for the device but movie playback is another. Doing all the mainstream apps is important too.

If you think Apple is having a hard time with iPad production I could see demand for such a device out stripping even iPads sales. Give the unit FaceTime capabilities and a USB port and shipments would skyrocket. In this regards a FaceTime capable "pad" of this size would make for an excellent replacement for a phone in many homes. It would be manageable hand held yet capable of sitting in a dock on a desk or wall. Such a device would provide a better face time experience while being portable enough for a home or office.

We are still talking a couple of months before Apple debuts anything. However i suspect that many will be surprised at the overhaul coming to the iPod family. It is time for a major refresh to spark continued interest in the line. Plus it is about time for Apple to expand the iPhone lineup. What ever may actually happen I just expect to see surprised people.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 61
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I call BS on this.

HTC is having OLED supply issues for a few models of their phones.

Production capacity is just not there.

Anyways, I do not see Apple coming out with smaller models anyways.

Apple seems to be on the backlit LED IPS bandwagon and thats fine with me. I love both my iPhone 4 and iPad screens.

I just need a new iMac now.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that sounds like it would be a waste of time to produce (IMO, we already have the iPod touch guys!). If anything i could see a larger version of the iPad, not smaller.

The thing is this, we are talking about a device in the range of paperback book size with the same general portability. It is this portability that will make such a device a hot seller. The idea being to be as easy to grab and pack as a paperback book. The current IPad doesn't cut it here. Niether does the Touch which is to small to be usable for extended reading sessions.

I have nothing against a bigger more capable iPad either, it is just that in this regards a smaller device serves an entirely different market. Actually several markets especially if the device comes with built in GPS. Imagine such a sized device running navigation software in a car or on the trail.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 61
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member
    this does seem pointless, but if they do make it i hope it is i an odd ratio so i can watch all my 11:9 and 12:5 videos.

also this would be very pointless, a slightly larger itouch.... with what price range? all i can see is $400...

as for the disappearing screen, maybe apple should OFFER CHOICES (wow Apple choices!) that are:

A- not in $100 increments... 8gb flash drive to 16GB does not cost $100... 16 to 31 might depending on who they buy it from..

B- offer 3 kinds of screen IPS, OLED, and something with no glare (or an anti-glare coating)

just would seem to make more sense...
  • Reply 10 of 61
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    It's called an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

I hope it is a phony rumor -- the current IPS LCD screen is bad enough in natural light. The last thing we want is a screen that will downright disappear in sunlight.

This is absolutely true, outdoor readability is very important. However that has nothing to do with OLED screens other than they could be brighter. That is not an inherent problem though. Look back in time to the original LCD & LEDS, not a pretty sight to say the least, current OLED devices are farther along right now relative to the first LCDs.

Quote:

Apple needs to be going in the opposite direction towards less glare and better performance in natural light.

I agree! However in getting there one should not rule out OLEDs or other tech for that matter.

Quote:

No OLED ever, please!!!

Let's just say you need tone more open minded here. OLEDs could be the avenue to the type of device you want. All Apple would need is a generation of devices that are bright enough. It isn't impossible and frankly is only one possibility for future devices.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 61
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    But then rumours of alien abduction, imminent Verizon iPhones and other imaginary events persist too.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Not really because when it comes right down to it Touch is mostly an MP3 player with a screen to small to accel at the uses that many of us have in mind. It is about remaining portable while providing for a far more readable screen. Portable in the sense of a paperback novel.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 61
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    I love it. Another product to add to the "rumored" Apple development.

I am adding this one to the list of things we will likely not see from Apple any time soon, if ever.

As for a quick upgrade to the iPad. I could see that. I think it would be something very minor though. Like adding elements to the iPad which have apparent spots built-in already. Things like a camera for FaceTime and the gyroscope. Both of which have been shown to have very likely been considered for the initial iPad release.

But an OLED iPad Mini? I don't think so.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    I'd be awfully surprised to see an update to the iPad in Q4 2010 when it's almost guaranteed to do incredible Christmas numbers without an update. I think the earliest Apple will possibly update the iPad is January 2011 and the latest is March 2011. The only possible exception is if they decide to push out an update in November with iOS 4.1 - I think they'd be wasting a lot of potential Christmas sales of the current model, but I know I'd sure be happy to see iOS 4.1 and a FaceTime model in the fall instead of having to wait for next year.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    There is no way that Apple will go down in size on the iPad. Maybe up to the 12 or greater inch range. They need to aim at the laptop replacement business and I don't think smaller is going to get you there.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I don't get how you people who always comment that the iPod Touch is a smaller version of the iPad actually believe that. Sure the functionality is similar but the size difference is gigantic. The screen layout is different too. An iPod Touch just can't operate as comfortably as a seven inch iPad would. The experience would be totally different.

I don't care if the newer model has an OLED screen. The IPS screen on the iPad looks good as is. A Retina Display would be better. I just want a USB connection and a card reader. If no USB then at least a card reader. I think that would make such a device much more user friendly when it comes to storing different types of data. Some card reader slots accept several types of cards. That would be better than just having an SD card reader. My HP computer has slots that can read multiple types of cards.

My preference would be for a seven inch model with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Garbage rum or for sure.

My dream iPad would incorporate on the screen some eink type display AND a superimposed LCD of some sorts, and one could switch at will, that really would be a dream.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The thing is this, we are talking about a device in the range of paperback book size with the same general portability. It is this portability that will make such a device a hot seller. The idea being to be as easy to grab and pack as a paperback book. The current IPad doesn't cut it here. Niether does the Touch which is to small to be usable for extended reading sessions.

I have nothing against a bigger more capable iPad either, it is just that in this regards a smaller device serves an entirely different market. Actually several markets especially if the device comes with built in GPS. Imagine such a sized device running navigation software in a car or on the trail.

Dave, I think those are two good points that could be addressed in a smaller form factor, but those are only two applications that make sence. However, i would argue that 1) the iBooks app does allow you to change the font size, and 2) the GPS feature you mention works on the iPod Touch as well, most displays on Garmin or Tom Tom's are roughly the same size as the iPod Touch screen.

If we've learned anything from Apple's strategies, it's to serve a much much larger range of applicaitons with thier devices. Apple's history of form factor is that they only do a few sizes depending on application. Sure the iPod has 4 form factor (excluding the iPHone) but they all serve a purpose. I would argue that the only real reason why the Nano is so successful is because of price. I'm quite satisfied with my classic because it can carry my entire collection; which brings the arguement back to applicability.

There has to be other compelling reasons to make a smaller form factor. Portabilty will still be an issue with a 5" or 7" screen. Not small enough for your pocket regardless.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

this does seem pointless, but if they do make it i hope it is i an odd ratio so i can watch all my 11:9 and 12:5 videos.

also this would be very pointless, a slightly larger itouch.... with what price range? all i can see is $400...

as for the disappearing screen, maybe apple should OFFER CHOICES (wow Apple choices!) that are:

A- not in $100 increments... 8gb flash drive to 16GB does not cost $100... 16 to 31 might depending on who they buy it from..

B- offer 3 kinds of screen IPS, OLED, and something with no glare (or an anti-glare coating)

just would seem to make more sense...

Re: B - ARE YOU HIGH or something? Did you fall down and hit your head? There is NO WAY Apple would come up with 3 different models with different screens. Do you know how expensive that would be? WOW...that joke made my day.....