Growing attention on iPhone 4 signal issues presents risk for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Mass hysteria without a shadow of doubt. Fuelled by Apples competitors and the headline hungry press.

My advice: If you are having reception issues.. stop holding it like a jerk.

"look ma, the toaster burns mah fingies when I put mah hand in it"

This story is about the stock market risks from market perceptions. Not about about 'jerks' who don't know how to hold the iPhone or (your paranoid delusions about) "....Apples [sic] competitors and the headline hungry press."
  • Reply 22 of 192
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So I guess all the independent tests are all 100% wrong. Prove your case that it's a non-issue for every single i4 user.

What's there to prove besides that my phone works everywhere I take it with me and makes calls from places that my 3Gs would start to stutter? People who complain are either dorks trapped in their parents basements or don't have an iphone at all.
  • Reply 23 of 192
    I am really sick of hearing this. A case does not fix the issue. I bought the supposedly top of the line phone with the expectation that it would work without changing its appearance. A case is not a fix!
  • Reply 24 of 192
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

I don't know of anyone who so far has been complaining about loss of signal because they don't clutch the phone with their entire hand. However, you have to wonder why Apple would create the "BUMPER" for the phone. As far as I can remember this is the first time they have created a case or semi-case for the iPhone or iPod Touch. It sorta looks like they thought it could be an issue and this was the quick fix.

Yes, that now sounds plausible.
  • Reply 25 of 192
    I've reproduced the issue but it was hard to do. I had grip the phone very hard and hold it in an unnatural way. I'm a lefty and the only dropped calls I've had have been due to user error. I will say this, it's a much better phone than my 3G was and the 3G was very good. I'm not using it with any case but I have one on order. My 3G was in a case.

With the above in mind, Apple really needs to publicly address the issue. If Bumpers fix the bridging issue, then give people bumpers who ask. And drop the price down to $5.99 - 7.99 like they should be!
  • Reply 26 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Huh? This is AppleInsider. What is this Mac you're talking about???

• Reply 27 of 192
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Some of you would make good disciples of Al Gore.

Every methane fart kills a polar bear. DONT DO IT!
  • Reply 28 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This story is about the stock market risks from market perceptions. Not about about 'jerks' who don't know how to hold the iPhone or (your paranoid delusions about) "....Apples [sic] competitors and the headline hungry press."

"paranoid delusions" hahaha what you dont think apples competitors are loving this? Wake up.
  • Reply 29 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Mass hysteria over a non-issue.

Like it or not, the markets are entirely about "mass hysteria."
  • Reply 30 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amature geek View Post

I am really sick of hearing this. A case does not fix the issue. I bought the supposedly top of the line phone with the expectation that it would work without changing its appearance. A case is not a fix!

Then get out of your mom's basement and use the phone.
  • Reply 31 of 192
    I am really having a difficult time understanding why people don't just return the phones they think are defective. Isn't everyone still under the thirty day return period? Would you not do this for any other defective product? I have also heard that Apple is waiving the restocking fee for returned iPhones.

Why don't the people who are dissatisfied just return the phone?

Full disclosure: I do not own an iPhone of any make or model.
  • Reply 32 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Like it or not, the markets are entirely about "mass hysteria."

That's why there is no point of paying attention to it.
  • Reply 33 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So (just as one example) Virgin mobile who currently do not sell the iPhone, are exaggerating the 'problem' in the call centres to persuade people to buy competing phones. Fuelling the hysteria. Same goes for any call center of any competing network anywhere in the world no doubt.

You gotta be pretty damn stupid to not take advantage of this if you are a competitor...

It is common every day business practise. NOT paranoia! lol
  • Reply 34 of 192
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

What's there to prove besides that my phone works everywhere I take it with me and makes calls from places that my 3Gs would start to stutter? People who complain are either dorks trapped in their parents basements or don't have an iphone at all.

Neither of those scenarios apply to me, but I can still reproduce the problem in different areas of Houston. Your ignorance in believing that the problem doesn't exist for anyone is sad. The problem is real.

The dropped call issue and voice quality issue due to the choke the chicken grip doesn't affect me either. But I also am not ignorant enough to believe that this doesn't affect other people.
  • Reply 35 of 192
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Here here.

Funny how everyone I know with an iPhone 4 has ZERO issues/problems with it. Must be magic air in Japan here.

funny how the 40 or so people i know ALL have reception issues. We can ALL replicate the death grip - i can do it standing four feet in front of my microcell and drop to no signal in about two minutes.
  • Reply 36 of 192
    Yes, Steve said they would always build "trucks" also but longest wait for a refresh ever!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

iPhone, iPad, iPhone, iOS, iPhone?

That's about all I've been seeing for the past several months.

Isn't an update to the Mac Pro due soon?

• Reply 37 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Neither of those scenarios apply to me, but I can still reproduce the problem in different areas of Houston. Your ignorance in believing that the problem doesn't exist for anyone is sad. The problem is real.

BS!!! I WAS in Houston last week! Using the phone for several days in different areas. A dropped bar is a problem??? The calls go through and the reception quality is amazing!
  • Reply 38 of 192
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A continued focus on antenna issues associated with the iPhone 4, following this week's update from Consumer Reports, could create a risk for Apple, one prominent Wall Street analyst believes.

It may also create an avalanche of interest.

Look, the CR report was almost devoid of factual content. And it was far from an exhaustive test of the pros and cons of the antenna design. In addition, the fact that they saw fit to mock Apple with the "duct-tape" bit suggests they weren't really interested in imperical and exhaustive testing, only in getting "hits" to their website.
  • Reply 39 of 192
    dmheimdmheim Posts: 3member
    anyone else think Apple already knew about this long before they released the phone? because I don't remember Apple ever releasing a custom case on launch day
  • Reply 40 of 192
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    If Apple doesn't issue a convincing fix I think they'll be forced to recall. Oddly, my iP4 doesn't suffer "Death Grip" because I'm lefty. I hold the phone in my right hand and generally talk on speakerphone.

Buttttttt... the other night I held phone to ear and the Proximity sensor failed! Found out it's subject of longest thread on Apple's iP4 forum. A simple Reset fixes proximity sensor issue. I'm not sure fixing the reception issue will be as simple. \