Growing attention on iPhone 4 signal issues presents risk for Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 192
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

To me, the worst part of this whole story is this:

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong."

If that's worst part to you, then you really shouldn't have any complaints.
  • Reply 122 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

have you seen the bumpers, they look pants,,.. !

Come on Apple sort this out

I'm picturing Karl Pilkington right now.

Where does "look pants" come from?
  • Reply 123 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.

If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

No need to shout. Just call your friends on the phone and tell them. If you can keep a signal long enough.
  • Reply 124 of 192
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm not sure what part you are doubting. Erosion of confidence is a serious matter for a consumer products company. Despite what you or I may think of CR's testing, no question this is turning into a PR fiasco for Apple. No matter what the fix turns out to be, Apple needs to get on the ball, and they need to do it now, not next month, not next week -- right now. They are already way behind the curve.

Shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.
  • Reply 125 of 192
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

I agree and i wish people would stop promoting the idea of Apple giving away free bumpers as a solution, have you seen the bumpers, they look pants,,.. !

Come on Apple sort this out

They're waiting until 30 days after release day to come out with their "fix" so the early adopters won't be able to return their phones when the fix doesn't solve the problem.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I do love my iPhone 4 though.
  • Reply 126 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

No need to shout. Just call your friends on the phone and tell them. If you can keep a signal long enough.

Check out this thread for more of his insight:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=966572&page=3
  • Reply 127 of 192
    Received iphone 4 last Friday. Immediately obvious that hand contact on the forbidden line drained all bars. Figured this is a "bad one". Then started to use the phone in my home office. 3gs was impossible to use, resulting in regular complaints to ATT with good responses, but no improvement in service. The i4 works perfectly--no difficulty making a call; no calls dropped. Only problem now is that the poor quality of the other party's phone is a distraction.
  • Reply 128 of 192
    I like my iPhone better with the bumper (in black) in place. It feels better in my hand and looks cooler as well. I wish the powers that be would just bite the bullet and give the bumpers out for free to squash the reception issue. Apple is kickin' ass so well in the marketplace that it could only be good PR longterm.

• Reply 129 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sigh. I don't know what a response like this is supposed to mean, even as humor. This is the first time in many years that Apple has been faced with a major PR issue. So far, as both an Apple fan and stockholder, I have to say I am unimpressed by they way they are handling it. A combination of silence and denial just is not going to cut it. Shades of Toyota.
  • Reply 130 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sigh. I don't know what a response like this is supposed to mean, even as humor. This is the first time in many years that Apple has been faced with a major PR issue. So far, as both an Apple fan and stockholder, I have to say I am unimpressed by they way they are handling it. A combination of silence and denial just is not going to cut it. Shades of Toyota.

Is a little funny. It's a quote from Michael Dell from way back. I was actually working at Dell then and at home had my faithful Quadra 605 w/13" display/8Mg/160Gb
  • Reply 131 of 192
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Is a little funny. It's a quote from Michael Dell from way back. ...

Yeah, we all know what it is, but it's not really funny, even in the current context. The only thing funny about that quote is comparing the companies' respective fortunes since then.
  • Reply 132 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Is a little funny. It's a quote from Michael Dell from way back. I was actually working at Dell then and at home had my faithful Quadra 605 w/13" display/8Mg/160Gb

Is anyone unfamiliar with this quote? Sorry, I don't mean to be overly harsh, but the often flippant dismissals of Apple's poor handling of this issue are becoming annoying. A lot of us would like to think that Apple is no longer the same company that Michael Dell thought was ready for dissolving.
  • Reply 133 of 192
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Maybe you and I don't go the same areas. I live in Houston and can reproduce it every now and then, depending on conditions at that precise location I am at. At my apt, I can reproduce it to go down to no bars. The funny part is when I can do the same exact thing 10 minutes later in the same spot and the signal goes up 1 bar.

The problem is real.

Then what's the problem?
  • Reply 134 of 192
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

and your point? What difference does it make to have owned and experienced a problem that obviously many people are having.

Because it's not "obviously many people are having". Apparently, 99% of those reports are based on Internet parroting and rumor spreading.
  • Reply 135 of 192
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So I guess all the independent tests are all 100% wrong. Prove your case that it's a non-issue for all i4 users. There may be some that it doesn't affect. However that is because they live in a place that has strong signal. We all know the bars are bunch of crap, especially how Apple calculates it. If you live in a stong area, your signal may drop from -63 to -91, which is still in the 5 bar threshold. However if you are at -88 and then drop to -110, you are down to 1 bar. For a lot of people, that's enough to drop the call or get worse voice quality. This is a real issue for a significant number of owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant.

Just because it doesn't affect a person individually doesn't mean it isn't real.

So ALL the anecdotal evidence from people like me or others here that have NO PROBLEMS at all is BS? Why is it that this "problem" is so easily "reproduced" in the labratory yet for folks like me in Los Angeles, I don't have this issue at all.

If in fact it is an issue with SOME phones or SOME AREAS OF ATT Service area which I CLEARLY think it is, it will be fixed...

The insane, distrustful thing about CON-SUMER REPORTS is that first they said it was a non-issue, then they said they can't recommend it, only to later "release a report saying the iphone is the top smartphone on the market". WTF!!!

• Reply 136 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Mass hysteria without a shadow of doubt. Fuelled by Apples competitors and the headline hungry press.

My advice: If you are having reception issues.. stop holding it like a jerk.

"look ma, the toaster burns mah fingies when I put mah hand in it"

Really? "Like a jerk"?
  • Reply 137 of 192
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

So ALL the anecdotal evidence from people like me or others here that have NO PROBLEMS at all is BS? Why is it that this "problem" is so easily "reproduced" in the labratory yet for folks like me in Los Angeles, I don't have this issue at all.

If in fact it is an issue with SOME phones or SOME AREAS OF ATT Service area which I CLEARLY think it is, it will be fixed...

The insane, distrustful thing about CON-SUMER REPORTS is that first they said it was a non-issue, then they said they can't recommend it, only to later "release a report saying the iphone is the top smartphone on the market". WTF!!!

That is really interesting. Did you recently get your phone, or is this one of the early ones?

I ask because I was able to cause serious attenuation in the store with just a fingertip, but here you have photographic evidence that you aren't seeing it even when cupping the phone. How long did you hold it that way before you took the picture?

This sort of thing makes me wonder what really is going on here - I wonder if it really does affect only some phones, or id it may actually have to do with differences in electrical conductivity of skin, etc. Very odd.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Reply 138 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Really? "Like a jerk"?

Yea - What company out there stands behind it's product BETTER than Apple? HP? Dell-Hell? I just SOLD LAST YEARS IPHONE FOR MORE THAN I PAID FOR IT -- ONE YEAR AGO.

Apple is a good company with great customer service. In fact always rated highest.

People like you want to make believe they suck, they are the worst for not doing "something" about a product that, now that it's out in the wild, may or may not be performing perfectly.

Apple will make those cry baby's whole again today or tomorrow. I am certain they will respond in due time to the fact that first CON-SUMER Reports said this attenna issue was a NON ONE, then, next they said they can't recommend it, then they said right after the iphone 4 is the best smartphone on the market.

I mean, what the hell is that about?

I could care less that CON-SUMER Reports claims to be not for profit. But, let's ALL FACE IT, they signed up a SHITLOAD of new subs yesterday and today. The planet had forgot who the hell they were till they found GOLD in bashing the iphone. When's the last time you even heard the media quoting CON-SUMER Reports about anything? before yesterday that is.
  • Reply 139 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

That is really interesting. Did you recently get your phone, or is this one of the early ones?

I ask because I was able to cause serious attenuation in the store with just a fingertip, but here you have photographic evidence that you aren't seeing it even when cupping the phone. How long did you hold it that way before you took the picture?

This sort of thing makes me wonder what really is going on here - I wonder if it really does affect only some phones, or id it may actually have to do with differences in electrical conductivity of skin, etc. Very odd.

Thanks for sharing!

I pressed and pressed and pressed again HARD to try as HARD as I could to get it to drop the bars, a call, etc. I couldn't do it. Me and a roommate both bought our phones on DAY ONE at The Apple Store in Los Angeles' Grove Shopping Mall. Both of our phones and about 10 other friends who were there with us DON'T HAVE THE ISSUE, at least not here in our area. Man, ATT is more behind this mess than anything, who else? There are still parts of Los Angeles, like here in Hollywood that HAVE NO ATT SERVICE AT ALL, hard to believe but in fact true...

AND... I want to hear from someone that JAILBROKE their iphone 4 and it's STILL doing this signal drop ON ANOTHER NETWORK... Did CON-SUMER Reports try ANOTHER NETWORK? Get real people. ATT Sucks and when things with Apple go south it's almost always related to At&t
  • Reply 140 of 192
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    So we have...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Don't buy it if you don't like it, or take it back for a full refund if you bought it and found out you don't like it.

Otherwise STFU!

Quote:

Can't SOMEONE do a decent, objective job of testing and tell us what the facts are? Because CR sure as hell didn't!

Quote:

What, do you work for Microsoft or something? What total BS!

And then we have...

Quote:

I suggest you take a couple of deep breaths and calm down.

Must be the pot calling the kettle black.