iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to iOS4!! You're phone will be slow as molasses. A deliberate ploy on Apple's part to force you to buy new hardware. Once you upgrade there is no going back.

First, there IS going back. I did it myself last night to test an issue I was having with my battery. Google 'how I removed ios4' - its actually quite easy to do it; I removed iOS4 and later upgraded it again.

Second, performance is slower, but is not that bad - I've used iOS4 on my 3G and although it really is slower than 3.x was, I still prefer iOS4.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    Quote:

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to iOS4!! You're phone will be slow as molasses. A deliberate ploy on Apple's part to force you to buy new hardware. Once you upgrade there is no going back.

I'd agree with that, except that after doing a hard reset (hold Power and Home for a few seconds PAST when you get the slider to power down the phone) has sped mine back up again, at least to my perception. Still getting the odd app crash when something misbehaves to the new rules, but I'm not trading the advancements in Mail and Folders away for nothin'.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think giving away free bumpers is the wrong thing to do. Case manufacturers will be up in arms, and it's really not fair to them. If anything, Apple should give a $29.99 credit to purchase any case at any Apple store.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    Quote:

A simple reboot of the GS after installing iOS 4 fixes the problem. My daughter has a 3G that ran slow after the install. Reboot, and it has been running fine for weeks.

• Reply 25 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple should just admit its mistake, give away free bumpers, and be done with it.

Unfortunately, Steve Jobs is an arrogant despicable man who would never want to admit he was wrong.

How would you describe yourself? Based on your posts here....

• Reply 26 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple could test their phones in the field using tear gas instead of a case. They?d maintain secrecy, and still have real-world conditions.

LOL!

Best post yet!

• Reply 27 of 106
    I wish people would learn how to correctly express themselves using the English language. The entire article rests on the comments from Munster, and Munster's key comment is:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Munster

... "While the issue has gained significant traction in the press, the reality is we estimate this problem periodically affects 25% of iPhone 4 users given the fix is easy (a case for the iPhone), and 75% of customer choose to use a case anyway.".

... which is basically just nonsensical verbal barf.

WTF does "... we estimate this problem periodically affects 25% of iPhone users given the fix is easy," even mean? It ain't a sentence that's for sure. It certainly isn't anything resembling communication. You could put in a hypothetically missing "and" between "users" and "given," but then the last part makes no sense either.

bah!
  • Reply 28 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Those bumper cases cost .40 cents to manufacture. Even charging $9.99 would be a rip off. Just give them away to the people that ask for them and everyone is happy.

Care to show us the materials and manufacturing invoices to back up your claim?
  • Reply 29 of 106
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

How could this happen? The analyst said it's likely a result of the secrecy used by Apple when testing its products in the wild.

"We believe Apple field tests every iPhone model. However, recall that the lost iPhone 4 prototype was disguised as an older model iPhone with a case," he wrote. "Given its proclivity to secrecy, it is possible that Apple required all test units to have a case, which would render the issue undetectable. In other words, Apple may never have known the problem existed on test units in the field because they all had cases on them."

i am sick of these psuedo-benchwarming pundits trying their best to analyze a situation they are completely out of the loop of and desperately trying to theorize how such "mistakes" could have been made. Calming the investors? really. Frankly let the stock price slide down a bit, I will buy more.

Are you serious, no one in the wild even took the case off at least one? Believe what ever you want consistently wrong investment groups, you still think AAPL will reach $351. Which duh, you do not need an investment group full of douchebags to come up with that realization. what a bunch of maroons...
  • Reply 30 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

Please please everyone stop talking about the bumper being the holy grail as the solution, have you seen the bumpers,. they look pants,..

I've owned multiple cases for my other iPhones, and the bumper case is the best I've used.

To each his own, but that doesn't fuel FUD does it?
  • Reply 31 of 106
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A simple reboot of the GS after installing iOS 4 fixes the problem. My daughter has a 3G that ran slow after the install. Reboot, and it has been running fine for weeks.

there are many side by side tests out there and 3GS is much faster while 3G is a little slower after upgrading to iOS4. On some apps i've written the load time of the app takes 8-12 seconds longer after I upgraded a test 3G to iOS4.
  • Reply 32 of 106
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.

The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351

lol, well it's good thing most people do not base their actions on your guess.

My guess, you are a troll

What will the next issue be with you apple loving wolves in sheep's clothing? Steve Jobs is living too long? Burning Jobs effigies while google's streetview crews roll past.

There are real issues facing the world, and you are worried about SJ's attitude. I hope you have this same contempt for BP and their CEO's
  • Reply 33 of 106
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 antenna issue has reached a "boiling point," though investors in Apple should not overreact to the problem, a Wall Street analyst said Tuesday...Piper Jaffray remains unfazed by the hardware issues with the iPhone 4, and continues to expect that Apple will have strong June and September quarter results, largely putting the discussion behind it. The firm has maintained an overweight rating for AAPL stock with a price target of $351.

What a circus!

BTW, I never realized just how many trolls inhabited the forums here. Amazing!
  • Reply 34 of 106
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Apple should do nothing except release the software update to fix the issue.

The iPhone will continue to sell.

Don't worry about the stock price. Earnings report in 2 weeks will determine the price.

This crappy antenna campaign is being driven by Apple'scompetitors. They will lose.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... WTF does "... we estimate this problem periodically affects 25% of iPhone users given the fix is easy," even mean? It ain't a sentence that's for sure. It certainly isn't anything resembling communication. You could put in a hypothetically missing "and" between "users" and "given," but then the last part makes no sense either.

I think it means that, since 75% of iPhone users use a case, only 25%, those who don't use a case, will be affected. Analyst speak, from the Alan Greenspan school of communications.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I just want to remind all the "Chicken Littles", name callers, and "Apple should do this or that" posters...

It has been less than 20 days since the iPhone 4 became available to 1-day-early recipients on June 23 (me included).

Put yourself in the position of Steve Jobs, Apple, et al.

How would you react?

Is there a problem that exceeds "expected malfunctions" for a first manufacturing run for this class of device?

If, so, have you identified the problem?

If, so, have you developed a fix or work around?

Remember, you are in the position of Steve Jobs and have a responsibility to Apple customers, shareholders, employees, partners alike.

Also, remember that whatever you say may have legal, political and regulatory ramifications.

I suspect that you would be less receptive to advice and knee-jerk reactions if those making them were in your position.

How would you react?

Is

• Reply 37 of 106
    cgrisarcgrisar Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

lol, well it's good thing most people do not base their actions on your guess.

My guess, you are a troll

What will the next issue be with you apple loving wolves in sheep's clothing? Steve Jobs is living too long? Burning Jobs effigies while google's streetview crews roll past.

There are real issues facing the world, and you are worried about SJ's attitude. I hope you have this same contempt for BP and their CEO's

But of course I am a troll.

A troll with

an iPod Touch

4 iPods

1 iPhone 3G

1 iPhone 3GS

1 iMac

That's what shoudl scare Apple. That long time supporters (I had an Apple II, a Macintosh, a Mac II) are disappointed. Again, not in the product. Mistakes can happen. Telling the customer that he/she is the problem is not the way to address the mistake.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

i am sick of these psuedo-benchwarming pundits trying their best to analyze a situation they are completely out of the loop of and desperately trying to theorize how such "mistakes" could have been made. Calming the investors? really. Frankly let the stock price slide down a bit, I will buy more.

Are you serious, no one in the wild even took the case off at least one? Believe what ever you want consistently wrong investment groups, you still think AAPL will reach $351. Which duh, you do not need an investment group full of douchebags to come up with that realization. what a bunch of maroons...

Of course you know better.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.

The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351

Have you bought options betting that Apple stock will fall or is that just another FUDster shooting off his mouth?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I wish people would learn how to correctly express themselves using the English language. The entire article rests on the comments from Munster, and Munster's key comment is:

... which is basically just nonsensical verbal barf.

WTF does "... we estimate this problem periodically affects 25% of iPhone users given the fix is easy," even mean? It ain't a sentence that's for sure. It certainly isn't anything resembling communication. You could put in a hypothetically missing "and" between "users" and "given," but then the last part makes no sense either.

It's Munster. It would actually be news if it DID make sense.

Quote:

I just want to remind all the "Chicken Littles", name callers, and "Apple should do this or that" posters...

It has been less than 20 days since the iPhone 4 became available to 1-day-early recipients on June 23 (me included).

Put yourself in the position of Steve Jobs, Apple, et al.

How would you react?

Is there a problem that exceeds "expected malfunctions" for a first manufacturing run for this class of device?

If, so, have you identified the problem?

If, so, have you developed a fix or work around?

Remember, you are in the position of Steve Jobs and have a responsibility to Apple customers, shareholders, employees, partners alike.

Also, remember that whatever you say may have legal, political and regulatory ramifications.

That's exactly what all the whiners are missing. Apple has to first find the source of the problem. Sorting through all the anecdotal reports (as well as all the 'reports' from people who don't even own an iPhone) takes time.

Then, they have to find a solution. There's no magic wand, no matter how much idiot analysts wish there were.

THEN, they have to get FCC approval - which is likely to take weeks - at least.

Then they can start to implement it.

All the people screaming that Apple has to do something NOW obviously have no clue what they're talking about. You can't fix a problem until you've identified it and cleared the solution through appropriate authorities.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

"We believe Apple field tests every iPhone model. However, recall that the lost iPhone 4 prototype was disguised as an older model iPhone with a case," he wrote. "Given its proclivity to secrecy, it is possible that Apple required all test units to have a case, which would render the issue undetectable. In other words, Apple may never have known the problem existed on test units in the field because they all had cases on them."

Exactly what I said when the problem first appeared.

Quote:

How would you describe yourself? Based on your posts here....

Wasn't he the guy who, when AAPL was at 130, said it was going to go to 80...and then it went to 160?