Radio engineer: Consumer Reports iPhone 4 testing flawed

1356710

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    Why do people even think CR is the end all be all? People just want to be told what to do by some authority. And "journalism". Most if it is desperate sensationalism to grab eye balls. Most are the info equivalent of a car salesman. It's mostly now tabloid. I'm not referring to AI right now. I'm referring to the media in general that loves to regurgitate and misrepresent facts because they have to spew something. I use my phone all the time and ignore the stupid bars but because of the lazy media I have total strangers grinning asking how the phone is with all it's problems. I just say no problems and they look confused.



    Right - but to be fair the industry (journalism) just doesn't have the resources to hire people who really know what they are talking about in engineering. Science is even worse, just look at all the crap about the LHC destroying the universe etc being reported like any scientist actually thinks that. controversy sells, and the next thing you know the largest network in the usa is denying evolution.
  • Reply 42 of 193
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ... I [returned] my iPad because of a Safari SW bug. ...



    I still say that's a "feature", or in IBM-speak, working as designed.
  • Reply 43 of 193
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    It's not that he isn't smart... This piece just happens to disagree with his stance. Had Bob corroborated CR's story, he'd be singing a different tune. Easy.



    Bob called out CR's lack of scientific testing. That's it. The CR test either certifies its testing labs or it becomes irrelevant and nothing but a relic most of us have been waiting for it to become for decades.



    Yet, the idiot commenting on the irrelevancy of Egan's credentials did need to be called out on it.
  • Reply 44 of 193
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post




    I've tested the hell out of my iPhone 4 and it's still the best phone I've ever used.



    Gotta agree here... Hands down the best. I'm not saying the issue doesn't exist - it just doesn't exist on mine or my wife's.
  • Reply 45 of 193
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    Cellular device manufacturers and providers certainly have a STANDARD methodology and detailed protocols for testing equipment.



    No one has yet performed a rigorous test following those industry standards.



    Now, I realize that these protocols may be corporate secrets, but couldn't someone at least do some original reporting and try to settle this in a less anecdotal way.



    Consumer Reports is respected (and I am a subscriber) - but the duct tape "suggestion" seems to deliberately mocking in tone. It does call in to question their entire test, because of the deliberately sensationalist tone of their "suggestion."



    A less mocking suggestion would have been to put it in an aftermarket case.
  • Reply 46 of 193
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    Yet, the idiot commenting on the irrelevancy of Egan's credentials did need to be called out on it.



    Credentials only matter when the story agrees with their stance - you know that.







    speaking of, can you guess who Appleinsider1 is?
  • Reply 47 of 193
    selomselom Posts: 3member
    I'm amazed that that some people took the CR "testing" seriously. I saw their video clip I didn't think it was funner or professional to suggest a duct tape. I have never consulted CR before buying anything in my life and I'm 56 years old. By the way, I think any test that compares the iPhone 4 with any other smartphone is basically flawed because only the iPhone has the antenna on the outside! That is ingenious! And it is not like the gap is invisible. If covering the gap with a cellophane tape will do the trick, why not just cover it up? I have covered mine. I love my iPhone and none of my friends and family members have any of the troubles some people are screaming about. Amazing!!
  • Reply 48 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post


    Consumer Reports is respected (and I am a subscriber) - but the duct tape "suggestion" seems to deliberately mocking in tone. It does call in to question their entire test, because of the deliberately sensationalist tone of their "suggestion."



    That's a whole load of crap. The point here's is to proof the issue can be fixed by covering the spot with something. Thus showing that Apple can think of something at the hardware level to do the same. And I don't mean a Bumper. Using Duct Tape to show no issue occurs shows it's a problem which needs addressing.
  • Reply 49 of 193
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    An engineer experienced with electromagnetic issues like those now affecting Apple's iPhone 4 says that the tests performed by Consumer Reports were scientifically flawed.








    Surprised?



    And will CR retract their story when the software update comes out?
  • Reply 50 of 193
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Selom View Post


    I'm amazed that that some people took the CR "testing" seriously. I saw their video clip I didn't think it was funner or professional to suggest a duct tape. I have never consulted CR before buying anything in my life and I'm 56 years old. By the way, I think any test that compares the iPhone 4 with any other smartphone is basically flawed because only the iPhone has the antenna on the outside! That is ingenious! And it is not like the gap is invisible. If covering the gap with a cellophane tape will do the trick, why not just cover it up? I have covered mine. I love my iPhone and none of my friends and family members have any of the troubles some people are screaming about. Amazing!!



    Shareholder... admit it!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 193
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm sure you mean: biased. Or is that why you lolled?



    Yes, I was be sarcastic. There's nothing Daniel wouldn't do to try and minimalize this issue. Even if CR's tests weren't 100% scientifically accurate they had their own phones at home drop out on them repeatedly and these tests no doubt fairly accurately represent why. Dilger just want's to cloud the issue.
  • Reply 52 of 193
    rrrobrrrob Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


    So how does this scientist suggest testing the effect of a person holding a phone if the person is required to stay outside the anechoic chamber?



    That's actually a very good question. You use a phantom, i.e., a dummy with the same dielectric properties as human flesh that can be precisely and repeatedly repositioned within the test chamber.



    However, the FCC is primarily interested in SAR measurements. The IEEE 1528 standard in current use only specifies the dimensions of a head phantom and properties of the fluid used to fill it, and specifically does not require the use of hand phantom in order to obtain the most conservative (i.e., worst-case) measurements for head exposure. The standard also makes no mention of the surface conductivity characteristics of the phantom, which is also of interest here.



    Starting out with sausages (as was half(?)-jokingly mentioned earlier) for phantom fingers is actually not that bad of an idea, though using pig skin instead of intestines to wrap the sausage would probably be more accurate.
  • Reply 53 of 193
    Apple should provide free non-metallic pedestals and anechoic chambers to all iPhone 4 owners.
  • Reply 54 of 193
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    Surprised?



    And will CR retract their story when the software update comes out?



    No... all will be forgotten. And the focus will then shift to megapixels or the screen size.
  • Reply 55 of 193
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    It's actually disgraceful reporting on the part of AI. They are throwing their own reputation under the bus to protect Apple's.



    The same could easily be said for CR. They presented the findings on their blog like they conducted a scientific test. It is clear to most people with even a little bit of knowledge that their testing was in no way scientific.
  • Reply 56 of 193
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RRRob View Post


    That's actually a very good question. You use a phantom, i.e., a dummy with the same dielectric properties as human flesh ...



    There are a few of those around here.
  • Reply 57 of 193
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Egan notes that it is not known "what part of this problem is Apple?s and what part is related to the AT&T network. And we don?t know how the observed effect is, or is not, similar to other devices.



    Why does he think / suggest that this is only connected to the AT&T Network,..over in the Uk I am on the O2 network and have the same issues,.... Time for a re- think Mr Egan one thinks
  • Reply 58 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ireland


    It's actually disgraceful reporting on the part of AI. They are throwing their own reputation under the bus to protect Apple's.



    For some reason you and others think this site has something to do with journalism. I like AI, but I would never consider it a balanced/unbiased source for news about Apple (look at the name for pete's sake). It's a blog with guest blogger articles and a forum. Get your news somewhere else.
  • Reply 59 of 193
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post


    Surprised?



    And will CR retract their story when the software update comes out?



    No... Because it won't actually 'fix' the (proven) issue.
  • Reply 60 of 193
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I've tested the hell out of my iPhone 4 and it's still the best phone I've ever used.



    I agree completely. My iPhone 4 has outperformed any hopes I had when I bought it. I'm not saying it's perfect. Sure, there are things I'd love to see changed/altered/etc... but then again, nothing is perfect, especially since what's perfect for me might not be perfect for you... but I'm thrilled with my iPhone 4. It is, by far, the best phone I've ever owned or even used. I love it.
Sign In or Register to comment.