Microsoft recruits iPad owners for study on its Redmond campus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

A pencil for a chalk board ... yep that looks about right for MS R&D. LOL

Hey, don't forget -- a lot of people were absolutely convinced that the iPad was going to be called the iSlate.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

A pencil for a chalk board ... yep that looks about right for MS R&D. LOL

Sorry forgot to mention that's optional.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    sounds like they want to push the "Courier" full speed ahead and add all the features that fanboys/girls are griping about in the current iPad.

If i were to take the study, I would suggest that whatever they produce, or propose to produce, they better make it feel as good as the ipad. It really does feel good to hold and the quality of the materials is top notch. That would be number two on the list of top features to emulate about the iPad. The number one would be User Interface. It has to be as easy to use as the iPad. Without those two, you don't even have a comparison, it will be doomed to fail, like the Zune.

I think the only other issue MS has if they are going to go ahead with the Courier is the marketplace. They need to tap into an existing MS environment. Like the XBox market for apps. Something people know and trust. That would be really smart and start to tap into the MS universe, rather than having consumers required to buy into some unknown marketplace they don't trust and have to learn all over. Could you image doing streaming live gaming from you courier or Faux-Pad to a friend's Xbox playing "insert-game-title-here"? Or, watch a netflix movie on the go in an airport waiting for a delayed flight? The current Xbox marketplace is the perfect way to launch a Faux-Pad. Google has already done it with Android too.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Where are the right and left control knobs?

Those are optional too.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Hey, don't forget -- a lot of people were absolutely convinced that the iPad was going to be called the iSlate.

That is very true. I forgot about that.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Microsoft is still pushing its full-fledged desktop operating system on touchscreen devices.

And this is precisely why they will fail.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    So Microsoft is going to run Windows 7 on a tablet like the iPAD. Given the CPU power, memory and energy consumption of Windows 7, the tablet they are looking at is going to be re-packaged laptops and a crappy touch interface and a 3-4 hour battery life. They really don't understand what Apple has created. On top of that, for the cost of a single program for Windows 7 you can get dozens of paid apps for the iPad and about 100,000 apps and games for free. Microsoft is grasping at thin air and broken straws at this point.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Ms has wizened up, instead of copying what they see fit, they are asking users what to copy.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The "gratuity" item was probably lame and no one wanted it.

"Do you own an iPad? We want to interview you so we can copy what Apple does because we can't figure out how to do anything on our own"
  • Reply 30 of 56
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Ballmer, you're an idiot.

What will power a slate device running Windows?

The Sun?

You just don't get it, do you?
  • Reply 31 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belmakor View Post

Seems Microsoft completely misses the point of the iPad and why it is so popular.

Hence the survey.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    A Facebook promo at a MSFT-campus location for a survey regarding a competitors hot product?

I'm guessing somebody made an amateurish mistake over there. I would expect MSFT would farm out this work to a professional market research firm. They would have conducted the study on a national and international basis (diverse geo- and demographics), masked MSFT's involvement, while getting "feedback" releases in place.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    My first thought for the "gratuity item" was one of Ballmer's sweaty keynote shirts!
  • Reply 34 of 56
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    DNFtT!!!
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those who would be selected for the study were offered a "Microsoft gratuity item."

Any guesses where the remaining Kin phones will be going....?
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The original posting, from the Microsoft User Research group, noted that the Windows maker wanted to talk to iPad owners for two hours, to find out how they use the device.

"I turn it on, and it just works. Any further questions?"

Seriously, if MS doesn't have enough in-house talent to "get" Apple's products, it's time to shut the company down.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Ballmer is a POS!

How could he stoop so low as to ask ipad owners about their experience. And what, he'll extrapolate that info and make the ultimate slate pc? Whatever!!!!

That fool just failed +20 with the Kin.

Hey Ballmer, you are an out of touch old man!!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 56
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    A Microsoft gratuity item, eh? I smell t-shirt.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    interesting. I just got an e-mail yesterday from Microsoft on my college e-mail account about an one-hour phone survey, and one of the pre-screening question was "do you own an iPad?". Hmm, sounds like the same stuff here... except I got a personal invitation.

Still don't know how they got my name but interesting anyways.

There's offer for gratuity items such as Microsoft Hardware/Software...
  • Reply 40 of 56
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

There seems to be a verb missing in there somewhere.

It's still not correct. If uccoord is attempting to describe "item" an adjective would be appropriate, not another noun like "gratuity". "Gratuitous item" would have been grammatically correct, but would imply something worthless (A Zune, perhaps? How about a Kin?).

Perhaps it started out as "free gift", but the author's manager, or manager's manager, correctly pointed out the redundancy of that phrase. Somehow "preparing to stand by" slipped through the cracks though.

(What's up with "uccoord"? Can you come up with a more cryptic name? Sounds like MSFT is still fixated on an eight character name limitation.)