1440x900 option for 13" MBP? (anti-glare especially)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Apple finally has display resolution options for at least one model -- the 15" MBP -- I'm hoping they'll extend that idea to the 13" MBP too.

Consider these screen size/pixel density numbers:

15.4" @ 1440x900 -> 110.3 ppi

15.4" @ 1680x1050 -> 128.6 ppi

13.3" @ 1280x 800 -> 113.4 ppi

13.3" @ 1440x900 -> 127.7 ppi

I've seen the 15.4" 1680x1050 model and it's a got nice display, not that squint-inducing for me because of the smaller pixels (and the smaller everything else that currently goes with that -- iOS seems further along with enforcing resolution independence than OS X).

A 13.3" display at 1440x900 would have almost exactly the same pixel density. I've often been torn between the easier portability of a 13" model but wanting a bit more screen real estate that 1280x800. I currently have a 15" MBP, but my next upgrade would easily be a 13" instead if I could get a 1440x900 anti-glare display -- an upgrade I'd be inclined to make as soon as such a model was available.

Would fear of eating into the sales of 15" MBPs stop Apple from providing such an option?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'd like to see that. I'm sure Apple wouldn't be too worried about cannibalization. What do they care? They're both sales for AAPL

But don't count on the anti-glare. Apple has determined that's a "pro" feature.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Now that Apple finally has display options for at least one model -- the 15" MBP -- I'm hoping they'll extend that idea to the 13" MBP too.

The 15" is the second one to get the option, the 17" had the option a long time ago
  • Reply 3 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BillyLavoie View Post

The 15" is the second one to get the option, the 17" had the option a long time ago

I'm talking about display resolution options much more than I am about the anti-glare option (although I'd want that too). As far as I recall. the 15" MBP is the first time Apple has let you choose between two different display resolutions for one model of laptop computer.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

But don't count on the anti-glare. Apple has determined that's a "pro" feature.

Even thought it's typically the least "pro" of the "pro" group, often lacking features that the 15" and 17" models have, I did say I was hoping for anti-glare (and much, much more importantly, 1440x900 resolution) on a 13" MBP - a 13" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I want a Retina Display on the 13" MBP!

But I'd settle for 1440x900. Its a good idea but I've who knows if Apple will ever do it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I believe Apple are amidst a transition to 130dpi across their MacOS product lines. I expect the next update to the 13.3" MacBook Pro to have a 1440x900 option.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I'm talking about display resolution options much more than I am about the anti-glare option (although I'd want that too). As far as I recall. the 15" MBP is the first time Apple has let you choose between two different display resolutions for one model of laptop computer.

Before Apple updated the default resolution for the 17" to 1920x1200 it used to be 1680x1050 and at one point you could pay extra to have to 1920x1200....now it's standard though
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I don't know that the odds of this happening are very high, but it would be very nice.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Many people have no problem reading the smaller text sizes and reduction of detail produced by higher resolution, I disagree with that term (should be screen density), many older people have trouble reading and easiy viewing things so small.

The resolution of the items on the screen are still 72 DPI you are only seeing more area, such as going from a normal to wide angle lens on a camera.

What we need is programs and screens that are independent of the 72 DPI requirement.

By this I mean that an inch on screen is an inch on paper no matter what the screen density is. that you could set the resolution the same way that you see the scale on a map.

This would mean that if the screen density is 125DPI the text or oblect would be rendered at 125 DPI not 72DPI giving better resolution and detail to the text or object.

This would give a better screen depection of what something would look like when output and would mean that what somwting would look like on diferent screen densitys would go away.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It would be nice if the rez on the 13.3" got bumped while also getting an anti-glare option. The only thing I see holding Apple back from doing either is their eventual switch to 16:9 displays over the current 16:10 displays.