iPhone 4 recall could cost Apple $1.5 billion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    They don't need to do a full recall. They need to fix the iPhone antenna design going forward (could be as simple as moving the line down a few mm) and give free bumper cases to existing users who have the issue. My perceptions of Apple have been affected by this, not so much by the issue itself but by how it was handled. Telling people to hold it different was arrogant and asinine. My iPhone will consistently drop down to no service (and it will not communicate at this point) so it is not just incorrect signal strength being displayed. I never had this happen with the 3G or 3GS. The way that "open letter" was worded reeked of bs too.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yes, now that Jerome York is gone, the last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nail. Meet head.

I say that as a shareholder (not just as a loyal consumer). I was hoping that Jobs's absence would be a great opportunity for Apple to discover a new way of being what it is without the attitude. Unfortunately, Jobs has come back more omnipotent, more irascible, more paranoid, and less appealing than ever.

No one else in the company seems to have the guts to say a damn thing. Not Cook, not Oppenheimer, not the Board.

I agree with above comments and has a shareholder as well, I am little annoyed by Apple's approach to this issue and if this hurts the stock because Steve does not know that "acting like Microsoft in late 80s early 90s" does not work, then he must know, pissing off shareholders is not good situation to be in,if this really affects the stock and overall dividends!
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glgbnaf View Post

Good apple deserves every bit of a loss finally!!!! I'm one of the 1.7 million who got scammed on a flawed device!!!! Heck with Steve jobs ya he is termally I'll maybe this will enhance more to pay him back haaaaaaaa what comes around goes round!!!!!!!!!

You suggest Apple acted without class but then post a comment like this? Shame on you.

You say you were scammed - how many scams do you know that offer you a 100% refund if you take your scammed item back to the store? If you feel that strongly about it why not return the phone then suddenly you've been 'unscammed'.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    So Be It!
  • Reply 25 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by centparkrun View Post

Well, is Apple going to recall the iPhone4 or not? According to this article, the decision has been made.

Read this article, it is hysterical. VERY FUNNY.

Apple Recalls iPhone 4?Very Fondly; Announces It Will Apply Same Rigorous Standards to Four New Product Launches

http://www.dailygoat.com/?p=1491

Actually, Apple has a different solution:

http://scoopertino.com/apple-introdu...d-your-iphone/

Quote:

Good apple deserves every bit of a loss finally!!!! I'm one of the 1.7 million who got scammed on a flawed device!!!! Heck with Steve jobs ya he is termally I'll maybe this will enhance more to pay him back haaaaaaaa what comes around goes round!!!!!!!!!

Then take the phone back for a refund and stop whining.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

I just can't understand your feeling of being scammed. If you bought an iPhone 4 and don't like it, there's a 30-day return policy. There are plenty of smartphones out there from which to choose. I can appreciate your being disappointed in the iPhone's performance and inconvenienced for having to return it for a refund but how have you been scammed. Apple isn't forcing you to keep their product.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    I don't think it was arrogant and asinine as much as not well thought out. When Jobs (or one of his minions behind the scenes) wrote that, no one - including Jobs - know how big of a deal this would turn out to be. I have found it interesting that Jobs has not been e-mailing at all as of late. That may be good for Apple, so that they can control their message better. It is still sad though, because those e-mails did make Apple seem much more "different" than other stuffy, disconnected companies (AT&T, I'm looking at you.) But with $40 billion in the bank, maybe having the CEO e-mail random people at 3 in the morning isn't such a good idea anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

They don't need to do a full recall. They need to fix the iPhone antenna design going forward (could be as simple as moving the line down a few mm) and give free bumper cases to existing users who have the issue. My perceptions of Apple have been affected by this, not so much by the issue itself but by how it was handled. Telling people to hold it different was arrogant and asinine. My iPhone will consistently drop down to no service (and it will not communicate at this point) so it is not just incorrect signal strength being displayed. I never had this happen with the 3G or 3GS. The way that "open letter" was worded reeked of bs too.

• Reply 28 of 110
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    I can't be sure because you write like a 2nd grader, but if you are making fun of Jobs because he is/was terminally ill, you have a sick sense of humor. I for one would be happy if you went away. I'll put $100 on the line that you don't actually own an iPhone 4 anyway.

Quote:

• Reply 29 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I just can't understand your feeling of being scammed. If you bought an iPhone 4 and don't like it, there's a 30-day return policy. There are plenty of smartphones out there from which to choose. I can appreciate your being disappointed in the iPhone's performance and inconvenienced for having to return it for a refund but how have you been scammed. Apple isn't forcing you to keep their product.

I wonder how many people have returned their iPhone 4? If it's more than 10, I would be surprised.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starburst View Post

I wonder how many people have returned their iPhone 4? If it's more than 10, I would be surprised.

I agree. It would be interesting to see that data. BTW...in the spirit of full disclosure I don't have an iPhone. As a diehard Verizon customer I am patiently waiting. But I can say that from what I've seen and from my friends who have iPhones there is nothing about this antenna flap to keep me from buying the iP4. Especially since we know a bumper case mitigates the reception anomaly.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I'll take a free Bumper, please.

GTSC

I'll wait for the redesigned version and stay with my 3Gs for now.

From what I have read, Apple seems a little tone deaf on this one. i did read the open letter on their website and have been following it in the WSJ and here of course.

Sorry Apple, I've always been an early adopter, 2 original iPhones, 3Gs, original intel iMac, original intel macbook, MobileMe for over 5 years, always the latest and greatest OS, iwork, ilife and so on.

I don't like it so far, 'holding it wrong, a bumper will fix it, etc.' Not good!
  • Reply 32 of 110
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Non-profit? Don't you have to pay for a subscription to their site just to see their reviews?

Non-profit does not mean the do everything for free.

It simply means what they charge, covers their costs, to include salaries, studies (in this case also reports and magazine production) and leases, utilities, etc.

The company does not pay out to shareholders or owners.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Seems like Cult Of Mac has been chatting to several "crisis management" experts whose positions on the antenna issue are unanimous in that an iP4 recall is necessary to salvage Apple's reputation.

Haven't linked to it as I'm sure the interested will find it by themselves, and hopefully I'll avoid the roasting that the righteously enraged of both camps are likely hurl in my direction for having the gall to quote from their 'article'.

Made up my mind to buy a 3Gs tomorrow and look at a re-engineered iP4 later (if it happens), or the iP5 next year if it doesn't. I can wait either way. And the price on the 3Gs is looking mighty tempting... (free).

I'll check out the death grip on the 3Gs and report back.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    My wife's iPhone 4 works just great for her.

Before she bought the Apple bumper I could do the death grip. No longer.

Who gives a crap about Apple and $1.5G USD?

This is pocket change to AAPL.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienvenom View Post

How are only 25% of the users affected? If it's a design flaw (and I'm not suggesting it is) wouldn't it be more like 100%?

My guess is that since the antenna attenuation issue is more frequently noticed in poorer network conditions, the other 75% aren't noticing because loosing a few bars won't kill the connection completely.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:

Congratulations. That was totally classless. You must be very proud.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starburst View Post

At some point that fact (if it is so) will make a good sound bite for Apple. But it doesn't matter at this point point because there is a feeding frenzy going on. Right now a backlash against Apple seems to be happening. Apple is just becoming too damn successful for many people's liking. In my opinion Apple should quickly revise the build to eliminate or minimize whatever fault there is but keep quiet about it. Without making a public statement they should hand out a free invisible 'stick on' fix tapes for affected customers (but perhaps not made by Apple as that could be construed as admitting fault). They should also up their advertising effort as they seem to be doing. In a while this issue will be history and Apple can use the sound bite re the number of returned phones when news hungry journalists raise the question while at the same time pointing out how sales went up during this period. For SJ to open up and admit to a faulty product is ridiculous and would be a bad move. Its not like its a Toyota that inexplicably looses its breaks while careening down the highway. Arial issue? Not ideal but minor nonetheless.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    I'm just curious about what cost there is to Apple if they don't fix it? I mean, the tarnished public image can do major financial damage. The best course is to investigate, and if it's real, fess up and fix it, IMO. If you deny it, and it's real, you could end up doing more harm. If it's truly not real, then investigate and make a public statement about proof that it's not real, and not because Steve says it ain't so.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Oh, please don't let it require a recall.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I agree. It would be interesting to see that data. BTW...in the spirit of full disclosure I don't have an iPhone. As a diehard Verizon customer I am patiently waiting. But I can say that from what I've seen and from my friends who have iPhones there is nothing about this antenna flap to keep me from buying the iP4. Especially since we know a bumper case mitigates the reception anomaly.

I'm waiting on Verizon before I upgrade to the iPhone 4. I held one in my hand for about 5 minutes and was amazed at the resolution of the display and the sheer beauty of the phone. From what I've read the iPhone 4 has better reception than the 3gs model that I own and better reception than most other phones. I own a few shares of apple stock, and I hope Steve Jobs stays the course he has set. I believe it will be a freezing day in Hades before he recalls the iPhone 4.