Apple Retail tells employees something big is on the way

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

I hope it is free mobileme email, at least for people who haven't renewed their subscription for whatever reason. As has already been mentioned here by a few people, many find it off putting to think that they will lose all their emails if they don't renew, so they simply hardly ever use the email service - which is a shame as I have never had a problem with that aspect of the service. The contact and cal sync on the other hand..... (!)

This doesn't make sense.

If what you are proposing is indeed true, it wouldn't be a bricks-and-mortar retail-only launch.

Bzzzt. Try again.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    I know what would be revolutionary, especially in the Regents Street Store in London - the ability to test a Mac's performance without waiting 45 minutes while some inconsiderate freeloading scumbag reads and writes their tedious inconsequential self-indulgent emails.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    isidoreisidore Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The article says that it is something specific to its brick-and-mortar stores.

It is definitely not a new piece of hardware, because Apple Store employees would be the last people you would want to tell. No offense.

My guess it is 1 of 3 things.

1) MobileMe lite - FREE Contact and Calendar syncing for everyone.

It would make sense to promote this to Apple Store employees.

2) Some type of upgrade to the current POS system that uses the iPod touch.

It would make sense to get Apple Store employees excited about using it.

3) Some other major store function becoming digitized and easier to do (planogram/scheduling)

A friend of mine who works for a major retail chain showed me how he can log in and check his store's schedule. If he needs to call out, the web app shows him who is available from his store and other nearby stores to cover for him.

This is the kind of thing RETAIL people get excited about.

Not Apple TVs.

I was in the AppleStore in London yesterday and there was some discussion of the ipod touch based POS system going live in the next few days. I think this fits the description of something related to the actual physical stores
  • Reply 84 of 115
    wingivwingiv Posts: 1member
    Got a couple of friends in the Apple HQ, and they've told me that they have been really busy recently. They only get this busy when there's a new product to be launched.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Apple Retail tells employees something big is on the way

->>>>>
    Quote:

iPhone 4 recall could cost Apple $1.5 billion

• Reply 86 of 115
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I said what I said because it's a "retail surprise" and it's being reported here and everywhere else that it has nothing to do with new products but only "retail." All the people I replied to didn't even bother to read the article (or at least not very closely), and just spouted off with their favourite theory of what new product they want Apple to produce.

EVEN IF the rumor is true, all you know is that it has something to do with retail. That doesn't mean that it's not a consumer product. For example, the iCar will only be sold at retail (Fedex refuses to deliver them).

Or maybe it's iApples - also sold only at retail for freshness reasons.

Or maybe the person who suggested an iHug is correct. Can't do that over the internet.

In any event, your attacks were misplaced. All of the speculation is merely a game. I don't think anyone is taking any of it seriously, so why are you attacking people over having a little fun?
  • Reply 87 of 115
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I've never been to an Apple store WITHOUT a cash register at the back.

What planet do you shop on?

he might live on the same planet as me. When I bought both MBPs recently it was a challenge getting someone and it was odd doing the purchase right there at the display tables. It -was- a Saturday afternoon though.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    wildcat1wildcat1 Posts: 10member
    it's going to be a gesture proximity sensor that plugs into the 30pin connector of the iPad so you don't have to touch the screen no more greasy screens!! Wishful thinking? Lol
  • Reply 89 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They're playing with - "It's big." It's physically big. And that can only be an Apple HDTV.

Although the article said it's for retail employees only, their wording suggests that's their best guess. An Apple Branded HDTV sounds as good a guess as any.

Products+ sounds like a confusing mess.
  • Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

That would totally suck all of the oxygen out of the latest Droid release day, which I think is Thursday.

Let the bumper madness begin!

What the?
  • Reply 91 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

There is no cash register at the Garden State Mall store. There used to be but they took them out and now use that area for personal training. To check out you have to get an employee with an iPad.

I thought you left?
  • Reply 92 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwiss View Post

Here here.

Hear hear is the expression. Everybody learns that eventually.
  • Reply 93 of 115
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's sad that you're so anal you had to correct him.
  • Reply 94 of 115
    It's the Friend Bar!!! I'm so excited!!
  • Reply 95 of 115
    A new hardware section, featuring duct tape?
  • Reply 96 of 115
    I have another theory...self checkout!

If you are just popping into the store to buy something under $100, you could checkout yourself using the Apple Store app.

Step 1) You use the camera to scan the barcode on the back of the products.

Step 2) You pay for your items using your itunes username and password.

Step 3) Your receipt is sent to your iphone and the iPod of the Apple employee standing by the door.

Step 4) The Apple employee at the door offers you a bag for your item(s) as you leave.

This would be great during the Christmas shopping season.

A lot of people don't go into the Apple store for small purchases because it is so crowded and can take a long time to get help.
  • Reply 97 of 115
    I have another theory...home checkout!

Step 1) You shop at home or on the go using the AppleStore.app

Step 3) An employee at the Apple Store puts all the stuff you purchased in a bag.

Step 4) You walk into your local Store and pick up your bag of goodies.
  • Reply 98 of 115
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I have another theory...home checkout!

Step 1) You shop at home or on the go using the AppleStore.app

Step 3) An employee at the Apple Store puts all the stuff you purchased in a bag.

Step 4) You walk into your local Store and pick up your bag of goodies.

Why not? Best Buy does it already. Shouldn't be hard to implement and might move people through the store faster.
  • Reply 99 of 115
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you can "hear" correctly but you still talk out of your ass.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    rahrensrahrens Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Daddy, I want a working proximity sensor!!!

If your iPhone has that problem, take it back, they'll replace it for you for free.