iPhone 4 recall could cost Apple $1.5 billion

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    palalunepalalune Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glgbnaf View Post

I'm one of the 1.7 million who got scammed on a flawed device!

No you're not. iPhone 4 hasn't even been released in your country.
  • Reply 82 of 110
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

A little side note: has any of these tests made it clear that their is only signal degradation then in 3G mode?

Most iPhone owners I know switch 3G off unless they need the web whilst out and about.

I tried this with my case off and regardless of how hard I grip the phone the bars don't move.

Sorry, 3G as opposed to what? Would this be able to be turned off in other countries like Japan?
  • Reply 83 of 110
    camp davidcamp david Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A recall of the iPhone 4 could cost Apple as much as $1.5 billion, according to one investment research firm.

Who cares what it cost Apple? If the phone is defective, and it seems to be, they should recall or replace it. Have we reached the stage where we deal with product defects with duct tape instead of forcing the company to stand behind its products?

Yea I love Apple and its technology and have been a long-time user of all Apple products. That doesn't mean I accept the premise that we should look the other way when defects are found and a recall/replacement is warranted.

Recall the iPhone and fix the problem already... yes the stock will take a hit, investors may not be pleased, and Apple's ego may be bruised. In the long run Apple's reputation is far more important than its iPhone or $1.5 billion... you can't buy reputation and if defects are found a company can and should stand behind its products....
  • Reply 84 of 110
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Three things:

1) Apple's got the cash for any option suggested here.

2) Did you notice? A bumper which retails for $29 might cost just $1 to make. Something is very wrong when we are asked to pay such a large markup these days. (I know, if Apple had to supply every iPhone 4 user, they may need to buy the bumpers in much larger quantities that the current company is buying them in, so the cast may be less...still...

3) Looks like the Apple haters are back. I remember in the '90s, so many Wall Street analysts would dis the company and would predict its demise with every report.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    That's disgusting.
  • Reply 86 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    They are not going to recall a product with nothing wrong with it.

Stupid people, my god.
  • Reply 87 of 110
    How will this be handled? Much like it has been handled in the past, they are going to quietly fix the issue in newly manufactured units and then come back and address those affected. This allows them to test the fix before voluntarily recalling the affected units. It is certain they are not ignoring this issue, they just work behind the curtain. This is their M.O. and that likely will not change.
  • Reply 88 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I have the phone. There is no design flaw. It does the exact same thing as my brother's Droid. YOu hold it a certain way and you can make it lose a bar or two or reception. MOst people do not hold it the way in question. Further, most people use a case and it isn't an issue at all.

My brother has the Droid Aris and it does the exact same thing when touched in a certain area. As does the Motorola Droid, which my mother has. It effects any phone that puts the antenna on the outside, which is necessary if you want thin phones.

This constant reporting of the supposed issue is what is making it an issue. That and ignorance. Further, in general consumer reports sucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienvenom View Post

How are only 25% of the users affected? If it's a design flaw (and I'm not suggesting it is) wouldn't it be more like 100%?

• Reply 89 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Who cares what it cost Apple? If the phone is defective, and it seems to be, they should recall or replace it. Have we reached the stage where we deal with product defects with duct tape instead of forcing the company to stand behind its products?

Yea I love Apple and its technology and have been a long-time user of all Apple products. That doesn't mean I accept the premise that we should look the other way when defects are found and a recall/replacement is warranted.

Recall the iPhone and fix the problem already... yes the stock will take a hit, investors may not be pleased, and Apple's ego may be bruised. In the long run Apple's reputation is far more important than its iPhone or $1.5 billion... you can't buy reputation and if defects are found a company can and should stand behind its products....

Duct tape won't fix the issue since it is somewhat conductive.

This is a manufacturing issue, not a design issue, because not every unit is affected. Before they can issue a recall, they have to determine the scope of those affected. They are working on it, just because you cannot see it, it doesn't mean it is not be addressed.
  • Reply 90 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I love how people like you who don't own the phone make comments on how it seems to be defective. If it is defective every phone on the market that puts it's antenna on the outside is defective. So, why are we picking on Apple?

I own the iPhone 4. It is the greatest phone ever. I live in a family that has two different type of Droid users to compare it to and I had a previous version iPhone. I can replicate the so called issue on any of those phones.

Apple is getting grief because it is easier to mark the spot of the iPhone 4. Yet, on all those phones, especially the Droids, you can find a similar spot. However, in normal usage I have never lost a call by hitting the so called spot. You have to ry to hit it. If I was one of the few people who held it odd, I would get a case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

• Reply 91 of 110
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    This sounds less like an analysts and more like Google fan boy or someone who wants to Short AAPL.
  • Reply 92 of 110
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

A free bumper with your iPhone4 and be done with it!!!

Of coarse, Apple haters will never let it go, but who gives a f__k what they think anyway!

On the other hand, if a software fix is actually possible, that would be even better.

A full recall is not going to happen because the iPhone4 works great with a damn bumper on.

yup, free bumper is the best option, plus i personally like how the bumper looks. it also protects the edges of the glass and such.

if iphone 4 customers don't like it, let them return it. but i wouldn't expect apple to have to offer a replacement when it's solved so simply and cheaply.
  • Reply 93 of 110
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    So after reading all of the reports, comments, and just plain idiocy re: the antenna issue... I thought I'd just state for the record, the following:

I was wondering after SJ announced the new design of the iPhone4, and specifically how he noted the antennae on the outside... how long it would be before some tech-nut or safety-org sued Apple for cheating and creating a health hazard, by using people's entire bodies as reception devices.

At the time I also thought, "how clever, because when ya touch a TV antenna, you almost always get better reception". I'm not a scientist, so what do I know... but for some reason I thought it could lead to problems. That phones are different and the signal would drop, never crossed my mind... and the response by the pundits and media are even farther off base for me to comprehend.

On that thought, maybe I'll open a whole new can of worms by saying, what IF the signals from the towers are being routed through peoples bodies, then to the iPhone ?

A large portion of the comments, remedies and demands can only be related to "Scrambled-n-Fried Brain Syndrome". Inquiring minds want to know: How'd they get that way?

Must be the iPhone4, since it is at the very root of all of the world's problems, isn't it? Isn't it? Caused that big oil catastrophe down in the gulf too... didn't ya just know it?!

PS: Recall or sue as a recourse... how pathetic! In that vein of thought, I should request my Braun toaster be recalled because it burned my toast this morning. Do I have to mention that it actually got stuck because the bread was cut to large at the bakery? F-it! I'll sue 'em both for good measure!
  • Reply 94 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Non-profit? Don't you have to pay for a subscription to their site just to see their reviews?

NO, non-profit means they don't accept advertising from anyone (that might give them bias), but they still have to pay their researchers/staff/etc. so they charge a subscription.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Examining the longer-term consequences for Apple, Sacconaghi turned to "the emerging pattern of hubris that the company has displayed, which has increasingly pitted competitors (and regulators) against the company, and risks alienating customers over time."

As some examples, the analyst noted Apple's "limited disclosure practices, its attack on Adobe's Flash, its investigation into its lost iPhone prototype (which culminated in a reporter's home being searched while he was away and computers being removed), its restrictions on app development, and its ostensibly dismissive characterizations of the iPhone's antenna issues (i.e., phone needs to be held a different way; a software issue that affects the number of bars displayed)."

Ok, let's not group everything together Mr. Sacconaghi.

Limited disclosure is a way to stop people from copying an unreleased product and hurting sales. Flash needed to be shaken.

Who wouldn't investigate a stolen prototype?

Thieves often get their homes searched as do drug dealers and pirates.

Restrictions on app development is somewhat valid, but at the same time apple has good points about software not working after OS update if made with wrong tools.

Dismissive characterizations is the only one that I find to be truly valid. A bit of a mess up as I see it.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

-- This is a hypothetical mail - something I think Apple can and should send out,

Have you been named CEO of the Century by Forbes? Have you built the biggest company in the United States, from the ground up?

Apple has somebody on staff already who has some experience with these things. I think they might take his advice instead.
  • Reply 97 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonb1946 View Post

NO, non-profit means they don't accept advertising from anyone (that might give them bias), but they still have to pay their researchers/staff/etc. so they charge a subscription.

Actually, that's not what non-profit means. Non-profit means simply that they're not in business to make a profit.

One could have a very biased non-profit which only accepts advertising from cigarette manufacturers and spends its money advertising the benefits of smoking. Bias has nothing to do with whether it's a non-profit or not.

CR claims to be neutral and unbiased and not to accept advertising where there might be a conflict of interest. A for-profit group could claim the same thing.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bueller_007 View Post

Their handling of the obviously widespread iPhone 4 issues has been absolutely abysmal.

Their profits say otherwise.
  • Reply 99 of 110
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Did YOU read the full report - or just the bit you wanted to read? Both CR and Anand's tests show that, EVEN WITH THE SIGNAL DEGRADATION, the phone reception is better than the competition.

Wrong !! I find it amusing how you constantly distort the true facts in that article. AnandTech never said that with the signal degradation, the iphone 4 has the best reception. Why do you continue to distort the facts ? You are not fooling anyone. And CR's article said the iPhone 4 with the signal degradation had the *worst* reception of the phones they tested.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

A free bumper with your iPhone4 and be done with it!!!

Of coarse, Apple haters will never let it go, but who gives a f__k what they think anyway!

On the other hand, if a software fix is actually possible, that would be even better.

A full recall is not going to happen because the iPhone4 works great with a damn bumper on.

iPhone 4 also looks PANTS with a damn bumper on it,...kids toy springs to mind,..

not a solution for me,..