Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 227
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    I have one of the iPhone 4s with antenna issues as well. But, how do you explain 5 total iPhones, in the exact same location, with 3 of them exhibiting the antenna issue problem, while the others seem to work fine and we can't reproduce the problem in those?
  • Reply 22 of 227
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    if I didn't know better I'd say they are implying that there is some kind of problem with the phone....
  • Reply 23 of 227
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    People complaining about dropped calls and know it's caused by holding the lower left portion of the phone. Yet people continue to experience dropped calls because they insist on holding the lower left portion of the phone knowing that's what causes the dropped calls.

If you feel strongly against changing the way you normally hold your phone then return your phone (AT&T is waiving restocking fee by the way - I know coz a friend of mine didn't get charged for it), or get a case, or get another phone, or wait and hope Apple fixes the problem. If you choose to keep the phone then hold it correctly so your calls doesn't get dropped..
  • Reply 24 of 227
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

I have one of the iPhone 4s with antenna issues as well. But, how do you explain 5 total iPhones, in the exact same location, with 3 of them exhibiting the antenna issue problem, while the others seem to work fine and we can't reproduce the problem in those?

I'd say the chances of that happening are zero. The iPhone 4's that have been tested all drop exactly the same amount of signal under the same circumstances.

Please provide more information about these 5 iPhones because otherwise it appears that the testing you're talking about is very dubious.
  • Reply 25 of 227
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets said Wednesday that he is hopeful that Apple will address the concerns of users over the iPhone 4 reception by providing customers with free protective cases.

Apple will never appease customers with free Bumprers.
  • Reply 26 of 227
    .. Got my iPhone 4 and have encountered zero issues, and I've tried every death-grip/squeeze I could think of. I've handed the phone to numerous friends/engineers from work here, and no one could replicate the issue (software development dept.). I've visited the AppleStore, and failed to replicate this signal issue there with demo models either, so I guess I'm at a loss on what's really going on .. however.. I'd recommend everyone take a break and head over to Anandtech and read their extensive, almost 10 page? review on the iPhone 4 .. It's very detailed, sensible, and explains in great detail every aspect of the phone, including numerous tests with the signal issue, which I think is a non-issue (note I used the word I, I'm not speaking for anyone else).
  • Reply 27 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I don't think it is a defect. I'm pretty sure Apple engineers have heard of attenuation and were aware of placing two antennas within contact of each other. These people aren't idiots. Let's see how the software update deals with it before we cry wolf.

The expected software update is a COSMETIC change only that deals with the signal bar display. It will have zero affect on the dropped call issue.
  • Reply 28 of 227
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired?

I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand that the iPhone created.

Now, I have a phone that does not operate as advertized, it drops calls in areas where the reception is poor (ie. where I work). On the desk, it works fine; but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

I have since purchased a case, and disabling the 3G has given me improved reception - but this isn't what was advertized, and this is not what I was would think would be an acceptable product. If I try to return the product, I'm still out my early termination cost from Verizon (significant), a restocking fee from AT&T (minor, but irritating) and then will be forced into taking a phone I do NOT want (Apple 3GS) for the remainder of the 2 yr committment.

I see no reason why this was not discovered during testing, and I'm an engineer with over 25 yrs experience, working in R&D, Manufacturing and Testing. I find it very suspicious that Apple would say that this came as a surprise, this indicates that either Apple's official stance is to have no integrity and give an outright 'Lie' as their official stance; or they are horribly inept at product test. I don't believe that they are inept.

No one loves a liar.

Sorry, but my experience is different. I have seen issues that appeared not until after production ramp up or a critical supplier component batch.

In most cases the could be solved by slight adjustments of the production process and by modifying some specs of your quality control (e.g. towards the supplier).

It's called continuos in-line quality control and approval process.

Even the best companies I had the luck to work for had issues they got aware after units were delivered, while random sampling didn't indicate a problem because the specific defect wasn't addressed by the test arrangement.

I find it exceptional that you were never effected in the past 25 years.

Where I'm with You is the fact there seems to be space for improvement.
  • Reply 29 of 227
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    How on earth did they calculate the cost of a case being $15?

The actual cost of creating a rubber case has got to be in the 2-3 dollar range.
  • Reply 30 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

There is no restocking fee (waived). If it's less than 30 days you can leave AT&T at no cost.

If you bought the phone from AT&T and return it like I did, you WILL be charged a restocking fee.
  • Reply 31 of 227
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

if I didn't know better I'd say they are implying that there is some kind of problem with the phone....

: Didn't you know?

: iPhone 4 like those faulty toyotas can kill you.

: Killed by an antenna?!!

Seriously, i love Apple because they are unique. But as much i want them to succeed there are people who want them to die.

It is life.

Remember it is not an issue, meaning return it, and take back your money.

Simple.
  • Reply 32 of 227
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
  • Reply 33 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

if people have issues with their phone bring it the fuck back. Can we get on with life? This is so lame.

When does the 30 day return policy kick in? What was the release date again? 30 days must be getting close for the early birds.
  • Reply 34 of 227
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired?

I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand that the iPhone created.

Now, I have a phone that does not operate as advertized, it drops calls in areas where the reception is poor (ie. where I work). On the desk, it works fine; but if I dare to pick it up - the signal goes from 4 bars to No Signal.

I have since purchased a case, and disabling the 3G has given me improved reception - but this isn't what was advertized, and this is not what I was would think would be an acceptable product. If I try to return the product, I'm still out my early termination cost from Verizon (significant), a restocking fee from AT&T (minor, but irritating) and then will be forced into taking a phone I do NOT want (Apple 3GS) for the remainder of the 2 yr committment.

I see no reason why this was not discovered during testing, and I'm an engineer with over 25 yrs experience, working in R&D, Manufacturing and Testing. I find it very suspicious that Apple would say that this came as a surprise, this indicates that either Apple's official stance is to have no integrity and give an outright 'Lie' as their official stance; or they are horribly inept at product test. I don't believe that they are inept.

No one loves a liar.

It sounds like you have a bad iPhone or really weak signal. What did Apple say when you took it back?
  • Reply 35 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

The expected software update is a COSMETIC change only that deals with the signal bar display. It will have zero affect on the dropped call issue.

Correct, but facts and common sense reasoning like that will largely fall on deaf ears.
  • Reply 36 of 227
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

But, any RF Engineer knows that touching an antenna is NEVER a good thing - it introduces parasitical resistance (you can work with that) and a 10-40 pF capacitance (Very Bad). .

"...any RF Engineer knows..." And you call yourself an engineer after that? What grade did you drop out of school?
  • Reply 37 of 227
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

It sounds like you have a bad iPhone or really weak signal. What did Apple say when you took it back?

His experiences are exactly the same as mine. I got a replacement from my carrier and the new phone has exactly the same problem to the exact same degree and that was after waiting for them to get a new batch in.
  • Reply 38 of 227
    Quote:

You have probably seen the Diagnostics Toolbox in the earlier OS. Why was this removed? They had the software, and they intentionally removed it .... why?

There is no real need for that for the average user. The real genius of Apple's design is what they leave out.
  • Reply 39 of 227
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eddiet View Post

I am in Japan and cannot simply return the phone. I would have to break my contract, which would result in me not being able to ever get a cell phone in Japan again.

What kind of draconian rule is that? You break a contract and you're banned for life from owning a cell phone ever again?
  • Reply 40 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

I highly doubt that Apple intentionally did this. Why would they release a flawed product that would have a negative impact on the company? I don't know if it's a design or software issue so I'm holding out on my judgement for now.

It is a simple software issue. Apple has already said so.