WGC-Accenture World Match Play

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wanted to let the golfers at AI know that the World Golf Championships match play event is going down right now. I thought maybe we could discuss what we think the outcome will be.

Some noted matches at this time Tiger & Sergio are AS (all square) and Charlie Howell is 1 up in his match. Although Tiger hasn't been on his game I wouldn't be surprised if he uses this even as the stepping stone to a great 2002. Masters are coming up and I'm sure all these guys wanna get their games in shape before they go to Augusta. Tiger also loves match play and has the nitty gritty/fired up attitude that it takes to be a great match play player. He's determined and wants to win. I wouldn't look for David Duval to go very far as his game has become a little absent. A lot of people say Sergio will win, however I think Sergio has a tough opponent in Howell 2nd round. I think a lot of upsets could come, in fact they already are. John Daly has been playing well so I look for him to have a good showing this week.

Davis Love III was 5 up with 5 to play but its now 2 up on 17, with Phillip Price hitting it in close and Davis with a 35 foot putt. Come on DL3!

Also, I'll be cheering on Shingo Katayama and Toshi Izawa.

The event is in Carlsbad, California and you can catch the action right now on ESPN.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    O'Malley 1 up on Woods thru 9

Howell 2 up
  • Reply 2 of 4
    1,2,3 seeds are all down. Sergio just made a putt to pull even.

Howell 2 up

Woods 1 down
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Do you know if Hal Sutton is playing? I always kinda pull for him. We have the same teacher.

I'm looking to Phil Mickelson to win the Masters this year. He hasn't been playing that great but I think another shot at a major will awaken his game. (And he really, really wants one)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Hal Sutton lost to Tom lehman.

Mickelson lost I believe. Not sure about Duval.

Tiger lost to O'Malley the last guy to get in, 2&1! Yikes. He hit it close on 17 too and I guess O'Malley drained a long putt.

Sergio won fairly easily (despite taking 20 minutes to hit each shot).