iPhone 4 recall could cost Apple $1.5 billion

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

A free bumper with your iPhone4 and be done with it!!!

Of coarse, Apple haters will never let it go, but who gives a f__k what they think anyway!

On the other hand, if a software fix is actually possible, that would be even better.

A full recall is not going to happen because the iPhone4 works great with a damn bumper on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

One thing I agree with is regardless of how big the actual iPhone 4 antennae issue is, the even bigger concern is long term consumer perception of Apple. Tight control, secretive moves, and dismissing complaints might work well when things are going smoothly, but they only compound the problem when things are going badly. At the beginning the iPhone 4 antennae issue might have only attracted the attention of Apple fans, Apple haters, and tech geeks, but now I'm seeing the issue and Apple's handling start being mentioned at nightly news programs where the audience is the general public. This is going to be the freshest thing on people's mind the next time they think of Apple.

Apple really needs to clarify the hardware antennae issue. If it turns out to be an issue afterall, they need to be clear how they intend to fix it. If they still believe it's a non-issue, they should be upfront about why, such as percent of users complaining, which perhaps is actually very small, specific usage conditions which they feel is unreasonable, data to show that % dropped calls on the iPhone 4 is actually lower than the iPhone 3G S, etc. Perhaps Apple was hoping that the issue will blow over, but that certainly doesn't look like it'll happen. They definitely need to reclaim control of the issue.

Well put may i say,...
  • Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They are not going to recall a product with nothing wrong with it.

Stupid people, my god.

Fair enough ? that leaves the door open for them to recall the iPhone 4, the third-generation iPod shuffle, MobileMe, and a whole whack of Time Capsules.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, that's not what non-profit means. Non-profit means simply that they're not in business to make a profit.

One could have a very biased non-profit which only accepts advertising from cigarette manufacturers and spends its money advertising the benefits of smoking. Bias has nothing to do with whether it's a non-profit or not.

CR claims to be neutral and unbiased and not to accept advertising where there might be a conflict of interest. A for-profit group could claim the same thing.

I know exactly what a non-profit is, i work for one. I should have stated that I was trying to describe why they are non-profit, not what one is.

Thanks for the correction,
  • Reply 104 of 110
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Signal Attenuation Comparison in dB - Lower is Better

Cupping Tightly \tHolding Naturally \tOn an Open Palm \tHolding Naturally Inside Case

iPhone 4 \t 24.6 \t 19.8 \t 9.2 \t 7.2

iPhone 3GS \t14.3 \t 1.9 \t 0.2 \t 3.2

HTC Nexus One \t17.7 \t 10.7 \t 6.7 \t 7.7

From the report, lower is better. The iPhone 4 was highest no matter how you hold it.

But the review also states:

"The Antenna is Improved. From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low...so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

jragosta is wrong here. This part is not a comparison of all phones. It is only a comparison between the iPhone 4 and the 3GS. What someone really needs to do is compare the iPhone with a whole bunch of other phones on AT&T's network so that we can finally find out once and for all if it is the network or the phone. I suspect the former, but I have no data to back that up besides by personal experiences with AT&T.

Finally, they sycophantic posts from some on this forum with respect to Apple are laughable. jragosta and solipsism are the worst, but there are others. Apple is a big company and no matter how you slice it, they have made a big mistake here. How big we don't know because none of us are experts. If nothing else, this is a PR disaster bar none. But this mindless defense of Apple at all costs makes you look foolish, to say the least.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Wrong !! I find it amusing how you constantly distort the true facts in that article. AnandTech never said that with the signal degradation, the iphone 4 has the best reception. Why do you continue to distort the facts ? You are not fooling anyone. And CR's article said the iPhone 4 with the signal degradation had the *worst* reception of the phones they tested.

• Reply 105 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

jragosta is wrong here. This part is not a comparison of all phones. It is only a comparison between the iPhone 4 and the 3GS. What someone really needs to do is compare the iPhone with a whole bunch of other phones on AT&T's network so that we can finally find out once and for all if it is the network or the phone. I suspect the former, but I have no data to back that up besides by personal experiences with AT&T.

Finally, they sycophantic posts from some on this forum with respect to Apple are laughable. jragosta and solipsism are the worst, but there are others. Apple is a big company and no matter how you slice it, they have made a big mistake here. How big we don't know because none of us are experts. If nothing else, this is a PR disaster bar none. But this mindless defense of Apple at all costs makes you look foolish, to say the least.

Speaking of looking foolish:

In a single post, you claim that you think the problem is with the network - but then you blame Apple. That is exactly the kind of mindless, knee-jerk response that offends me.

I'm not 100% behind Apple and anything they do. I criticize them when they deserve it. I AM against idiotic, mindless Apple-bashing that so many people here practice. If there weren't so many idiots here, I would have to respond.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

In a single post, you claim that you think the problem is with the network - but then you blame Apple. That is exactly the kind of mindless, knee-jerk response that offends me.

I'm not 100% behind Apple and anything they do. I criticize them when they deserve it. I AM against idiotic, mindless Apple-bashing that so many people here practice. If there weren't so many idiots here, I would have to respond.

Interesting that you ignored my post. You claimed: "Both CR and Anand's tests show that, EVEN WITH THE SIGNAL DEGRADATION, the phone reception is better than the competition." That was either a clear misreading of the report or a willful misrepresentation. Either way you were wrong in your so-called defense of Apple.

Again you either misread my post or are willfully misrepresenting what I wrote. So here it is again: "Apple is a big company and no matter how you slice it, they have made a big mistake here. How big we don't know because none of us are experts. If nothing else, this is a PR disaster bar none."

Do I "blame" Apple? Not necessarily for the antenna problem. None of us have enough information to "blame" OR DEFEND. And that includes you. I do "blame" Apple for the massive PR disaster this has become. When you have headlines on CNN and a Top 10 on the Letterman show, you have a problem.

Finally, you've shown yourself to be quite duplicitous in your selective use of quotations. You are not helping Apple with your misrepresentations.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    apple is doomed

• Reply 108 of 110
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Interesting that you ignored my post. You claimed: "Both CR and Anand's tests show that, EVEN WITH THE SIGNAL DEGRADATION, the phone reception is better than the competition." That was either a clear misreading of the report or a willful misrepresentation. Either way you were wrong in your so-called defense of Apple.

Again you either misread my post or are willfully misrepresenting what I wrote. So here it is again: "Apple is a big company and no matter how you slice it, they have made a big mistake here. How big we don't know because none of us are experts. If nothing else, this is a PR disaster bar none."

Do I "blame" Apple? Not necessarily for the antenna problem. None of us have enough information to "blame" OR DEFEND. And that includes you. I do "blame" Apple for the massive PR disaster this has become. When you have headlines on CNN and a Top 10 on the Letterman show, you have a problem.

Finally, you've shown yourself to be quite duplicitous in your selective use of quotations. You are not helping Apple with your misrepresentations.

Aside from the fact that you're misreading Anand and CR's reports, what does that have to do with the fact that you contradicted yourself in the previous post?

Let me recap for you:

You said that the facts weren't in yet, but that you believed the problem was with the network.

In the very next paragraph, you said that Apple made a major mistake and needs to fix it.

You can't even keep your story straight in consecutive paragraphs. Why should anyone believe ANYTHING you have to say?
  • Reply 109 of 110
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you're a liar, you understand, but I'd like to see some posts where you "criticize them when they deserve it". A link or ten perhaps?

Naturally, it could be a situation where as far as you're concerned, Apple have never deserved criticism in which case there won't be any links required, but I don't want to put words in your mouth.

BTW, I believe you meant "wouldn't" in your final sentence, in case you'd like to edit it. And the truth is, you don't have to respond. You choose to, unless of course it's actually your job to respond.

• Reply 110 of 110
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Tested my spankin' new 3Gs this evening and the following stuff was observed. Interpret as you like...

Side by side in my office, (facing west initially and north secondarily, no case on the 3Gs):

E63 5 bars out of 6

3Gs 4 bars out of 5

E63 5 bars out of 6

3Gs 3 bars out of 5

Side by side in the living room (facing west initially and north secondarily, no case on the 3Gs):

E63 6 bars out of 6

3Gs 4 bars out of 5

E63 3 bars out of 6

3Gs 2 bars out of 5

Without the death grip (using fingertips at the top of each phone) bars on both phones in each situation remained at maximum bars regardless of compass direction. So the signal is affected by holding each phone as I normally would, but I can engineer a no-bars-lost result if I hold each phone unnaturally.

Haven't had an opportunity to test in a truly poor signal area but I will over the weekend. However, in my informal and admittedly unscientific tests, the 3Gs does seem to have a slightly lower bar display vs the E63.

But with the plastic case on, the 3Gs has a slightly better bar display than the E63 around my home. So I guess I'll be leaving the case on. The E63 has a plastic body and doesn't need a case.

I'd have to agree with those who say that holding the iPhone 3Gs at the base of a phone does indeed affect the signal. How much exactly and whether it's enough to drop calls I can't say.

What this does indicate to me is how very unlikely it is that people who claim that they don't drop any bars on their phones, are being honest with either us, or themselves.

Liking my new 3Gs a lot so far. Over the weekend, I'll be app store cruising.