Apple's US Mac sales grow 15.4% to 1.6M in June quarter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quarterly estimated PC sales were released Wednesday afternoon, revealing that Apple was the fourth-largest computer maker in the U.S., shipping 1.6 million units during the second quarter of calendar 2010.

IDC

Apple shipped an estimated 1.618 million Macs in the June quarter, good for an 8.8 percent domestic market share. Apple finished in fourth place, an improvement from last quarter, when the company shipped 1.13 million units and took fifth place with a 6.4 percent market share.

Apple's second-quarter estimates from IDC also showed a 15.4 percent increase from the same three-month period in 2009. A year ago, Apple shipped 1.402 million Macs and had 8.6 percent of the U.S. market.

Apple's fourth-place finish put it ahead of Toshiba, which shipped an estimated 1.56 million PCs and garnered 8.5 percent of the market.

The top domestic PC maker was HP, which shipped an estimated 4.721 million PCs, taking 25.7 percent of the market. It grew 14.2 percent from a year prior.

Dell came in second, with 4.408 million PCs shipped, giving it a projected 24 percent market share. It, too, grew in the double-digits, increasing 10.9 percent from a year prior.

Year-over-year growth was slower for Acer, maker of low-cost netbooks. Though the company came in third place, shipping an estimated 1.618 million PCs and taking 11 percent domestic market share, it only grew 1 percent year-over-year. That was significantly less than the U.S. market average of 12.6 percent year-over-year growth.

Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q10 (Thousands of Units) | Source: IDC

In all, IDC forecast that 18.357 million PCs were shipped in the U.S., out of 81.505 million shipped globally in the three-month period. Worldwide, the top three vendors were the same, with HP followed by Dell and Acer. Taking fourth globally was Lenovo, followed by Toshiba and Asus tied for fifth. Apple did not rank among the top global vendors for the period.

"The PC market remains robust, and in a recovery phase, despite challenges to a broader economic recovery, such as slow job growth and a more conservative outlook in Europe and Asia/Pacific," said Jay Chou, research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker. "The factors which led to the recent PC rebound ? an aging commercial installed base, a proliferation of low-cost media-centric PCs, and low PC penetration through much of the world ? remain key drivers going forward."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    What no comments? You need to include the keyword antenna in the title. Good news like this is never well received......except by stockholders.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    patspats Posts: 112member
    So how did IDC due last qtr in their prediction? They predicted 1130K for 8.3% YOY growth. According to Apples actual earnings release. They sold 971K units in the Americas and 606K in retail for 1577. Lets say US makes up 90% of that 1419 vs a 1130 estimate for an error rate of about 25%. I guess I wouldn't pay for their research. Also what happened to the millions of iPads sold. Right they don't qualify because Apple is the only one selling tablets and making money at it but netbooks count.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    ahh... estimates

I estimate apple would have sold lots

and I didnt even get paid for making that up
  • Reply 4 of 12
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The biggest netbook maker has stagnated? Looks like the people theorizing netbooks aren't a good marriage of limited HW with a full desktop OS may be right if this estimate is even remotely accurate. Who knew?¡
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

So how did IDC due last qtr in their prediction? They predicted 1130K for 8.3% YOY growth. According to Apples actual earnings release. They sold 971K units in the Americas and 606K in retail for 1577. Lets say US makes up 90% of that 1419 vs a 1130 estimate for an error rate of about 25%. I guess I wouldn't pay for their research.

Reminds me of Gartner's scam in the 90's.

Every quarter, they'd publish estimated results stating that sales of software for Macs had declined in the previous quarter. Since this was in the "Apple is dying" days, these reports got lots of press.

Then, sometime during the next few months, more accurate figures came out and it turned out that Apple's sales had actually RISEN, not fallen. To my knowledge, Gartner NEVER published those results, nor did they ever retract their erroneous report.

Then, the next report would again use estimated results in state that software sales for Macs had fallen again in the previous quarter. They would, of course, use the higher figures for the previous period in order to support their contention, but never stated that their history of estimating was wrong every single time.

They kept this up for over 3 years - being wrong in the same direction EVERY SINGLE TIME for that period - and the rest of the media let them get away with it.

Until you've got actual results from the companies involved as part of their 8K reports, analyst guesses can almost always be ignored.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

So how did IDC due last qtr in their prediction? They predicted 1130K for 8.3% YOY growth. According to Apples actual earnings release. They sold 971K units in the Americas and 606K in retail for 1577. Lets say US makes up 90% of that 1419 vs a 1130 estimate for an error rate of about 25%. I guess I wouldn't pay for their research. Also what happened to the millions of iPads sold. Right they don't qualify because Apple is the only one selling tablets and making money at it but netbooks count.

You make a very good point. Does anyone break out netbook totals? If so, it would be simple enough to do the math and re-rank computers vs netbooks/tablets on that basis.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    It seems the author incorrectly stated that Acer sold 1.618 m units last quarter (est.) when the table shows 2.028 units. It was Apple that sold an est 1.618 units.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    patspats Posts: 112member
    So now we have Gartner predictions which IMO are actually not bad compared to NPD

Second-quarter Mac sales in the US are said to have increased by 24 percent to reach 1.7 million units, outpacing the industry average, according to a report published by Gartner Research.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles...#ixzz0ti47ECrp

So a 100K unit increase changes the YOY growth from 8% to 24%. I'm getting confused. The numbers seem low compared to the NPD monthly but the analysis is really BS. How does one company say 1.6M is 8.8% growth and the other 1.7M is 24%. This is a classic case of we can make statistics say what we want. The problem is the two research organizations can't even agree on Apple's sales after Apple publishes the results in their SEC filings. I know this is rocket science, but can't we have some sort of agreement of how to measure reality.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    So Apple's market share grew by 0.2%? At that rate it will take 206 more years to break 50%.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

So Apple's market share grew by 0.2%? At that rate it will take 206 more years to break 50%.

I don't get why that is a realistic goal? HP and Dell still can't get past 25% despite selling hundreds of models at a much larger price range with minuscule profits from scraping the bottom of the market barrel that have to be offset by renting space to crapware vendors to even make that profit. I don't even see 25% as realistic.

Now consider that Apple already takes in 1/3 of all PC profits. Why would they even want to make less money just to push more units?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Apple is dooooomed!

Sorry couldn't resist.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Sleeper success story? While the iPhone is taking on Google out front, the Mac is quietly chipping away at Microsoft in the background. Yay for Unix with a proper UI.