Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A survey asking than 4,000 users about their future plans to buy a smartphone and their current satisfaction with their existing phone indicates Apple is erasing interest in BlackBerry devices among consumers while its iPhones continue to leave customers far more satisfied than any other smartphone on the market.

A report on the survey, published by ChangeWave Research, also indicates a massive surge in interest among consumers interested in buying a smartphone over the next 90 days. The firm found that 52% of those surveyed plan to buy an iPhone, up from 31% saying the same just three months ago.

Interest in HTC phones has grown slightly while Motorola's numbers were down, resulting in overall flat growth in interest among consumers in Android as a platform. Interest in RIM's BlackBerry and Palm smartphones trailed off dramatically, falling from 14% to just 6% for RIM, while Palm's 3% dropped to less than 1% across the same three month period.

Customer satisfaction among smartphone users remained very high for iPhone users, with 73% saying they were "very satisfied." Only 39% of HTC users said the same, and just 34% of Motorola and Palm users did. Among other smartphones, including RIM's seemingly popular BlackBerry, just 20% to 31% of users could say they were "very satisfied." RIM's satisfaction rankings have been dropping steadily for the past seven quarters, according to ChangeWave.

"In recent quarters RIM models appear to have lost their 'cool factor,' and the onus is now squarely on RIM to regain consumers' confidence in their products," ChangeWave wrote. "To do so they need new, highly compelling offerings that can compete on an equal footing with the best that Apple and Android have to offer. Otherwise, RIM's future growth may increasingly be limited to the success or failure of its lower cost models on the international market."

Paired with the very low number of users planning to buy a RIM smartphone, ChangeWave's data indicates BlackBerry users who have been exposed to the iPhone are hooked, and not looking back. Additionally, users who have shifted from BlackBerry to Android report being far less satisfied than those who have moved to Apple's iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    . . . how similar iPhone 4 is to Vista???!!! ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 47
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...
  • Reply 3 of 47
    maxtoshmaxtosh Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Iphone 4 owner here...very satisfied
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Gee Chopper, what a pity some people are completely satisfied with their iPhone. I've had my iP4 since launch day - completely satisfied.

I'd say the report is very relevant.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Someone should tell HP about the Palm Pre purchase intentions!

McD
  • Reply 6 of 47
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Clearly 100% of that other 27% are U.S. based.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

Gee Chopper, what a pity some people are completely satisfied with their iPhone. I've had my iP4 since launch day - completely satisfied.

Nexus one with android 2.2

2.2 has made this a new phone and i am very happy with it. fast, flash works like a charm, and i can tether or use as an access point. i don't have faceview/facetime or whatever its called but i really could care less. used blackberry for years, and have an ipod touch. see no reason to go iphone.

still love my macbook pro though. will get a new one soon i imagine.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    cjlaczcjlacz Posts: 45member
    How about Satisfied and Very Satisfied numbers put together? I'm a very happy iPhone user, but it seems like you are manipulating the numbers to show what you want people to see.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    This survey must be flawed because all the douchebag bloggers claim the world is ending because the iPhone 4 is the biggest failure ever! <-Insert sarcasm here. Maybe if they removed their heads from their butts they would get better reception! I am a very satisfied iPhone 4 user, far better than the original with better reception, especially in places where I never could get a signal using the original iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    WOW Daniel. How do you make up this stuff. You have become so irresponsible reporting.

How do you come up with your article heading from a survey comparing apples iPhone to HTC dumb phones? Somehow this is a comparison to Android? Exactly where does this survey compare iPhone to android?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

WOW Daniel. How do you make up this stuff. You have become so irresponsible reporting.

How do you come up with your article heading from a survey comparing apples iPhone to HTC dumb phones? Somehow this is a comparison to Android? Exactly where does this survey compare iPhone to android?

Seriously dude...

HTC sells exactly 0 dumbphones. They are the largest seller of Android phones. Your precious NExus 1 is also HTC. As are half your Droids.

They sold a small number of Windows Mobile phones, but I assure you that amount is trending towards 0 over the last year.

Motorola OTOH is not a very good comparison since they do indeed sell a large number of dumbphones.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Ahhhhh, dm3 - nudge-nudge, wink-wink. Ahem, silly old you - you are obviously and rather painfully mistaken in your comment. Let me alleviate you of some of that embarrassment:

Quote:

ChangeWave's latest smart phone survey of 4,028 consumers shows an explosive transformation occurring in consumer demand ? resulting in some major new winners and losers for second half 2010.

The survey ? completed June 24th ? took a close-up look at consumer demand for the new Apple iPhone 4 and the HTC Droid Incredible, along with the impact these and other offerings are having on the rest of the smart phone industry.

Among key emerging trends:

Next 90 day projections show the most extensive growth in consumer smart phone sales ever recorded in a ChangeWave survey

Big leaps forward for Apple and HTC are occurring at the expense of Motorola and RIM

The accompanying transformation in mobile OS preferences is being led by a huge increase in demand for the Apple OS and an accelerating downturn for the RIM OS

Keywords to look for dm3 - I bolded them for you to help you out...right from the actual article referenced no less.

No, no. No need to thank me.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post

How about Satisfied and Very Satisfied numbers put together? I'm a very happy iPhone user, but it seems like you are manipulating the numbers to show what you want people to see.

Why didn't we see it??!! Change Wave has a vested interest in misrepresenting the survey numbers to demonstrate a profound lack of accuracy - so that industry purchasers will ignore their offerings and allow them to go quietly into bankruptcy. Now it all suddenly makes sense.

Or was the sarcasm too heavy there? I can never tell this late in the evening.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

Iphone 4 owner here...very satisfied

I'm very happy for you.

New 3Gs owner here and so far so good. Huge leap over my E63.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Gee Chopper would it not be a painful experience to find out that all the calumny you are heaping on it is in vain? And yes, I too am avery satisfied iPhone 4 owner - AFTER checking out every other smartphone out there (at the time) last month, the rest of the players are still 20th century crack boxes for ubergeeks and biz emailers.

DISCLAIMER: I am expressing a personal opinion here, based on personal experience - your mileage and experience may vary.

No other interface, short of perhaps the Palm, comes close to the iPhone 4 in smoothness of operation, length of battery/time in operation, ease of use or variety of truly useful apps. And of course some truly silly ones too. It sits well in the hand - I have not had the antenna issues other have reported. Conversely in fact I have found it to be able to hold signal where my previous 1gen iPhone failed miserably. My data rates have been excellent, the camera takes very nice pix, shoots excellent video, multitasks at a very acceptably level and organized seven screen of apps down to three. One brief proximity sensor issue - rebooted and it went away, not to reoccur.

SECOND DISCLAIMER: None of the positive experiences I have had with my iPhone 4 are meant to in any way denigrate, cast aspersions on or challenge the very real problems of those who in fact are having issues with their iPhone 4s. You all have my profound sympathies.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

I'm happy that you're happy.

Doesn't change the fact that the antenna issue and proximity sensor issue publicity have made the survey, which was completed by June 24, largely irrelevant considering its terms of reference. How many people had an iP4 on June 24, for a start, and how many of those were actually surveyed?

If you still think the results are meaningful, you're choosing to ignore the obvious. And Daniel will be very pleased with you.

• Reply 17 of 47
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I don't really remember blackberry ever being cool. Maybe I'm too young but I always knew they were a great business tool, but not a personal device of choice. That was either razr or sidekick before the iPhone came around.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Somehow I don't think Reuters will be screaming headlines about this...
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Gee Chopper would it not be a painful experience to find out that all the calumny you are heaping on it is in vain? And yes, I too am avery satisfied iPhone 4 owner - AFTER checking out every other smartphone out there (at the time) last month, the rest of the players are still 20th century crack boxes for ubergeeks and biz emailers.

And I'm also happy for you and however many other satisfied iP4 owners post their confirmations here. And after spending as much as you have, I'd certainly hope so.

However, my post was pointing out that the info cited in DED's piece is a poorly disguised attempt to pour oil on the troubled iPhone waters, as he was using a report that pre-dates the iP4 hullabaloo, to promote the phone's satisfaction rating. I doubt very much that it's anywhere near as high now.

But feel free to believe that because you're very satisfied with your purchase that recent events have had no negative impact on the iP4's perceived status. Daniel will also be pleased with your take.

• Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Best iDevice I've ever owned!