chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Unless they hold it wrong, of course.

• Reply 102 of 240
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

1. You don't actually have to "cup your hand around the phone" to make it fail. I've handed the phone off to somebody or switched hands (as another user mentioned) and dropped calls. It's ridiculous.

I was determined to wait until the software update came out to see if they had a fix. I have been reading that the beta was not fixing it, so I had planned on returning the phone tomorrow. Not even 15 minutes after reading that, I read that Apple is supposed to make an announcement on Friday. I just want them to be up front.

Do I need to live with the phone in the state that it is in or are they going to fix the thing? If they aren't recalling it or fixing it, I'll simply return it and continue using my iPhone 3Gs. If they are honest, I'll have no problem buying the revised iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. If they are going to continue to lie to us, and make excuses, I'll take my business elsewhere. \

There are probably quite a few customers holding onto their phone hoping for a remedy. (My 3GS doesn't drop bars regardless of how I hold it.) No, you aren't whining.
  • Reply 103 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modul8tr View Post

It's very possible that all iPhone 4's are NOT faulty, but due to the "public" (internet) perception spilling over into mainstream media, they're going to go above and beyond the call of duty to avoid tarnishing the brand.

So you have tens of thousands of faulty units (acceptable for 2 million+ units built) that have possibly failed due to issues in the new manufacturing process, and a software display bug.

You combine this with the fact that ALL antenna's attenuate when touched (especially external ones) and you can have a serious perception crisis that gets amplified by a blogosphere desperate to report on anything Apple. And if they can make it look SUPER negative, they'll always opt for negative.

This is why the many positive reports on the new antenna from the public, from the tech press, and from antenna engineers who have come forward in recent days have been overshadowed.

I agree. A large part of the negative press being generated is the outpouring of snarky remarks from Android users looking for a way to dampen Apple's success with the iPhone. The new norm on sites like Digg and Engadget is for commenters to completely bash iOS while praising Android, so I'm sure they're doing a large part to perpetuate this. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Android owners on these forums claiming to be iPhone 4 owners having disastrous results when holding the iPhone a certain way.
  • Reply 104 of 240
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

If I kill myself, it will be all your fault.
  • Reply 105 of 240
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Brilliant!!!

Let's hope not eh. \
  • Reply 106 of 240
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:

1. You don't actually have to "cup your hand around the phone" to make it fail. I've handed the phone off to somebody or switched hands (as another user mentioned) and dropped calls. It's ridiculous.

2. Why are you and 5 other guys on here trying to defend this phone?

I actually went out and purchased an AT&T Microcell to try and get rid of the problem, but if I don't sit right next to the Microcell... it drops the call in about a second or two. It's really not cool.

I'm glad it works for you. In fact, I would go as far as saying I'm jealous that it works for you, but it doesn't work for me and many others on here. So don't act like it's just a bunch of whiners trying to get attention. You have no idea who we are or what sort of problems we're having with the phone. What would I have to gain if I said the phone didn't work?

It's pretty cut and dry. Does the phone work the way it was designed to work? The answer is NO. The phone was not designed to have an additional END CALL button on the side of the phone.

I was determined to wait until the software update came out to see if they had a fix. I have been reading that the beta was not fixing it, so I had planned on returning the phone tomorrow. Not even 15 minutes after reading that, I read that Apple is supposed to make an announcement on Friday. I just want them to be up front.

Do I need to live with the phone in the state that it is in or are they going to fix the thing? If they aren't recalling it or fixing it, I'll simply return it and continue using my iPhone 3Gs. If they are honest, I'll have no problem buying the revised iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. If they are going to continue to lie to us, and make excuses, I'll take my business elsewhere. \

I have gotten every iP4 phone I've encountered (3 so far) to drop off in download, with a simple touching of the dreaded G spot. I've gotten it to do so within one block of the flagship Apple store here in Palo Alto (yes, the one Steve visited on June 24), and within one block of the flagship Palo Alto ATT store in the heart of Silly Valley. Please don't tell me it only happens to a few - I don't believe it, and, if you wish me to believe it try it yourself if you are in the California Avenue area of Palo Alto.

Until then, please don't try to tell me how to hold my phone in order to make it work as advertised, and don't tell me it is faster than the 3G or 3GS I have owned, because, when touching (not gripping tightly, or pressing tightly, or any such abnormal behavior), the iP4 STOPPED downloading completely - yes completely, and only resumed when I lifted my finger off the spot. This was so annoying that, after 3 weeks of use, I took it back, and will hope that Apple does the right thing, but will not hold my breath.

That's like telling someone who is right handed that they have to learn to use their left hand - absurd on its face, and would not be tolerated in a host of other hardware items, which have been mentioned before.
  • Reply 107 of 240
    bytorx1bytorx1 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.

Listen, although the bars aren't accurate, what's with the hate and ignorance here.

You can still make a call and the whole dropped call thing is 90% bull by majority of users.

Why everyone is focused on this lame issue and yet the phone still works. Are there some that have legit issue? sure, but with the dumb tests every blogging jack ass does attracts the next whiner who just needs to complain about something that is a perceived issue in majority of the cases.

And if everyone here digs deep enough device makes (cellular) have always in their tech docs given "recommended" ways to best hold their phones for best reception.

No I wish people would shut up, use their phones and move on.
  • Reply 108 of 240
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

You sound sad, and despirited by it all. I hear you - But What can Apple actually do to come out of this smelling of roses ?

Nothing - doesn't matter what they do, they're going to be damned and the frenzy will continue. Meanwhile ( as I've read elsewhere on this forum) ATT stores have a grand total of 25 iP4's returned ... .

I have no doubt Apple will remain exceedingly profitable while their products continue to sell regardless of their flaws.

It is the change of attitude from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design, and the lack of a strong challenger that worries me. And unfortunately, the overall handling of this saga has been subpar compared to previous incidents like the original iPhone price drop.

It's the Dark Knight syndrome. "Live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
  • Reply 109 of 240
    macduffmacduff Posts: 30member
    You know what Dave Letterman said about your nuts getting shocked every time you check email? Happens to me every time. But, like a good Apple fanboi, I'm learning to like it!
  • Reply 110 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

that's not going to happen. It'll kill the 3rd party case makers.

Bumpers are not like Cases! If I want to jog with iPhone, I need a Case that goes around my arm, or is hooked to a belt... So it's not EITHER OR, it's AND...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Notice that they waited until after the cessation of aftermarket trading to make this announcement, to allow the pros to set themselves up for a hoped for boost in Aapl stock tomorrow, pre open. Never fails.

Better yet, they didn't give enough time for the MEDIA to raise heat!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There is a similar spot on the left hand bottom side of the Droid Aris. Nobody is complaining about that.

Problem is that the press is having a field day beating up on Apple, reporting things wrong, and now APple will have to take action that it shouldn't have to do. I suspect it will reiterate that it offers a full refund for people not happy, and offer a free bumper case.

Unlike a lot of companies, Apple actually has class.

From now on, Consumer Report, "The Voice of God"!, and all those who have weighed in on this topic, should be REQUIRED to put EVERY iPhone Challenger under the same scrutiny as they put iPhone 4, at least as far as the reception!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by modul8tr View Post

"You're holding it wrong" is a MISQUOTE.

What he said was this: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Which he then followed up with a longer email explaining why.

Whatever you think of the response, at least get the quote right.

Thanks for pointing that out! Too bad that MEDIA got away with distorting it!!! Maybe Steve Jobs can straighten them out tomorrow! It'd be great if he put them all in their place!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

That was the spin put on it by numerous headline writers. It was dishonest but it sure did increase clicks.

Steve should really stick it to the media on misquoting him!

Quote:

If they don't allow the press to ask questions, the headline the next day will be "Apple Ducks the Press, Announcement Raises New Questions". Apple might be planning to stand there and answer every question from every dumbass journalist and blogger, until the swiftboat is demolished and sinking into the mud at the bottom of the bay.

I doubt that Apple would call a Press Conference, with Q+A, unless their are super confident!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is bad.

Very bad.

I almost bet that the answer that Apple is gonna give friday will *not* be a good answer. It won't satisfy the heat.

How do we know this? Easy. It's not Apple sauce. When Apple fucks up they are lousy in the interim until they get the full fix. That one will take time, since the problem here is the "brilliant" design that Ive produced. Oh boy oh boy....

Nobody can please everybody! Obviously Jobs and Ives didn't impress you! So, make your own phone, or buy another phone! That would seem like a logical step for you!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBearDan View Post

I hope they do something, I upgraded the beta 4.1 today and wham, not good.

4.1 did nothing to fix the problem in fact I am really sorry to say I think it made it worse on my phone. Before I had to really squeeze hard to get the results everyone else was having so i did not think it was that big of a deal, now after 4.1, I just hold it slightly and the bars drop like a rock!

Beta..... Why did you jump the gun?

Quote:

It could be positive.

They could announce that they have sold 3,000,000 and have received 37 returns.

If they announce they are giving away bumpers or that they have found a firmware

modification that eliminates the problem or some other action that satisfies people,

the uncertainty around the problem will disappear. Then look where the stock goes.

Go AAPL - http://www.google.com/finance?client=ig&q=AAPL It's about time the loyal shareholders, not day traders and options speculators, get rewarded!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

...when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Seriously, mine works fine. I can't get get the bars or the speedtest scores to drop no matter how much i try to squeeze the life out of it. I'd be very, very surprised if they said all iPhone 4's are affected.

! Looks like some folks can't take (your) YES for an answer! It remindes me of a joke Q: Is ANYTHING OK?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

If they do decide to go this route, they won't actually implement it by giving out bumpers or refunds. Instead they will offer $35 gift cards to the Apple Store to all purchasers (past and current). They'll let the users decide whether and how they want to spend the credit. Many will go ahead and spend more than that while they are there, regardless of whether they get a bumper, and most will go home feeling taken care of.

Done deal.

Thompson

Gift Cards - Great Idea!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You don't call a press conference to reiterate what you've already said. That's just asking for media trouble.

If they were just going to say what they already have, they would have just released a statement to the press.

Apple has to be clearly confident!!! We'll know soon!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

Huh? You truly think that Apple didn't test their new metal frame == external antenna?! I'm convinced that Apple knew about this "problem" but determined that it's better to release it than probably not have a iPhone 4 in time. Now it has blown up in their faces. In a way they deserve it - people getting a bit too cocky and arrogant in Cupertino...

Personally, I find this situation quite hilarious. I can make my iPhone 4 stop all data transmission when I touch the gap even though it shows 5 bars (in the vicinity of a micro-cell). So what?! The moment I don't touch the gap, the phone resumes immediately at several Mbps down and 100s of kbps up. To me, the look and feel of this design (glass, stainless and the antenna) trumps 100% reliability as a function of grip. And no, the phone is not useless. It won't drop calls and won't stop data transmission if you manage to not touch the gap. Is that SOOOOOOOOOOOO difficult to do.

I recommend apple apply a sticker to the gap, labeling it the "hangup call" button. They should file a patent!!!

I do feel bad for clumsy people who have limited control over their fingers and can't handle this phone

We might never know what, if, they knew, cover up etc. Of course the conspiracy folks will never be convinced no matter what!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity View Post

How is the it's being held improperly debate still going. Just watch the WWDC10 presentation or have a look at many of Apple's own ads for the iPhone. Apparently they don't know how to hold it either.

It's a cop out.

Yep... But then, if it was a bad batch in early production, maybe that was not a cop out? We'll know soooooooooooooooon!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

But what if it's not fixable to your satisfaction ? What if the 'fix' is a free bumper and independent sources say in 99% of cases it fixes the problem. And you're in the 99%?

The point I want to make is that Apple are going to get slammed on Friday, no matter what they say or do. And while the problem is real for you (yes you should want a fix, I have no problem there) in reality the problem may not be as widespread as sufferers believe.

So what does Apple do? recall all iPhones including the ones happy users?

There's really very little Apple can do here. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I wish all other CE companies and their products were treated the same as Apple and it's products. That, would lead to better products all round. Alas the web has found it's plaything.

Excellent point!!! Some folks will never be happy!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If Panasonic introduced their latest and greatest Plama TV that was a tour de force of technology and had one slight flaw - the picture was displayed upside down - by your logic (sic) 'intelligent reasonable' people should be perfectly happy with Panasonics explanation - 'you are viewing it the wrong way' and should just adapt by standing on their heads instead of returning the not fir for purpose device they had purchased.

How about a car where turning the steering wheel to the left makes it go right, and vise versa - 'you're steering it wrong'.

I wonder how Consumer Reports handled that case!!! Now, that they took on Apple that way, it's CR how should be held to the HIGHEST STANDARD, and REQUIRED to test ALL PHONES as closely as they did with iPhone 4!!!! That would be the ONLY way for them to remain sort of CREDIBLE!!!! Seeing how many have criticized them for their previous performance, CR itself has a CREDIBILITY ISSUE!!!

I am counting days to get my iPhone 4, and MacBook Pro 17' all maxed out BTO!!!!

Thanks to all for your Comment!
  • Reply 111 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If I kill myself, it will be all your fault.

Well I wouldn't want your death on my conscience, so do try to avoid the impulse.
  • Reply 112 of 240
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I would be very surprised if there is a general recall but if Apple has found that there is a real issue with a percentage of the phones I would expect them to make good. In my experience Apple has been quite good about that sort of thing. Your case seems to be extreme and I would expect Apple to fix the problem by giving you a new phone.

For everyone who has managed to replicate the much publicized problem I am very curious if a piece of tape or a touch of nail varnish has alleviated the problem. If so there may be a simple fix made available. Apple is sure to acknowledge something and to point out the amount of returns they have had. I suspect they will offer an exchange program (if they have found a number of phones , like yours, to be faulty), and also a simple fix, the main purpose of which will be to stem the flow of negative pr. No doubt they will point out the positives and offer something as a distraction. Free bumpers seem to me to be a bad option. Not everybody likes likes them (me) and it is an acknowledgement of 'guilt' beyond admitting that there is a problem with a 'small number' of phones.
  • Reply 113 of 240
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    My iP4 is working great, since I fixed the SIM card earlier today. No bumper required now. The bars don't budge when held wrong. Everyone else with the problem should look into it.
  • Reply 114 of 240
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Well I wouldn't want your death on my conscience, so do try to avoid the impulse.

It's too late, I've already gone and done it.
  • Reply 115 of 240
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

When they make computers while ending wars and world hunger I'll call them superior.

This press conference is much needed.

God that's dumb...
  • Reply 116 of 240
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Btw, it wasn't Fortune that surveyed AT&T stores. It was BMO Capital Markets. When will you start reporting facts correctly instead of twisting facts ? BMO is a financial company that has a buy rating for Apple. I take their so called survey with a grain of salt. They have a dog in this fight. Do you know the methodology of this survey ? Do you know how many stores they truly called ? Do you think store managers really have the freedom from AT&T to accurately report this data to an outside source ? When was this survey taken ? A lot of unanswered questions. This so called survey is completely meaningless without more facts behind it. Also, it will be interesting to see how many customers will be returning their phone when their 30-day trial gets close to the end. Because they are just waiting/hoping for Apple to come out with a fix. Which it looks like they might announce this Friday.

I'm still waiting for ANY evidence indicating that any significant number of people have returned their iPhone.

I realize that you don't like the BMO survey. If you're accusing them of lying, you'd better notify the SEC. Clearly, you don't have any such evidence. In reality, you're just whining because the real world doesn't support your inane whining. But go ahead and produce evidence that people are returning the phone in significant quantities - if you can find any.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Try holding your phone in your hand so that you hand is cupped around the antenna and then put it to your head. It's practically impossible to even hold it that way. The only time it's even do-able holding the phone this way, is when it's in your hand in front of you.

If you put the phone in your left hand so that the meat of your palm covers the spot (like in all the pictures), it gets really awkward holding onto it the closer you get to your head. In fact, your elbow ends up in front of your stomach if you try it. The natural "proper" way to hold a phone leaves you holding mostly onto the top of it in some way, with the bottom part slightly away from your face.

Take a look at the people you see in the street making phone calls. Not one of them (or very, very , very few of them), are "holding it wrong." It doesn't take a genius to hold a phone properly.

Exactly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I got an iP4 and I CERTAINLY do not want any bumper. I want the issue fixed!

What if it can't be fixed to your satisfaction (it's pretty clear that NOTHING would satisfy most of the whiners)? Take the phone back and spare us your whining.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Enough with all the silly denial and ambiguous language.

There's nothing 'alleged' about these iPhone4 issues - They're Real, and Apple needs to address them now.

No one ever denied that a small number of phones have a problem - but with > 3 M sold, that's not surprising. Where's your evidence that the number of 'defective' phones is a significant percentage? Since the number of returns is so small, it doesn't look like the real world agrees with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Yea, there are whiners. But the big problem came not because of the minor problem with the iPhone 4, but rather it's due to the piss-poor job of Apple's response to the issue.

OK. Let's say you're right and Apple should have handled it better. So you're going to spend countless hours whining on AI because you don't like the way Apple handled it? Why not reserve your whining for real issues?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I have gotten every iP4 phone I've encountered (3 so far) to drop off in download, with a simple touching of the dreaded G spot. I've gotten it to do so within one block of the flagship Apple store here in Palo Alto (yes, the one Steve visited on June 24), and within one block of the flagship Palo Alto ATT store in the heart of Silly Valley. Please don't tell me it only happens to a few - I don't believe it, and, if you wish me to believe it try it yourself if you are in the California Avenue area of Palo Alto.

Until then, please don't try to tell me how to hold my phone in order to make it work as advertised, and don't tell me it is faster than the 3G or 3GS I have owned, because, when touching (not gripping tightly, or pressing tightly, or any such abnormal behavior), the iP4 STOPPED downloading completely - yes completely, and only resumed when I lifted my finger off the spot. This was so annoying that, after 3 weeks of use, I took it back, and will hope that Apple does the right thing, but will not hold my breath..

You're jinxed. The iPhone hates you. Just take yours back for a refund and spare us all the whining.

No product will make everyone happy. The iPhone doesn't make you happy, so why do you continue to spend so much energy whining about it?
  • Reply 117 of 240
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.

Is it a dumb ass mistake that you quoted him wrong? He never said that.
  • Reply 118 of 240
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm trying to understand your post. Are you saying this situation is the consumers' fault for not being intelligent enough?

This is not a comment on your reply to his post other then to say when I read your first couple of sentences, it gave me a good chuckle. Which is something I think we could all use right about now!

/

/

/
  • Reply 119 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's too late, I've already gone and done it.

Right-oh...

Say g'day to my granddad and my ex-dog Max for me. Hey, was Suzie Salmon right about the tree made of birds? (Maybe that was just Peter jackson's imagination though...)
  • Reply 120 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I have no doubt Apple will remain exceedingly profitable while their products continue to sell regardless of their flaws.

It is the change of attitude from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design, and the lack of a strong challenger that worries me. And unfortunately, the overall handling of this saga has been subpar compared to previous incidents like the original iPhone price drop.

It's the Dark Knight syndrome. "Live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Many a true word said there - certainly part of this backlash is because it's now the meme Apple have gotten too big for their boots. But lack of a strong challenger ... come on - Android based phones will outsell the iPhone this year. Indeed I'll bet Apple will at best be number 2 in the world wide smart phone market.

Frankly, I think this is a good lesson for Apple to learn. But how they solve it beats me.

I'd go as far as to say - no matter what they do they're going to be slammed. And the sniping will continue as the bloggers fresh from their success will continue to place Apple and their iPhone under more scrutiny than other phone manufacturers. Apple no matter what they do now will be the industry whipping boys for this season.