Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Comments

• Reply 141 of 240
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"

actually that's a pretty good idea!
  • Reply 142 of 240
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Does this mean that you have had trouble with the iPhone? (You might have said so elsewhere, sorry if I missed your post!)

Sure I've had trouble. But, i'm still on the first gen iphone, so i'm not complaining. it served me well, for 3 years, (well maybe not the SAME phone, but 3 just like it). I'm waiting for the white one since I didn't get a choice of colors the first time and pocket lint looks so tacky on a black iPhone.

I'm trying to make light of the situation here. It seems that some people have issues. Issues with their phones and issues with their temper. They're not the first ones to have Apple products that don't work as advertised. For the most part, Apple fixes the problem if there is one, eventually. There are a lot of people who post here who know what I'm talking about. Whether it was a Powerbook titanium that the paint peeled off, or a first gen G5 Mac Pro with a leaking cpu cooler, or any, ANY version of the iMac flatscreen (not the lamp one, that one was ok). They all have had some issue and usually been taken care of. Remember the first iPhone fiasco? I got a $99 giftcard out of it and a lot of people had issues with their giftcards. I take all of these in stride since life is too short to have a stroke over this crap.

So to answer your question, it was a joke. A joke to see what does Apple do to try to calm these people who have had such a horrible thing done to them that they should seek a support group.

/SARCASM
  • Reply 143 of 240
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoneNuts View Post

If Apple is actually calling a meeting with the press, then it's to initiate a full recall and try to put a good spin on it.

HTC, Google, HP, Microsoft (and probably Nokia too) will then sponsor $$$$ to highlight the event as reason why no one can trust Apple Inc anymore. They will attempt to claim that Apple is not as technically smart as they think they are. They will claim that Apple is all about outward design, and technically way over their heads. That their arrogance got in the way of resolving and testing their design before using their customers as guinea pigs.

Seeing this is like seeing the whole Toyota Prius recall happening all over again.

Yup, Apple certainly shot their own foot on this one. It's too bad too, because it's actually a great phone, and all this distracts from all the great things that come next.

Please spare the world with boring car recalls.
  • Reply 144 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Please spare the world with boring car recalls.

But what about the rumors that if you hit the back of a iPhone 4 real hard it could burst into flames?

• Reply 145 of 240
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member
    The next iPhone killer?

The iPhone!
  • Reply 146 of 240
    uncabouuncabou Posts: 6member
    On Friday, if Apple were to acknowledge the design issue has disappointed too many of its customers, whether the problem is considered minor or serious, I think for the sake of the brand image, a full refund to dissatisfied owners should be offered.

For those who choose to retain their iPhone 4, some appropriate gesture by Apple should likewise be made.

I've been looking forward to the Australian iPhone 4 release since I sold my iPhone 3G about a month ago. I had already decided to include the bumper even before I first read about reception problems and I'll be very disappointed if this delays the local release of this really beautiful product and I'm forced to go to a lesser alterative.
  • Reply 147 of 240
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm still waiting for ANY evidence indicating that any significant number of people have returned their iPhone.

I realize that you don't like the BMO survey. If you're accusing them of lying, you'd better notify the SEC. Clearly, you don't have any such evidence. In reality, you're just whining because the real world doesn't support your inane whining. But go ahead and produce evidence that people are returning the phone in significant quantities - if you can find any.

Actually he's not accusing them of lying. He is accusing you of making sweeping generalizations without the facts to back it up, as per your usual. BTW, I noticed you used variations on the word "whining" 8 times in that post. Try a thesaurus.
  • Reply 148 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UncaBou View Post

On Friday, if Apple were to acknowledge the design issue has disappointed too many of its customers, whether the problem is considered minor or serious, I think for the sake of the brand image, a full refund to dissatisfied owners should be offered.

For those who choose to retain their iPhone 4, some appropriate gesture by Apple should likewise be made.

I've been looking forward to the Australian iPhone 4 release since I sold my iPhone 3G about a month ago. I had already decided to include the bumper even before I first read about reception problems and I'll be very disappointed if this delays the local release of this really beautiful product and I'm forced to go to a lesser alterative.

Well anyone from the tinfoil hat club will tell you that they knew about the problem and that's what the delay is, to fix it in manufactering. Just don't go do something stupid like buy an Android phone. It's a bizarro iPhone.
  • Reply 149 of 240
    There not recalling mine. Now't wrong with it. If they issue free bumpers I'll be slightly annoyed as I've just bought one for 20 squid.
  • Reply 150 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

There not recalling mine. Now't wrong with it. If they issue free bumpers I'll be slightly annoyed as I've just bought one for 20 squid.

Is there any issues with the phone in the UK? I haven't heard any.
  • Reply 151 of 240
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think it's really funny how everyone assumes that Apple will provide some kind of fix (i.e. refund, free-something-case, or total recall). Has anyone thought that perhaps this press conference will be just to answer allegations made against the iP4? Maybe Apple was doing testing of their own and want to show people factual information regarding the phone "issues".

Now, I might be wrong about that, but IMO, i could easily see this conference become basically like a White House press conference. They talk and talk and talk but say very little.
  • Reply 152 of 240
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Steve Jobs:

"folks thanks for coming here; we are delighted to announce that there will be a free upgrade to next generation iPhone 4(G), trade in old model get new one, completely redesigned and fully functional, model

in the meantime, get your arse over your local Apple store, and they will apply a strip of shocking red coloured duct tape around the antenna to alleviate the problem. Best of all, it's free of charge

how does it sound?"

(followed by a rapturous applause among the syncopates in the room)
  • Reply 153 of 240
    jimcordjimcord Posts: 31member
    Let's start out that I too am a owner of a iPhone 4, so I can speak from experience. What I believe most people are forgetting is the resentment that many people are feeling from Apple's PR remarks. Whether it is Steve himself or appointed people who respond to his email, the remark that "you are just holding your phone wrong" rubbed people the right way. People stood in line for many hours to then find that the phone does have some problems to then be told the problem is them. Then you add insult to injury by being told that a Apple Bumper will fix your problem, how fortunate we are to have to pay $29.95 to solve Apple's design flaw. Let be honest here, Apple has made the original iphone, then 3G and then 3GS and no Apple branded case for any of them so why now with iPhone 4? They knew there was a problem and provided a owner paid for fix for their problem! Then as if the sky had opened with a software fix, we hear that it's just a bad algorithm that displays the signal bars incorrectly. We all knew that as bull and all that would have been done was reprogram the OS to show better or worse bars to "hide" the problem. You can't pull repeated crap like this and expect consumers to finally not push back after being made to look like fools for believing in a company and spending their hard earned cash to purchase your product. We might be lemmings sometimes, but even fanboys and girls are not fools for too long. Unfortunately, I don't think that Apple would be finally responding to the problem if it had not finally reached the mainstream via Consumer Reports - if it had stayed on the forums they would have rode this out until it passed. What I will always wonder is what would the response and outcome of this entire situation of instead of being told to hold your phone differently......had they said.......we have heard some complaints and we are looking into it....instead of insulting their best customers. Apple is profit motivated like all companies and is hearing HTC and Motorola stealing sales on a daily basis throughout this PR crisis. Apple could have created their own outcome if they had chosen to believe that for once their customers might be right and not them!
  • Reply 154 of 240
    jnjnjnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this Friday will hold a press conference on its Cupertino-based campus to discuss the iPhone 4 and, presumably, the growing array of allegations from the media over the handset's reception woes.

Maybe the irrational iPhone4 whining is over after the meeting. But I don't count on it.

The whiners are not interested in buying a first class Apple product, they are only interested in whining about it.

My only worry is that Apple postpones the iPhone 4 launch in Europe (more specific in Holland).

We don't have a tradition of whining over here and will buy the iPhone 4 as soon as possible.

I'm especially pleased that the wifi reception seems to be improved (especially when holding it tightly), and that's a real plus considering I'm 99,999999% of the time in a wifi zone.
  • Reply 155 of 240
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Never like loud and bad mouth talk shows. A waste of time. The host never shows any respect and at best only knows surface stuff. Only yabba yabba nothing good but garbage! Just pity the audience as though they are in a garbage dump.
  • Reply 156 of 240
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    A press release is a press release. Apple wouldn't call one if they didn't have something important to say. It also may mean that the resolutions to the iPhone 4's problems are still in progress or they could announce that corrected phones will be shipping soon or on a particular date.
  • Reply 157 of 240
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjnjn View Post

Maybe the irrational iPhone4 whining is over after the meeting. But I don't count on it.

The whiners are not interested in buying a first class Apple product, they are only interested in whining about it.

My only worry is that Apple postpones the iPhone 4 launch in Europe (more specific in Holland).

We don't have a tradition of whining over here and will buy the iPhone 4 as soon as possible.

I'm especially pleased that the wifi reception seems to be improved (especially when holding it tightly), and that's a real plus considering I'm 99,999999% of the time in a wifi zone.

How do you know that the complaints are irrational? Just wondering \
  • Reply 158 of 240
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    We'll see.

So far, Apple's and Steve's (?) comments were the only truly reasonable inputs standing up to the facts in these hard times of mass hysteria.

P.S. Just avoid quoting cheap clowns who challenged CR's probe. With $40B in the pocket much better product audit is for sure available.
  • Reply 159 of 240
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBearDan View Post

I hope they do something, I upgraded the beta 4.1 today and wham, not good.

4.1 did nothing to fix the problem in fact I am really sorry to say I think it made it worse on my phone. Before I had to really squeeze hard to get the results everyone else was having so i did not think it was that big of a deal, now after 4.1, I just hold it slightly and the bars drop like a rock!

lol yes.

Well, the bar reading is more accurate now.

Just avoid holding it in that way.
  • Reply 160 of 240
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Well they had to respond. Meanwhile our iPhone 4s are the best iPhones we've had. Better, faster connection. And this is the experience for most users.

I can make the signal degrade if I really try, but in everyday use, no problems. It's perfect.

So it's perfect for you, so what? No it's not. You might be in a decent signal area. You might be right handed and don't cover the problem spot.