Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Comments

• Reply 161 of 240
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoneNuts View Post

Yup, Apple certainly shot their own foot on this one. It's too bad too, because it's actually a great phone, and all this distracts from all the great things that come next.

Only to trolls like you. iPhone 4 is absolutely PERFECT.
  • Reply 162 of 240
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjnjn View Post

Maybe the irrational iPhone4 whining is over after the meeting. But I don't count on it.

The whiners are not interested in buying a first class Apple product, they are only interested in whining about it.

My only worry is that Apple postpones the iPhone 4 launch in Europe (more specific in Holland).

We don't have a tradition of whining over here and will buy the iPhone 4 as soon as possible.

I'm especially pleased that the wifi reception seems to be improved (especially when holding it tightly), and that's a real plus considering I'm 99,999999% of the time in a wifi zone.

This place depresses me. Apple releases a flawed prduct and IQ levels drop to the floor.
  • Reply 163 of 240
    vince_jtvince_jt Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Only to trolls like you. iPhone 4 is absolutely PERFECT.

Pot calling kettle ....
  • Reply 164 of 240
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm still waiting for ANY evidence indicating that any significant number of people have returned their iPhone.

I realize that you don't like the BMO survey. If you're accusing them of lying, you'd better notify the SEC. Clearly, you don't have any such evidence. In reality, you're just whining because the real world doesn't support your inane whining. But go ahead and produce evidence that people are returning the phone in significant quantities - if you can find any.

I'm still waiting for you to give us details on the mystery survey you keep presenting. You are the one trying to present evidence. It's up to you to prove your point. But I see that you can't prove it. You want to shift the burden of proving your own flawed evidence to someone else. Your evidence is completely useless without details. Evidence without details is the same as NO evidence. So go ahead and keep giving us flawed, mindless, empty charts that prove nothing. Lol. I realize you don't like the truth about the flawed iPhone. But giving us flawed evidence to poorly attempt to prove your point is not the way to do it. Try to find some real evidence next time. And I find it funny you keep using the word whiner, because *you* are one of the biggest whiners on this forum.
  • Reply 165 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla;

Well they had to respond. Meanwhile our iPhone 4s are the best iPhones we've had. Better, faster connection. And this is the experience for most users.

I can make the signal degrade if I really try, but in everyday use, no problems. It's perfect.

Me too
  • Reply 166 of 240
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Well done, Apple. It's all about the "HOLD" thing...
  • Reply 167 of 240
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

In this thread at MacRumors several users are reporting that the bars have changed:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=967698&page=4

This sounds like the purely cosmetic change to bar appearance, not even what people are calling the "cosmetic" change of the values the bars represent, emphasis mine.

Quote:

It looks like the software fix is included. This is just based on the size of the bars while running 4.1 (see picture). If you remember, Apple said they would increase size of lowest bars, to be easier read, when instituting the fix. I haven't had time to assess anything in regards to signal reliability, but I'll let you know.

which may have already been a change intended for 4.1. I still don't see why anyone thinks this 4.1 beta includes changes related to antenna/signal issues referred to in the letter. And this article at macrumors would seem to indicate that 4.0.1 will be the update referenced in the letter:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/15/...eleased-today/
  • Reply 168 of 240
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    OMG! What a bunch of whiners the human race has become. Return. The. Damn. Phone. Or STFU.

I got myself Honda Fit recently. In my research I found that that road debris can find its way past the lower grill, strike The AC condenser, and damage it. A few people reported needing to replace their condensers at very low mileage to the tune of $800. Honda has not acknowledged the problem, has not offered any fix, and are not redesigning the grill. Nowhere in car mags do you read about this and the car is constantly rated near the very top of any review.

Well, the Fit is one bitchin' car and I don't want another so I bought it anyway. I got myself some gutter guard mesh and spent 2 hours installing it behind the grill with zip ties. I love this car and I am not going to let a little thing spoil the fun. After about 10 years, I will most likely buy another Honda because, I am a fanboy. Just like Apple, I have found that they make products superior to the competition. Expecting perfection is a losing proposition and leads to misery.
  • Reply 169 of 240
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimcord View Post

"you are just holding your phone wrong"

The sjobs comment was "just don't hold it that way then" not you are just holding your phone wrong. Followed by emails explaining why blocking the antenna affects the signal.

"Sure there are - every phone has these areas of sensitivity, depending on the location of the antenna. Some phones even ship with labels warning customers to not cover certain areas with their hands."

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases"

These comments are much different than a snide "you are just holding your phone wrong". Perhaps people are becoming more offended by the Steve Jobs comments because people keep saying he replied with a simple "you are just holding your phone wrong". A statement which is not factual.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-4...news-7218.html
  • Reply 170 of 240
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

This place depresses me. Apple releases a flawed prduct and IQ levels drop to the floor.

It depresses You? Really?

I've got a notion that You enjoy the derogative, plump, personal attacks.

Reviewing Your posts I didn't see any indication of superior intellect.

At least You didn't ad neither something new or profound nor did Your posts raise the level of this discussion.
  • Reply 171 of 240
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I got myself Honda Fit recently. In my research I found that that road debris can find its way past the lower grill, strike The AC condenser, and damage it. A few people reported needing to replace their condensers at very low mileage to the tune of $800. Honda has not acknowledged the problem, has not offered any fix, and are not redesigning the grill. Nowhere in car mags do you read about this and the car is constantly rated near the very top of any review.

Hmm, so you are comparing a cosmetic issue reported by a few people to a widely reported issue (reception) that is a main integral part of a product. Hmmm. I can easily compare all the auto recalls that have happened recently to the lack of one from Apple ?
  • Reply 172 of 240
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Wow...this whole episode proves that there are some really dumb asses in this country.The iPhone 4 is the best cell phone/personal media device EVER created and it is getting trashed by a bunch of tards who cant for the life of them figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone!

Man there are some stupid people out there.

I wouldn't be too harsh on them. It it's probably just an educational thing. Still I hope for them, that they are not going to loose their minds about the matter. It's just an antenna with it's pros and cons.
  • Reply 173 of 240
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Pot calling kettle ....

Oh here's another one with 15 posts who thought they'd join in the AI forums this MONTH to troll around and spread some propaganda.
  • Reply 174 of 240
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

I don't think the antenna is the only issue. Hopefully, they'll address the proximity sensor problem as well. And the poor color balance of the screen. And the poor bluetooth functionality - Oh wait, maybe that's also part of the antenna problem.
  • Reply 175 of 240
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Wow...this whole episode proves that there are some really dumb asses in this country.The iPhone 4 is the best cell phone/personal media device EVER created and it is getting trashed by a bunch of tards who cant for the life of them figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone!

Man there are some stupid people out there.

You are right, there are some stupid people out there. One example would be people that think it is normal to have to "figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone".

Of course, you are also right that it is the best smart phone on the market. But to call every that is experiencing this problem a 'tard' only reflects on your own maturity and intelligence. There is a legitimate problem with the phone. Get over yourself. Perhaps you are ok with having to adjust your normal behavior to use the product. Perhaps you would be OK if your toilet required you to keep one foot in the air while shitting. That is you. It doesn't make people that recognize that fact that there is an issue 'dumbasses' or 'tards'.
  • Reply 176 of 240
  • Reply 177 of 240
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    My favorite kind of useless wannabe journalism. An opportunity to repeat my favorite Ruud Gullit quote.

"What-if, what-if, what-if?

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle."
  • Reply 178 of 240
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

I think the "average dumb-ass consumers" doesn't appreciate being spoken down to or being given condescending, insulting PR notes. I don't think I reasonable person would accept being told that a perfectly normal way of holding the phone is actually wrong.

Quote:

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

That really comes off as elitist. Seriously, 'superior human beings'? That is taking hero worship of the company a but far, IMO.

And the hockey puck? To a designer, it should have been recognized as shit, without having to hear it from the "average dumb-ass consumers". If it is useless, it is a bad design. Design is about more that aesthetics. Part of why Apple does well, is that the recognize this. Their designs combine great aesthetics with great function. Aside from the touching problem, the iPhone 4 antenna is a good example. Far superior reception and sensitivity and it looks great. The hockey puck was crap, not because the average computer user thought so. It was crap because it was functionally worthless. And it looked like ass too.

Edit to add:

"Design should not dominate things. Not dominate people. It should help people."

—Dieter Rams
  • Reply 179 of 240
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    The press conference that is.

Let's hope Apple "holds" the press conference properly. Else MS or Google or Adobe or Verizon might have to tell them they "held" it wrong.
  • Reply 180 of 240
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Hmm, so you are comparing a cosmetic issue reported by a few people to a widely reported issue (reception) that is a main integral part of a product. Hmmm. I can easily compare all the auto recalls that have happened recently to the lack of one from Apple ?

How is a damaged AC condenser a cosmetic issue? Do you like making cheese in your crotch on a hot day?