Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Comments

• Reply 201 of 240
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

The press conference that is.

Let's hope Apple "holds" the press conference properly. Else MS or Google or Adobe or Verizon might have to tell them they "held" it wrong.

The quote was "just don't hold it that way".
  • Reply 202 of 240
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    July 15 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc.’s senior antenna expert voiced concern to Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs in the early design phase of the iPhone 4 that the antenna design could lead to dropped calls, a person familiar with the matter said.

Last year, Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert, informed Apple’s management the device’s design may cause reception problems, said the person, who is not authorized to speak on Apple’s behalf and asked not to be identified. A carrier partner also raised concerns about the antenna before the device’s June 24 release, according to another person familiar with the situation.

The latest model of the iPhone carries a metal antenna that surrounds the outside of the device -- a design chosen by Apple executives because it yielded a lighter, thinner handset. It has also resulted in reception problems that led Consumer Reports to refrain from endorsing the iPhone 4, weighed on the company’s shares and stepped up pressure on Apple to issue a fix.

Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple, declined to comment and said he wouldn’t make Caballero available for an interview. Caballero didn’t respond to a call and an e-mail seeking comment. Apple plans to hold a press conference tomorrow about the device. Dowling declined to elaborate on what will be discussed.

Apple broke sales records with the iPhone 4, which debuted June 24 in the U.S., the U.K., Japan, France and Germany. The exclusive U.S. carrier is AT&T Inc. Apple’s European partners include Vodafone Group Plc, France Telecom SA and Deutsche Telekom AG. Softbank Corp. carries the iPhone 4 in Japan.

Brand Risk

In the first three days, the company sold 1.7 million devices, the most for any iteration of its top-selling product.

Tests carried out by one of the phone service providers before the device was released also indicated the antenna might cause reception problems, said a person who asked not to be identified because discussions with Apple aren’t public.

Apple, which has built its brand on delivering cool, meticulously crafted designs, may alienate customers as critics continue to point out reception flaws with its device.

Consumer Reports said it isn’t recommending the iPhone 4 following tests confirming the handset has a hardware shortcoming that causes signal quality to degrade. The publication has recommended the three previous iPhone models.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined $3.46 to $249.27 on the Nasdaq Stock Market at 9:39 a.m. New York time. The shares had risen 20 percent this year before today.

The company’s stock fell on July 13 on speculation that the Consumer Reports decision may curtail demand among consumers who are on the fence about whether to buy the iPhone 4. Some blogs and a betting company that tracks odds of events said attention to the shortcoming raises the possibility of a product recall -- a development analysts deemed unlikely.

Stock Impact

“The stock is being impacted by general concerns about the impact this is having to the brand, and the financial impact, and the uncertainty about what Apple will do about this,” said Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Oregon. “A product recall is extremely unlikely.”

Soon after Apple released the iPhone 4 in June, some customers complained about problems losing their signal. Apple last month advised users to buy a case or avoid gripping it in the lower-left corner “in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.”

“Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas,” Apple said.

The company also said that a software error, dating to the June 2007 release of the first iPhone, has resulted in overstated signal strength, leading users to believe they had better reception than they did. Apple said on July 2 that a software fix will be released “within a few weeks.”

Lengthy Design

With the fix, Apple said it’s adopting a new formula to more accurately calculate how many bars to display.

Apple’s industrial design team, led by Jonathan Ive, submitted several iPhone designs before Jobs and other executives settled on the bezel antenna, said the person familiar with the company’s design. Caballero, the antenna expert, voiced concern in early planning meetings that it might lead to dropped calls and presented a serious engineering challenge, the person said.

The metal bezel surrounding the handset would need to be separated in sections to create individual antennas capable of handling particular ranges of the radio frequencies for different wireless networks, the person said. If a user covered one of the seams between the sections, their finger would act as a conductive material, interfering with the signal, the person said. Consumer Reports suggests iPhone 4 users cover the antenna with duct tape to help mitigate reception woes.

Best-Selling Product

Apple has released an updated version of the iPhone each year since the first model made its debut, including the iPhone 3G in 2008, and the speedier iPhone 3GS in 2009. The iPhone was Apple’s biggest moneymaker last quarter, outselling the Macintosh computer and accounting for 40 percent of sales.

Phone design, from concept to production, can take anywhere from six to 10 months, said Jeff Shamblin, chief technology officer of Ethertronics Inc., a San Diego-based antenna manufacturer whose clients include Samsung Electronics Co.

“The phone keeps changing and it does affect antenna performance,” Shamblin said. “The antenna engineer needs to go back and redesign and retest several times.”

Tests are also conducted by carriers, which help identify potential problems, he said. The Federal Communications Commission also examines the phone, though its review is typically limited to checking whether the phone functions within the allocated frequency bands. The FCC also checks to make sure the phone doesn’t interfere with other devices.

Challenging Test Process

As phones and smartphones have become more complex, the testing process has become challenging, Shamblin said. In years past, engineers conducted tests on phones held against a person’s head, he said. “Now, you have to test against a cell phone sitting on a desk, in a user’s lap, being used on speakerphone while operated with two hands,” he said.

Apple increased that difficulty by innovating on the antenna design. “There’s always risk when you develop a new antenna technology,” he said.

Consumer Reports tested the iPhone and other phones offered by Dallas-based AT&T in an isolation chamber with a device that simulates a carrier’s cell towers.

“None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4,” the organization said. “The tests also indicate that AT&T’s network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4’s much-reported signal woes.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...cut-calls.html
  • Reply 203 of 240
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I have no doubt Apple will remain exceedingly profitable while their products continue to sell regardless of their flaws.

It is the change of attitude from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design, and the lack of a strong challenger that worries me. And unfortunately, the overall handling of this saga has been subpar compared to previous incidents like the original iPhone price drop.

It's the Dark Knight syndrome. "Live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Well I have to agree, somewhat, with the theory that Apple's attitude changed "from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design".

However this attitude changed in 1978 with the release of the Apple ][ (the Apple I was a motherboard computer).

For example:

--the very first Apple ][s did not have slots in the sides to allow heat to escape

-- Steve Jobs would never allow Apple to include a [noisy] fan inside the case

-- Woz prided himself in using the fewest number of chips on a circuit board and placing them in such a way that they, and the solder traces, presented an aesthetically pleasing design.

Over the years Apple has tried to:

-- minimize cable clutter

-- eliminate power bricks, where possible

-- use all-in-one design to eliminate multiple boxes on the desktop

-- use form [design] to maximize utility with the first iBook clamshell computer

And then, there is the iPhone: the first: Cell Phone; Music Player; Web Surfer-- that was minimalist, utilitarian, easy-to-use, attractive, reliable, that you could "put in your pocket".

By some measures, Apple has changed the "tech" world at least 3 times (you pick 'em):

-- the original Apple ][

-- the Mac

-- the iPod

-- the iPhone

-- the iPad

A significant part of all these devices was that they had a balance of "design and utility" that made them useful and appealing to potential customers... to the degree that they could change the "tech world".

So, yeah. Apple's attitude did change-- 32 years ago. And it seems to have served them pretty wel l over all those years.

• Reply 204 of 240
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    What a disaster this has become. Again, I'm so glad I returned my iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago. I can now sit back and watch it all unfold.

I feel bad for Apple, but it also sucks for me because I really wanted to like the new iPhone. I finally thought that the iPhone 4 was the upgrade I've been waiting for (from my iPhone 3G) and I was truly disappointed that they've actually made a worse phone this time.

I'm a huge Apple supporter and all I've ever owned are Macs and iPods/iPhones but I can't support them on this one.
  • Reply 205 of 240
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.

Is it going to stop dropped calls or simply give false bars???
  • Reply 206 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't see them giving away Bumpers, but I can see them offering a store credit. They did that with the original iPhone for $100 when they had no obligation to appease anyone. It was all "dramage" control.

Hopefully we'll get some real technical answers out of the press release.

HeHe: "dramage" control... good one!

Well, many here have been saying: "give Apple a chance" to perform (or somesuch).

I think that time is approaching!

It will be interesting to see if they can satisfy: buyers with legitimate problems, shareholders and the press; while keeping politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay. (I see where Sen Schumer has already inserted himself into the fray).

My money is on AAPL, that Apple will do the right thing!

• Reply 207 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

actually that's a pretty good idea!

Except you wouldn't be able to make phone calls while:

-- close dancing

-- wrestling

-- other "close contact" activities

... "Whatcha doing?"

• Reply 208 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Sure I've had trouble. But, i'm still on the first gen iphone, so i'm not complaining. it served me well, for 3 years, (well maybe not the SAME phone, but 3 just like it). I'm waiting for the white one since I didn't get a choice of colors the first time and pocket lint looks so tacky on a black iPhone.

I'm trying to make light of the situation here. It seems that some people have issues. Issues with their phones and issues with their temper. They're not the first ones to have Apple products that don't work as advertised. For the most part, Apple fixes the problem if there is one, eventually. There are a lot of people who post here who know what I'm talking about. Whether it was a Powerbook titanium that the paint peeled off, or a first gen G5 Mac Pro with a leaking cpu cooler, or any, ANY version of the iMac flatscreen (not the lamp one, that one was ok). They all have had some issue and usually been taken care of. Remember the first iPhone fiasco? I got a $99 giftcard out of it and a lot of people had issues with their giftcards. I take all of these in stride since life is too short to have a stroke over this crap.

So to answer your question, it was a joke. A joke to see what does Apple do to try to calm these people who have had such a horrible thing done to them that they should seek a support group.

/SARCASM

Ahh.... sanity!

• Reply 209 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I

And the hockey puck? To a designer, it should have been recognized as shit, without having to hear it from the "average dumb-ass consumers". If it is useless, it is a bad design. Design is about more that aesthetics. Part of why Apple does well, is that the recognize this. Their designs combine great aesthetics with great function. Aside from the touching problem, the iPhone 4 antenna is a good example. Far superior reception and sensitivity and it looks great. The hockey puck was crap, not because the average computer user thought so. It was crap because it was functionally worthless. And it looked like ass too.

Edit to add:

"Design should not dominate things. Not dominate people. It should help people."

?Dieter Rams

Yes! Bauhaus: Form follows function!

• Reply 210 of 240
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Stock Impact

?The stock is being impacted by general concerns about the impact this is having to the brand, and the financial impact, and the uncertainty about what Apple will do about this,? said Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Oregon.

That's a lot of impact!

Now that everyone knows the phone has problems, people who own them will be ashamed to let others know they bought one. Instead of showing off their new gadget, they will buy a case to hide it. In fact someone should make those cases that Apple was using to disguise the prototypes as a 3GS.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 211 of 240
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

HeHe: "dramage" control... good one!

Well, many here have been saying: "give Apple a chance" to perform (or somesuch).

I think that time is approaching!

It will be interesting to see if they can satisfy: buyers with legitimate problem, shareholders and the press; while keeping politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay. (I see where Sen Schumer has already inserted himself into the fray).

My money is on AAPL, that Apple will do the right thing!

EXACTLY!

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!
  • Reply 212 of 240
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Really, you are a marketer's wet dream. Imagine a consumer who will ignore all faults, as long as you can make them love your product. This is specifically, why some companies push so hard to become 'lifestyle brands'. Few have been successful. Some have been very successful. VW and Honda are both lifestyle brands in the auto industry. Sony used to be in the CE market, but has been replaced by Apple. Previously, Apple was the lifestyle brand for computers. You are buying more that the product and more than the brand.

Buying into the while lifestyle brand is fine. I have been a long time Apple user. I have two Hondas in my driveway (used to be a VW guy). I get the whole brand connection thing. You are right. if you don't like something, don't buy it. If you know of a problem that is too much of a problem for you, then don't buy it. The upside for a lifestyle brand is that their customers are so much more likely to ignore problems in order to buy from that brand.

But, one thing to keep in mind before you tell everyone discussing this issue to just STFU: not everyone is willing to fix the product for the company (as you did with your zip ties). Some still want to buy the product but want the company to fix the problem or even acknowledge it.

You are WAAAY off base here. Let's look at the facts. Take this Honda Fit. My 1991 Accord (still running great thank you) informs me as to what sort of priorities Honda puts into their cars. I also test drove many, many new cars before I bought the Fit. I knew about this AC issue and a few other nitpicks before I put my money down and it did not concern me.

I made a decision based ON MY OWN SELF-INTERESTS. I get a reasonably priced car that will last 200K+ miles with proper maintenance, get 40+ real world highway miles to the gallon, and hold me, my passengers and all our stuff with room to spare...plus it's a blast to drive. I could not find any other car in its price range that even held a candle to it (my opinion). So I had to put in $3 worth of parts and 2 hours of my time to fix a bug in the design. Cosmetically, there is no issue as the zip ties cannot be seen from the outside. Do you find something irrational about my decision? You would rather I look for the non-existent perfect car instead?

Now if you are asking would I prefer Honda fix this, yes, I would. But if they don't, I have a choice and that choice is to buy another car and accept that car's flaws. People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

If I was Jobs, my press conference would just say..."we extend the return period to 60 days from your purchase date, thank you and good night." I'd like to see how many of the whiners are willing to return their iphones. Plus, more refurbished iphones for the rest of us.
  • Reply 213 of 240
    S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.

(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)
  • Reply 214 of 240
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

You are WAAAY off base here. Let's look at the facts. Take this Honda Fit. My 1991 Accord (still running great thank you) informs me as to what sort of priorities Honda puts into their cars. I also test drove many, many new cars before I bought the Fit. I knew about this AC issue and a few other nitpicks before I put my money down and it did not concern me.

I made a decision based ON MY OWN SELF-INTERESTS. I get a reasonably priced car that will last 200K+ miles with proper maintenance, get 40+ real world highway miles to the gallon, and hold me, my passengers and all our stuff with room to spare...plus it's a blast to drive. I could not find any other car in its price range that even held a candle to it (my opinion). So I had to put in $3 worth of parts and 2 hours of my time to fix a bug in the design. Cosmetically, there is no issue as the zip ties cannot be seen from the outside. Do you find something irrational about my decision? You would rather I look for the non-existent perfect car instead?

Now if you are asking would I prefer Honda fix this, yes, I would. But if they don't, I have a choice and that choice is to buy another car and accept that car's flaws. People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

If I was Jobs, my press conference would just say..."we extend the return period to 60 days from your purchase date, thank you and good night." I'd like to see how many of the whiners are willing to return their iphones. Plus, more refurbished iphones for the rest of us.

Hear, hear!!!
  • Reply 215 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.

(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Hear, hear!!!

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:

-- i deserve everything I want

-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)

-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter

-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything

-- it should adapt itself to my needs

-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything

-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.

As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.

But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

• Reply 216 of 240
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:

-- i deserve everything I want

-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)

-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter

-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything

-- it should adapt itself to my needs

-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything

-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.

As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.

But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

Hard to see it as an unjustified feeling of 'entitlement', to feel entitled to what you paid for, i.e. a working phone.

As an aside, are you now a motivational speaker? Many of your posts have the same sort of 'a problem isn't a problem, it is an opportunity', Tony Robbins sort of vibe to them.
  • Reply 217 of 240
    Quote:

Hard to see it as an unjustified feeling of 'entitlement', to feel entitled to what you paid for, i.e. a working phone.

As an aside, are you now a motivational speaker? Many of your posts have the same sort of 'a problem isn't a problem, it is an opportunity' sort of ring to them.

You certainly are entitled to what you paid for.

Sometimes, there are serious defects that can only be resolved by replacement or refund and the option to buy a different product.

Sometimes, there are defects that can be mitigated by making an adjustment in the way you use them or otherwise compensate for the defect. In this case, you still should be offered the replace/return option as above... if not, that would be the last product I would buy from that company. What you do should be your decision-- but you should have the choice.

If you expect that every product you buy will be without defects, I think that is unrealistic. IMO, what is important is that you can live with it or replace/return it and move on.

Ha! Motivational speaker-- I think not. Rather, I am a 70-year-old, who when younger, demanded that everything be perfect. I've mellowed over the years, adjusted to married life, learned to compromise the unimportant things and preserve my core principles.

At age 35, likely, I would be demanding that Apple make this "fantastic" $800 device perfect, on principle (even though I bought a case to protect it from breakage, that resolves the problem).

At, age 70, with 3 grandchildren (ages 7, 11, 14) I am willing to do whatever it takes to make it through the week... And to enjoy the iP4 for what it is, rather than for what it isn't!

As to problems being, or not being, problems.

Certainly, a problem is a problem-- no argument there.

But a problem can also be an opportunity-- if you look closely enough.

Sadly, most of us (especially me) accept the problem as: That's the way it is-- nothing can be done about it!". So, all that's left for us is to "mitch and bone" about it.

Others, exceptional people, look for opportunities in problems. Some notables: Alexander, Edison, Eisenhower, Iococca, Uberoth, and, yes Steve jobs.

Seriously, what would it be worth to Apple, Steve Jobs, and his legacy if he could take this negative feeding frenzy into a positive demonstration of the way Apple stands behind its products and the way it treats and supports its costumers.

• Reply 218 of 240
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.
  • Reply 219 of 240
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    My prediction:

1. You will be allowed to get one free bumper (not a whole set)

2. You can bring your phone into an apple store and they will coat the metal with a sealant that is non-conductive (but transparent)

Also:

Maybe AT&T has taken some unnecessary knocks about their network?
  • Reply 220 of 240
    Quote:

maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.

Mmmm... This could be true-- It's the way Apple likes to address problems-- with a solution rather than an admission.

That could fix or reduce the antenna shorting issue. But there, apparently, are still 2 more issues: the proximity detector; the dropping calls (3G - 2G handoff).

I don't know anything about the proximity detector issue, but I believe the 3G/2G handoff issue is a software/driver issue that can be resolved with an iOS 4 update.

So, maybe a combo hardware software fix!