US Sen. Schumer writes letter to Apple CEO over iPhone 4 antenna

Comments

• Reply 41 of 197
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, this is exactly a Senator's job: to look after the interests of constituents.

You don't think this particular issue falls far short of the mark, in terms of interests that he should be looking after? It smacks more of someone trying to get in on some of the attention being generated here.
  • Reply 42 of 197
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Should he write letters on behalf of stilted lovers in his constituency too?

Dear Laura,

Jon really misses you. The way you treated him was unfair, as he has a lot of stress with work and everything. He is really sorry, and I'm not going to rest until I hear an apology. Together, we can get through this!

Sincerely,

None of my fucking business.

• Reply 43 of 197
    atlbucatlbuc Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I think the anger with this guy is not that it's not his place to be posturing over the iPhone 4 (maybe he actually has one), but that there are so many other things that require more urgent attention.

Of course, making progress on the War on Terror, the financial crisis, or the oil spill require him to work with his colleagues so there could be bottlenecks in what he can actually do, most internet trolls don't realize this. Short of enlisting in the army, starting his own small business, or going down to Louisiana and actually doing the dirty work himself, there's not much any single Senator can do on any of these fronts.

And you think in the time it took to write this letter all those things would be fixed. Politicians have lives outside their jobs and this letter could have been written on his on time. Even if he did write it on the clock there is nothing wrong with it.
  • Reply 44 of 197
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    That's nice, Mr. Senator. Now please get back to balancing the budget.

Let AAPL shareholders deal with Apple Inc.

Thank you.
  • Reply 45 of 197
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's not a private letter from an individual to a company. It's an official letter,

Actually, it does not look like an official letter. Can't find it on his website (schumer.senate.gov) and it was not signed 'Senator' nor did it mention anything about his being a politician.

Likely just someone "important" pushing the issue.
  • Reply 46 of 197
    Smart move to write a letter the day before Apple addresses the issue. Makes the Senator look like Apple are responding to his intervention. Politicians eh? There is no stoop so low when it comes to getting themselves in the news.
  • Reply 47 of 197
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    As far as I can tell, this antenna thing just isn't that big of a deal--if your hand is pressed against the gap between the antennas, the reception decreases? Isn't something like a crappy UI a much bigger defect? Or an OS that is vulnerable to viruses and subject to crashing? I have a Blackberry from a few years ago, and the browser is basically unusable no matter how I hold the damn thing, although I'm sure it was billed as having a usable browser. I think most people would agree that the iPhone is a great product, in terms of sophistication and polish, certainly better than most of the junk on the market. As a New Yorker, I can assure you that there are more pressing issues out there than the iPhone 4 antenna.
  • Reply 48 of 197
    Chuck Schumer, Schumuck Chumer. It does not matter. This is now at the TARFU (Things Are Really Fucked Up) level. Bad press in this case is not good press at all for Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 197
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Someone show me the Senator's recent letter to BP. He's clearly working on the important issues.

• Reply 50 of 197
    Dear Sen. Schumer,

Given all of the critical problems that this country is currently facing (high unemployment, record deficits, housing crisis, security threats from abroad, government over regulation, etc etc), please focus on solving those problems that your were presumably elected to do.

Leave all the private sector "problems" to the private sector. The free market will decide if the iPhone 4 will succeed or not. Leave capitalism alone.....just get out of our way.

Sincerely,

America
  • Reply 51 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

This is NOT going away.

Apple is getting a bundle of negative press and now that they are fairly large, ie msft, this issue will be pressed until either a recall or free bumper until rev 2 resolves these issues.

That is exactly right. Most people posting here don't get it. They can call people all the names they want -- and perhaps Schumer deserves it -- but that is simply braying in the wind.

Apple will have to do a major mea cupla on this one, as I've been saying from Day 1.

What Winston Churchill said about the US is also true of Apple, when he said (I am paraphrasing) "America will always do the right thing. After all the other avenues have been exhausted."
  • Reply 52 of 197
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Dear Mr. Schumer,

Get a f*cking life.

Thanks

Likely, you're one of those who criticizes Congress for not doing their jobs. Well, one of their jobs is to represent the people and work in their interest, so that's what Mr. Schumer is doing here. And then you criticize him for doing it. How about you STFU?
  • Reply 53 of 197
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Should he write letters on behalf of stilted lovers in his constituency too?

Stilted lovers???

Does this mean lovers who walk around on devices that extend their height? So perhaps these lovers are also professional dry-wallers? Sounds like a lost time accident just waiting to happen. Or perhaps these lovers are really, really shy and can't express their feelings aloud?

Enquiring minds want to know!

;-)
  • Reply 54 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That's nice, Mr. Senator. Now please get back to balancing the budget.

Let AAPL shareholders deal with Apple Inc.

Thank you.

It's not clear to me what recourse Apple shareholders have, other than to sell. I wrote to Apple Investor Relations requesting the email addresses for the lead directors to express my concerns as a shareholder.

The response? Zip. Zero. Nada. Nothing. Silence.
  • Reply 55 of 197
    87vert87vert Posts: 8member
    But Chuck if Apple gives away the bumpers for free then how are you going to get my tax money for purchasing a bumper.
  • Reply 56 of 197
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Dear Sen. Schumer,

Given all of the critical problems that this country is currently facing (high unemployment, record deficits, housing crisis, security threats from abroad, government over regulation, etc etc), please focus on solving those problems that your were presumably elected to do.

Leave all the private sector "problems" to the private sector. The free market will decide if the iPhone 4 will succeed or not. Leave capitalism alone.....just get out of our way.

Sincerely,

America

Dear noexpectations:

How is BP's "private sector problem" being worked out by the private sector? All you non-government types do a 180 and criticize the government for not responding the second the private sector fails to work out its own problems. Make up your f---ing mind.

Sincerely,

Thinking Americans
  • Reply 57 of 197
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    This is the same jack ass who raked Toyota over the coals about the Prius.

Guess what the DOT found in their report.....USER ERROR.
  • Reply 58 of 197
    I'm sure the letter to HTC over the Evo 4G's awful battery life and HTCs recommended fix ("just turn 4G off") is lost in the mail.
  • Reply 59 of 197
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I believe it's a government regulation that forces phone makers to put the antenna in the bottom of the phone in the first place.

If Steve replied quoting this reg. it would be one red-faced senator.
  • Reply 60 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Dear noexpectations:

How is BP's "private sector problem" being worked out by the private sector? All you non-government types do a 180 and criticize the government for not responding the second the private sector fails to work out its own problems. Make up your f---ing mind.

Sincerely,

Thinking Americans

Answer: Litigation (for those that were impacted) and choosing to spend our money elsewhere (a company is only as large as its balance sheet).

And what has the government done to fix BP's problem? Attempt to shut down an entire industry so that we can rely on even more foreign oil? Nice.......real nice. I suppose we should close all the automotive plants because there was a car crash today.