US Sen. Schumer writes letter to Apple CEO over iPhone 4 antenna

Comments

• Reply 141 of 197
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlBuc View Post

Uhhh no the definitely have an obligation to fix this. Telling consumers to hold your phone a different way is unacceptable. Even more unacceptable is saying there isn't an issue then trying to issue a software fix to deflect what is really going on.

Responding to a different issues (Bars incorrectly displayed), is not the same as saying this issue does not exist.
  • Reply 142 of 197
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

Q: Who stands to gain most from bad iPhone press?

A: Google Android

Q: How do you get the media to write even more about a consumer product issue?

A: Have a prominent government official complain in public about it.

Q: Why would a NY Senator do Google's bidding?

A: Follow the money

Campaign Contributions by Google PAC to Schumer:

2009-2010: $4900

2007-2008: $1000

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...ycle=2009-2010

And CEO Schmidt gave Schumer the max: $2400 in the general and $2400 in the primary this year.

http://www.newsmeat.com/ceo_politica...ic_Schmidt.php

Who knows what other Google money has flowed into Schumer's pockets.

So yes, Google can buy a few minutes of a Senator's time to pay for more bad press for a competitor at a crucial moment. The favor was called in.

You've defined a motive, we know the weapon, but we don't have any proof that Google did anything of the sort of calling in such a favor. I think it's quite possible, but we don't know it to a degree that it's been proven, it's an accusation.
  • Reply 143 of 197
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Someone needs to explain to this idiot that "senator' doesn't mean 'God-emperor".

That's not the idiot that needs explaining to... it's the voters in his district and the voters in your district and the voters in my district that need to be told, "You don't have to vote for the same old piece of sh*t over and over again!" And if "Senior" Senators or Congressmen are so valued for their intelligence and wisdom, then why is our country so screwed up?!

There is not a politician today or very few at least that would serve one or two terms in the Senate, or since shorter, three or four terms in the House and the JUST LEAVE, go back to where they came from and go along with the rest of their life.

There are only three ways to get those pricks out of Washington:

1) If us pricks vote them out by electing their competitor.

2) Demanding legislation be passed into law mandating Term Limits

3) Making serving a non profit venture, yeah let's see how long they will stay when they are told that there is no retirement pension, no paid vacation, no per diem allowances, no health care, much, much tighter control on audits of what monies these guys do get not only from running election campaigns but what they are alloted by the government once into office and no other perks, like being buried in Arlington... Buy your own damn burial plot! Don't f*ck'n stick me and everyone else with the bill to get rid of your stinkin' carcass!

/

/

/

/
  • Reply 144 of 197
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Funny. I don't see the big deal with him writing this letter. It's not like it takes a long time to write this.

I happen to like Schumer, but if Apple isn't violating any governmental regulations, he shouldn't have gotten involved. There are certainly much more onerous failures in the marketplace in which safety or monopoly is involved that should be commanding his attention.

As I see it, even if Apple is totally in the wrong, if it's not violating any laws or consumer protection regulations, it's a private matter between consumers and Apple.
  • Reply 145 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Frankly, I suspect he knows a lot more about what is going on related to this issue than most of the people here do about how a Senator's office works, or our government in general, for that matter.

Very True!
  • Reply 146 of 197
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

Sorry, a Senator's job is not to write letter's to companies about they're, potentially, faulty products. The ONLY reason he's doing it is for the PR facetime (no pun intented ) And no, I'm not a Republican.

I will point out that

a)Apple is the biggest (by value) tech company in the country,and the iphone is pretty integral to its current worth

and

b)Schumer represents NY, which coincidently has what city? Oh yeah, NYC, which has what in it? oh yeah, the NYSE!

/yes, I'm from NY btw, and I generally like Schumer and think he's got a better handle on tech than most senators.
  • Reply 147 of 197
    -hh-hh Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Even though this antenna thing pisses me off, Schumer needs to STFU.

IMO, Schumer will figure out a way to have his Sunday press conference even after he's dead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

What's wrong with the Senator doing his job? Politicians are there to represent us on a very wide range of fronts that are of concern to the community. Though it's pretty unprecedented for a politician to give a crap about a single phone, I think it shows that Schumer has his finger on the pulse of what's annoying constituents. He ought be commended for gently encouraging Apple to make its phone deliver everything that users expected.

An understandable approach if you're personally not in the New York City TV market, and have to hear Schumer yammer on about something (usually lame) just in order for him to get his free air time for himself ... every #(*$# blessed week on the Sunday night news.

The joke in our household is that we know that the weekend's over when we see Schumer on TV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillman View Post

Smart move to write a letter the day before Apple addresses the issue. Makes the Senator look like Apple are responding to his intervention. Politicians eh? There is no stoop so low when it comes to getting themselves in the news.

This perfectly fits Schumer's MO of his Sunday night TV News airtime - - - he will claim credit for whatever Apple announces tomorrow, based on him "asking" the day before. The fact that Apple had announced the Friday press conference before he asked isn't relevant to Schumer's blantantly self-serving agenda.

I'll have to actually pay attention this next week to Schumer's Sunday Night BSfest & report back.

-hh
  • Reply 148 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

So a senator agrees and backs up the majority of people's opinions and frustrations with the new iPhone, and decides to use his power and status to help the people who elected him, and you're all complaining. Good grief.

Majority? Could you provide your sources that show a million dissatisfied iPhone 4 owners?
  • Reply 149 of 197
    hatchethatchet Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You've defined a motive, we know the weapon, but we don't have any proof that Google did anything of the sort of calling in such a favor. I think it's quite possible, but we don't know it to a degree that it's been proven, it's an accusation.

Yes. It's just a theory, not so much an accusation. Even if my theory were true, it wouldn't be provable because it's not like Schmidt would get on the phone with Schumer. Instead, the idea probably came out of Google's PR department and they called Schumer's aides and said, "hey, we chipped in, can you help out?" And some aide went to Schumer and said, "Hey sign off on this letter. There is little political fall out and we can help an ally."

And I am not saying any of this is illegal. Or even immoral. But it is probable :-)
  • Reply 150 of 197
    johncmgjohncmg Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Seriously, do you really think he just woke up this morning and decided, "Hey, I'm going to write a letter to Apple about this iPhone antenna thing."

Yes because he is a media whore

Yes because if you look at his past work... not Google it cause all you get are other's opinions try to used the thomas.loc.gov site for all of your senator's work.

Yes because Job's stated a week ago to stay tune for a fix. If the fix was just software then why have a conference? iPhone developers already have the software fix in hand. Sure they have an NDA but it has ever stopped information from leaking.
  • Reply 151 of 197
    johncmgjohncmg Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, there is some serious anger going on in this thread. It is just a phone.

Quite true it is just a phone. In fact a phone with a return policy that hasn't expired. One that is still in demand. I am still waiting to get mine.

THe anger on this thread is towards a do-nothing Senator that has spent more time in 2009 and 2010 putting in bills/resolutions to honor various individuals than he has towards the top issues affecting this country. Look it up [thomas.loc.gov]

Sure I'm ok with honoring George Steinbrenner but I would let that one slide over repairing the NYS economy or child-care for working mothers or feeding the hungry... Pick any because one thing this state is not lacking is issues. Issues more important that the iPhone 4. There are more homeless in NYS than people who purchased the iPhone 4!
  • Reply 152 of 197
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    next time i have an issue with microsoft software or one of the other crap computer hardware companies, i'm writing a letter to this bozo and ask that he write a letter to said company for the crap product they put out.

in fact, why doesn't everyone do this? what a turd. clearly, he's not busy enough.
  • Reply 153 of 197
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I guess someone is up for re-election and wants the iPhone user's vote.
  • Reply 154 of 197
    djkrelldjkrell Posts: 2member
    I just thank God we have Senators like Mr. Schumer who are looking out for the little stupid guy like me every day. Where would we be without him. I think I'll call his office and ask him to help me with how to operate this iPhone thing anyway. I betcha he'll know and will be happy to help. Love you Chuck.
  • Reply 155 of 197
    natego1natego1 Posts: 4member
    Quote:

This is precisely what is wrong with this country. No, not the government. People who think like you do.

Amen. Its all ra-ra America until it doesn't work out in their favor.
  • Reply 156 of 197
    natego1natego1 Posts: 4member
    keep in mind, NYC (schumers home state) is notorious for iPhone reception issues.. this issue has the potential to affect his constituents heavily
  • Reply 157 of 197
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -hh View Post

IMO, Schumer will figure out a way to have his Sunday press conference even after he's dead.

Got a laugh from me, thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -hh View Post

- - - he will claim credit for whatever Apple announces tomorrow, based on him "asking" the day before. The fact that Apple had announced the Friday press conference before he asked isn't relevant to Schumer's blantantly self-serving agenda.

I'll have to actually pay attention this next week to Schumer's Sunday Night BSfest & report back.

-hh

Thanks for that, it sounds as though it may be a difficult job. (BTW, I assume you'll post to this thread? If not, I suppose I can search for your recent posts.)
  • Reply 158 of 197
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    He's a politician and this is a current issue. Basically he's writing a letter as a public figure to see if he can get Apple to react. If they do, then it's 'votes in his pocket'. If they don't then he can say he tried and it's 'votes in his pocket'.

Smart actually.. Slimey politician smart, but smart.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This confirms my suspicions.

A lot of the hue and cry is Google's (and probably MS's) increasing lobbying dollars at work. Apple needs to get into the lobbying business, otherwise they will never hear the end of the FCC, Congress, etc. (note how the App Store is being investigated for monopolistic practices when it is part of the iPhone which is the 2nd best selling smartphone, which is a very small part of the much much larger phone category. OTOH, Google's purchase of AdMob, the combination of 2 monopolies (web advertising, and mobile advertising) was greenlighted on the basis of competition from a non-existent competitor (iAds at the time)).

This post shouldn't be misconstrued as saying there is no iPhone 4 antenna issue. What I am trying to say is that the issue is not so major (WORST CASE situation involves users spending another $29 and using a bumper) that the FCC and Congress get involved.

• Reply 159 of 197
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

It's quite probable that this letter was prepared for distribution yesterday, before Apple even announced its press conference, so, yes, I think it's entirely coincidental, but that that has nothing to do with whether he and his staff know what's going on. Frankly, I suspect he knows a lot more about what is going on related to this issue than most of the people here do about how a Senator's office works, or our government in general, for that matter.

I'd agree with this assessment. The view here by many that it's just simple opportunism with no real interest or concern or that only the most important issues can be dealt with by the Senator shows considerable ignorance of how things work.
  • Reply 160 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I'd agree with this assessment. The view here by many that it's just simple opportunism with no real interest or concern or that only the most important issues can be dealt with by the Senator shows considerable ignorance of how things work.

Not can be dealt with, should be dealt with. And we clearly know how things work; the problem is that this is how they work.