Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone, 3.2.1 for iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued iOS 4.0.1 for the iPhone, improving the accuracy of the handset's signal display strength. It also released iOS 3.2.1 for the iPad to improve Wi-Fi connectivity issues.

Issued Thursday afternoon, Apple said that iOS 4.0.1 includes just one fix, improving "the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display." It is available for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G.

The iPhone release came a day after Apple released a beta of a different update, iOS 4.1, to developers. That forthcoming update is expected to include a number of fixes that go beyond the reporting of signal strength on the iPhone.

The cosmetic software fix, however, does not address antenna issues that some users have experienced specifically with the iPhone 4 hardware. Apple is expected to reveal its reaction to that issue at a press conference scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific Time on Friday.

There was no indication that iOS 4.0.1 will address the proximity sensor issue that has affected some iPhone 4 owners. The problem can cause the phone's touchscreen to become active while on a call, causing users to accidentally place a call on hold, end the call, or choose another option on the display.

iOS 3.2.1 for the iPad, according to Apple, includes a number of fixes:

Improved Wi-Fi connectivity

Fixed an issue that could prevent copy and paste of single-page PDF attachments in Mail

Addressed an issue that could cause video playback to freeze

Improved reliability of video-out when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter

Added Bing as an option for Safari's search field

While Apple quickly issued an update, as promised, for the iPhone 4 bar issue, the iPad update took more time. Apple had originally revealed that a fix for Wi-Fi issues was forthcoming in May.

A number of users have reported dropped signals and connectivity issues with the iPad when connected to a Wi-Fi wireless network. The IT department at Princeton University said the issue occurred because the iPad would continue to use a network-assigned IP address after it had expired.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    No mention of the proximity sensor? Morons. That's a bigger issue for a lot of people than the antenna.
  • Reply 2 of 140
    9to5 mac says "The free update promises to fix the antenna "death-grip" issue which is supposedly related to a math formula malfunction regarding the the display of the iPhone's service signal bars."

WRONG!!!!! The update DOES NOT say it fixes the antenna issue.
  • Reply 3 of 140
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    No bars is the fix. It's your signal stupid! lol.
  • Reply 4 of 140
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    So is the timing of tomorrow's press release far enough away to say see I told ya so - its fixed. Or maybe so close that they can claim it is fixed but not enough people would have had enough time to test it out - essentially resetting the clock on the problem.

Would be nice if they (meaning Jobs or whoever will lead the press conference) were to say tomorrow something along the lines of - yes there is a manufacturing problem affecting these serial numbers (insert start number) through (insert end number) and a fix is available or perhaps - yes it turns out the conductivity of the exterior material was not as designed (making it a manufacturing process fault not a design fault ya see) and that production line has been updated with new parts and a fix is available - or as a work around for anyone not wanting to part with their phone long enough to get it repaired - here is a bumper case for $5.
  • Reply 5 of 140
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Oh nooos the internet is going to break!
  • Reply 6 of 140
    woofpupwoofpup Posts: 31member
    It's interesting that iTunes reported my iPhone 4's OS was being updated and THEN clearly said the firmware was being updated. The bars would just be a software fix, I imagine; so why the firmware update? Hmm.
  • Reply 7 of 140
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woofpup View Post

It's interesting that iTunes reported my iPhone 4's OS was being updated and THEN clearly said the firmware was being updated. The bars would just be a software fix, I imagine; so why the firmware update? Hmm.

The "software" system for the iOS devices IS considered firmware (at least I think it is).
  • Reply 8 of 140
    Quote:

The firmware is the OS and the OS is the firmware. Same thing, different words.
  • Reply 9 of 140
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Issued Thursday afternoon, Apple said that iOS 4.0.1 includes just one fix, improving "the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display."

gotta love efficiency. one fix. 579.3MB download.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No mention of the proximity sensor? Morons. That's a bigger issue for a lot of people than the antenna.

yeah, it is for me. was talking to a friend this morning, phone to the ear, and the call hung up. for once i suspect it wasn't an at&t dropped call. called them back and about ten seconds after putting the phone up to my ear my peripheral vision caught a flash of light from the phone. looked at the phone to see that it had launched google maps with some address from my contacts, and i haven't used that contact in over a year. guess my fat cheek and the proximity sensor don't mix.
  • Reply 10 of 140
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Now... does anyone still see 5 bars or is that impossible to get now?

I wanna see a screenshot of 5 bars after 4.0.1.

I think the new bar design looks really bad. I wish they would've kept the old design and only changed the values of each bar.
  • Reply 11 of 140
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Duh, firmware/software are both programs. The firmware is stored in a different way (and place) than the rest of the software on the device and typically is non-volatile. In a device that keeps the software (applications) in SRAM it can be confusing since they both persist across launches. Firmware is typically much lower level stuff than your avg application and has access to things that as developers we don't (are not supposed to anyway) access.

IHTH.
  • Reply 12 of 140
    pa77pa77 Posts: 2member
    Does it fix proximity sensor?

Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 140
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I agree. I tend to be relaxed and positive about most things, but the fact that I can't hold the phone to my ear and make a call without always wondering if I muted is nuts. I end up making the issue worse continuously having to check.

I will be a the apple store on Monday for a return if this is not resolved, will revert to 3GS for a few months.
  • Reply 14 of 140
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

yeah, it is for me. was talking to a friend this morning, phone to the ear, and the call hung up. for once i suspect it wasn't an at&t dropped call. called them back and about ten seconds after putting the phone up to my ear my peripheral vision caught a flash of light from the phone. looked at the phone to see that it had launched google maps with some address from my contacts, and i haven't used that contact in over a year. guess my fat cheek and the proximity sensor don't mix.

Maybe just hold your face differently. All these years and we have all been holding our face wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 140
    Over 300MB for this new bar chart....amazing.
  • Reply 16 of 140
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Not much to say really, except I don't think this solves anything. In my experience (unscientific of course) 2 bars vs 5 bars does not make any difference in voice quality (one bar does have some degradation I can hear), which means we are still waiting for free bumpers or some sort of coating that can be applied on the antenna.
  • Reply 17 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Weird. My download is only 378.0MB. I've got a 3GS rather than 4 though, but I'd be very surprised if it was a different OS download.
  • Reply 18 of 140
    Successful download and install.

Tried the "Grip". Three bars went down to one but stayed connected. When released, went back up to three.

I have seen five bars on the phone before the update but I know I am in a low signal strength area and didn't believe the five bars.

Now, watching the iPhone 4, I get one bar with it on a wooden table.

The accuracy of the display has been improved.
  • Reply 19 of 140
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlescarred1 View Post

9to5 mac says "The free update promises to fix the antenna "death-grip" issue which is supposedly related to a math formula malfunction regarding the the display of the iPhone's service signal bars."

WRONG!!!!! The update DOES NOT say it fixes the antenna issue.

Actually, you are wrong yourself.

We'll find out tomorrow if there is any new information but up until today, the only "problem" Apple has admitted to with the iPhone 4 is the signal bar issue, and the only "fix" in the pipe for it that they have mentioned is exactly this update.

So it's actually totally correct to say that this update "fixes" the only known, admitted issue with the iPhone 4 reception (at least as far as Apple is concerned and as far as they have told us).
  • Reply 20 of 140
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Now I have 2 or 3 fat bars whereas I had 5 skinny ones. As long as that improves reception I don't care!