Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone, 3.2.1 for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

gotta love efficiency. one fix. 579.3MB download.

I think you have to d/l the entire OS, no matter how small the adjustment.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does this fix the Safari on iPad page caching problem?
    Quote:

That is pretty ridiculous for a x.x.1 update. It’s going to take me 4 hours to DL this update at this rate, but I’m lucky to have any internet at all so I’m not complaining.

Quote:

guess my fat cheek and the proximity sensor don't mix.

That is my only issue with the iPhone 4.

PS: This recent article by Pogue on Snopes.com reminds me of the idiot mob mentality going on with the iPhone 4. Someone says something unsubstantiated which is then repeated by others until you need some site with actual researchers and critical thinkers to site the record straight, but it’s gotten so out of hand that it’s only good for those seeking truth. Speculation is one thing, making absolute statements without any evidence is nonsense.
  • Reply 23 of 140
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No mention of the proximity sensor? Morons. That's a bigger issue for a lot of people than the antenna.

Yeah, I have the problem too. When holding the phone up to my head, I get:

-- Calls put on Hold

-- Call trying to switch to FaceTime

-- Calls ending suddenly

-- Phone dials another contact while I'm on the line with a person already
  • Reply 24 of 140
    woofpupwoofpup Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Duh, firmware/software are both programs. The firmware is stored in a different way (and place) than the rest of the software on the device and typically is non-volatile. In a device that keeps the software (applications) in SRAM it can be confusing since they both persist across launches. Firmware is typically much lower level stuff than your avg application and has access to things that as developers we don't (are not supposed to anyway) access.

IHTH.

Yeah, and I realize that distinction but since it treated the two updates separately in the process, I was thinking it was referring to the modem/baseband firmware. Apparently, that wasn't the case since the modem firmware is still listed as 01.59.00 after the update. I was wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    pa77pa77 Posts: 2member
    same problem here
  • Reply 26 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

-- Calls put on Hold

-- Calls ending suddenly

It's an intuitive gesture ? hold phone to face activates FaceTime.
  • Reply 27 of 140
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:

yeah, it is for me. was talking to a friend this morning, phone to the ear, and the call hung up. for once i suspect it wasn't an at&t dropped call. called them back and about ten seconds after putting the phone up to my ear my peripheral vision caught a flash of light from the phone. looked at the phone to see that it had launched google maps with some address from my contacts, and i haven't used that contact in over a year. guess my fat cheek and the proximity sensor don't mix.

According to one "genius", it could be wax in your ear! ;-)
  • Reply 28 of 140
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

So is the timing of tomorrow's press release far enough away to say see I told ya so - its fixed. Or maybe so close that they can claim it is fixed but not enough people would have had enough time to test it out - essentially resetting the clock on the problem.

Steve will demonstrate tomorrow on stage that 4.01 fixes the "problem".
  • Reply 29 of 140
    mayermayer Posts: 1member
    if you take photos, transfer them off of the phone to a computer, then erase the photos on the phone, it resets to IMG_0001. This problem began with iOS4 - it was never a problem on iOS3, which remembered the file #. This is really a silly problem that apple could have easily fixed in this update and didn't - basically you can't transfer photos into a single folder without them overwriting the older file.
  • Reply 30 of 140
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does this fix the Safari on iPad page caching problem?

Haven't seen any word on that.
  • Reply 31 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

I think you have to d/l the entire OS, no matter how small the adjustment.

You do, but that is the issue. It?s excessive for what is essentially a miner fix. I understand that it?s considerably more foolproof to do it this way, but I?d like to see x.1 updates be full downloads and x.x1 updates be spot updates, more like Mac OS X, which only update the items that are changed but updates the entire item.
  • Reply 32 of 140
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

-- Calls put on Hold

-- Calls ending suddenly

So don't press it against your face!
  • Reply 33 of 140
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Maybe just hold your face differently. All these years and we have all been holding our face wrong.

[sarcasm starts]

Guess what, all the people that care about their phone, keep it away from sweaty hands, greasy face, linty hair etc, and always use headset. For once, Apple includes that in the box! Now we know the real reason for the inclusion!

[sarcasm ends]
  • Reply 34 of 140
    "Actually, you are wrong yourself. "

The update didn't mention correcting the "bridge/death grip" issue. Perhaps 9to5 should reword?
  • Reply 35 of 140
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Activation server is overloaded. Here we go again.
  • Reply 36 of 140
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I have got into the habit of making a call and pressing home when connected. Therefore the call is minimized to a green bar at the top and I can't hang up or put them on mute. Sad I have to do that, but it works. I haven't hung on anyone because of the sensor, but I think that's because I have a beard.
  • Reply 37 of 140
    OK...I have 4.0.1 on now. From the exact same location in my home, my bars went from 5 to 3.

It is clear to me why this fix was sent by Apple. Apple is attempting to throw AT&T under the bus. Most (dumb) users will now think that their terrible reception is AT&T's fault and not Apple's poor antenna design.

I have other phones in my house, Samsung and Moto, and they still display 5 bars for AT&T.

Sad.
  • Reply 38 of 140
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So anyone that's updated to 4.01 does it fix your proximity sensor issue? Also if anyone has iPhone 4...can a case fix the proximity issue, like it does for the antenna issue?
  • Reply 39 of 140
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Someone says something unsubstantiated which is then repeated by others until you need some site with actual researchers and critical thinkers to site the record straight, but it?s gotten so out of hand that it?s only good for those seeking truth.

Seriously.

But do you think those bloggers will admit that they were all wrong tomorrow? Not a chance.
  • Reply 40 of 140
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

Weird. My download is only 378.0MB. I've got a 3GS rather than 4 though, but I'd be very surprised if it was a different OS download.

The iPhone 4 update is larger because the screen is much higher resolution so all of the graphics are also higher resolution, so the file sizes are bigger. Also, there's the FaceTime software as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Over 300MB for this new bar chart....amazing.

Apple doesn't release the iOS updates in small patches, but rather re-packages the updates in a full OS install. They do this so that you can upgrade from any version (such as upgrading from 2.0 to 4.0.1).

I thought people knew this information by now, but there are probably a lot of new iPhone owners out there this year so... just so you know.