Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 for iPhone, 3.2.1 for iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why should we believe you? You obviously lied when you agreed to the NDA or else you somehow obtained the software in an unapproved manner, so that invalidates your remark in my opinion.

That's a bit rough, the NDA does not restrict this discussion, just new features and API. Could be debated. My main point would be that this does not dis-qualify his observation.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yeah, I have the problem too. When holding the phone up to my head, I get:

-- Calls put on Hold

-- Call trying to switch to FaceTime

-- Calls ending suddenly

-- Phone dials another contact while I'm on the line with a person already

I wonder of any of those experiencing this problem has actually tested it a different way:

1. Make your call.

2. Put it on speaker phone.

3. Lay the phone flat on a table.

4. Put your finger over the sensor to cut out the screen.

5. Watch and see if the screen cuts in and out.

At least this way you could actually see what was going on. I don't have the issue myself, but I tried this and didn't see anything but a blank screen.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Steve will demonstrate tomorrow on stage that 4.01 fixes the "problem".

If he presents this as a solution to the antenna issue, no more problems, and I really hope he doesn't, Apple is trash to me.
  • Reply 84 of 140
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Really??? That's weird. I thought that the proximity sensor issue was pretty much a universal problem. Honestly, I thought this was a software based problem that would pretty much affect all phones rather than a hardware issue. I wonder if maybe I should take in my wife's to see about getting it swapped out? She definitely has problems with the proximity sensor.

Really? Based on what? A few whiner posters on this forum? I, for one don't have the PS problem.

Based on what the guy said maybe you should swap it out. It couldn't hurt.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

Why don't we all wait untill tomorrow and see what they say, we spent alot of money, I'm sure Apple will do the right thing

That's the thing, some of us are "less sure" of Apple than we used to based upon their inept and somewhat insulting responses to the antenna isssue thus far. Tomorrow, if Apple tries to sell today's patch as the resolution to the antenna/dropped calls issue, it would be a major mistake. I hope that doesn't happen.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post

I am not in breach of the NDA. I am commenting on the performance of the phone after the latest update available to developers. I use my developer phone as a normal phone in addition to development activities. In no way did I discuss new apps or features that the update provides. Those are proprietary until Apple releases it publicly.

Actually, Apple's NDA says that you can't discuss the update AT ALL in public. Talking about the performance of the update is a clear violation.

I'd suggest that you read things before signing them.
  • Reply 87 of 140
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

No bars is the fix. It's your signal stupid! lol.

I would agree with this. In my house I was getting full bars when on 3G. Now I know that on all of my other phones I get a marginal 3G signal at best with 2 bars being the norm. Now the iPhone 4 is showing the same as my other phones (nokia, LG and samsung) when used with the same sim from O2-UK.
  • Reply 88 of 140
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    I have a 3G iPhone, so, obviously this update adds nothing for me. The 3G phones are horrible with iOS 4, and it doesn't look like 4.0.1 fixes all the problems 3G phones are having.
  • Reply 89 of 140
    woofpupwoofpup Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

OK...I have 4.0.1 on now. From the exact same location in my home, my bars went from 5 to 3.

It is clear to me why this fix was sent by Apple. Apple is attempting to throw AT&T under the bus. Most (dumb) users will now think that their terrible reception is AT&T's fault and not Apple's poor antenna design.

I have other phones in my house, Samsung and Moto, and they still display 5 bars for AT&T.

Sad.

Uh, except that Apple is now following AT&T's own algorithm for display signal strength according to what was original stated about the now-released update.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

If he presents this as a solution to the antenna issue, no more problems, and I really hope he doesn't, Apple is trash to me.

And so you are here only to trash?
  • Reply 91 of 140
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Woz is now saying that if you can afford it, you should carry around a Verizon phone with your iPhone because of the ass signal that AT&T puts out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

No bars is the fix. It's your signal stupid! lol.

• Reply 92 of 140
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post

i have noticed the proximity sensor has improved significantly on iOS 4.1 beta.

I can attest to that also. It's the first thing I checked. . . I'm not backleveling to 4.01 though.
  • Reply 93 of 140
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    I still have 5 bars after update...
  • Reply 94 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is how it looks now.

Blech, that's what the bars look like now? The old ones looked way better. I understand changing the formula to more accurately show signal strength, which I would like to update to, but why did they have to change the look of the bars? Stupid.

I want to hold off on the update because I like the look of the old bars better, but I suppose my phone is going to look like that eventually, so I might as well update.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Are you serious? You are now criticizing Android for using a "skewed" dB rating that was less "skewed" than Apple's own rating yesterday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is how it looks now. Note in the last pic how Android uses the same dB rating for CDMA and GSM and how skewed it is. Going to 89 dB for 5 bars. The iPhone can be in 3 bars now while Android shows 5 bars, but who cares if other handsets are ?inaccurate? so long as it?s all Apple?s fault¡

• Reply 96 of 140
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Blech, that's what the bars look like now? The old ones looked way better. I understand changing the formula to more accurately show signal strength, which I would like to update to, but why did they have to change the look of the bars? Stupid.

I want to hold off on the update because I like the look of the old bars better, but I suppose my phone is going to look like that eventually, so I might as well update.

Maybe you can jailbreak sometime and change them back to the old bars. It sucks when you're forced to change your phone.

I wish they could simply add an option in the universal access controls to make the bars bigger for people who can't see as well. I liked the older style slope better. This new slope looks fat and curves a bit. It lost it's "exactness" look to it.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

Blech, that's what the bars look like now? The old ones looked way better.

Really? I think the new bars are much easier to read and see.
  • Reply 98 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Are you serious? You are now criticizing Android for using a "skewed" dB rating that was less "skewed" than Apple's own rating yesterday.

Way to read into things!

I'm saying the whole bar representation method is "skewed". Until regulatory boards ? as I've mentioned elsewhere ? mandate what bars can represent then it's all skewed but it can't be neither inaccurate nor accurate so long as a longer bar indicates a higher dB than a short bar and shorter bar indicates less dB than a longer bar.

I'm also saying that beause of the lack of oversight this isn't something specific to Apple or the iPhone, they are just the only one being blamed for it. What argument do you have that Android's measurements are "accurate" (think hard before you answer)?

Personally, I want it to state the current dB or list the best connection available. For instance:
    • No Service

• Voice -or- Voice Only

• GPRS -or- 2G Slow

• EDGE -or- 2G Fast

• HS*PA -or- 3G (with other options depending on the 3G tower speed)

• LTE -or- 4G

But if people want something mostly uninformative and undefined, than something descriptive, then who am I to argue.
  • Reply 99 of 140
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Hmm.. Well xannottoohappy, when you use your iPhone, how much off the time do you actually spend looking at the signal bars?
  • Reply 100 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And so you are here only to trash?

You have a problem with the English language?

Are you here only to attack criticisms?

I think you know the answer to all those questions. Quit playing dumb. Please.