Apple was outbid by HP for Palm acquisition - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple reportedly sought to purchase its smartphone rival Palm earlier this year, but was outbid by PC maker HP, which paid $1.2 billion for the struggling company.

Brilliant! They did the same thing with that ad company: Bid up the price to WAY more than it is worth, and then let your competitor grossly overpay.

It looks like HP isn't any smarter than Google.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

... Oh well, maybe Apple has better ideas for how to spend their cash.

New iPhone design perhaps ?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I'm glad that Apple lost the bidding. It means that there is a chance that HP will create something wonderful. I've read that HP usually screws up acquisitions and products from other companies. I hope this time they let the WebOS guys create something then just build it without screwing it up.

Competition is a good thing, especially when the other company is capable of funding research into new things without worrying too much about funding.

I hope HP doesn't screw it up as well. I think Web OS is as good any mobile platform out there. The issue with Web OS is hardware.The only problem is that many of the talented people that were at Palm are jumping ship.

I enjoy having many different OSs to choose from. It will only push the web towards more standards. I only wish the desktop market had taken the same route instead of just bowing to MS.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Anonymous source again! More idle gossip. /sigh
  • Reply 25 of 42
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I hope HP doesn't screw it up as well. I think Web OS is as good any mobile platform out there. The issue with Web OS is hardware.The only problem is that many of the talented people that were at Palm are jumping ship.

I enjoy having many different OSs to choose from. It will only push the web towards more standards. I only wish the desktop market had taken the same route instead of just bowing to MS.

Yep, I actually used to be very fond of Palm myself. It used to be the leading mobile operating platform (originally PalmOS). Then beeing run over by cheap WinMobile devices. They lost their edge. I wonder what will happen to them at HP's, since HP doesn't have the best reputation anymore either?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Anonymous source again! More idle gossip. /sigh

Finding rumors on a rumors site. I can understand your disappointment!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Motorola needed to buy Palm! They needed the software expertise and a smartphone OS -- now they are splitting up Motorola, so sad. MOT fell way behind into virtual irrelevancy... Everyone is doing Android phones now, so MOT has no real IP to set themselves apart. Maybe HP should buy MOT's cellular phone business?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So Palm was a company that told people how to hold their phone's the "right way", I had no idea there was a patent on that, is that why everyone was annoyed when Job's did it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

Let me guess: Palm had a patent on how to hold a mobile phone in the palm of your hands without a problem?

• Reply 29 of 42
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple has never done anything like that as far as I remember. They acquire companies and close the doors.

That is patently false, proved by current news: the A4 chip inside the iPhone 4 and iPad was the direct result of their acquisition of PA Semi and it's integration into the entire company. iAds were the product of a smaller advertising firm that Apple bought, Quattro Wireless. The entire Darwin family - included OS X, OS X Server, and iOS - came from them sucking in NextStep (which was when Jobs returned to the company).
  • Reply 30 of 42
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Palm would be the iPhone mini Ah what could have been.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    bchangbchang Posts: 5member
    Ipot to Super Palm phone????? I dont think so.http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif
  • Reply 32 of 42
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Apple always loses bids
  • Reply 33 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Apple always loses bids

I'm not sure it would have mattered. Getting approval from the antitrust authorities would have been a challenge.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Now that HP owns palm they should try to make their own OS for their computers instead of using Windows. I've always like HP for some reason, I have always bought their printers and have even said, If I wasn't a Mac user I would probably use HP. They are the only PC company I really respect.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Now that HP owns palm they should try to make their own OS for their computers instead of using Windows. I've always like HP for some reason, I have always bought their printers and have even said, If I wasn't a Mac user I would probably use HP. They are the only PC company I really respect.

Then you don't know the company. Used to make calcs and then they had a shot at other office stuff; and so that lead into 3rd rate computer's with awful reliability and build quality. I've used and owned a few of there computers. You should see there customer support! Seriously go with the high end (the ones that haven't been bought by Dell and HP), that's the place to go if you want any worth while hardware. There is no such thing as a £299 PC.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    If Apple DID buy Palm (though I don't see why. Maybe there's a mad scientist still there from Palm's acquisition of Be, and he's smarter than Einstein and Stephen Hawking combined), would Steve Jobs make the detestable, treacherous Jon Rubinstein walk the plank? I'd like to see their first meeting.

If HP outbid Apple, I'd say to HP, "Take it; it's yours."

It's like those sad situations when people don't pay their rental fees on their storage units, and the company owner uses a lock cutter to open it up, then puts a big sign by the highway saying "Free stuff from delinquent storage container."

Palm amounts to that "Free stuff."

Never hire an engineer as CEO -- they don't mix. Look at Michael Spindler. Gilbert Amelio.

defender
  • Reply 37 of 42
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

Look at Michael Spindler. Gilbert Amelio.

Bill Hewlett. Gordon Moore. Dave Packard.

Shall I go on?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Shall I go on?

Phil Condit. Jack Welch. James Truchard. George Buckley. ...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Seymour Cray, Amar Bose, Andy Grove, Vinod Khosla, Ray Dolby...

Never say "never", defender
  • Reply 40 of 42
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

What makes him a troll?

The fact that he or she only submitted ten posts to your 109?

The fact that he or she registered close to six months before you?

It is you who brought up the word antenna not him? It is Apple's problem that this has gone on to the extent that it has that one can merely say "hold a mobile phone in the palm of your hands without a problem" and have those in the loop know what that means. Does that make them a troll? He has the word "Palm" in his post and you don't and what is the subject about? Palm acquisition!

I don't see troll. I see someone who has the same slapstick comedy mentality that can be found in many a posts I submitted!

Oops, I guess that makes me a troll...

Yea, really. Not only that, but Palm actually has a great deal more experience with cell phone antennas than Apple.