Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 240
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm...

That could fix or reduce the antenna shorting issue. But there, apparently, are still 2 more issues: the proximity detector; the dropping calls (3G - 2G handoff).

I don't know anything about the proximity detector issue, but I believe the 3G/2G handoff issue is a software/driver issue that can be resolved with an iOS 4 update.

So, maybe a combo hardware software fix!

I would expect, if there is a 3G->2G hand off problem, it will be sorted through a software/firmware update. It was the last time they had that problem (iPhone 3G). I personally haven't read of anyone having that issue, unless it might be the cause of the dropped calls once touching the band drops the 3G reception.

The prox sensor issue is a bit puzzling to me personally. I have the 3G. Since updating to iOS 4, I have had the problem, of my face dialing another number while I am talking, 2 or 3 times. I only read about it affecting iPhone 4 users, but my own experience makes me think it is software problem and can be corrected via software.
  • Reply 222 of 240
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:

-- i deserve everything I want

-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)

-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter

-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything

-- it should adapt itself to my needs

-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything

-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.

As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.

But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

Pragmatic, as usual.
  • Reply 223 of 240
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.

Called it ...maybe
  • Reply 224 of 240
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You've been asked "if it's so defective, why aren't people returning it in droves?"

Do we have any reliable proof that people are not retuning iPhones? I mean, isn't that the very fact that you are trying to prove? How can you assume it to be true, when at the same time you are trying to prove that it is true?
  • Reply 225 of 240
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's too late, I've already gone and done it.

You are killing yourself the wrong way.
  • Reply 226 of 240
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!

Finally a voice of sanity. Kudos.
  • Reply 227 of 240
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity

How is the it's being held improperly debate still going. Just watch the WWDC10 presentation or have a look at many of Apple's own ads for the iPhone. Apparently they don't know how to hold it either.

It's a cop out.

Yep... But then, if it was a bad batch in early production, maybe that was not a cop out? We'll know soooooooooooooooon!

Does that mean that a hypothetical good batch of iPhones should not drop signal even when held this way? If so, wouldn't that make Steve's response a "cop out" by definition?
  • Reply 228 of 240
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I don't expect any big hardware or software fixes...

... Just a common-sense discussion of the issues facing all cell phones and how the iP4 addresses these issues compared to other phones.

After a heated give and take Q & A, Steve will carry the day with the announcement that he's going to find Ray Charles...

... Steve, gonna' fin' Ray Charles!

• Reply 229 of 240
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Yes! Bauhaus: Form follows function!

That's a Louis Sullivan quote, actually.

And as a modern day Bauhausler, I can assure you that many Bauhaus product designs were more like the hockey puck mouse and less like what we would consider functional design.
  • Reply 230 of 240
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

That's a Louis Sullivan quote, actually.

And as a modern day Bauhausler, I can assure you that many Bauhaus product designs were more like the hockey puck mouse and less like what we would consider functional design.

You are correct! Touché!

• Reply 231 of 240
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Do we have any reliable proof that people are not retuning iPhones? I mean, isn't that the very fact that you are trying to prove? How can you assume it to be true, when at the same time you are trying to prove that it is true?

There are no lines in any of the AT&T or Apple stores I've been in.

No one here is reporting any significant number of returns (and you can be sure if there were many returns, the whiners would be touting that fact)

The one single public report is from Fortune Magazine which indicated that out of 25 stores, there were only 11 returns.

Now, that is not conclusive evidence, but it's fairly suggestive. If you have evidence that there ARE a lot of returns, feel free to provide it. So far, you haven't provided anything but your own incessant whining.
  • Reply 232 of 240
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You are killing yourself the wrong way.

Damn. No wonder it hasn't worked.
  • Reply 233 of 240
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

My prediction:

1. You will be allowed to get one free bumper (not a whole set)

2. You can bring your phone into an apple store and they will coat the metal with a sealant that is non-conductive (but transparent)

Not sure about the sealant. If it is a durable polymer coating that is applied in liquid form, it would take quite a while to dry sufficiently before it could be handled. There are automotive/aviation coatings such as Cilajet which might work, but I would suggest that it would be best to simply exchange the phone or offer a loner so the process could be done in an appropriate environment such as would be needed for the handling of hazardous substances and heat curing.
  • Reply 234 of 240
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Different user name spellings, but same pronunciation. I love it!

aplnub

Quote:
    Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.

(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)

• Reply 235 of 240
    Quote:

EXACTLY!

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!

4.0.1 is out. It didn't fix the problem. How stupid you feeling right about now?
  • Reply 236 of 240
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

God that's dumb...

I didn't see your comment 'til now. How nice that you took my comment out out of context! If you believe that Apple is filled with superior beings you're a dipshit. Maybe you set your sights so low that you think greatness is making computers that lasts for 4+ years is special. It is you that others look down upon. You are problem ajd not the solution. When you get more knowledge than high school you can comment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

This is not a comment on your reply to his post other then to say when I read your first couple of sentences, it gave me a good chuckle. Which is something I think we could all use right about now!

/

/

/

One thing I've learned when commenting on the net is that you never overestimate someone's intelligence...espescially on this forum filled with fanboys and comments filled with irony.
  • Reply 237 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I was referring to an internal challenger, someone with enough credibility and enough standing to put up a fight with the industrial design guys (Ive et al) without getting canned in the process.

On that note, I still view Android as a platform as opposed to product. Android comparisons in software, but quite a different comparison in terms of hardware, spec-wise and design-wise.

Not only that but k Apple need a social media strategy and a seemingly independent review process for accepting/rejecting apps to the app store
  • Reply 238 of 240
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Here's the real scoop:

http://scoopertino.com/apple-to-use-...phone-problem/

And the author gives his name, so it must be true. :-)
  • Reply 239 of 240
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

EXACTLY!

Eletrical Engineering vs Mechanical Engineering.

One simply cannot fix what could be both with a software release.

Perhaps, mask the problem but am doubtful

that it will fix without causing some other issue like less battery life.

Peace.
  • Reply 240 of 240
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I think part of the issue is that we all really want the phone. Just running and getting a droid does not work for me, I would have more issues there, and not feel as good about it. I really like the iPhone, and want it to work well. Overall, it does give more than it takes away. Just fix the proximity sensor please.

Or maybe not. I have been using the headphones all the time which might be better for my head, who knows.