NYT: iPhone 4 antenna problems a result of 'weakness' in software

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maczones View Post

I build antennas used in the space business. No margin of error is allow in this type of business. After 40 years doing this type of work I can say I know what I am talking about without any reservations. Basic antenna design principles have been the letter of the law since Marconi and it will not change with software magic to day or in the future.

No disrespect intended since you are obviously a noob, but if you are going to get any street cred around here as an engineer, you need to offer more proof. This place is rife with BSers.
  • Reply 42 of 166
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The source who spoke with the Times also indicated that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs did not learn of the software problem until after the iPhone 4 shipped. That is in contrast to a report from earlier Thursday by Bloomberg, which alleged that Jobs was personally informed of the issue last year by Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple.

What contrast? The anonymous "source" says that Jobs did know not about the SOFTWARE problem. Then, the contrast, in the article's words, is that the engineer says he told Jobs about the antenna design, that's a HARDWARE problem.

BS on this whole article and this whole antenna crap. Works just fine, unless you are in a crap area with a bad signal. Hate Apple, fine, don't buy an iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 166
    Why isn't the media reporting on this?

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_RP7Fn1w8Q
  • Reply 44 of 166
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

I am an antenna engineer and the NYT reporter is not. Software will not and I repeat, will not compensate for loss of incoming signal strength. Any basic antenna engineer knows thattouching an antenna produces attenuation that reduces the strength of the incoming RF signal. I cannot believe a company like Apple could have been so careless or just dumb to think it could get away with a design like this. The idea to prefer styling over good design practices has been violated again for the sake of money.

No, you are not an engineer. You are just another high school dropout. "..touching an antenna produces attenuation that reduces the strength of the incoming RF signal." A real engineer wouldn't ever written that nonsense.
  • Reply 45 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It may not be a software issue, per se, but a hardware issue can be compensated for by software. And it wouldn't necessarily mean compromising other aspects of it's functions. Ideally, there would be no hardware issues, but those who claim hardware issues can never be solved with software fixes are wrong. If the software can control the radio circuitry to allow it to compensate for detuning due to contact with the antenna, then that's a legit fix.

Yep, like creating Gold out of water. or oil out of molasses... I suppose Software can create Adam and Eve too? ... Signal strength is need to over compensate for the noise level. Software can help when there is a decrease in signal strength but it cannot create what it does not receive or maybe it can just create it's own words in lieu of the incoming conversation??
  • Reply 46 of 166
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Oh, it's all just so very complex!

Starting with two antennas that are completely exposed and amenable to being touched.

Yes, surely this can be fixed in software.

And we're counting on it.
  • Reply 47 of 166
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No need to feel sorry.

Just know that, if not for Anonymous, we'd never have things like Watergate.

And we would not have a bunch of idiots adding the suffix -gate to any controversial topic.

Watergate is the name of a hotel, which has nothing to do with all of the controversial issues to which the suffix -gate is often added.
  • Reply 48 of 166
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Point is people have invested rage and emotion in this issue. Nothing Apple says or does will placate them. Whatever Apple's solution is it won't be accepted by the heavy breathing, spittle spraying, primordially enraged crowd. Their response to any proposed Apple fix will make the Mel Gibson tapes sound calm and rational.

Tell me I'm wrong. I'm right aren't I.

I can't answer for everybody but I would like to believe that the issue can indeed be fixed in software, in which case, I'll sell my 3Gs and move right on up.

The problem is that I'm sceptical. This is sounding like somebody is prepping the public for a kludge which, if you squint at it just the right way, with your mouth held just so, you can almost begin to believe that it might not be quite as bad as we first thought and, possibly, we imagined the whole thing.

I'll withhold judgement until AnandTech have a chance to examine whatever fix Apple supplies.
  • Reply 49 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

No, you are not an engineer. You are just another high school dropout. "..touching an antenna produces attenuation that reduces the strength of the incoming RF signal." A real engineer wouldn't ever written that nonsense.

Ok wiseguy, then why is Apple suggesting to use the bumpers?? Or Jobs recommending "Not to holdit that way"?? I guess everybody except you is a HS dropout?? Get an education
  • Reply 50 of 166
    Quote:

Ok wiseguy, then why is Apple suggesting to use the bumpers?? Or Jobs recommending "Not to holdit that way"?? I guess everybody except you is a HS dropout?? Get an education

How come the same thing can happens without touching the antenna as shown below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_RP7Fn1w8Q
  • Reply 51 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Ok, we get it that English is not your first language, but now you are just digging yourself a hole. Which space agency did you say you worked for?
  • Reply 52 of 166
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It may not be a software issue, per se, but a hardware issue can be compensated for by software. And it wouldn't necessarily mean compromising other aspects of it's functions. Ideally, there would be no hardware issues, but those who claim hardware issues can never be solved with software fixes are wrong. If the software can control the radio circuitry to allow it to compensate for detuning due to contact with the antenna, then that's a legit fix.

But that would not be a software problem affecting all the prior iPhones as suggested in the leak. The iPhone 4 is the first iPhone which permitts direct physical contact with the antenna. The detuning would likely not be a constant in any event.
  • Reply 53 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

And we would not have a bunch of idiots adding the suffix -gate to any controversial topic.

Watergate is the name of a hotel, which has nothing to do with all of the controversial issues to which the suffix -gate is often added.

Surely, you're not referring to antenna-gate, are you!?
  • Reply 54 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

"Verify, then trust."

Old Russian proverb as told by Ronald Reagan.

I think Reagan (in the context of the US-Russian nuclear arsenal reduction) actually said, 'Trust, but verify.'

Similar in meaning, though.....
  • Reply 55 of 166
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Get a Case ..

My iphone 4 works better then my 3g.. and works at work where VWZ had to install Antennas just so BB would work..
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Since your arrogance implies that you think you must be a real one, please elucidate for the rest of us heathens.

Thank you, sir. (O/w, please shut up and go away).
  • Reply 58 of 166
    Quote:

I am an antenna engineer and the NYT reporter is not. Software will not and I repeat, will not compensate for loss of incoming signal strength. Any basic antenna engineer knows that touching an antenna produces attenuation that reduces the strength of the incoming RF signal. I cannot believe a company like Apple could have been so careless or just dumb to think it could get away with a design like this. The idea to prefer styling over good design practices has been violated again for the sake of money.

And I am Superman. With my amazing powers I can (gingerly of course so I don't crush it) make the iPhone lose all it's bars, drop a call AND make the world spin backwards - reversing the charges on my ATT phone plan and making them pay ME for the privilege of using the iPhone. Look I have an email to prove it - and a cheque for $1 gazillion dollars!

No really, what kind of "antenna engineer" are you exactly, recognizing that different bandwidths of radio frequency need different kinds of antenna to propagate and receive signals correctly. Are you a repair technician, or an actual engineer? Depending on the antenna, the transmitter or transceiver, the method of controlling signal strength and the frequencies used, touching an antenna can, attenuate the signal from the transmitter, strengthen the signal, fry your hand or do nothing at all. And yes anyone with any training in radiofrequency technologies knows this and doesn't silly blanket statements like those you made.

Try the statement instead of "I am the king of Prussia". I will more readily believe that claim based on your statement above.
  • Reply 59 of 166
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    LOL - more stories from so called experts that really don't have a clue and need to shut up so Apple can speak on the issue at hand here...I am so tired of more stories told by folks wanting to just be in the news. Just let the press event happen already so we can get past this already. Jeeps
  • Reply 60 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duaneu2 View Post

It's a hardware problem, it's a software problem...recall, no recall....they're just throwing everything at the wall, aren't they?

And yes. Yes they are.