• Reply 121 of 140
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Still no Field Test Mode in 4.0.1.

Surprise, surprise.
  • Reply 122 of 140
    mipiersmipiers Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

I bought the first iPhone and now have the iPhone 4. I have never had any problems with syncing, have never lost any data and haven't lost any time.

I'd sugest if you are having this much trouble that the error may be in outdated software or some third party app that is causing the problem.

If you have everything up to date with the current OS, everything works. At least for me.

Thanks for your suggestions but no, I'm up-to-date with everything - Itunes wouldn't even let me proceed if I didn't have the latest version - and, to prove my point, it magically worked on the third attempt without any restarts or changes to the system.

I've had every Ipod since 2nd gen and every Iphone since original so am fairly familiar with how the whole ecosystem works. Besides even if I wasn't up to date with any software I still wouldn't expect to get unintelligible error messages and crashing itunes would I?. Isn't that the kind of non user friendly software that Apple's been slagging Microsoft off for over the last 10 years?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Are you using iTunes 9.2 with OS 10.6.4? Isn't there a way to tell iTunes that you have a new iPhone and to load everything new?

I'm a geek but try telling this to the non-technical person who just wants their phone to work. As I say, I love the actual phone, but Apple can't rebrand itself as a consumer electronics company and then deliver flaky software like this which is ten times less robust and user friendly than the days when they were called 'Apple Computer'.
  • Reply 123 of 140
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post

i have noticed the proximity sensor has improved significantly on iOS 4.1 beta.

I can confirm no, still hanging up on folks with my cheek.
  • Reply 124 of 140
    brian5sbrian5s Posts: 4member
    Check out this video here to see why iOS 4.0.1 update didn't fix a thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccgmkGdXvI

Brian
  • Reply 125 of 140
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Just upgraded my 3Gs to 4.01. I can hold it lightly at bottom and get it to drop from 3 to 2 or 1 bar consistently and at will. Don't have my iP4 anymore to do side by side comparison, but would surmise this software fix is bogus, unless it is specific to iP4, which is highly unlikely, considering reports that are already coming in, like the youtube video in the previous post.
  • Reply 126 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brian5s View Post

Check out this video here to see why iOS 4.0.1 update didn't fix a thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccgmkGdXvI

Brian

The 4.0.1 update was to fix the calculation of bars. It does nothing for any reception problems. Wasn't supposed to.

"Improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display"

I have seen some press reports that are in error when they say it was to fix reception problems.

From CNET:

"But the system update is only meant to change the way the phone displays signal strength, and does not address the weakening or dropped signals when the phone is gripped in a certain way."
  • Reply 127 of 140
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I'll pass on doing it for my 3GS since I'm getting one of the first White iP4s soon enough and I don't need a different graph generation matrix to know if I've got a signal or not. But I wanted the Wi-Fi fix for hhe iPad plus there are several other improvements listed that I don't understand but don't want to miss out on. The point is it took about 2 hours for the backup to process only 20GB of stuff after a 20 minute system download. Way too slow I think.
  • Reply 128 of 140
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why does Apple use a bar chart anyways? That is so, like, Motorola or something.

I still say they should eliminate it completely until they can make it great.

Because ATTs whole ad campaign is "more bars in more places." Hm, now that I think about it, I guess that's one way to get more bars...fake it in software!
  • Reply 129 of 140
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Because ATTs whole ad campaign is "more bars in more places." Hm, now that I think about it, I guess that's one way to get more bars...fake it in software!

Now it's "Less Bars in More Places", and "No Bars, Please, in Redwood City".
  • Reply 130 of 140
    bkcrowlbkcrowl Posts: 9member
    Oddly enough, my antenna issues worsened 100% after the update. I haven't actually experienced the loss of signal, until directly after installing the 4.0.1 update...this sucks.
  • Reply 131 of 140
    browzerbrowzer Posts: 1member
    I've had huge problems with the proximity sensor... after 4.0.1 it seems a lot better... I haven't been able to replicate the problem anymore... here's hoping that it's actually fixed and not just a fluke.
  • Reply 132 of 140
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

each and every one of them has confirmed that if the phone is not held, it has the best antenna of any phone ever tested.

If you have a bad signal, it *is* actually AT&T's fault.

That's interesting if it's true. I thought they said that iPhone 4 has the best reception of any iPhone, but I haven't seen statements against other phones. Do you have any links to these tests? They would be truly interesting to read.

Some critisize AT&T now for the fact that iPhone shows three bars instead of five. But as some stated, Samsungs and Motos show five bars in the same locations. The interesting question is: are the Samsungs and Motos showing their bars incorrectly or does the iPhone 4 have a poor antenna design (yet better than previous iPhones) even if not being held?

That's why it would be interesting to see proper tests with proper comparisons against other vendor's terminals.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 133 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkcrowl View Post

Oddly enough, my antenna issues worsened 100% after the update. I haven't actually experienced the loss of signal, until directly after installing the 4.0.1 update...this sucks.

Your actual signal strength hasn't changed. It only looks like a "loss of signal" because Apple has significantly changed the meaning of the signal bars. iOS4 was showing more signal than you really had--it pretty much gave everyone five bars when the signal really wasn't that strong. The 4.0.1 update fixes that. So now, you're really seeing how (bad) your signal really was.

This link has a pretty good explanation:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/i...-41-signal-fix

Hope that answers it.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    On my 3Gs, since the update the signal strength indicator looks stronger now. Sitting in the cradle it seems to pretty well consistently show 5 bars whereas previously I was lucky to get 3. I don't recognise any change in the way the signal strength bars are displayed - is the change to the style of display for the iP4 only?

When I grip it in my left hand I lose about three bars. If I grip the edges in the middle - fine for making calls - I lose one, sometimes two, bars. I'm using O2 in the UK. There is always the remote possibility that O2 coincidentally increased their signal strength yesterday unbeknownst to me!
  • Reply 135 of 140
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    No iOS4 for iPad?
  • Reply 136 of 140
    I have had no issues w/ the proximity sensor, so I can't really test. The other oddity is that photos taken in portrait get into email boxes in landscape (try sending one to a webmail client vs. your mac). Hoping 4.01 fixes that.
  • Reply 137 of 140
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, the iPad update was 456MB. Not a diff I gather...
  • Reply 138 of 140
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

No iOS4 for iPad?

Not yet, it remains a month or two away, as previously announced.
  • Reply 139 of 140

This is how Apple has fixed the algorithm on iPhones.