Comments

• Reply 81 of 119
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I got my iP4 a day early (june 23).

I have not experienced any problems.

I would consider a replacement if it included a hardware change, because:

1) I might decide to resell my device and, given all the flack, the replacement would bring a better price.

2) of 3 original iPhones I bought in 2007, 3 are still in use- 1 for development and 2 as SIMless iPods for my grandchildren. With all the focus on the device, it is probable that a re-engineered 1.1 iP4 will have a longer useful life than the 1.0 version-- and therefore a better push down device for my family.

For me. it would be more of a convenience decision rather than a necessary one-- is it worth the effort to exchange it?

You see any problems with that exchange unnecessarily draining Apple's coffers? if you have a working phone and you exchange it simply because you can, in order to extend its value, that seems fair? You legitimately received what you paid for and it has no problems. By taking advantage of an exchange policy, in order to get a bit more than you paid for seems a bit unfair to Apple.

It doesn't sound much different than a 'scam' being run on CostCo a few years ago. They always had an extremely generous return policy and still do. Have a problem or just want to return it, feel free, no matter how old it is. But, years ago, it applied even more liberally and applied to the PCs and electronics. At one point, they had a problem where people would buy a PC, keep it for a year and then return it, even though there were no problems. Costco's policy, was if you had a receipt, you got your cash back. They would take the cash and buy a new PC. This would be repeated over and over. Costco wised up and their return policy was modified a few years ago to limit PC returns to 60 or 90 days. After that, they can be serviced under warranty, no refunds.

How is that any different that than taking advantage of Apple to get a new phone, even if yours has no problems?
  • Reply 82 of 119
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple could give every single iPhone customer a new iPhone 5 that makes calls to Saturn without difficulty, 30 year battery life, more features, no dropped calls EVER, a $50,000 check for their inconvenience - and some people would STILL be complaining.

Ain't it the truth!

Some people aren't happy unless they are whining about other people.
  • Reply 83 of 119
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though reports have indicated Apple will not initiate a full recall of the iPhone 4 at its press conference today, some prominent Wall Street analysts believe Apple could institute a "voluntary" recall, or refund dissatisfied owners the full purchase price.

That should read "Some prominent Wall Street analysts haven't bothered to do their homework and have no clue that Apple will give buyers a full refund (no restocking fee) for up to 30 days from purchase AND ATT does not charge the Early Termination Fee."

And they have done this since at least the 3g release.
  • Reply 84 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why would i want to exchange a perfectly good piece of hardware that's less than five weeks old? I'm thrilled with my iPhone, as is everyone I know.

Those of us (the majority) who have no issue with their iPhone aren't saying there isn't an issue, we're just making the point that it's not some design flaw and every single unit isn't affected, as the media and various pundits and analysts are stating.

Perfect. If Apple intros a changed model to fix the problem you aren't having, will you exchange yours?
  • Reply 85 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i'm sorry, but i don't think anyone at all has said that the problem doesn't exist. at the very beginning of the saga, perhaps, but certainly not in recent weeks. but don't let that stop you hanging onto that for grim death.

you know what - i shouldn't have spoken in absolutes. there have indeed been some people - a small minority - doing what you claim. yet these people are most likely reacting to the people complaining about a device they don't even own, and people speaking in absolute terms about a problem for which they have absolutely no empirical, scientific data to rely upon.

the "regulars" here, however, have been much more level-headed - these people have said that they don't have the problem, or that they have the problem and are waiting to see what apple does, or are using a case to compensate; they've said they sympathise with those who have the problem; they've indeed suggested people return it instead of venting on the internet. that's what i've read.

Then you haven't read enough. And please don't presume to teach me about 'the regulars' here.
  • Reply 86 of 119
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atsysusa View Post

Two of the quoted 'Analysts' [and many posters] suggest that Apple should instituted a refund policy. DUH - Apple announced some time ago that anyone dissatisfied with their iPhone4 could return it for a full refund. And that means no restocking fee as well. No indication yet on the number of returns but Apple's reference to <1% seems credible.

While that's true, assuming they do change the hardware design, it seems reasonable to expect the rate of returns/exchanges to go way up. Even from people who haven't had the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why would i want to exchange a perfectly good piece of hardware that's less than five weeks old? I'm thrilled with my iPhone, as is everyone I know.

Those of us (the majority) who have no issue with their iPhone aren't saying there isn't an issue, we're just making the point that it's not some design flaw and every single unit isn't affected, as the media and various pundits and analysts are stating.

The press conference is in an hour, and anything can happen. If apple announces that they've made a design change, then that's an admission that it is a design flaw. If that's what they announce, wouldn't you want to exchange your phone for an updated design that is known to work better?
  • Reply 87 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

I have never had a reception issue with my Iphone 4G. That is because I use a case and thus my antenna never gets blocked by the "death grip".

I have never had a reception issue with my Iphone 4 (not 4g happy, just 4) and I don't use a case at all.

Same for my roommate, my boyfriend, his boyfriend, all 3 of my sisters, my brother in law, and 19 of my 20 co-workers. #20 actually uses a case because he thinks the metal is 'ugly' and has no clue if he'd have a problem if he took it off.

IF whatever this is is a 'major design flaw' like Gizmodo etc want the world to believe then we would have tons of issues. We don't so it seems there's other factors. Just like the one that Consumer Reports mentioned. Ya know that 'areas of weak reception' bit. But lets not suggest that perhaps it is that ATT sucks in the area that is the issue. Lets blame it on the number of bars display (which really doesn't mean anything re: reception)
  • Reply 88 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

So forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question, if the reception problem is so bad (we haven't seen it on either my wife's or my iphone4) how did all the carriers miss it in their testing?? I have a hard time believing Apple was able to hide this "feature" for all their partner carriers??

Here's the latest media scuttlebutt:

The electronics giant also kept such a shroud of secrecy over the iPhone 4's development that the device didn't get the kind of real-world testing that would have exposed such problems in phones by other manufacturers, said people familiar with the matter.

The iPhones Apple sends to its carrier partners for testing are "stealth" phones that disguise a new device's shape and some of its functions, people familiar with the matter said.

Those test phones are specifically designed so the phone can't be touched, which made it hard to catch the iPhone 4's antenna problem.

Apple gave its carrier partners limited time to test the iPhone 4 before its June 24 launch and gave them significantly fewer devices to test than other handset makers, people familiar with the matter said.

An Apple spokesman declined to comment on the company's development process or relationship with carriers.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz0trXtC5PE
  • Reply 89 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Wow. I'm speechless at Wu's explanation and understanding of RF engineering.

I don't dabble in nuclear engineering, so why is he dabbling in RF engineering when it is painfully obvious that he doesn't have a clue?

thank you, right on.
  • Reply 90 of 119
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You see any problems with that exchange unnecessarily draining Apple's coffers? if you have a working phone and you exchange it simply because you can, in order to extend its value, that seems fair? You legitimately received what you paid for and it has no problems. By taking advantage of an exchange policy, in order to get a bit more than you paid for seems a bit unfair to Apple.

Assuming there is a hardware update, even if the user sees no problems (and don't forget that it's entirely possible that the user's phone does have the problem but they just haven't been in an area with low enough signal to encounter it), it seems entirely reasonable to exchange it since presumably the updated version would perform better.

And whether it is unfair to Apple is a moot point - they tested the device, they shipped the device. If they had done better testing before release this whole situation wouldn't even exist. Apple has only themselves to blame for whatever consequences come out of this.
  • Reply 91 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I hope this is an honest question!

Apple rarely gives the final device to anyone outside. It has too much importance in terms of overall PR buzz they create before the launch. According to a QA engineer I know, even most of the QA folks got a well disguised device that did not have an exposed antenna so they never saw any issue.

So I find it incredibly hard to believe that all the carriers that sell the iPhone agreed to just believe Apple and not lab test the device in their own labs, simulating their base stations, etc. And if that truly is the case, then I put all the blame on them, they are the experts, they are the ones building their own networks, choosing what base station hardware/software, antenna's etc. There is no way for Apple to test all the different combinations themselves.
  • Reply 92 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not at all. Apple is currently offering a full refund - and look at all the people whining.

Whine. Whine. Whine.

That is all some people ever do.

It is soooooooooooooo annoying!!!!!!!!

• Reply 93 of 119
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Steve should ask the numerologist :

Apple's iPhone 4 Dilemma

Hi Johan,

I am a big Apple fan and love my iPhone, especially

when traveling. I still have my 2007 version and will

be upgrading eventually - but not to the current

iPhone 4.

After breaking Apple?s sales records with a

spectacular release on June 24, there have been

untypical glitches concerning this model, in

particular the antenna.

Let?s look at what the numbers reveal.

Apple Computer has an 8 Destiny number ? very

appropriate considering the company?s incredible

success. 8 is about wealth, executive leadership and

overcoming obstacles.

Yes, Apple will overcome this uncharacteristic glitch,

but it won?t be effortless.

Here?s why.

The latest iPhone uses the number 4, AND the iPhone 4

was released during an 8 Personal Year for Apple.

Yes, the powerful 8 cycle does explain why the launch

broke all records. 1.7 milliyon sold in the first

three days ? a number that also reduces to 8.

However, since then there have been problems.

This is no surprise during an 8 cycle, which will

bring up hurdles. 8 is all about building strength.

However, there is another big dynamic at play here as

well.

The iPhone 4 is being released in Apple?s 8 Personal

Year - a combination that sets up an fateful

relationship. This is because numbers 4 and 8 have a

magnetic attraction to each other that often cause

difficulties.

For this reason alone I would not have advised Apple

to release a product sporting the number 4 in an 8

Personal year.

Even Apple?s shares have fallen 8 percent since the

iPhone came out.

Notice that Apple?s previous phones had either no

number, or were followed by the number 3 ? iPhone 3G

and iPhone 3GS. This is significant because Number 3

signifies communication, perfection and social

interaction. Exactly what you want to project for a

phone and email device.

Contrast that to the number 4 which symbolizes

grounding, discipline, and work. It is a slower number

requiring patience as you take things step by step.

Patience is definitely on the agenda for Apple

and all iPhone customers right now.
  • Reply 94 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You are probably right, those are likely the two most common complaints about the whiners. Unfortunately, they are used against pretty much anyone that believes there is an issue and joins the discussion.

1) Person that bought a phone and has been dropping calls and has heard of the reported problems or experienced them. They have been waiting to see what Apple says about it. They join the discussion here. Typical response, from your 'main complaints' options, would normally be #2. "STFU, you expect it to be perfect? You want a working phone? You want miracles?"

2) Person that intends to buy an iPhone but wants to see how Apple responds and deals with the widely reported problems. Typical response, probably #1: "STFU, you have never touched and iPhone and never would. You have no objectivity and no facts to base you opinion on. You're simply repeating the most negative comments they can find."

Some of what you say, happens-- for sure.

I believe that most reasoned members try yo look at posts objectively and separate those with real problems and questions from those who are fabricating issues. Sometimes it is difficult because a poster with a real problem is, upset (rightfully), and may come across as a troll-- especially if he just joined the forum.

After several posts, and responses to questions, you can usually determine if the poster is a troll.

Then there is this: Some who post here have an obvious agenda-- best described as spreading FUD, mudding the water, stirring the pot.

Some, have taken this to a higher level: calling people trolls who have an obvious problem-- then changing sides and calling people trolls who challenge obvious whiners.

So they attain their agenda by angering: those with real problems; and those trying to help, alike-- while confusing the issue and dominating the discussion.

A couple of these use an alias starting with "C".

• Reply 95 of 119
    Here a Real story on the What the Apple Announcement is GOING to be

http://greatbusinessideas.wordpress....one-on-friday/
  • Reply 96 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple obviously thinks it is a serious enough issue, as does much of the world, o/w we wouldn't have today's event.

Yes but what is IT.

is IT, this horrible design mistake that Apple made and failed to actually test over despite being told by experts on their own payroll what a huge mistake it was. Or even is IT Apple's belief that they could pawn this shite product on the world and blame it on ATT etc when folks figured it out.

Or is IT the media and bloggers blowing this whole thing way out of proportion in a mass anti Apple campaign (intended or not) and trumping out sketchy 'evidence' created by poorly constructed tests of too few samples and bad testing parameters, folks with no clue talking out of their 'hats' etc.

I wouldn't be shocked if it is the latter and they go on the stage with a crew of experts and hand out packets of detailed testing results. That they point out the flaws even in the Consumer Reports article, including the mention that the effects only happen if you are in an area with crappy reception (so hey maybe it's the reception in the area that is the issue not the phone). Explain the whole bars and what they really mean (which is nothing to do with reception). End it with reminding folks that there is a 30 day return policy with no restock or ETF. ANd then we find out via a leaked memo that managers are informed that only 50% of their onhand stock each day will be used for any wait lists, so they have phones on hand should they get a run on returns. Which will probably only happen in ATT's known shite areas
  • Reply 97 of 119
    I'm surprised no one has pointed out that there's no difference between a "full recall" and a "voluntary recall." A recall is considered "voluntary" if it's initiated by the manufacturer, as opposed to a mandatory recall that is initiated by government order. (A mandatory recall, incidentally, would only occur in the country that mandates it while a voluntary recall would potentially be worldwide.)

I think there is ZERO chance of a recall on the iPhone 4, and that's going out on a limb just 40 minutes before the press conference. Apple has *already* offered a 30-day full refund with no restocking fee, and AT&T likewise allows one to return a phone and cancel a contract within 30 days.

Given this, and the assumption that only a fraction of all iPhone 4s sold are having significant reception problems, I see two possibilities:

1) If there is a hardware fix possible, it will be offered for any iPhone 4 up to two years from original date of purchase if it can be shown that the iPhone is in fact exhibiting this problem. The fix would be offered regardless of warranty status of the phone (but likely not for iPhones which are physically damaged, etc.)

2) If the problem can't be fixed by a repair to the existing phone an exchange will be offered (same terms as above) for phones that are shown to be exhibiting the problem.

It's possible that there will be a "feel good" gesture made to existing iPhone customers, such as a free bumper or a gift card for the Apple store. Bumpers have high margins, so cost relatively little, and gift cards encourage additional purchases so these are low-risk gestures.

Again, I think there's no chance at all of a recall.
  • Reply 98 of 119
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Yep. It won't happen but how interesting would it get if AT&T sued Apple for damage to their reputation.

Verizon is thanking their lucky stars they didn't get the first exclusive iPhone contract.

you guys are worse than hecklers at a comedy show. you got your proverbial jab, now how about reality?

you actually think verizon is glad that do not have the iphone? are you serious, if you believe that, well there is no reason to have a rational discussion with you.
  • Reply 99 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Here's the full press conference which was taped in advance by an inside operative. The fun starts at 03:46 into the video. Jobs is the one with the "tool".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMPlIQAz5E

LOL! That is EXACTLY what Steve is going to do to those Bloggers!
  • Reply 100 of 119
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    If someone were to return their iPhone for whatever reason, does that mean that the 2-year AT&T contract extension gets "ripped up," or does it mean the contract extension is still in effect and I have to buy a different AT&T smartphone?

Thanks.