Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just 0.55 percent of all iPhone owners have called AppleCare with an antenna issue, and the return rate for the iPhone 4 has been 1.7 percent -- much less than the 6 percent seen with last year's iPhone 3GS, Apple said Friday.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs hosted Friday's event, and said that Apple has known about the antenna issue for the last 22 days. He said that the company has been working hard to address the issue since it first learned of it. "We've been working our butts off," he said.

"You know, we're not perfect," Jobs said, according to Macworld. "And phones aren't perfect either. But we want to make all of our users happy. And if you don't know that about Apple, you don't know Apple."

Jobs even offered a glimpse inside of Apple's secretive labs, showing a massive shielded room where the company tests its phones. Jobs said that Apple has 17 anechoic chambers, a $100 million investment. They also have 18 PhD scientists and engineers on their staff.

He also suggested the issue is not a major problem with iPhone 4 owners, noting that just 0.55 percent of all iPhone customers have called AppleCare with an antenna issue.

He also highlighted that other phones experience similar issues, including the BlackBerry Bold 9700 from Research in Motion, Samsung Omnia II, and the HTC Droid Eris. Clips of the phones losing reception when held improperly were shown.

"It's a challenge for the entire industry, and we're doing the best we can, but every phone has weak spots," he said.

Jobs also noted that on Thursday, Apple released iOS 4.0.1 for the iPhone, which improved the accuracy of the handset's display of signal strength. The cosmetic change did not, however, improve the reception with the phone, but rather changed how it reports the available reception.

The event kicked off by showing the "iPhone 4 Antenna Song," a YouTube clip that has garnered interest this week. The song parodies the iPhone 4 antenna problems, and suggests that the media has blown the issue out of proportion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    So far, the tone of the conference is that there is no problem and we're all idiots if we think there are. This will not do Apple's PR any good.

Yes, if you cup and death squeeze a phone you'll get signal drop. On the iPhone 4 all you need to do is rest your finger on the spot, no grip, no cupping nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

So far, the tone of the conference is that there is no problem and we're all idiots if we think there are. This will not do Apple's PR any good.

Yes, if you cup and death squeeze a phone you'll get signal drop. On the iPhone 4 all you need to do is rest your finger on the spot, no grip, no cupping nothing.

Actually, you are only an idiot if you don't return the phone when you are experiencing this problem.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Hard to argue with a 0.55% complaint rate, unless of course you assume that Apple is lying. Which, no doubt, some will.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Did not admit to the problem, but this is the most I expected!
  • Reply 5 of 107
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Ok, waiting for the meat of this.

The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Working on a fix!
  • Reply 7 of 107
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    WOOHOO! He acknowledged the proximity sensor issue and says a fix is coming
  • Reply 8 of 107
    Quote:

I have a 3GS, is it so hard to avoid the seam on your IP4?
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Quote:

What Apple forgot to include is the percent of idiots that complained, but doesn't and will never own an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquabella View Post

Actually, you are only an idiot if you don't return the phone when you are experiencing this problem.

According to Jobs, what would be the point, every smartphone is exactly the same way?

I am wondering why we did not get this burst when the Bold was released.

The conference seems to have altered it's tone in a positive way. I would have started out with this before launching into why there really is no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Hard to argue with a 0.55% complaint rate, unless of course you assume that Apple is lying. Which, no doubt, some will.

To be honest, how many of you guys have called up a tech company for support? I normally go to forums for immediate help. Usually, it's the complete tech newbs that call 800 numbers.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

What they forgot is to put the percent of idiots that complained, but doesn't and will never own an iPhone 4

Own one, am posting from it and love it. With a case it's great. Without it's often useless. I always have a case anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Ok, waiting for the meat of this.

The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.

Exactly. I know I have the problem myself, but I haven't called in about it.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is Steve holding this press conference "the wrong way”.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

To be honest, how many of you guys have called up a tech company for support? I normally go to forums for immediate help. Usually, it's the complete tech newbs that call 800 numbers.

Whoa, try calling Dell-Hell for support, let alone Google. Wait, google doesn't offer phone support, i forgot.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

I have a 3GS, is it so hard to avoid the seam on your IP4?

Yes. I'm right handed and always hold the iPhone 4 with my right hand. My pinky finger always bridges the gap between the two antennas. Yes, I could manage to remove my pinky from the iPhone 4 and point it straight up like I'm drinking a cup of tea, but I won't.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    Wow, I think Steve Jobs basically asked people to swamp his AppleCare folks regarding every little gripe about their products in today's press conference. I, for one and I bet I'm not alone in this, did not call AppleCare about the disappearing reception bars (continues to happen after installing 4.0.1 btw) because I knew Apple doesn't have a solution and that I'd be wasting my time on the phone to try and eke one out. I was playing the wait-and-see game.

But now Steve has sent a clear message that I should call their AppleCare line as soon as I notice any little problem no matter what.

Sigh, I'd better hold the phone 'correctly' or else my call might get dropped as I wait on hold...
  • Reply 18 of 107
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

First I'll go to the internent to see if there is a quick solution, but if I have to I'll go to the 1-800 number. I went to the 1-800 number when my Xbox 360 RRODed.
  • Reply 19 of 107
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Not a surprise really.

So I'll be sticking with the new 3Gs. Looking forward to the iP5 when it appears next year.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    Quote:

According to Jobs, what would be the point, every smartphone is exactly the same way?

I am wondering why we did not get this burst when the Bold was released.

The conference seems to have altered it's tone in a positive way. I would have started out with this before launching into why there really is no problem.

If you aren't happy with the phone, return it. Period. I'm willing to buy a product from anybody who has a return policy like that. Seems like some people feel entitled to have a phone that is perfect, or Steve Jobs should go to jail.