Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

I have a 3GS, is it so hard to avoid the seam on your IP4?

Yes. I am a right handed person. I noticed the problem most when I would hold the phone in my left hand in the portrait position to type an email etc. That is how I held my 3G and my BB before then. The lower left corner of the phone hits the base below my thumb. Never had this problem with any other smartphone.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Steve holding this press conference "the wrong way?.

Thats pretty good.

On a side note: Looks like you need something else to do. Nearing 18,000 posts
  • Reply 23 of 107
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquabella View Post

If you aren't happy with the phone, return it. Period. I'm willing to buy a product from anybody who has a return policy like that. Seems like some people feel entitled to have a phone that is perfect, or Steve Jobs should go to jail.

I am happy with the phone, because I have a case. IMO a phone should not require a case to work properly.

What really bothers me is the BS Jobs is feeding people. There is no question that this problem is far more prevalent on a phone where you're in actual contact with the antenna then when it's internal. All I'd like is some honesty which would do much to restore my trust in Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    obs1970obs1970 Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Whoa, try calling Dell-Hell for support, let alone Google. Wait, google doesn't offer phone support, i forgot.

Dell customer support=Free 80 min trip round the world [call centers that is!]
  • Reply 25 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I am happy with the phone, because I have a case. IMO a phone should not require a case to work properly.

What really bothers me is the BS Jobs is feeding people. There is no question that this problem is far more prevalent on a phone where you're in actual contact with the antenna then when it's internal. All I'd like is some honesty which would do much to restore my trust in Apple.

If you think he's lying, return the phone! Nobody is forcing you to use an iPhone 4. If you are so disappointed, don't buy anymore apple products. Nobody is forcing you to use them.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

To be honest, how many of you guys have called up a tech company for support? I normally go to forums for immediate help. Usually, it's the complete tech newbs that call 800 numbers.

I bet it’s more common than you think. Even on tech forums I read posters calling a CSR to get answers. If you consider that most people aren’t on any tech forums calling a CSR might be the best and easiest option. Also, there are likely plenty of people that don’t own an iPhone 4 calling the forums asking about the issue.

That said, Apple specifically used the 0.55% number to represent calls to AppleCare, not phones with issues, and we know that most customers simply won’t call anyones so the 16,500 calls is likely a lot for Apple on a single issue in just 3 weeks.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    obs1970obs1970 Posts: 22member
    This has been way overblown by the media. Both my iPhone 4 and previous 3G drop calls at the same rate and locations. The iphone 4 is amazing, that is why it has a 1.7% return rate.

Apple did the right thing today. You live in low coverage area and your hands short the antenna, there is a free bumper for you. You don't like the iPhone with the bumper or without the bumper, return it for a full refund.

Antenna Case closed!
  • Reply 28 of 107
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I wonder if Schumer will copy and paste from his Apple letter when writing to RIM, HTC and Samsung.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I am wondering why we did not get this burst when the Bold was released.

This where the 'faulty' bars come into play. If the bars didn't exaggerate the problem there may have been less of an outcry.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    He didn't discuss the problem caused by just touching the space. They showed all these other phones, where the person holding them had to squeeze so hard the flesh of their thumbs was squished and turning dark red, before the bars would drop. So what was missing from this:

1) Yes, other phones, apparently when squeezed, drop bars. How much actual signal loss. As has been long discussed, making it about the bars is misleading.

2) What about touch the band causing signal loss?

In the Q&A they were specifically asked:

"how does touching the corner with a single finger seem to cause this issue? It?s not just a grip, it can just happen by touching a single finger."

The answer was a non-answer dodge:

"Your body is a pretty effective signal absorber. When you make contact with that phone, its performance in contact with you is less than its freespace performance. It?s a way to attenuate the signal by some amount."
  • Reply 31 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

To be honest, how many of you guys have called up a tech company for support? I normally go to forums for immediate help. Usually, it's the complete tech newbs that call 800 numbers.

If I had a serious problem I'd either call, or bring it back to where I bought it. Note also the 1.7% return rate, which seems to be a fair indicator of the number of people who've had real issues.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    Quote:

Yes. I am a right handed person. I noticed the problem most when I would hold the phone in my left hand in the portrait position to type an email etc. That is how I held my 3G and my BB before then. The lower left corner of the phone hits the base below my thumb. Never had this problem with any other smartphone.

I'm truly sorry for your problem, but realize that it is still your decision and responsibility to return any product if it doesn't fully meet or suit your needs and expectations.

The comment about Apple PR just reeks of entitlement, but hardly surprising.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    I certainly am not in the same room and getting the updates from the website. Overall, I think Steve is doing a great job. He seems to be presenting facts and if you guys are going to bitch about that then all I can say is that you are bunch of whiners.

Okay, even though his explanation about drop call difference between iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 might a bit shaky as antenna in iPhone 3GS was internal and same issue doesn't apply as iPhone 4, but maybe there is some truth about people casing there iPhone 3GS from their old 3G.

Secondly, I think people might not have called in to AppleCare or returned their iPhone because they love their iPhone 4 and they very well knew this was going to happen. So at end of the day, the numbers that he presented validates his both points - iPhone 4 is a better phone and people love their Apple products as they do know they are technologically advanced and very user friendly.

Finally, people got what they wanted - Free $30 case/bumper. And if they still want to they can return and get full refund with no restocking fees. I guess we just have to wait and see how soon do we see these returned phones as refurbished phone - Mostly likely not for a long time as I don't think we are going to see returns as fast and soon.

I think his explanation of drop call between iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 makes sense about folks using cases from
  • Reply 34 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Steve holding this press conference "the wrong way?.

Oh, cut that out. I think you typed this post the wrong way!
  • Reply 35 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    From Mobile Crunch Twitter feed:

Quote:

Q: On the free bumpers. That goes until Sept. 30th; is that because by Sept. 30th, people should just know the phone has issues?

#

A: No, that just gives us time to reexamine. Maybe people will be less focused on this problem; maybe we'll have a better idea.

by Greg Kumparak at 1:53 PM

#

• Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquabella View Post

If you think he's lying, return the phone! Nobody is forcing you to use an iPhone 4. If you are so disappointed, don't buy anymore apple products. Nobody is forcing you to use them.

Thank you!
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

He didn't discuss the problem caused by just touching the space. They showed all these other phones, where the person holding them had to squeeze so hard the flesh of their thumbs was squished and turning dark red, before the bars would drop. So what was missing from this:

1) Yes, other phones, apparently when squeezed, drop bars. How much actual signal loss. As has been long discussed, making it about the bars is misleading.

2) What about touch the band causing signal loss?

In the Q&A they were specifically asked:

"how does touching the corner with a single finger seem to cause this issue? It?s not just a grip, it can just happen by touching a single finger."

The answer was a non-answer dodge:

"Your body is a pretty effective signal absorber. When you make contact with that phone, its performance in contact with you is less than its freespace performance. It?s a way to attenuate the signal by some amount."

Perhaps it's because on iP4, there is an actual mark showing exactly where to "just touch" to get the signal to drop. That mark doesn't exist on the other phones, so maybe it's harder to locate the spot to touch for attenuation?
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Yes. I'm right handed and always hold the iPhone 4 with my right hand. My pinky finger always bridges the gap between the two antennas. Yes, I could manage to remove my pinky from the iPhone 4 and point it straight up like I'm drinking a cup of tea, but I won't.

lmao..... I don't blame you, I'm waiting for the "fix" before I jump in.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehrhards View Post

Perhaps it's because on iP4, there is an actual mark showing exactly where to "just touch" to get the signal to drop. That mark doesn't exist on the other phones, so maybe it's harder to locate the spot to touch for attenuation?

probably because the spot isn't exposed.

In the end, I think Apple has now handled this as well as they could at this point. The bumpers apparently solve the discussed issues of the bars and the undiscussed issue of touching the spot.

I think the cut off for the free cases was chosen carefully. They likely need that amount of time to find a coating for the antenna and ramp up production using it. Otherwise, after sept 30, would we expect they just continue to sell it without what Steve's own personal theory dictates is the solution?
  • Reply 40 of 107
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Ok, waiting for the meat of this.

The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.

Actually, your assumption is rather silly.