Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Every new iPhone 4 purchased through Sept. 30 will be eligible for a variety of free cases, and those who already purchased a first-party "bumper" will receive a refund, Apple announced on Friday.

Apple will offer its own bumpers, but said it cannot make the cases fast enough for customers, so it will source some other cases from other vendors and give users a choice of options. Users will be able to pick which one they would like.

Customers can apply for their free case on Apple's website starting late next week. "Pick a case, zoom, we'll send it off to you," Jobs reportedly said. "That simple."

In addition, customers who are still unhappy with the iPhone 4 can return their handset undamaged within 30 days for a full refund. Users can return before or after they've received their free case.

"No restocking fee or anything," Jobs said. "We want to take care of everyone. We want every user to be happy."

However, he revealed that there will not be a refund for customers who bought third-party cases for the iPhone 4. There are a very small number of people in that category, he said, because there are so few cases available. Jobs said he wishes there were more people with cases, because then the problem wouldn't have been as widespread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 316
    Awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 316
    Problem solved i'd say. Bumpers that cost Apple $1 in production.
  • Reply 3 of 316
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Apple rules. Everyone else drools.
  • Reply 4 of 316
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I think they are working with 3rd party case makers on this, so it doesn't kill their sales.
  • Reply 5 of 316
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

Problem solved i'd say. Bumpers that cost Apple $1 in production.

They are also going to be allowing users some choice from sourced third party cases. These will probably cost Apple significantly more than their 1st party bumpers.
  • Reply 6 of 316
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.
  • Reply 7 of 316
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I think they are working with 3rd party case makers on this, so it doesn't kill their sales.

I thought they said they were going with 3rd party because they couldn't meet current demand with the Apple bumpers. Apple bumpers are also being given away.
  • Reply 8 of 316
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    Jobs is truly the best salesman on the planet right now. He turns a giant clusterF* into a PR coup simply by giving out free stuff that fixes a problem.

He said what needed to be said and what exactly creates the apple lovefest: "Apple loves its customers and we will fix this for you!"

it is what makes me always buy their stuff.

Now if only my iphone 4 would ship!!! I want mine!
  • Reply 9 of 316
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They are also going to be allowing users some choice from sourced third party cases. These will probably cost Apple significantly more than their 1st party bumpers.

I suspect if they wanted to be included as a choice, they will give Apple a reasonable rate.
  • Reply 10 of 316
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    I think it is a good move.

I would like to hear from everyone who said that there was no way in hell Apple would ever give away free bumpers though.
  • Reply 11 of 316
    what about the slow uplaod att thing? why did nobody ask abou that . it makes my phone useless when i am not in a wifi area.
  • Reply 12 of 316
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Oct. 1 iPod event with updated iPhone hardware fix?
  • Reply 13 of 316
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    So... Essential a Rubber Bandage for Apple Big BooBoo -
  • Reply 14 of 316
    that's the problem of AT& T, nothing Apple can do about. If you ask, they'll tell you that they're watching AT &T's progress in fixing it.
  • Reply 15 of 316
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    ZING !! I get a free case

Not had any issues with the signal but I will take a free £25 bumper case if its going
  • Reply 16 of 316
    ktronixktronix Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Oct. 1 iPod event with updated iPhone hardware fix?

Exactly, what happens AFTER Sept. 30?

I'm expecting there will be an antenna redesign.
  • Reply 17 of 316
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

I think it is a good move.

I would like to hear from everyone who said that there was no way in hell Apple would ever give away free bumpers though.

You won't, and if you were to remind them of what they posted, they'll deny it vehemently (even if you post the exact link).

That's the way of the fanatic -
  • Reply 18 of 316
    Yeah, good solution. Clip this on it'll work better.
  • Reply 19 of 316
    mutantmutant Posts: 12member
    Mark my words - There will be a lot of people that think this is bull and will try to sue. I'm glad Apple addressed this but there will always be people that will never be happy.
  • Reply 20 of 316
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktronix View Post

Exactly, what happens AFTER Sept. 30?

I'm expecting there will be an antenna redesign.

---Agree-what happens after Sept 30?!!!