Apple says software fix for iPhone 4 proximity sensor is coming

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said on Friday that his company is aware of problems with the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4, and that they are working on a software fix that is expected to be included in the next iOS update.

The statements from Jobs were the first official confirmation from Apple on the issue that users have been experiencing since the handset first launched in late June. Users have found that the touchscreen on their iPhone 4 will sometimes activate while on a call, resulting in accidentally pressed buttons that can place a call on hold or even end it.

Jobs also revealed that the white iPhone 4 is on track to ship by the end of July. Quantities of the model will be limited at first, but will ramp up over time.

And on July 30, the iPhone 4 will launch in 17 more countries, suggesting that the widely reported antenna issues with the handset will not delay the international expansion as some had predicted may happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Good... Though it should have been found during testing.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good... Though it should have been found during testing.

I'm with you on that. I get that things slip through, especially bugs and issues deep in the OS. But the antenna issue and this screen issue are glaring problems. How could they possibly slip by in a thorough and well-managed testing process?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Thank you Jesus. I've hung up, muted, and ear dialed more people than I care to admit
  • Reply 4 of 15
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have noticed that this is improved in 4.1 already.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Thank you Jesus. I've hung up, muted, and ear dialed more people than I care to admit

Me too, but I’ve have friends (who use their iPhone 4 as a phone a lot more than I do) that don’t have this problem. Their serial numbers seem to indicate that their production is earlier than mine. It’s possible Apple’s component supplier had some variances in their product or they had to switch component supplier in order to keep production up. Even a simple change like this can have enough variance to affect usability and wouldn’t be easily vetted by early testing, despite what Da Harder foolishly thinks.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too, but I?ve have friends (who use their iPhone 4 as a phone a lot more than I do) that don?t have this problem. There serial numbers seem to indicate that their production is earlier than mine. It?s possible Apple?s component supplier had some variances in their product or they had to switch component supplier in order to keep production up. Even a simple change like this can have enough variance to affect usability and wouldn?t be easily vetted by tested, despite what Da Harder foolishly thinks.

I agree. When the focus switches from making them right to making them as quickly as possible it's easy for things like a new component supplier to foul things up.

Jobs' figure of 0.55% of people calling AppleCare looks small until you realize that with 3 million sold, they've received complaints from 16,500 people.

If you've ever been to a basketball or hockey game you know that sixteen thousand people can make a lot of noise.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about a fix for us 3g dogged down with 4.0 users

SJ was spectacular, kick those whiners to the curb.

i guess we now know that cases will be rare at intro to keep the secrets secrets
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I have noticed that this is improved in 4.1 already.

Your asking for trouble by opening ur big mouth talking about stuff in public forums.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Yeah really. I can't even use mine without speaker. I mute the shiznit out of people!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Might be worth taking it back to the shop to get it swapped out. It couldn't hurt anyway. If the problem continues after then you might have to make a hard decision.

That is... unless you want to hang up on certain people

Perfect excuse - thats all I'm saying!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I found a way to downgrade to 3.x but now have to rebuild

EVERYThing lost cap lock but it's not bogged down

they need a good fix for 3g

my fix will be a new iPhone this November
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I found a way to downgrade to 3.x but now have to rebuild

EVERYThing lost cap lock but it's not bogged down

they need a good fix for 3g

my fix will be a new iPhone this November

There may be a way to restore your old settings. Are you not backing up your iPhone and desktop

OSes? If you are, then grab the last backup before upgrading to v4.0.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There may be a way to restore your old settings. Are you not backing up your iPhone and desktop

OSes? If you are, then grab the last backup before upgrading to v4.0.

thanks, that worked

and i found my cap lock setting

its snappier, but apple should address this for 3g users and make it simple ---the apple way
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

thanks, that worked

and i found my cap lock setting

its snappier, but apple should address this for 3g users and make it simple ---the apple way

1) I hate that caps lock isn?t on by default. It?s not like it?s an esoteric keyboard feature.

2) Yeah, I wish Apple had slimmed down v4.0 for the 3G more or at least making downgrading easier. It?s just too slow for the included version of 4.0.

3) I bet there are a lot more 3G users being negatively impacted constantly than there are iPhone 4 users being impacted occasionally by the 3G Spot issue. Why aren?t they getting Apple to release a press conference?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519

Maybe there are more important things going on in this world than the iPhone debacle...