Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Steve holding this press conference "the wrong way?.

Some idiot will say he is in 1, 2, 3.....
  • Reply 42 of 107
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    no, it is not closed. apple should and can fix the issue, otherwise, no one else can. i hope apple can contribute to cell phone antenna design for the industry which has been in a status quo for a long time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by obs1970 View Post

This has been way overblown by the media. Both my iPhone 4 and previous 3G drop calls at the same rate and locations. The iphone 4 is amazing, that is why it has a 1.7% return rate.

Apple did the right thing today. You live in low coverage area and your hands short the antenna, there is a free bumper for you. You don't like the iPhone with the bumper or without the bumper, return it for a full refund.

Antenna Case closed!

• Reply 43 of 107
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehrhards View Post

Perhaps it's because on iP4, there is an actual mark showing exactly where to "just touch" to get the signal to drop. That mark doesn't exist on the other phones, so maybe it's harder to locate the spot to touch for attenuation?

Dear God, don't confuse them with logic!
  • Reply 44 of 107
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Steve holding this press conference "the wrong way?.

That is SO funny! And original!
  • Reply 45 of 107
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Hard to argue with a 0.55% complaint rate, unless of course you assume that Apple is lying. Which, no doubt, some will.

I rang customer care about the reception issue i have and they told me they would not even register the call as all reception issues were a non event as far as Apple was concerned. So Steve's facts and figures DO NOT represent the full facts,..
  • Reply 46 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I don't have an iPhone 4 yet, but I'm very interested in getting one. That's why I haven't been commenting much, but I have been trying to follow this closely.

I agree they need more time to figure some things out.....and will eventually "tweak" the design.

On the issue of dropped calls.....the videos I've seen, folks have been experiencing the problem when the phone is held in their left hand and the data (via Speedtest) stops within seconds. This type of scenario would not be considered a "dropped call" for obvious reasons. Add to that, that using the same grip, would be quite awkward to be making an actual phone call up to your ear. I'm just wondering if this is why, when measuring just dropped calls, the problem seems pretty small.

Again, I'm not talking about the gradual drop in signal that every cell phone experiences. I'm talking about the almost immediate drop in data when you touch "the" spot.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Yes. I am a right handed person. I noticed the problem most when I would hold the phone in my left hand in the portrait position to type an email etc. That is how I held my 3G and my BB before then. The lower left corner of the phone hits the base below my thumb. Never had this problem with any other smartphone.

Maybe you weren't listening?

"...you can go on the web and look at pictures of nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say ?don?t touch here?...

We just spent the last hour going through how the iPhone 4 drops only 1 more call per hundred than the 3GS. ? Go talk to the Times, because you guys talk to yourselves a lot, and they?re just making this stuff up ...

And Finally:

We might have set the expectation that smartphones have weak spots? but the fact is, most smartphones seem to have the same characteristic as the iPhone 4. If you grip them in a certain way they lose signal strength dramatically, especially in a low signal strength area.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The photos of Apple's test equipment were impressive. Clearly they are doing things properly, and with the stats about other good phones having the same issue, I believe them that it's an industry wide problem.

The only reason it came in to prominence with the iPhone 4 I think is because they made the antenna physically visible, so people naturally tried experimenting with it. They saw the little gap in the antenna and thought it would be fun to start playing and covering it. But before the iPhone even came out, there were other phones with internal antennas and stickers saying "don't hold here."

By making that spot more visible, is where this whole thing came from, not because the device is a lot worse than the competition.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Hard to argue with a 0.55% complaint rate, unless of course you assume that Apple is lying. Which, no doubt, some will.

Quote:

Own one, am posting from it and love it. With a case it's great. Without it's often useless. I always have a case anyway.

You should not have to have a case on it to be able to use you phone,.. where on Apple's site does it advise potential customers that you need a case to be able to make the phone useable ,..?

I was hoping for more from Apple today, I am a sad Fanboy and really hoped that Apple could put this issue to bed but from reading the press conference I don't feel that they did, i come away kind of disappointed. I love my iPhone 4 but it definitely has issues which hand on heart i was hoping Apple had some kind of fix up there sleeves,..!

Its a long wait for iPhone 5 ,.. in some ways i wish i had not sold my 3GS as it performed better than my IP4
  • Reply 50 of 107
    drk_onedrk_one Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.

I'm in complete agreement with your statement. For Jobs to say that this situation was "blown out of proportion" because "only 0.55% of owners contacted AppleCare" is ridiculous. I, personally, couldn't be bothered calling AppleCare because I knew that it was an issue affecting so many others. Had it just been me who was experiencing this problem, I would have called them immediately. Instead, I put a Bumper on my phone, and took a 'wait and see' attitude.

His "0.55%" statistic is far from representative of the number of iP4 owners affected by this problem. Instead, (as he has in the past) he used this number as a way of dismissing the problem. It was a stupid thing to say...
  • Reply 51 of 107
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aquabella View Post

Actually, you are only an idiot if you don't return the phone when you are experiencing this problem.

HAHAHAAHHA!
  • Reply 52 of 107
    drk_onedrk_one Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Yes, I could manage to remove my pinky from the iPhone 4 and point it straight up like I'm drinking a cup of tea, but I won't.

HA! LOVE it... LOL
  • Reply 53 of 107
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Ok, waiting for the meat of this.

The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.

Silly? What should APPLE go by? I mean, they just SAID they sold 3 Million phones. They just SAID the return rate at the stores is LOW.

WTF?

I am a shareholder. Generally lying to shareholders or the public can cost you...

Get over it.

Am a marketing exec in L.A. I am dead sure Apple used it's stats to determine the gravity of the situation, DOH!
  • Reply 54 of 107
    Quote:

The song parodies the iPhone 4 antenna problems, and suggests that the media has blown the issue out of proportion.

The Media! Never! No way! You can't possibly be suggesting.

Blown out of proportion, Storm in a teacup, Something out of nothing, Mountain out of a molehill etc etc etc...

Keep it up Apple. Your obviously hurting the competition. Can't wait for my Free bumper.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

You should not have to have a case on it to be able to use you phone,.. where on Apple's site does it advise potential customers that you need a case to be able to make the phone useable ,..?

I was hoping for more from Apple today, I am a sad Fanboy and really hoped that Apple could put this issue to bed but from reading the press conference I don't feel that they did, i come away kind of disappointed. I love my iPhone 4 but it definitely has issues which hand on heart i was hoping Apple had some kind of fix up there sleeves,..!

Its a long wait for iPhone 5 ,.. in some ways i wish i had not sold my 3GS as it performed better than my IP4

Well it was pretty 'slick'. Apple is great at 'slick'

Example - the 1 out of hundred more dropped calls, can someone explain a little clearer for me what that means?

When I read that, my thought was- So the 3GS may drop at a .1% per call rate and the ip4 is at 1.1% rate? or 1000% worse... just as an example. Seemed like 'slick' answer. Same with the gripping the other phones. Apple admitted bars are not a good measure of 'recepetion'(if thats the correct term), but he presented... in BARS. The real answer is does it drop the call compared to 3GS. Antedotally, users say use.

But in the end, if there is no fix other than the bumper, Apple probably did all they could do- get a bumper or return it and move along. For me(3GS), looking forward to Iphone 5. But those android boys... are catching up.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mymoon View Post

Wow, I think Steve Jobs basically asked people to swamp his AppleCare folks regarding every little gripe about their products in today's press conference. I, for one and I bet I'm not alone in this, did not call AppleCare about the disappearing reception bars (continues to happen after installing 4.0.1 btw) because I knew Apple doesn't have a solution and that I'd be wasting my time on the phone to try and eke one out. I was playing the wait-and-see game.

But now Steve has sent a clear message that I should call their AppleCare line as soon as I notice any little problem no matter what.

Sigh, I'd better hold the phone 'correctly' or else my call might get dropped as I wait on hold...

YOU KNOW HOLDING IT INCORRECTLY WILL DROP CALLS, YOU'RE STILL DROPPING CALLS BECAUSE YOU INSIST ON HOLDING IT THAT WAY INSTEAD OF HOLDING IT IN WAY SO IT DOESN'T DROP YOUR CALLS, AND THEN YOU CAN GO TO DIFFERENT ONLINE FORUMS TO BITCH ABOUT IT.

You're genius and I admire you.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Silly? What should APPLE go by? I mean, they just SAID they sold 3 Million phones. They just SAID the return rate at the stores is LOW.

WTF?

I am a shareholder. Generally lying to shareholders or the public can cost you...

Get over it.

Am a marketing exec in L.A. I am dead sure Apple used it's stats to determine the gravity of the situation, DOH!

You are forgeting one thing, there are a lot of owners on the sidelines waiting to see what Apple did (or did not do). He used 'the appropriate statistics'(not lying) to tell(sell) his story. As an marketing exec, I would guess you more than most, must marvel at Steve's ability to speak(some say spin) to an audience. If you read his words, they are very good. I don't think its scripted, he's just a natural.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    I am hoping 30 sept means they are going to do some form of hardware fix to this. If they are i want to buy my iPhone4 now because i want to have one of the iphone4s that have the problem. It will be a talking point at dinner parties.

And these leads onto my other point which is that those who are saying this is a non issue are missing an important factor Since the iPod, Apple has not been a consumer electronics company, it has been a maker of cultural phenomena. If something similar to this event had happened to an Apple product 10 years ago it would have been a non issue. But today Apple's recent status as a maker of cultural phenomena means that the issue has create a media firestorm, one which will run and run. Whatever the rights and wrongs Apple will be known as the company that made the flawed iPhone4. They will still sell millions and millions of iPhone4 s, they will still make lots and lots of money: but they will be known as the company that made a phone which didn't work if you touched it in the wrong place. Google has made a ton of flawed products, but they are not known for doing so. Apple has made on e slightly problematic product but thanks to their previous success and the media they will be forever known as the company that made the flawed iPhone4. That is not a good place to be.

Right, i am off to check the o2 website to see if there are any iPhones in stock in Bristol.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    mplaisancemplaisance Posts: 105member
    Quote:

I am happy with the phone, because I have a case. IMO a phone should not require a case to work properly.

What really bothers me is the BS Jobs is feeding people. There is no question that this problem is far more prevalent on a phone where you're in actual contact with the antenna then when it's internal. All I'd like is some honesty which would do much to restore my trust in Apple.

It's people like you who have blow this thing up!! You say you like it yet you don't like it. Make your damn mind up. You either love it or hate it!! I mean yea there MAY be some signal degration in a poor signal area and maybe a dropped call or so but how has this changed since the release of the iPhone 4. People have been since mobile phones first came out complaining about "dropped calls". And until some company can come along and sprinkle some fairy dust on our phones I don't see much changing as far as "never" getting dropped. And signal drop does not "always" mean you are going to get dropped. It's digital! Not analog! You either have 0's and 1's or not. Not to say signal strength will not effect data! But for me? This new iPhone is smoking on the data side. I have download and upload speeds I wish I could get at home. 3 to 4 Mb up and down!!! But back to you!! Please return your phone sir. I know many many people who would bs happy to taking it from your "death grip" hands because you know you not giving it up.

PS let's give some credit too to Apple for thinking "outside the box" they tried something different. A different design and concept. Because as far as I am concerned I am tired of the same ol copy cat cheap plastic phones out there. Though my iPhone may not be "perfect" and sprinkled on pixy dust, it is unique. And BTW way no shit, I have yet(and I am sure I will) have dropped a call on my iPhone 4. That leaves much to be said in my case. Now proximity issue? There may be something there. My wife had noticed it on her iPhone 4. However hope a software issue will fix this and it is worth mentioning that maybe just maybe the proximity issue can be a factor in some of these dropped called cases since your cheek may hit the end call button and not so much the reception!!
  • Reply 60 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post

I'm in complete agreement with your statement. For Jobs to say that this situation was "blown out of proportion" because "only 0.55% of owners contacted AppleCare" is ridiculous. I, personally, couldn't be bothered calling AppleCare because I knew that it was an issue affecting so many others. Had it just been me who was experiencing this problem, I would have called them immediately. Instead, I put a Bumper on my phone, and took a 'wait and see' attitude.

His "0.55%" statistic is far from representative of the number of iP4 owners affected by this problem. Instead, (as he has in the past) he used this number as a way of dismissing the problem. It was a stupid thing to say...

I love this logic, don't base your data on the internal support group you have for customers that have issues?? What they should have read thru all the forums and made up a number from there?? Jeez your as bad as folks that complain about the government but don't vote because they feel it won't make a difference.

If you feel there is an issue, call applecare, get the issue logged so they can get the proper data, if you can't be bothered then return the phone or give it a rest already..