Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Comments

• Reply 181 of 316
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So explain how Apple is supposed to override the laws of physics. EVERY phone loses some signal when you place your hand in front of it. EVERY phone drops some calls. Just how is Apple supposed to get around those facts? If you have some magical way to circumvent electromagnetism laws, feel free to publish it and win the Nobel prize.

Seriously. Every phone has the exact same problem. But the whiners won't be satisfied unless Apple were to always release magical products.
  • Reply 182 of 316
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

The 30-day return window has already expired for most people who currently have an iPhone 4. Maybe they would have already returned them if it were not for the constant "stay tuned" comments implying a fix. AT&T has a restocking fee regardless and even Steve Jobs didn't really know what happens with your contract.

How is that? The phone went on sale on the 24th. The pre-sale dates don?t count as your 30-day trial period. How can you possibly try something when it?s not even on the market yet?

All cell phones in the US have this 30-day risk-free trial. This pre-dates the iPhone by many years. If someone is foolish enough not to pay the restocking fee, then that isn?t anyone else?s problem but that customer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, poorly worded question, was wondering if you still had the link or remembered the name.

? http://www.elementcase.com/iphone4.html
  • Reply 183 of 316
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ah, but the OP called people hypocrites for claiming no iP4 problems and being on the queue to receive a free case.

Certainly he was not lying-- so I'd like him to post a link to the queue, so I, too, can denigrate the hypocrites.

"greedy" is probably a better word choice than "hypocrite".

It isn't hypocritical to claim there is no problem but still want a free bumper.
  • Reply 184 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

The 30-day return window has already expired for most people who currently have an iPhone 4. Maybe they would have already returned them if it were not for the constant "stay tuned" comments implying a fix. AT&T has a restocking fee regardless and even Steve Jobs didn't really know what happens with your contract.

Macintouch says:

Full refunds within 30 days with no restocking fee for unhappy customers

http://macintouch.com/

I don't believe 30 days has passed yet. I got my iPhone 4 on June 24, when they were released. So the window has not expired for anyone yet.

How can you say it has "already expired for MOST people." That is simply not true.
  • Reply 185 of 316
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Ah, but the OP called people hypocrites for claiming no iP4 problems and being on the queue to receive a free case.

Certainly he was not lying-- so I'd like him to post a link to the queue, so I, too, can denigrate the hypocrites.

Me too! Those hypocrites need to be outed! I want a link to the queue!
  • Reply 186 of 316
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Seriously. Every phone has the exact same problem. But the whiners won't be satisfied unless Apple were to always release magical products.

Every phone's antenna can be shielded.

But what about shorting the two antennas together?

Jobs conveniently side-stepped that issue and you are apparently ignoring it as well.
  • Reply 187 of 316
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Have successfully downgraded my iPhone 3G to iOS 3.1.3. Will upgrade to an iPhone 4 toward the end of the year. Don't think any of these signal issues are a problem - I just don't need a new phone right now, and cash is an issue. Curious to see how iOS4 performs on my iPad. It was a dog on the iP3G.
  • Reply 188 of 316
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    I think the free bumpers thing is crap. I don't want a case around my phone. Why should I need an accessory to make a product work correctly?

Is Apple also going to start making a "bumper compatible dock" or "bumper sync adaptor" for third party accessories? With a case on my iPhone, I can no longer plug in anything I want to it (without taking the case off or modifying it).

This is a crappy solution.

I'll wait until after Sept. 30th to see what they come out with next. We need a REAL fix, not a case. Cases should be OPTIONAL for protection, not REQUIRED for the iPhone to work properly.

I used to own an iPhone 4, so I know exactly how it behaves and it's pretty darn annoying. It's pretty hard to not touch the seam in one way or another. I often found myself accidentally touching it barely and seeing my data stop completely... then I'm sitting there wondering what is going on, then I realize what I'm doing and as soon as I release my pinky finger, it loads again.

Today was a giant disappointment for me, and I'm still glad I returned my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 189 of 316
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Exactly, I think so too. I posted this in the other thread....this is from the Q&A from Mobile Crunch.

in the press conference, SJ said they will re-evaluate the situation at that date.
  • Reply 190 of 316
    Quote:

Gee, Boogerman, aren't you just assuming that others have the same morals and ethics as yours?

Hey, I bought a case from Radio Shack-- an Incipio DermaSHOT.

I bought it to protect the phone-- because soccer season is starting and I will be out and about a lot (4 practices and 2 games each week).

I bought a case for every iPhone I've owned.

I was hoping to buy a case with an external battery (like the Mophie JuicePack Air for the 3G and 3GS).

But nothing like that is available, yet, for the iP4. When I find a good one I will buy it! Some of those Saturday soccer games result in a 12-hour day. I plan to use the iP4 camera and the iPad CCC to capture extemperaneous videos while using my Panny VideoCam for more planned shotes. Either me, or one of the grand kids will be using the iP4.

Protection is a good thing

I returned my iphone 4 after two days and much consternation, so this free case offer doesn't affect me. However, my point was made to highlight those who were adamant throughout this ordeal about having 0 issues with their particular unit.

Anyway, it's been a weirdo few weeks for Apple and am still not sure exactly how I feel.

I know for sure that the phone itself is an outstanding piece of tech. However, after thinking through cases and potential resale value, I am contenido to wait for the next model.
  • Reply 191 of 316
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? http://www.elementcase.com/iphone4.html

Yes, that was it, thanks. That case might even be pants pocket friendly.
  • Reply 192 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I think the free bumpers thing is crap. I don't want a case around my phone. Why should I need an accessory to make a product work correctly?

Actually you don't. The three Apple execs on stage at the press conference all showed their iPhone 4s WITHOUT a bumper. It must work for them although I'm sure AT&T has made sure they get a good cell signal there!

From my experience, in a poor signal area, the bumper would help. In a good signal area, you don't need it. However, even without a bumper, I get better reception in my home than with my old iPhone 1.
  • Reply 193 of 316
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    So 0.55% have reported this issue through AppleCare. While that is one half of one percent (a small percentage to be sure), that amounts to 16,000 units. That would be the bare minimum affected if the 0.55% of those who reported to AppleCare represented 100% of the problems, but that's unrealistic. Because not everyone who buys an iPhone signs up for AppleCare, and not everyone who experiences problems necessarily reports the issues, the figure could be as high as 30,000 units.

If I were to guess, the problem may have stemmed from a couple of defective batchs... the number of units sounds about right. Batch defects happen, and considering how fast Apple was pumping them out of China... so fast that the screen adhesive didn't even have time to dry on the way over (causing the yellow blotches), this seems likely. Even if the defective units are that high, that's still only 1%. You're chances of receiving one are pretty rare.
  • Reply 194 of 316
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I can't believe that they are trying to appease the haters. That never works, and they will continue to whine and whine, even while enjoying the heck out of their IP4 and their free case.

True! But, in this case, Apple has outmanuvered the haters-- the blog/press will have little sympathy for those who will not choose between reasonable solutions-- return or encase.

I realize that there are still people with valid issues. But, Apple has made a reasonable attempt to satisfy the bulk of users with problems.

For those with valid issues that cannot be resolved with return or encase, I suggest you contact your vendor, Apple support and Apple Public Relations in that order. In 28 years of dealing with Apple, I have never felt I was treated unfairly or poorly.

That is one of the reasons that I continue to buy (and enjoy) Apple products and invest in Apple!

• Reply 195 of 316
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibuzz View Post

You know, probably the best thing to come out of this whole thing is that it has allowed me to update my ignore list.... "BASHERS BE GONE"

Some people would whine if you hung them with a new rope.

... that you bought from them LOL

• Reply 196 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Did some of you even read the transcript: They are NOT giving away Bumpers, only 3rd party cases, which are very cheap - the reason (supposedly) is because they don't have enough bumpers (BS). The cases are less than $1 to make, and the bumpers are high quality, multi-material, precision cases - totally different, and much costlier to make. This means Apple will still make a bunch of money, because no one will want to use the cheapo case, even if free. Loved his comment about Eminem maybe coming out with a piece of tape that everyone may want to use instead (what next "Eminem Personalized Battleribbon Duct-tape")

i believe you are mistaken. At least the live-blog i read (http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...7/iphone4.html) mentioned that they would give customers a choice of cases, including the Apple bumpers, they just can't make enough of the bumpers to meet current demand. So, they are giving us a choice, wait for the bumpers or choose one of several 3rd party vendors.

"Second, a lot of people have told us, the bumper solves the signal strength problem. Why don't you just give everyone a case? Okay. Everyone will get a free case.Refund if you bought a Bumper. For every iPhone 4 purchased through September 30.But. We can't make enough bumpers. So what we're going to do, is source some other cases and give users a choice of cases. And they'll be able to pick one. Apply on Apple website starting late next week. Pick a case, zoom, we'll send it off to you. That simple."
  • Reply 197 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gqmac View Post

actually - i know the factory - it costs just under $3

need physical proof of this...
  • Reply 198 of 316
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Just as annoying as being told to shut up after merely posting one's experience with the iPhone4.

But because you don't believe the problem is real, it seems that you're ok with people being told to shut up. Otherwise you'd be just as outraged at that kind of behavior. Perhaps more outraged. Instead, you've consistently harped on idiots from one side of the argument but not idiots from the other side of the argument.

Come on solipsism, i know you can be more level-headed than that.

It’s irrational to feel entitlement, no matter how you cut it. Also, I get on anyone’s case if I disagree with their position. No holds barred!

The issue with the iPhone 4 is simple. It’s either a phone that works for you or it isn’t. If it isn’t you can return it for a full refund. I did that with my iPad WiFi BECAUSE IT DIDN’T SUIT MY NEEDS… and that was a SW bug that appears to not have been addressed in v3.2.1 yesterday. I paid a restocking fee, because there was no implied promise that is would exactly like I expect the iPhone to work. I expected it to, and one day it likely will, but I felt no entitlement that it should because I wanted it to, nor did I feel that Apple owes me a explanation or some compensation for “ruining my life”.

It’s about being pragmatic and practical about any issue that arises.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

However, Jobs is still in denial…

[…]

I think that Apple will revise the design so that an accessory is not needed to mitigate the design flaw. And when those revised phones are available, owners of the current design should have the option to return their phone for a free upgrade.

You say Jobs is in denial of their being a "design flaw” but then go on to say that they are going to redesign the iPhone 4 to fix this “design flaw”? Do you not see how that contradicts your statement?

I’m still not convinced that better SW can’t alleviate some of the issue. We have a unique design and new TriQuint and Infineon chips. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think that better firmware could fix the issue. This could include having the device boost the signal strength on its end, which may require regulatory board testing.

Either way, the PR conference today was able “dramage” control, or fixing the customer’s mindset of Apple, not about fixing the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 199 of 316
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

... Because not everyone who buys an iPhone signs up for AppleCare ...

Everyone who buys an iPhone gets 90 days of complimentary AppleCare support (1 year hardware), so, yes, everyone who buys an iPhone "signs up" for AppleCare.
  • Reply 200 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by viennese View Post

Is the the free case offer is only for buyers of iPhone 4 in the US or also extends to international buyers in other countries ????

SJ was asked this by some reporter from Europe, the answer is Yes, globally.