Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 316
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

I agree. Anybody who acts as if Apple doesn't make mistakes and that all this hoopla was only by whiners (a lot of might have been, but there clearly were people who actually did own the phone who actually did have problems with it) is as much an idiot. People need to take a lesson from Steve Jobs. He doesn't pretend Apple is perfect and he doesn't even pretend that Google, Apple's rival, is pure evil.

I read this somewhere, and it makes a lot of sense about fanboys (Apple, Android, RIM, or any other)

"It's called appropriation. It means that people associate with the tools they use to the extent that they become an extension of their own identity. This entails a favourable view of the tools used and a bias against the ones that aren't.

It's a fairly well understood issue in social constructivist psychology and pretty much explains fanboys."
  • Reply 302 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

I read this somewhere, and it makes a lot of sense about fanboys (Apple, Android, RIM, or any other)

"It's called appropriation. It means that people associate with the tools they use to the extent that they become an extension of their own identity. This entails a favourable view of the tools used and a bias against the ones that aren't.

It's a fairly well understood issue in social constructivist psychology and pretty much explains fanboys."

The ultimate fanboy

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010...iter-profiled/

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann, who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage.

"The idea of Steve Jobs doing a little jig to my song, it doesn't get any more amazing than that for me," Mann said in an interview in his rumpled Berkeley apartment.

Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference.

"I knew the press conference was happening. I had my own opinions. The media was blowing this thing way out of proportion, so I wrote the song and sent it around to a few blogs," Mann said.

The marketing effort paid off. Apple contacted him early Friday morning to ask permission to play the song at the news conference.

"I created something at a moment that resonated with people in a way that was really positive and meaningful. That's what's so cool about it for me," he said.

According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.
  • Reply 303 of 316
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Happy with the IPHONE4 ..............keep it and if you want get the free case

UNHAPPY with the IPHONE4 ................. Bring it back get a refund!

Solution is clear. What more do you want. APPLE is not going to to a hardware fix, if they were they would have said so.

Case solves the problem. Had APPLE had cases in store from the beginning, most likely nobody would be complaing as most people put their IPhone in a case anyhow.
  • Reply 304 of 316
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Oh they ARE going to fix the hardware, if not in a revision after Sept. 30, then surely for iPhone 4S or 5 or whatever it may be called. Apple is not stupid, they will learn from this.
  • Reply 305 of 316
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I was waiting for Apple's response before I went ahead and bought an iPhone4. I am a current 3GS user, had one crap out on me 2 days after my warranty and Apple replaced it for free, so I feel like I have to use it for a while before I get another phone.

I wouldn't think that way. Think of it as an opportunity to resell your 3GS for a maximum amount due to the like new condition of the outside and the new battery in it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I'm not completely satisfied with the free bumper response, but it's better than nothing. I'd really rather they put some kind of permanent non conductive coating on the antenna so I wouldn't be required to put the phone in a case.

You can do it yourself with a ZAGG Maximum Coverage $25 or Edge Only $10 Invisible Shield for iPhone 4 kit. They have an ongoing weekly contest to win a free iPad that sends you a 20-50% off discount code immediately after you enter EACH WEEK. List price is $25. But I got mine for $12.50 because I've been entering their contest every week since it started in April right after iPads began shipping and accumulated three 50% discount codes in the process.

Watch this video of how their product completely solves this antennae problem in a transparent non-invasive way.

I would encourage everyone to call ZAGG Monday 800.700.9244 and ask if they are going to participate in Apple's Free Case program. I'm going to call and email the President of ZAGG at [email protected] and encourage him to try to make that happen since their solution lets people like you use their iPhone 4 without a visible case and yet never get scratched. Theirs is a military grade impenetrable plastic adhesive that super protects the iPhone 4 from any possible scratches. And the Maximum kit includes precut antennae coverage.
  • Reply 306 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I wouldn't think that way. Think of it as an opportunity to resell your 3GS for a maximum amount due to the like new condition of the outside and the new battery in it.You can do it yourself with a ZAGG Maximum Coverage $25 or Edge Only $10 Invisible Shield for iPhone 4 kit. They have an ongoing weekly contest to win a free iPad that sends you a 20-50% off discount code immediately after you enter EACH WEEK. List price is $25. But I got mine for $12.50 because I've been entering their contest every week since it started in April right after iPads began shipping and accumulated three 50% discount codes in the process.

Watch this video of how their product completely solves this antennae problem in a transparent non-invasive way.

I would encourage everyone to call ZAGG Monday 800.700.9244 and ask if they are going to participate in Apple's Free Case program. I'm going to call and email the President of ZAGG at [email protected] and encourage him to try to make that happen since their solution lets people like you use their iPhone 4 without a visible case and yet never get scratched. Theirs is a military grade impenetrable plastic adhesive that super protects the iPhone 4 from any possible scratches. And the Maximum kit includes precut antennae coverage.

How durable and protective are those clear Zagg covers ?? ?
  • Reply 307 of 316
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

The ultimate fanboy

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010...iter-profiled/

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann, who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage.

"The idea of Steve Jobs doing a little jig to my song, it doesn't get any more amazing than that for me," Mann said in an interview in his rumpled Berkeley apartment.

Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference.

"I knew the press conference was happening. I had my own opinions. The media was blowing this thing way out of proportion, so I wrote the song and sent it around to a few blogs," Mann said.

The marketing effort paid off. Apple contacted him early Friday morning to ask permission to play the song at the news conference.

"I created something at a moment that resonated with people in a way that was really positive and meaningful. That's what's so cool about it for me," he said.

According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.

Being a huge apple fanboy at least pays off, many of the most vocal fanboys actually get some notability.
  • Reply 308 of 316
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

How durable and protective are those clear Zagg covers ?? ?

Look at the video they have on their site showing them trying to scratch an IS protected iPhone 4 with a key, screws and an electric router to no avail. Nothing can penetrate an Invisible Shield. It comes from the military. It was developed by a Defense Contractor for protecting Military gear. It's better protection than any other brand. And I am not an employee of them at all.

Call them and talk to one of their CS operators at 800.700.9244 and they can tell you all you need to know. Plus they come with a Lifetime Warranty so they will send you a new set of covers if yours gets scratched too much - which is to say the IS may become scratched (not easily), but your iPhone 4 never will.
  • Reply 309 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The problem is not solved

It's been addressed.

Two very different notions.

It says anyway that the iPhone4, and even all the former iPhones do have a design issue.

This spat between Apple and the other smartphone makers is going to get worse. Especially when the iPhone appears on Verizon (and maybe Sprint).

Even though I think the situation is solved as giving a bumper/cover is effectively a redesign in the field - with the benefit of allowing users to select their color

Apple are going to have to:

1 - Coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray - so the issue is not reproducible on a phone without a cover/bumper

2 - Redesign and move the antenna inside the phone thus reducing aesthetics and forcing other compromises. Of course this is what the FanDroids and other Smartphone makers want. It also allows the "told you so" moment. I aslo feel this is why the debate is raging on. People - HTC, Google, Motorola, RIM, Nokia, Fandroids want their "Ha Ha" told you so moment.

3- Buy a company like Zagg with their clear sheilds and include them in the product when shipped

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

Even though the free bumpers are technically enough, Apple will have to do one of the above to really kill this IMO.

So which of the 3 suggestions listed above solves this matter for you ?
  • Reply 310 of 316
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Some people don't like cases and would rather see the pure design of the iphone. I wouldn't want a free case but a correctly-engineered iphone. It should have less dropped calls, without the case. So glad I didn't buy the 4.
  • Reply 311 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Some people don't like cases and would rather see the pure design of the iphone. I wouldn't want a free case but a correctly-engineered iphone. It should have less dropped calls, without the case. So glad I didn't buy the 4.

ZAGG's award winning, scratch proof invisibleSHIELD (Maximum Coverage)

includes strips to cover the antennas/stainless steel frame.

We also offer a sides only design

It's FREE

http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php

Bet you're still going to complain
  • Reply 312 of 316
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    I dont get it. On one hand they say it's bull but then they turn around and say iPhone 4 drops more calls that previous generations. Oh well. As long as this fixest the problem, it can finally be out to rest.
  • Reply 313 of 316
    I think the bumpers actually add to the beauty and versatility of the iPhone. It's like having a change of dress.... The thing I'd like to see is the Apple dock accommodate the Bumper since it's essential to have it onboard.
  • Reply 314 of 316
    anonymoanonymo Posts: 2member
    I realy would like a sena ultraslim case for my iPhone 4. Enyone knows what kind of cases apple will offer?
  • Reply 315 of 316
    Quote:

This spat between Apple and the other smartphone makers is going to get worse. Especially when the iPhone appears on Verizon (and maybe Sprint).

Even though I think the situation is solved as giving a bumper/cover is effectively a redesign in the field - with the benefit of allowing users to select their color

Apple are going to have to:

1 - Coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray - so the issue is not reproducible on a phone without a cover/bumper

2 - Redesign and move the antenna inside the phone thus reducing aesthetics and forcing other compromises. Of course this is what the FanDroids and other Smartphone makers want. It also allows the "told you so" moment. I aslo feel this is why the debate is raging on. People - HTC, Google, Motorola, RIM, Nokia, Fandroids want their "Ha Ha" told you so moment.

3- Buy a company like Zagg with their clear sheilds and include them in the product when shipped

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

Even though the free bumpers are technically enough, Apple will have to do one of the above to really kill this IMO.

So which of the 3 suggestions listed above solves this matter for you ?

I believe that Apple will simply coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray. It will be most cost effective way of handling the situation (As long as they do not use one with lead or another bad chemicals!)
  • Reply 316 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The problem is not solved

It's been addressed.

Two very different notions.

It says anyway that the iPhone4, and even all the former iPhones do have a design issue.

Very true, they are two different points that a lot of people interchange.