RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference

Comments

• Reply 321 of 547
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can someone remind me what the return rate is for the iPhone 4? The ".55%" represented what???

The return rate for the iP4 is less than one-third of the rate for the 3GS, which is the most popular phone in the entire world. That is all we need to know.
  • Reply 322 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

One has to wonder just how much companies like Nokia or RIM helped fan the flames of this fury, and how much fuel they actually contributed to the fire.

I mostly blame Google.
  • Reply 323 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

no one missed this. what you are missing is that this appears to meaningfully effect a very very small number of iPhone 4 users,

A VERY small number of iP4 users. And every other cellphone on the planet has worse reception issues when held in certain ways. But the media has gone crazy and blown things WAY out of proportion.
  • Reply 324 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

99.45% is simply astounding - way to go Apple.

Seriously. Most consumer products have a MUCH higher return rate than that.
  • Reply 325 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I mostly blame Google.

I actually blame websites like Gizmodo that hunt for iPhone's etc in the wild - during the field testing. Forcing Apple engineers to disguise phones in covers.

Then I think Apple's rivals smelled blood and went for it. Thing is now Apple know their in a guerrilla war rather than a fair fight and will hopefully do something about it. Ironically Apple turned out to be right. This DOES change everything again.
  • Reply 326 of 547
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Nokia is just plain pathetic. They should just sell everything and return the money to the stockholders.

How old are you? 13?
  • Reply 327 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/17/h...ntage-pew-pew/

"Whereas Apple claimed over 0.55 percent of customers called AppleCare with reception-related complaints, HTC's Eric Lin told Pocket-lint the Droid Eris technical support rate was 0.016 percent, nearly thirty-four times lower"

Do they even stop to think? Just for a half a moment?

The iP4 has sold MORE than 34 TIMES that of the stupid droid. Of course they have more complaints.
  • Reply 328 of 547
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

How did "My iPhone drops calls when I hold it in my left hand" evolve into this DEATH GRIP debacle?

Surely DEATH GRIP isn't the the reason for people's original complaints? Why do people go on about DEATH GRIP so much when it obviously isn't the source of the hysteria.

Apple has done well to deflect attention away from the real issue.

And so have the diehard fanboys around here. Lets ignore the fact that the issue is far more exaggerated in the iphone4 than other devices, and instead point out how when you squeeze ANY phone the signal degrades, this way Apple can be let off the hook entirely.

If I get an iphone4, I'll just buy a case with it. I'm not going to ignore the phone's issues because a bunch of stock holders on AppleInsider told me to. I know what's up, and I now know what to expect. For those who have the phone right now and are complaining about the issue, get a case, return the phone, or STFU.

The iphone4 has reception issues, deal with it people.
  • Reply 329 of 547
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    This thread is doing it for the iLulz!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Did anyone is as sensitive as I'm when using cell phones? My head gets heated up after good 5 minutes of use....

This is (ironically?) all in your head.
  • Reply 330 of 547
    Quote:

The iP4 has sold MORE than 34 TIMES that of the stupid droid. Of course they have more complaints.

if you can prove the iP4 has outsold the HTC phone by 34 times you should go viral with it - at worse it implies Apple has the same complaint rate as HTC
  • Reply 331 of 547
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

... Lets ignore the fact that the issue is far more exaggerated in the iphone4 than other devices ...

Why ignore it, that's the whole point. The problem has been exaggerated far more by the die-hard trolls and those with a vested interest.
  • Reply 332 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Many studies have shown that about 52% of the American population is so staggeringly stupid, they can't pick out their own home state on a map.

And THAT is why Apple makes products that are drop-dead simple to use.

They are the smartphone for the rest of us. Apple products can be picked up by pretty much anybody, and they already know how to use them, no owner's manual required.

Apple makes stuff that anybody can use and that everybody loves.
  • Reply 333 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

This issue doesn't occur in the same was as Apple claims on all smartphones. I have tried serveral phones to replicate in a similar manner as Apple claimed and to replicate I would have to grab firmly around the screen to effect the siginal, and that would be pointless since I would have trouble seeing the screen. Apple designed the phone so you had no choice but to grab the antenna when holding it, do you have trouble with this "fact"

So are you saying the 0.55% figure Jobs stated was US only, it doesn't include the people in Europe that also purchase the iPhone 4?

Maybe Apple should have kept their mouths shut and not dragged others into their issue, after all it is the iPhone 4 that the iPhone users are having the issue with, not the other brands.

Jfanning : I have blackberry bold 9700 and replicated that effect a number of times in normal use, I never made an issue because it never made me drop calls. Please put your common sense hat on and stop pushing garage arguments, if you do not like Apple say so.

I did not know that entire Europe had launched the iPhone4 as yet ?
  • Reply 334 of 547
    The more I hear people complaining about death grip, the more I am convinced that these are mostly from people who want their calls to fail.

Seriously, if I am in a low signal area I would try all means to boost the signal rather than grabbing the phone in a death grip to make it fail !! It just doesn't make sense!!

The statistics have shown that very few people are facing serious enough issues to call for help or return the phone (say about 2%). So it is clear that the ones who are making all the videos and the noise are deliberately seeking out weak coverage spots to make the videos and pictures and spread FUD. Period.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1mad.gif
  • Reply 335 of 547
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

I see you are confused what the word "percentage" means. It does not matter how many more units Apple has sold vs HTC. They didn't say X number of units where being returned. They gave a percentage. I suggest you look up the meaning of percentage. The fact remains, HTC has a much lower return rate.
  • Reply 336 of 547
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

And THAT is why Apple makes products that are drop-dead simple to use.

They are the smartphone for the rest of us. Apple products can be picked up by pretty much anybody, and they already know how to use them, no owner's manual required.

Apple makes stuff that anybody can use and that everybody loves.

Apple: Doing it for the dummies since '76

"Even if you do occasionally forget to put on pants, it still just works!"

• Reply 337 of 547
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

And so have the diehard fanboys around here. Lets ignore the fact that the issue is far more exaggerated in the iphone4 than other devices, and instead point out how when you squeeze ANY phone the signal degrades, this way Apple can be let off the hook entirely.

If I get an iphone4, I'll just buy a case with it. I'm not going to ignore the phone's issues because a bunch of stock holders on AppleInsider told me to. I know what's up, and I now know what to expect. For those who have the phone right now and are complaining about the issue, get a case, return the phone, or STFU.

The iphone4 has reception issues, deal with it people.

You're on appleinsider, of course there will be fanboys who will defend apple to the death. There are pretty much 3 major types of people on this forum.

1) Diehard fanboys. Their opinion changes along with every press release apple makes. They believe there is NOTHING wrong with the phone and the iphone has the EXACT SAME issues as any other phone. Their arguments consist of regurgitating everything Steve Jobs has said about the issue. These people don't seem to grasp the difference between the effect on the iphone from a touch vs squeezing the life out of competing phones.

2) Rational iPhone owners/prospective buyers. These people recognize that the iPhone is more sensitive to touch than other phones, but since the issue is fixed by a case and many are unaffected, they don't care about it. If an otherwise excellent phone is fixed by a case for those affected, its up to the user if a case is a dealbreaker vs ownership of the phone.

3) Irrational trolls. These people endlessly aim to convince people this issue is massive, and seek out confirmation from Apple users to reaffirm their dislike for apple. These people can be seen endlessly posting only the negative aspects of the iphone or rejoicing whenever there's a news report or article with negativity about the iphone. These people don't seem to grasp that while there is an issue, most people DON'T CARE and as long as it can be easily remedied its fine with most.
  • Reply 338 of 547
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Something that just caught my eye when browsing engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/17/h...ntage-pew-pew/

"Whereas Apple claimed over 0.55 percent of customers called AppleCare with reception-related complaints, HTC's Eric Lin told Pocket-lint the Droid Eris technical support rate was 0.016 percent, nearly thirty-four times lower"

Perhaps .55% is nothing to crow about? Just putting it out there. A number by itself may sound impressive but put into context and it takes on a different meaning altogether. I know nothing of the general or accepted rate of reception related issues but these two data points are quite disparate.

Firstly not going to say to you that 0.016% is BS, let you use that inaccurate rate, but what is the total number of iPhone 4 vs. Droid Eris.

Understand data before you use it in argument, it is not good to play native!
  • Reply 339 of 547
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Firstly not going to say to you that 0.016% is BS, let you use that inaccurate rate, but what is the total number of iPhone 4 vs. Droid Eris.

Understand data before you use it in argument, it is not good to play native!

The iphone has likely sold more, which would leave it with a higher amount of devices for a given percentage.
  • Reply 340 of 547
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

You're on appleinsider, of course there will be fanboys who will defend apple to the death. There are pretty much 3 major types of people on this forum.

<snip excellent post>

We have a winner.

Mods: You can close this thread now.