Supplier's machines can only make 3 iPhone 4 glass panels per hour

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i find it odd how much at times we invest of ourselves in inatimate devices

for me the 15 MBP 3.02 GHZ was the cats meow .

yet i would never cross the line like the poster above and ponder and fret so much over a delayed color .

i hope your just blowing off steam ..if not consider speaking to someone .

either way goodluck dude i hope your white comes soon

peace 9

Sweet Jesus, people. Apparently, you're all reading in to my posts too much. I'll be no less or more frustrated than any other person who has been waiting out for the white iPhone. Yes, I guess I'm blowing off steam after reading this article because it's not good news for those who are really wanting one.

And goodness, just because I want a white one doesn't mean I'm really invested in material things. If that were the case, I would have already gotten the black one. I spend little disposable cash, and when I do, it's on technology or traveling.

It's an internet forum, and clearly my intentions are getting misunderstood. I assure you, I'm not fretting over this...I'm able to happily sleep at night...just wish I could upgrade to the white one.

Side note: not a dude...I'm a chick
  • Reply 22 of 75
    I wonder if the White is going to take part in the international launch on July 30th. I've already got the friday morning off to be able to camp in front of the store the night before and stay there until it opens. I'm getting as many as I can.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Looks like the problem lies with the opacity of the paint. White paint may be more translucent than black, hence requiring a heavier coating just so the components inside don't show up as discoloring from the outside. Yet, if the paint is too thick they say it interferes with the digitizer overlay. \

I'm all for an unpainted, crystal clear iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

From reading the report--sounded like the panel was painted--but then again I could be wrong--no matter hope that they can meet production quotas otherwise there are going to be some angry people.

It's pigmented aluminosilicate glass. The pigment is part of the glass, not painted on the surface.

Then the surface is coated with a clear oleophobic coating.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh man! I hope they figure this out somehow, soon. Otherwise, I am going to have a slightly unhappy person at home, who has been waiting (patiently, so far) on my advice. \

They shipped 1.7 M the first day and passed 3 M less than a month later. They're making a ton of them. Why get worked up about an anonymous report?

The black one is shipping within 3 weeks -- about the same as it has been since just before the launch, so production is keeping up with orders. The white one is a different issue - presumably due to the difficulty of making a flawless white glass.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The black one is shipping within 3 weeks -- about the same as it has been since just before the launch, so production is keeping up with orders. The white one is a different issue - presumably due to the difficulty of making a flawless white glass.

It's strange that Apple's ship time is still 3 weeks. We just ordered my husband's today at a local AT&T store and had it shipped to our house. They said it would be here within 5-10 business days.

Hopefully the fact that they are reportedly only producing 3 glass components an hour means they're taking their time in production to make sure the white is flawless.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I can't believe that they did not work this out before things went into production. Hope that there will be no QC problems with the paint job.

Just how many machines are there cutting the glass panels?

Suggest that before releasing the white model, that they QC the white models to make sure that there no problems--Don't think that Steve wants to hold another news conference soon.

If Steve has to meet the press with another "issue", he'll just come out to center stage and say, "Free White cases!" and then walk off stage.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

So explain to me how I get rid of the anonymous aspect on an internet forum? Sheesh. I've shared just as much frustration with co-workers, friends, and family.

It's easy to make a claim about someone being small-minded when you have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.

I don't think you quite understand the idea of being small-minded. I can accept and understand production issues, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept them with a . Rather, I'll accept them with a .

Edit: Frustration vs. anger. Now you're talking semantics. Who cares what emotion I choose. Yeah, I'll be a little frustrated and angry. You should probably be a little slower in your accusations claiming that there are a lot of idiots residing here regardless of how much truth lies in your accusation. It could possibly be a case of pot calling the kettle black.

don't ever buy a ferrari or a boeing 787 unless you want to take grumbling lessons.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

so there is 200000 machines cutting glass??

60000 machines ??

No, just five heavily overworked Chinese nine-year olds.

/snark

GTSC
  • Reply 28 of 75
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

Sweet Jesus, people. Apparently, you're all reading in to my posts too much. I'll be no less or more frustrated than any other person who has been waiting out for the white iPhone. Yes, I guess I'm blowing off steam after reading this article because it's not good news for those who are really wanting one.

And goodness, just because I want a white one doesn't mean I'm really invested in material things. If that were the case, I would have already gotten the black one. I spend little disposable cash, and when I do, it's on technology or traveling.

It's an internet forum, and clearly my intentions are getting misunderstood. I assure you, I'm not fretting over this...I'm able to happily sleep at night...just wish I could upgrade to the white one.

Side note: not a dude...I'm a chick

dude is non genderous

sorry if i over read your post

goodluck carmel
  • Reply 29 of 75
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

No, just five heavily overworked Chinese nine-year olds.

/snark

GTSC

maybe this will replace the antenna fiasco

the missing white phones !!!
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It was the most successful product launch in Apple's history.

With the clumsy launch day with internet problems, the antenna issues and the ongoing supply debacle? I'd say as a launch it rated 2nd on the disaster scale to the me.com meltdown. Popular product? Yes. Best launch ever? That sounds more like the corporate hyperbole I'd expect from Cupertino.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said on Friday that the white iPhone 4 remains on track to ship by the end of July.

If they ship so much as one phone, this statement can still be true. But supply issues again? You don't say.

3 phones an hour... that's pretty funny
  • Reply 31 of 75
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That white is ugly. Who wants that? I like my phone the way I like my women, black.

Well, I love and married a Hispanic woman.

Where is my color?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post

It sure is if one hides behind the anonymity of the internet.

I can understand being frustrated. But anger? Either case, it won't speed up the manufacturing process. Turning idiots into lunatics faster?perhaps. And there appear to be a lot residing here.

What do you want everyone to do, include their phone numbers on their posts? Would that give everyone the right to voice their opinions?

You don't have to understand anger. What you do need to understand is that anyone can have any emotion they please, any time.

If you don't like the crowd, get lost.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    I like the Contour showcase, have one for my 1/2g iPhone. They have a coming soon up on their site but no pics of what it looks like for the 4g.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

I display *my* iPhone 3GS and the 3G before it in a Contour Design Showcase. It's *really* obvious that it's a white iPhone... (clear plastic panel showing the back of the phone)

The belt clip allows easy access to the phone and the case is great at absorbing the energy of impact. Mostly I just worry about picking up the phone rather than it's condition. At any moment it can find the phone, like recently where a rude FU Asian customer pushed by me, knocking it to the floor without sustaining any damage. My daughter has dropped it down a stairwell at school without harm.

The only change I'd *really* like is for Contour to epoxy the clip parts, rather than just melting four pins down a bit. I *do* pop that part. Oh, and something erroneously regarded as an issue is the case popping open sometimes when you drop it. I'd say the force used in opening the case releasing energy that would have gone into the phone instead, reducing potential damage.

Anyways, I'm waiting to replace my white iPhone 3GS with an iPhone 4, too. Oh, and cash flow is an issue, too.

• Reply 34 of 75
    ernstcsernstcs Posts: 27member
    Dear Apple,

What the US needs right now are some more manufacturing jobs for the many people here, in the US, that currently do not have jobs.

If you're having issues getting enough production out of your factories in lands far away, perhaps consider building a few of them here so you could be one of the few electronics manufacturers that can say Made in the USA.

There are many people looking for a job in the US so you should have no problems finding people willing to work for you at a minimal wage. It may not be quite as cheap as those foreign countries we are all becoming way to dependent on for EVERYTHING (which can be a problem), but your margins are so high I think you may be able to afford it.

After all, when I'm ready to buy my two iPhone 4's later this year...I actually want some to be available.

Think Different...make different.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Dear Apple,

What the US needs right now are some more manufacturing jobs for the many people here, in the US, that currently do not have jobs.

If you're having issues getting enough production out of your factories in lands far away, perhaps consider building a few of them here so you could be one of the few electronics manufacturers that can say Made in the USA.

Think Different...make different.

I like this idea. You should email jobs with this.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Sounds like some serious manufacturing inefficiency...
  • Reply 37 of 75
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh man! I hope they figure this out somehow, soon. Otherwise, I am going to have a slightly unhappy person at home, who has been waiting (patiently, so far) on my advice. \

-> http://www.zagg.com/personalize/zagg...sign/white.php
  • Reply 38 of 75
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would like to have ordered a white one but I couldn't wait. My iPhone 3G was rendered useless by iOS4 and I wasn't going to keep paying on a contract for a device that I can't use. Didn't want to cancel and renew later and loose my grandfathered limited unlimited plan either. Besides I have mine in a case so you can't really see much.

I don't understand why you can't order one on the website and get the clock started. They don't even have one on display at my Apple Store.

I should order ten of them and put them on eBay. Rabid Apple fanbois will suck them right up. SLURP!!

I think its a bit extreme to say that iOS4 renders the 3G useless. I have it on my 3G and although its a bit slow at points, in general it performs fine.

That said, you can remove it. Just google "How I removed iOS4 from my iPhone 3G" - step by step instructions anyone can follow. I did it and know it works. That said, I went back to 4 because I really like the additional benefits.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I like this idea. You should email jobs with this.

Seconded. It would make the users happy.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, I love and married a Hispanic woman.

Where is my color?

Haha, Hispanic women are hot but I don't think there would be much demand for a brown iPhone