Supplier's machines can only make 3 iPhone 4 glass panels per hour

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

If there is an extreme shortage of white iPhones once released, you bet I'm going to mad. I won't be mad and expect anything in return. I'll be mad for the simple fact that I've had to wait for a month and then still not be able to get one. It's not small-minded to express my anger.

It's simply frustrating to have had my mind made up since the announcement of this phone only to be let down severely on pre-order launch day with the announcement of the white iPhone status. 3 million people are already enjoying their black iPhone 4 while a lot of people have been patiently waiting for the white one. It just kind of sucks when you get down to it.

I can hold out though...

I know what you mean
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Black is the new black. So there. Problem solved.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The alleged problems were revealed this week ..... said that the manufacturing issues come from a factory in China ....... A worker with the company's quality control department said that the company is still trying to work out the right balance of paint thickness and opacity, in order to ensure the panel allows enough space for the digitizer overlay, but also gives the level of white that Apple expects the product to have.

Originally Posted by FineTunes

I can't believe that they did not work this out before things went into production. Hope that there will be no QC problems with the paint job.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not a paint job.

Originally Posted by FineTunes

From reading the report--sounded like the panel was painted--but then again I could be wrong--no matter hope that they can meet production quotas otherwise there are going to be some angry people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Looks like the problem lies with the opacity of the paint. White paint may be more translucent than black, hence requiring a heavier coating just so the components inside don't show up as discoloring from the outside. Yet, if the paint is too thick they say it interferes with the digitizer overlay. \

I'm all for an unpainted, crystal clear iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's pigmented aluminosilicate glass. The pigment is part of the glass, not painted on the surface.

Then the surface is coated with a clear oleophobic coating.

AI report called it a paint job ø (?). The pigment is applied to the surface of the glass not mixed with the glass when it is formed--otherwise the glass would be totally opaque.

"The process is fairly simple where by the dry powders are arranged on sheet glass in any desired pattern or design. The glass is then fired in a kiln only to the point of making the powder stick to the glass, leaving the powder in what appears to be a soft powdery form as opposed fully fusing the powders into the glass."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_painting
  • Reply 44 of 75
    sinceresincere Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Dear Apple,

What the US needs right now are some more manufacturing jobs for the many people here, in the US, that currently do not have jobs.

If you're having issues getting enough production out of your factories in lands far away, perhaps consider building a few of them here so you could be one of the few electronics manufacturers that can say Made in the USA.

There are many people looking for a job in the US so you should have no problems finding people willing to work for you at a minimal wage. It may not be quite as cheap as those foreign countries we are all becoming way to dependent on for EVERYTHING (which can be a problem), but your margins are so high I think you may be able to afford it.

After all, when I'm ready to buy my two iPhone 4's later this year...I actually want some to be available.

Think Different...make different.

I agree
  • Reply 45 of 75
    oh hell no i just bought/ordered an iphone 4 at at&t on saturday i better get it by friday because i need it for school next monday
  • Reply 46 of 75
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I can't believe that they did not work this out before things went into production. Hope that there will be no QC problems with the paint job.

They are working it out before the white iPhones go into production. Unless you wanted them to hold up the black iPhone as well .
  • Reply 47 of 75
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That white is ugly. Who wants that? I like my phone the way I like my women, black.

Practicing polygamy 'ey? So you choose women based on the colour of their skin? Good luck with that mate. I hope you become very happy in life.

BTW: Against to what media teaches you women are not objects. But I think you talk about them as such. Oh, and I'm not a woman.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

I'm all for an unpainted, crystal clear iPhone 4.

Great idea!! That would be such a unique product. I would get that over the white or black. Hope someone at Apple is reading this thread for the idea.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synotic View Post

They are working it out before the white iPhones go into production.

If the white iPhone 4 was to be released around the 2nd half of July, don't you think that this should have been done already?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synotic View Post

Unless you wanted them to hold up the black iPhone as well .

Never said or implied, nor is there any reason why this would be necessary.

If I was to get an iPhone 4, would get in black. Planning to get iPod Touch around first of next year--in black
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themv21 View Post

oh hell no i just bought/ordered an iphone 4 at at&t on saturday i better get it by friday because i need it for school next monday

So presently you don't have any phone at all? Should have ordered earlier.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I sure hope they give USA customers first dibbs on White orders. If the supply is so small, we deserve to get them first here in Apple's home country. I'm checking the Apple Store app every hour to be among the first to order mine when they finally start letting us place one. Wish Apple would pre-announce the day they will let us order.   
  • Reply 52 of 75
    tiffytiffy Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That white is ugly. Who wants that? I like my phone the way I like my women, black.

Then Apple should produce yellow Iphones also...
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I sure hope they give USA customers first dibbs on White orders. If the supply is so small, we deserve to get them first here in Apple's home country. I'm checking the Apple Store app every hour to be among the first to order mine when they finally start letting us place one. Wish Apple would pre-announce the day they will let us order.   

Well I don't.

And you deserve it?? Why? It's because of almost USA-exclusive connection problems that the iPhone4 got such a bad mouthing. I think countries with better carriers (and consequently happier customers) deserve it more
  • Reply 54 of 75
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    This is a little nice hint for all VZW stock bulls as to how much yet another phone model may cost to manufacture.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Like watching (white) paint dry takes a whole new meaning.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My first though is that the industry has been using laser based devices to cut glass panels for laptops and such for years. It is possible though that Gorrilla glass doesn't respond we'll to lasers.

So they might gave to use abrasive cutting methods. Even so four an hour sounds awfully slow. This makes me wonder if they are talking about the whole fabrication process.

In any event I wouldn't be surprised to find that the hold up is the white paint they want to apply to the external antenna. In other words Apple wants to ship the White iPhone with an insulated antenna. I know that is what I would do to placate the people that can't grab the iPhone properly. If they can make it pretty and more reliable at the same time they will.

The interesting thing here is that I went with the white 3G. If I do upgrade this would be the color I'd go for. Right now the issue is budgeting for either an iPad or an iPhone. Tough.

IPhone 4.0 has a lot of bugs and some nasty performance issues on the 3G. I'm actually hoping for a rev that addresses these issues. I hate to go back to 3.x as 4.0 fixed a lot of bugs in that rev. Now it has it's own bugs and nasty performance issues. Some of those issues appear to be bugs that are unrelated to hardware.

This has me wondering how many 4.0 complaints are actually software issues that are not hardware specific. For example 3G appears to be especially pathetic on the 3G, yet we here blame being put on the iPhone 4s hardware.

I got side tracked there a bit. It will be interesting to see demand for the white when it arrives.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 75
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiffy View Post

Then Apple should produce yellow Iphones also...

You forgot green. If you think we're alone you're wrong!
  • Reply 58 of 75
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Oh, buyers, you seem just having never seen weeks of overnight shifts to just properly tune software, which is supposed to work on factory lines...
  • Reply 59 of 75
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Steve Jobs needs to "accelerate" the production schedule: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk
  • Reply 60 of 75
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    I think the article is a little vague, it says that they can only make 3 or 4 an hour, but how many are they normally able to produce if there are no problems?

Also this is per machine, how many machines do they have doing this?