124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    I'm waiting for a pink model
  • Reply 62 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

With the clumsy launch day with internet problems, the antenna issues and the ongoing supply debacle? I'd say as a launch it rated 2nd on the disaster scale to the me.com meltdown. Popular product? Yes. Best launch ever? That sounds more like the corporate hyperbole I'd expect from Cupertino.

If they ship so much as one phone, this statement can still be true. But supply issues again? You don't say.

3 phones an hour... that's pretty funny

So you are willing to believe a rumors site which says they can make 3 per hour instead of reality where Apple delivered 3 M phones in under a month? Of those, 1.7 M were on launch day, so they produced at least 1.3 M more in the next month. That's a lot better than 3 per hour.

As for the launch being a disaster, the numbers speak for themselves:

- 1.7 M phones on launch day

- 3 M phones in first month

- 1.7% phone returns (70% lower than Apple's previous best selling 3GS)

- 0.55% complaints about the antenna

Any company on the planet would kill for such a 'disaster'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Dear Apple,

What the US needs right now are some more manufacturing jobs for the many people here, in the US, that currently do not have jobs.

If you're having issues getting enough production out of your factories in lands far away, perhaps consider building a few of them here so you could be one of the few electronics manufacturers that can say Made in the USA.

There are many people looking for a job in the US so you should have no problems finding people willing to work for you at a minimal wage. It may not be quite as cheap as those foreign countries we are all becoming way to dependent on for EVERYTHING (which can be a problem), but your margins are so high I think you may be able to afford it.

After all, when I'm ready to buy my two iPhone 4's later this year...I actually want some to be available.

Think Different...make different.

You're talking to the wrong people. At least Apple keeps its support in the US - unlike most companies. It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to have manufacturing for a high volume consumer electronic device in the US. Environmental laws, health and safety laws, and much higher wages make it unprofitable from the start - and that's before you even consider currency manipulation that China does.

If you want to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., you need to talk with your legislators to address those issues - either by changing the laws or adding tariffs to level the playing field.

Of course, in the latter case, you're going to be paying a LOT more for everything you buy at Walmart.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

AI report called it a paint job ø (•). The pigment is applied to the surface of the glass not mixed with the glass when it is formed--otherwise the glass would be totally opaque.

"The process is fairly simple where by the dry powders are arranged on sheet glass in any desired pattern or design. The glass is then fired in a kiln only to the point of making the powder stick to the glass, leaving the powder in what appears to be a soft powdery form as opposed fully fusing the powders into the glass."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_painting

Which (even if AI is describing the process correctly) simply confirms what I said. The color is a pigment that is part of the glass. It is not a paint. Apple specifically called it pigmented glass during one of their descriptions of the phone. Painting is an entirely different process. If it were painted on, it would be easy to scratch the paint off the glass - which doesn't happen.

(Hint, AI rumors are not a reasonable source of facts).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I sure hope they give USA customers first dibbs on White orders. If the supply is so small, we deserve to get them first here in Apple's home country. I'm checking the Apple Store app every hour to be among the first to order mine when they finally start letting us place one. Wish Apple would pre-announce the day they will let us order.   

If Apple does that, all the non-US customers will complain. Again, there's nothing Apple can do that won't draw complaints.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Haha, Hispanic women are hot but I don't think there would be much demand for a brown iPhone

There was a brown Zune!
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Dear Apple,

What the US needs right now are some more manufacturing jobs for the many people here, in the US, that currently do not have jobs.

If you're having issues getting enough production out of your factories in lands far away, perhaps consider building a few of them here so you could be one of the few electronics manufacturers that can say Made in the USA.

Think Different...make different.

Gawd, I hate it when people say things like this. You want to see more things made in the USA? Are you willing to open your wallet and pay MORE for products? Are you willing to pay the overhead for an iPhone made by workers in a Union shop? Oh that's right. You said you want to see "minimal wage" jobs created.

How much money do you make? Do you make "minimal wage?" I bet you don't cause if you did you wouldn't be able to afford to shop at the Apple store and be an Apple fanboi.

Cut the talk radio mentality crap. You are like everybody else. You want it cheap and you want it now. You are an American!!
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You want it cheap and you want it now. You are an American!!

Well said and true
  • Reply 66 of 75
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap will ya? We've all got our tooling, cutting, milling, sanding, polishing, strengthening, cleaning, coating, printing, baking, treating, assembling, and packaging to deal with. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of tooling, cutting, milling, sanding, polishing, strengthening, cleaning, coating, printing, baking, treating, assembling, and packaging -- they're CUTTING and they're SANDING, I can't stand it anymore! They're CUTTING and they're SANDING and they're POLISHING! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug?!
  • Reply 67 of 75
    The real question is how did the supplier set the pricing? If they set their pricing on being able to be more efficently over time (which I am sure they did) they are in trouble. There is no way they set their original pricing on producing so few units per day. Eventually the supplier will go out of business (if they can't find a quickier way to produce) and then Apple will have to find a new supplier and the screens won't be so cheap. Of course then Apple will pass along the price to us.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gjadkins View Post

The real question is how did the supplier set the pricing? If they set their pricing on being able to be more efficently over time (which I am sure they did) they are in trouble. There is no way they set their original pricing on producing so few units per day. Eventually the supplier will go out of business (if they can't find a quickier way to produce) and then Apple will have to find a new supplier and the screens won't be so cheap. Of course then Apple will pass along the price to us.

I wish people would quit with this "so few units per day" nonsense.

What we know is that Apple delivered 3 M iPhones to customers in the first month. We have a RUMOR that they're only producing 3 glass blanks per day.

Which one is more credible?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    He-he. I was always stunned by the fact, that a useless piece of shit employed in polishing keynotes for his boss is permanently late on all his projects and is making absolutely equal number of errors as the arrogant piece of crap hired to install LHC modules.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

(Hint, AI rumors are not a reasonable source of facts).

It's not?
  • Reply 71 of 75
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Those glass panels are supposed to be harder than steel or something, but mine already has two (small) scratches on the front. I'm guessing that came from going into the same pocket as my keys, since the phone hasn't had any more abuse than that. Anyone else experience this?

I would have been more careful if it weren't for the hoopla about that special glass.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I would like to have ordered a white one but I couldn't wait. My iPhone 3G was rendered useless by iOS4 and I wasn't going to keep paying on a contract for a device that I can't use. Didn't want to cancel and renew later and loose my grandfathered limited unlimited plan either. Besides I have mine in a case so you can't really see much.

I don't understand why you can't order one on the website and get the clock started. They don't even have one on display at my Apple Store.

I should order ten of them and put them on eBay. Rabid Apple fanbois will suck them right up. SLURP!!

How has it been rendered useless with iOS4? My wife's doesn't have any issue with it, she said the camera takes a little longer to activate, but otherwise it is fine. You might only need to reload a few apps on it to fix it.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    How many machines can the company that makes the machines make per hour?
  • Reply 74 of 75
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    Now if they had a "limited edition" transparent iPhone that would be cool (just no paint), sounds easy enough.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Just off the phone with an Apple Rep who Said that White Pre-Orders Will Begin Tuesday July 27. He can't guarantee it, but he says he read that somewhere internally lately. Told him it was very annoying not to be able to place the order now rather than have to keep checking the store every hour to try and be among the first to place an order for one.