Mysterious new Bluetooth Apple product given FCC approval

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An unnamed new Bluetooth-equipped Apple product, first submitted to the Federal Communications Commission for review last October, was granted regulatory approval this week.

The mysterious new device was listed Monday on the FCC's website. The hardware was connected to a MacBook via Bluetooth, and no mention of Wi-Fi or cellular data wireless radios was made in the filings.

On page 45 of the FCC documents, the device is referred to as a "Bluetooth Trackpad" created by Apple.

The only other hint included in the filing is that it is a rectangular shaped device, and its FCC/IC label location will be located on its bottom side. The unnamed "Bluetooth device" has a model number of A1339.

Initial testing with the hardware was completed last October, with an issue date on the report reading Oct. 7, 2009. The documents were made public Monday by the FCC.

Rumors of a multi-touch standalone trackpad style device, dubbed the "Magic Trackpad," first surfaced about the time the FCC was testing this unknown device last year. The name became known in February, when Apple applied for ownership of the trademark.

Then, in June, photos of the alleged hardware surfaced online. The information would seem to suggest that Apple has had the new hardware lying in wait for some time, which would fit with the documentation accompanying Monday's FCC approval.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    How about a small touchscreen to accept gestures like the iPad and iPhone along with maybe displaying a numeric keypad or other keyboard input layouts. That would be sweet.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    starnycstarnyc Posts: 24member
    the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Hell, I'm just tickled my headset is now fully functional under bluetooth and the iPhone 4 (the FWD and BACK buttons now work...Woot

I hadn't considered a touchscreen for this device. I assumed it would be a touchpad (albeit of a much larger scale) like we see on the Macbooks. You bring up an interesting point. A true touch screen keyboard for a desktop (or laptop) PC. I wonder if such a thing would appeal, or if they would just stick to simple basics like programmable buttons (ala Logitech IR remotes).
  • Reply 4 of 78
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Cool.

But the haters lose their minds in 3,2,1...
  • Reply 5 of 78
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.

Much more likely a Trackpad with all the bells and whistles of a MB/MBP trackpad that could bring older notebooks up to date as well as being an option to the mouse for iMacs and Mac Pros. I would look for it to be about $69 and designed to fit nicely with and iMac and allow the gesture capabilities that the desktops don't have.

I think it would be a wonderful replacement for my aging Kensington Trackball.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

How about a small touchscreen to accept gestures like the iPad and iPhone along with maybe displaying a numeric keypad or other keyboard input layouts. That would be sweet.

Why would you want to look away from the monitor just to move the cursor?

That would be even worse than a touch-screen monitor and no mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Hmm..I wonder if they could also be delving into tablets ala Wacom? That would be an excellent addition to the Mac line for artists
  • Reply 8 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Looks too much like the wireless keyboard to be a hand held device. I'd guess that it's a non-display multi-touch pad that would optionally replace the Magic Mouse.

Why no display? Because the last thing you want to do is force the user to look at a pointing device. You want to keep the user's eyes on the main screen. This reduces fatigue and saves time. (Same thing with TV remotes by the way: they should be usable without the need to look at them.)
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Been waiting for decent affordable wireless earbuds all my life.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i think StarNYC has it right.

who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?

I think this is an input device for an iOS to be used without a touchscreen [like your TV]. i'm thinking some form of pointer onscreen shows your fingers location on the trackpad, and additional finger pressure allows for iPad/iPhone style flip-scrolling and clicking.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i think StarNYC has it right.

who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?

I think this is an input device for an iOS to be used without a touchscreen [like your TV]. i'm thinking some form of pointer onscreen shows your fingers location on the trackpad, and additional finger pressure allows for iPad/iPhone style flip-scrolling and clicking.

While that might be nice, I think it's more likely a standalone trackpad, and I would replace my magic mouse with a trackpad in a second, even though I'm very happy with the magic mouse.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

That would be cool, but judging by the pics it uses AA-batteries and it doesn't look like an LCD on top with li-Poly batteries underneath to allow for extended use before charging is part of the design, but that would be cool.

I fully expect their notebook trackpads to get that before too long. Dell has already experimented with that on the Adamo.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Been waiting for decent affordable wireless earbuds all my life.

Rectangular earbuds
  • Reply 14 of 78
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    My shot in the dark:

A wireless glass trackpad to paired with the new appletv for gesture support with iOS
  • Reply 15 of 78
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I hope Apple has decided to complement the new media-friendly Mac Mini with a livingroom-friendly keyboard. I have been using a Logitech bluetooth keyboard with a crappy track-disc int he lower right corner. It's better than a keyboard & separate mouse (or so I thought until I got a Magic Mouse).

I used to use a Mighty Mouse & Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with me Mini and I got sick of using two devices...The mouse is just not in its element on a couch.

Apple has validated the living room, media center use of the Mac Mini with its recent redesign. Its only logical that Apple makes a living room savvy input device.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I am pretty sure this is the long rumored iPhone shuffle.

No display, one button to call any random person on your contact list.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    I think it's the Apple "magic" trackpad...there were pictures floating around a few weeks ago...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._from_fcc.html
  • Reply 18 of 78
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm intrigued

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I am pretty sure this is the long rumored iPhone shuffle.

No display, one button to call any random person on your contact list.

• Reply 19 of 78
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Bring it on! Trackpads are so much better than mice. The new multi-touch MBP trackpads really set the standard.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    it's the new external bluetooth antenna. You shove it up your....